PDA

View Full Version : Had to open Ephant Mon

DarthWitko
12-09-2002, 01:02 PM
I know this guy is hard to find and I probably should have kept him in his package for value but he just sat there and looked at me and said "Open Open". I have to say he looks so much better open then in the package. This is one awsome figure and looks great in my Jabba the Hut display with all the aliens. Hopefully someday I will find a second to buy to display with my packaged figures but I do recommend to everyone to open this figure. The guilt goes by quickly once you see the detail. It is amazing. My vote for best figure ever by hasbro.

stillakid
12-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by DarthWitko
I have to say he looks so much better open then in the package.

Didn't you know that Hasbro uses special "ugly-filterized" plastic to make the bubbles? ;)

Chiesa
12-09-2002, 02:33 PM
Great!! He is free!!

Beast
12-09-2002, 02:40 PM
He's not going to be worth much of anything, in the long run. So better that you open him anyway. With so many carded collectors, and people buying with hopes of being able to sell them later and put their kids thru collage, no modern figures will ever be worth vintage type prices. :)

So no need to feel guilty at all. You freed a toy from a plastic prison, what was meant to happen. Rejoice in your deed. Toys can't really be admired and enjoyed fully, thru the plastic bubble that they are encased in. Now you should open more, enjoy your toys. After all, that's what they were made for. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthWitko
12-09-2002, 03:18 PM
I am starting to see that. I am starting to become more of an opener. The only ones I really like to keep in the case are the rare ones like the Bloody Hand luke and the 25th anversary R2. But anything else is fair game for opening. I am enjoying creating scenes for my 3 3/4" figures. I think is such a better way to display them then hanging the cards on the wall.

clonehead
12-09-2002, 07:45 PM
i don't believed you opened it! i mean ya there might no value found in him in the long run, but you can't tell that now! i would think it would be ok to open him up later once you got another one, but i would agree with you that it does look very cool

jjreason
12-09-2002, 10:22 PM
Open open open everything. To keep them carded is so sad and antiseptic. One of the best nights of my life was the "revelation" that everything had to be opened - it took me about 5 hours to crack them all (complete run through Flashback, all cracked on one night, with numerous vehicles as well!) and I was exhausted at the end, but we all slept so much happier!

Ephant Mon is really sweet loose, though he does cut an imposing swath through a group of carded figures. Either way, he's a sure fire hit. Size DOES matter!

Adam
12-09-2002, 10:25 PM
I wish I could find one so I COULD open it! :crazed:

Jayspawn
12-09-2002, 11:50 PM
Right on DarthWitko! I've been an opener for about 3 years now and I enjoy a whole new side of Star Wars collecting.

Dar' Argol
12-10-2002, 12:06 AM
*in evil vioce* Yes, all of you open you figs. Everone open them . . . all of them!!! . . . . . . .Me??? Uh . . . . Well . . . . I think I'm gonna leave mine carded . . . . . . . . for no particular reason . . . . . . Really!:evil:

"To Open, or not to Open. This is the eternal question!"
There have been sooooo many debates on this subject. I say good for you! Do what makes you feel right. For the longest time I was a Carded Only collector . . . . . Now I'm a Carded/Loose collector. I keep most carded still . . . . not for value, but I like the way everything looks hanginf up on my walls, in perfect order. But I usually buy a second of ones I deem "Really cool and need opened!". These are placed in a 7'x3'x2' display case I have. Mainly cause these things are a bugger to dust!!.

So I say do what makes you happy and to heck with everyone else. Besides, its your collection, not theirs:D

DarthWitko
12-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Amen. The way I figure I am never going to sell these things anyways. So I just figure if I have a place set aside for an open figure, I am opening it. I still like to keep some carded but it is so much fun to open up the figures and make cool scenes with them. Right now I have a whole basement dedicated to star wars toys and so now that I have the room the figures are being released from thier plastic prisons and put into recreations of the movies that made me enjoy this wonderfull hobby.

OriginalBryGuy
12-10-2002, 02:36 PM
You crazy openers!

If you're wanting to do it, why not just save them carded and let your kids or grandkids open them instead?

How cool would it have been if your parents or grandparents had given you vintage toys for christmas to open!!!

:D

I just can't justify opening my collection. Not because I think I can sell them, but because I'd have no place to display all the hundreds of figures I have. Plus, I'd most likely loose all the little pieces. Better to keep them carded (for me anyway).

SplFrcsCWO
12-10-2002, 06:48 PM
The "investment" mentality is creeping into all areas of collecting. It's really bad with pre-ban weapons and transferable MGs. Newcomers pay ridiculously high prices expecting the value to double tomorrow and triple by week's end. If you want to invest- get a broker and buy stocks. Buy a toy, gun or comic book because you will ENJOY them (and the price you pay).

Darth Sidious
12-10-2002, 07:58 PM
I am glad you opened him, with that size and that scent (Or so I've heard) it would be a shame to leave him trapped. As for me-I'm an opener. The only ones I have carded are the Silver R2 and Orange Carded Stormie Luke. If I ever got the Silver Vader or Jorg Sacul (Which I don't see happening soon) they'd stay carded. Figures like Silver Vader/R2 just look better in their unique packaging, imo. 300th Boba Fett...well, if I had him, I think I'd open him, the articulation and everything is just cool.

Old Fossil
12-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Some figures display very well carded. TC-14, for example, and (of course) many of the vintage figures.

jgmcmana99
12-11-2002, 11:43 PM
I have been an opener from the begining. From star wars tomany other figs. I tell collectores around here about it,and I get ridiculed. I think the only thing that sucks is DUST!:D

manji
12-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Could someone please break down the case assortment with Ephant Mon in it? I have not seen hide nor hair of this figure, and it's the only one out right now that I really want. If I knew who he was packed with, I would at least recognize evidence of him when the case arrived. By the way, I did check the case assortment forum and I didn't find the answers I sought. Thanks!

Beast
12-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Ephant's in 2 different case assortments, as far as I know. Here's the most current one that I know off. :)

Star Wars Collection 2: Wave 9:

2x Ephant Mon: Jabba's Head of Security
2x Watto: Mos Espa Junk Dealer
2x Lott Dodd: Neimoidian Senator
2x Tusken Raider with Massiff
1x Ki-Adi-Mundi: Jedi Master
1x Teemto Pagalies: Pod Racer
1x Endor Rebel Soldier
1x Massiff with Geonosian Warrior

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
12-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by jgmcmana99
I have been an opener from the begining. From star wars tomany other figs. I tell collectores around here about it,and I get ridiculed. I think the only thing that sucks is DUST!:D Ridiculed? Thats BS! Don't let anyone here make you feel that way. Do what you like with your collection. I like my stuff on card, but I do open my favorites. The MON had to come out, but not before I had a Minty one on card. I can't believe Hasbro was able to keep Mon's hair nice and clean. I thought for sure there would be brown paint all over his face. Nice job Hasbro. Sorry to say I'll take it back on the next wave.:(

Banthaholic
12-14-2002, 10:29 PM
I found this beast todat at Target, I was expecting a great figure and what I got amazes me even more so. This guy is HUGE!. They only had 1, and I found a nice won so I'll leave it carded, although the next one I see is coming home with me and being paroled from the plastic prison.

SplFrcsCWO
12-16-2002, 06:48 AM
Go ahead and open him. The market will be flooded with more eventually.

Banthaholic
10-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Go ahead and open him. The market will be flooded with more eventually.
I'm sure glad I diddn't listen to the above advise. I did see him 3 times after my initial find, but never as mint as the first one.

Turbowars
10-19-2003, 04:32 PM
With so many carded collectors, and people buying with hopes of being able to sell them later and put their kids thru collage. Jar Jar Binks If anything you might be able to pay for books, at least one or two.;)

darthzirock
10-30-2003, 02:34 AM
I managed to get my hands on one Ephant Mon figure and opened that sucker up while still in my car! There was no hesitation, no indicision, just my pocket-knife prying the blister bubble away from the card--because I do save the cards and inserts! Yes, the figure looks wonderful on display, free of his plastic bubble prison!

Devo
10-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Oh...my...god. I'm not alone. You're all exactly like me. I'm an opener....that is I 'open' my figures. But I wasn't always. Like JJreason, I had a revelation one night as I looked at my barren EPII geonosis arena and suddenly felt a strong urge to slide a blade under the bubble of my EPI Adi Gallia and ever-so-tentatively draw it all around until the bubble could be lifted and the figure within taken out. It then came to my attention that I had just opened one of my figures.

What had stopped me before? Like Clonehead my policy had been to wait till I got a second copy before opening a figure and it was rare that I did this. One day however, before my revelation, I decided to open a figure BEFORE having bought a second copy. I had a certain comfort zone then since I knew that particular figure(can't recall which) was in plentiful supply at the store. This may have been a turning point that set me down the wonderful road I'm presently on.

Like Dar' argol I liked the way figures looked in their package hanging on the walls. It was only by opening my figures, over a period of 2 weeks no less(I deliberately drew out the process, about 200 figures), that I came to prefer the way they looked outside the boxes. If I could have it both ways then I'd readily buy two of everything. However, as I learned the hard way, expense inherent in doubling up on everything is too much for the mere student and there was also the question of space.

How did I justify my 2 week opening spree? I was finally assembling dioramas for one thing and once you start on that there is no stopping. But fundamentally it occurred to me that,yes,like Darthwitko, I never had any intention of selling my toys-ever. And as JarJarBinks outlined there are many reasons to believe that the modern line will never achieve the lofty worth of the vintage line.

Collecting colleagues I implore you, open your blessed toys.

Oh and I've been one of the lucky people with regards ephant mon. There was tonnes of them in a Dublin toy shop and I bought two, one I have left in the package since he isn't appropriate for any other scenes I have going at the moment.