PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings!!!!

clonehead
12-09-2002, 10:10 PM
i got my tickets to the 11:59 pm on wendsday, what about you?

Old Fossil
12-09-2002, 10:23 PM
I saw FotR the day it opened. My wife had purchased advance tickets for a 12:00 showing, which the theater sold to her in error. They only fixed the error after she left. End result: when we showed up for the movie, we were the only ones, but they had to show it since we had tickets. My wife and I ended up getting to see "Fellowship" on the day it opened with NO ONE ELSE in the theater. Incredible!

I doubt we got to see TTT on the 18th, though. Probably will wait a week or so, after the crowds thin a little.

clonehead
12-09-2002, 10:26 PM
sounds fun, but i like beeing in that type of atmosphere

QLD
12-09-2002, 10:47 PM
I'll probably catch a a matinee on Thursday.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-09-2002, 10:59 PM
I thought it was scheduled for a December 18th opening? Must have been moved up then. Anyway I am glad I only had to wait a year to see the next installation. I saw TFOR on opening night last year and I would love to do the same this year for the TTT.

clonehead
12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
it is the 18th, but i guess the early showing is at 1159 on the 17th

jjreason
12-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Ill be there as soon as work/family/time permits - ie opening night if possible! TTT is shaping up preeeeety nice by the looks of the TV spots. Can't wait!

EricRG
12-10-2002, 12:55 AM
I'll be catching it X-mas day with my family in NY. Want to go on opening night, especially since I can WALK to the theatre, but I've committed to waiting.

It should be cool...although I REALLY hate that they have already shown Gollum and that Gandalf is alive in the previews.:mad:

Emperor Howdy
12-10-2002, 01:36 AM
That's no big deal. Any fan of the trilogy knows Gandalf didn't die.

Dar' Argol
12-10-2002, 02:07 AM
I'll be seeing this as soon as I can afford to, X-Mas can really wipe out a person's wallet.

BTW, this should be in the Movies: Other section. So its getting moved:D

InsaneJediGirl
12-10-2002, 10:01 AM
I'll probably wait until the crowds thin a bit.However,that might be a bit hard.I saw FOTR in January last year and the theatre was still packed for the mantee showing.I cant wait for the battle at Helm's Deep:D

Sentinel18725
12-10-2002, 10:53 AM
InsaneJediGirl,

Mantee did you mean matinee or did you mean Manatee. Cause it would be awesome to see LOTR with the big sea creatures.....just hope they include tarps so I don't get wet when they splash around with excitement!:crazed:

EricRG
12-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Howdy of course every fan of the trilogy knows that...but can you believe there are actually people who haven't read the books??? Are you trying to tell me that every single person who saw FOTR read the books? Just because you read the books, doesn't mean everybody else did!

The Overlord Returns
12-10-2002, 01:02 PM
Apparently a buddy of mine is ordering me to see it with him opening day, regardless of the fact that I didn't like the first one, and I was never a "fan" of the books :rolleyes:

I guess he just likes to torture me.....

InsaneJediGirl
12-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Sentinel18725
InsaneJediGirl,

Mantee did you mean matinee or did you mean Manatee. Cause it would be awesome to see LOTR with the big sea creatures.....just hope they include tarps so I don't get wet when they splash around with excitement!:crazed:

I meant matinee,I was in a rush this morning,and you know,typos happen:D:crazed:Manatees are ugly creatures anyways,why would you PAY to see them.

Jayspawn
12-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Almost a week away, I'm really looking forward to The Two Towers. I didn't read the books, so most everything will be a suprise to me.

clonehead
12-10-2002, 10:25 PM
i just can't wait until it comes out, i never read the book cause i would confuse the most obvious things, like thinking that frodo was a wizard, but i can't wait to see what is going to happen in this movie

Darth Cruel
12-11-2002, 12:51 AM
I was downloading the movie from Kazaa when my fiancee cancelled the download. She told me that we WILL be seeing it in a theater together first! I am such a lucky man to have a lady like her.

clonehead
12-11-2002, 09:59 PM
6 more days! i can bearly controll myself!!!!

Old Fossil
12-12-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by clonehead
i just can't wait until it comes out, i never read the book cause i would confuse the most obvious things, like thinking that frodo was a wizard, but i can't wait to see what is going to happen in this movie

Frodo is a hobbit [FRODO LIVES!!!] and there are no hobbit wizards, "wizards" in Middle-earth being a term peculiar to five individual beings, namely, Saruman the White, Gandalf the Grey, Alatar the Blue, Pallando the (lesser) Blue, and Radagast the Brown, who were in essence NOT of any race in Middle-earth but something else altogether, though they took the form of Men, the latter producing nice people like Ringwraiths when they turned to "magic," being easily corruptible and all, unlike Hobbits, who rarely if ever used "magic," Bilbo and Frodo being sort of an exception, though they were AFFECTED by "magic" rather than wielding any real power therein.

How can that be confusing?:confused:

Just kidding. Really, clonehead, you MUST read the books! The movies truly are wonderful, but so much had to be left out. Tom Bombadil, Radagast (see above), the Barrow-wights, and oodles of juicy history. Not to mention GLORFINDEL, who was REPLACED by someone who shall remain nameless here, since she's so fine.:kiss:

jpak001
12-12-2002, 11:27 PM
I can't wait to see this flick! Got my free ticket from the special edition dvd in hand, and ready-to-go!

I'll try to go opening day, but don't mind waiting a few days if it'll make it that much easier.

Prince Xizor
12-13-2002, 11:42 AM
I already have my opening day tickets. Myself and 24 of my friends. It's gonna rule.....

Eternal Padawan
12-14-2002, 05:44 AM
I may have to speak up in defense of the noble seacow, also known as a manatee. Shame on you for sullying it's honor with disparaging remarks?

Glorfindel was a chump. I'm glad he got cut.

Oh yeah, I'll see it Wednesday (even though they show it at my theatre Tuesday night, I will be unable to attend due to circumstances beyond my control... :( )

JediTricks
12-15-2002, 11:46 PM
I went to Harry Potter 2 today at the local theater, the Vista at Hollywood blvd & Sunset (and 4 other streets, it's a horrid intersection) and there were folks from TheOneRing.net camped out waiting for Wed! Mind you, the Vista is a lovely and comfortable old independent theater that's been recently restored (including the main area having half its seats taken out for nearly 7 feet of forward legroom!!!), but it's not a major Hollywood landmark like the Chinese or something, so I was surprised to see them there. But good for them, I'm glad to see Star Wars fans aren't the only dedicated movie fans out there. :D

BTW, I don't think the books are a necessity to enjoying the movies, I really didn't like any of the books when I read them but I thought FOTR was a great film. I almost didn't see it though because of my dislike of the books, which would have been a real shame because it is truly a big-screen movie.

Chiesa
12-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Oh yea!! I'm trying to get the book! All my friends have suddenly conveniently lent the books to other friends! Sigh... Looks like the books gotta wait for awhile more and the movies will come first :)

mrmiller
12-16-2002, 02:08 PM
A general Rule Of Thumb- Do not read the book first if you plan on seeing the movie.

If a movie is based on a good book, it will never be as good as the book. If you read the book first, you are setting yourself up for disapointment. A 2 or 3 hour movie just cannot contain all the things that the book can. But most often it's a great idea to read the book after you see the movie. Reading th book after you see the movie will add a lot to the movie. It usually helps you understand things not really described in the movie, as well as adding story elements the movie omitted.

=MATT=

BanthaPoodoo
12-16-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by mrmiller
A general Rule Of Thumb- Do not read the book first if you plan on seeing the movie.

If a movie is based on a good book, it will never be as good as the book. If you read the book first, you are setting yourself up for disapointment. A 2 or 3 hour movie just cannot contain all the things that the book can. But most often it's a great idea to read the book after you see the movie. Reading th book after you see the movie will add a lot to the movie. It usually helps you understand things not really described in the movie, as well as adding story elements the movie omitted.

Case in point, Jurassic Park The Lost World...... :rolleyes: ugh, how they destroyed the book by turning it into a movie..... oy vay....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Been looking forward to TTT since FOTR came out.... I have my free ticket from the DVD in my hand so I will be seeing it Wednesday as well... Cant wait either..... Whoohoo!!!

mrmiller
12-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BanthaPoodoo
Case in point, Jurassic Park The Lost World...... :rolleyes: ugh, how they destroyed the book by turning it into a movie..... oy vay....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All of Michael Chriton's books seem to be this way- anyone who has seen the horrid Congo knows this. The book was awesome, one of his best. But after seeing the movie, then reading the book, the movie was not so bad.

=MATT=

Old Fossil
12-17-2002, 10:27 AM
'The Fellowship of the Ring' is one case where the movie stayed pretty much true to the content & spirit of the book.

Unfortunately, seeing the movie before reading the book may not allow the individual the chance to develop their own ideas and images; for example, what certain characters and locations look like. I found that, as one who read the book many times over the years before the film, my personal notions of principal elements in FotR remained unchanged, or were enhanced by the film.

Pendo
12-18-2002, 06:02 PM
Just got back from seeing TTT, and what can I say? I'm speachless!!!

It was FAN-SMEGGIN-TASTIC!!! I enjoyed every second of it, just as good as Fellowship, if not, better!

I have never read the books, so the entire movie was a surprise to me :). I LOVE Golumn, they're such a cool character :D!

I can't wait until Friday now, I'm going again to see it :p.

How long to wait for the DVD ;)?

PENDO!

Jedi Law Student
12-18-2002, 07:51 PM
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the movie review thread, but I figure maybe they'll be merged. So, I'll just post it here.

I thought "The Two Towers" was fantastic!! I went in with this bias: I think the second book of a trilogy is usually the best. I just thought the whole movie was very moving. The return of Gandalf was brilliant! I also thought the scene where Gandalf calls Shadowfax to him was beautiful. Gollum was neat, too. I enjoyed watching his argument with himself. Gollum's voice is just perfect too! "Filthy little thievesss..." Another thing that I thought was cool was the little exorcism (for lack of a better term) that Gandalf performed on King Theoden. The Ents rocked! Enchanted forests are one of my favorite aspects of Middle-earth. Oh, and Eowyn is cute! But then, so is Arwen! ;)

After the movie, someone asked me whether I liked TTT better than the Fellowship. I said I'd have to think about it. I'm still not sure. I liked the soundtrack for the Fellowship better, but I think overall, I like TTT just slightly better than the Fellowship. Like I said, I just found it moving throughout.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-18-2002, 11:25 PM
Wow, just wow- saw it at 12:01 am at Lennox on OSU campus. Fantastic film!!! I loved Gollum's performance. I hear that Peter Jackson and New line pushing for an oscar for Andy Sekis, the guy who "played" gollum. I felt so bad for her at some points and even was even thinking, "awwwwwwww, poor guy!" I nearly wet my pants with Legolas' shield trick during Helms deep.

Seeing it again tomorrow @8:45 and saturday night again. cheers!! :D

derek
12-19-2002, 10:53 AM
I felt so bad for her

is this a typo, or is gollum actually a female? it that the "she" he was refering to who would kill sam and frodo?

EricRG
12-19-2002, 11:19 AM
Derek, you don't REALLY want to know the answer to your questions, do you? It's only a year...

Mandalorian Candidat
12-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by derek
is this a typo, or is gollum actually a female? it that the "she" he was refering to who would kill sam and frodo?

I haven't seen it yet but from the director's commentary of the FOTR set I believe I know who the "she" is you're referring to.

If you can't wait another year, just grab a copy of TTT and skip to the last few chapters.

JON9000
12-19-2002, 03:17 PM
I don't think I am spoiling anything by saying that Gollum/Smeagol is a male and the "she" referred to is a trap Gollum is leading the hobbits into. I assume the next movie will open with that sequence.

Old Fossil
12-20-2002, 12:44 AM
You know, you folks who are wonderin' don't have to wait a year to find out who She is...

...just...

...read...

...the...

...books!!!

You'll be glad you did. Trust me.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-20-2002, 12:44 AM
I have to do some quick Monday Morning quarterbacking here. I haven't seen TTT yet (I'll see it tomorrow morning) but why would PJ end the movie at a different place than the book? Granted I don't know the movie's ending, but I don't see what could be a better cliffhanger than the one written by JRR himself.

How does the movie's ending compare to the book in terms of being a good cliffhanger?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-20-2002, 01:14 AM
Jackson wanted the battle of Helms deep to be the climatic battle for the film. He didn't want to have Helms deep and then the new incident with "she" (being courteous to those who don't know).

I was also very shocked, but it makes sense, cause after Helms deep/Isenguard Ent thing, the audience is already exhausted and it would've gone on for too long. The books ends with a cliffhanger and so does the film, just a different kind of cliffhanger situation. Props to PJ, who played it very wise! :D

Old Fossil
12-20-2002, 01:23 AM
Well said, JMG.

I just wonder if putting 'She' in RotK will make that third film even longer than TTT?

JON9000
12-20-2002, 01:43 AM
Nah, ROTK is the shortest book anyway and they are chopping off the very long epilogue

Old Fossil
12-20-2002, 01:48 AM
Ah, there I was forgetting. No 'Scouring of the Shire.' Makes more sense to me now.

Hoom...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-20-2002, 02:08 AM
No way!! They're cutting out the whole Shire ordeal? This is news to me, but i can't say i don't agree. That part of the book dragged on and was kinda, well, crappy. It'll be interesting to see how they take different characters that were dealt with in that chapter and change their fates around. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
12-20-2002, 09:46 PM
After seeing the flick this morning I kind of have to agree about the ending. It would have been a lot (both in length and in cinematic energy) to show the Saruman/Gandalf smackdown after all the action we actually got to see.

I think it could have been even better, though. It would have ticked many people off but I think 1) cutting off the Helm's Deep battle right at the Uruk-Hai invasion of the keep, 2) having 'she' do her dirty business as was done in the book, and 3) leaving the Ent attack as is would have been awesome. A three-pronged prolonged suspense would have been pure gold. It could have been similar in EP1 to where the Queen is captured, Anakin's ship is disabled, and Qui-Gon is speared by DM; just that you'd have to wait a year for the ending. :evil:

Pendo
12-23-2002, 05:02 PM
Andy Serkis' official site has posted a cool picture of Smeagol before he turned into Gollum. This will be seen in Return of the king :D!

There are more cool pics of Gollum his site.

http://www.serkis.com/

PENDO!

derek
12-23-2002, 07:49 PM
i just rented the 1978 LOTR cartoon, and man, is it ever horrible!!!
it's too bad some company like disney never made this into an animated feature.

the really wierd thing is that the movie only had the "fellowship of the ring" and "the two towers" in it. it just ended after the battle of helm's deep and frodo, sam and gollum walkng off to a cave. was a second animated film planed to cover "return of the king" and was never made?

Capitan_Moroni
12-23-2002, 09:18 PM
yes, the ROTK cartoon was made, but it was by the same company that did the Hobbit cartoon so it looks diffrent and picks up with Sam trying to break into that castle where Frodo is being held captive..
Their cutting out the whole "Scouring of the Shire" thing?? NOOOOOO!!!!! I hope they have a change of heart and leave it in....if not, I sure hope they dont end it with the same crappity crap ending as the ROTK cartoon and have Gandalf and the others sitting in Rivendale with Gandalf explaining how Hobbits turn into humans....~shudders~ although, it would be kinda cool to see the Bard of Gondor singing "Frodo of the 9 fingers"...thats what these movies are missing, the cool musical numbers ala The Hobbit and ROTK cartoons...

Old Fossil
12-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Yeah, the Ralph Bakshi film is pretty bad, but the RotK cartoon is really, REALLY bad. Film technology was not yet ready for Tolkien.

God, I'm glad Disney never got hold of it. I hate how they dumb down things like classical Greek mythology, and the overwhelming false sentimentality imbued in anything Disney produces.

Capitan_Moroni
12-24-2002, 04:22 PM
I dunno about the animation being to bad for The Hobbit and ROTK. (I thoght it worked rather well with The Hobbit actually), but the FOTR/TT animation is horrible...

jpak001
12-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Huh, Mabye it's a nostalgia thing but I like the animated Hobbit & LOTR movies. Especially the Hobbit!. ROTK sucked eggs though, it was really horrible.....

I can still remeber seeing the ad in TV guide for the Hobbit when it was originally aired, I was so exited to see it, even way back then. I liked Smaug the dragon, and Bilbo fighting those huge spiders with Sting. What a fun movie!

Now, they were nowhere near as good as PJ's fantastic movies. You couldn't even begin to compare them to each other.

derek
12-26-2002, 07:18 PM
my biggest complaint with the animated film is that numerous kinds of animation were used. some was actual people, who were just animated over, some was a cheap disney kind, and some wasn't animation at all, just real people on a soundstage, but all that could be seen were their silouettes. this, along with very low budget sound effects just made for an all around unpleasant viewing experience. it was like animation had been set back 50 years. at the time, disney was doing much better stuff, and if the film had to be made into an animated feature, disney would of done a waaaaay better job.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-26-2002, 11:35 PM
I dunno about that, LOTR has way too much singing and disney would've used that to it's fullest extent. I would've shot myself like 25 min into it. :D

clonehead
12-27-2002, 12:15 AM
well i saw the new one at 11:59 when it came out, dang i was awasome!!!!! you pay mostly for the atomosphere and it is worth it!!!!