PDA

View Full Version : Frozen in battle stance...

JEDIpartner
08-17-2001, 04:09 PM
I know that we are really gonna be split on this, but I thought I'd open up the proverbial can of worms.

While I think the new Eeth Koth is great looking, so don't get me wrong there... however- I only have one gripe. We have all been complaining about the lack of articulation in the figures which doesn't allow us put the figures in "action poses". I can't even begin to tell you how equally annoyed I am when a figure is locked into "action position". There were the gripes about "one pose Jar-Jar" and it's true. What a total waste. I would love to have a true action figure that can be placed in active and passive stances.

I just can't see having this Eeth Koth figure as part of a Jedi Council diorama or sitting in a starship. This limits playability as well as the "stiff as boards" poses.

I'll LOVE seeing where this Thread goes... that is if anyone finds it interesting enough to comment on.

evenflow
08-17-2001, 04:28 PM
I have to agree that the battle pose is a bit odd, but i still think it is an awesome figure. I hope that the remaining council members won' be too far behind.

1.Yareal Poof
2. Oppo Ransisc
3. Yaddle
4. Even Piell
5. Depa Billaba

Jek Porky 2001
08-17-2001, 05:09 PM
Hmm, I't's a great pose, but on the wrong charactor. Eeth Koth didn't have an action seen in Episode I he just sat. This pose would be good on Qui-Gon, but he's been done too many times. But don't get me wrong it's a great figure, can't wait for it:D

Oh and one last thing I was kind of hopeing the Lightsaber would be blue.

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 05:42 PM
I am so happy! I like the pose and action figures should be in action, not sitting! I think it will be and is wonderful. But did you notice that Hasbro stated it was the FIRST of the figures with new lightsabers. That implies that there will be more. Either in Episode II figs, or when/if they complete the Council! OR BOTH!

Darth Cruel
08-18-2001, 04:36 AM
This was brought up in another thread. I am hoping for some kind of happy medium. Either a figure that can be posed fighting or sitting or two sculpts...one fighting and one sitting/standing passively.

Starfig873
08-18-2001, 08:37 AM
I think I could handle two sculpts of the Jedi, action and sitting position. But now we need a Jedi council playset...with all there chairs, and maybe they could slide through like witht the vintage Taun Taun and give the illusion of sitting?

I think Eeth Koth looks amazing right now. I bet he'll be the hardest to find for sure. :)

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 09:29 AM
I'm not thrilled with this overposing of figures myself, my Plo Koon has a cool action pose NOW that I've given him one, but he is a versatile enough figure to give me the option of how badass he should be> Hasbro should not take that choice away by making over-posed statues.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-18-2001, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking that since the Jedi Council is supposed to see some action in Ep. II, that this figure is a preview of things to come. I think I heard that a new Plo Koon is rumored for next year, so maybe we'll have a series of butt-kicking Jedi Masters (and one Jedi Knight in Ki-Adi-Mundi).

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 03:15 PM
I really dislike sculpted action poses, because you're limited to playing with/displaying the figures the way Hasbro intended. Not the way you want to.

You set them up, you look at them and that's about it. They're not open ended at all.

Of course, what I hate more is so much articulation that all you see is rivets and hinges all over your figure.

Personally, I never had a problem with the more neutral poses of the vintage line.

12inch Lando
08-18-2001, 03:46 PM
I really like this new figure. If his part is really big in the next picture then we may get a neutral resculpt but I'll be happy with this one. I'm sure Hasbro felt that they had to do something different with the plethora of brown robed Jedi that have his the pipeline in the last 2 years.

humsup
08-18-2001, 09:27 PM
You really can't use a figure freely in dioramas when it has frozen stance. I always like to see figures just standing ie like those of the vintage line. Its easier to use in dioramas. In the case of Eeth Koth, guess he'll be fighting off clones if a diorama to be made using him.

Darth Cruel
08-19-2001, 02:15 AM
With the differences in opinion brought out here, I guess I can't blame Hasbro for having such a hard time pleasing everyone. There are some pretty good points brought up here for most all of the levels of articulation.

PloKoon2385
08-19-2001, 02:17 AM
We have enough boring standing Jedi, so let's get SOME in action. If some don't like it, well others will. Some don't like it either way, they want bendables or something.

12inch Lando
08-19-2001, 05:18 AM
I don't know if anyone in their right mind wants "Bend Em's" again. They rank really high on the Suck-o-meter.

GNT
08-20-2001, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by 12inch Lando
I don't know if anyone in their right mind wants "Bend Em's" again. They rank really high on the Suck-o-meter.

True :)

But if you guys don't want him because of his sculpt don't buy him,it'll make him easier to find for me than! And besides this figure kicks...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2001, 12:30 PM
This is why "Vintage is Better." They may not have had great articulation, but you seldom were concerned about bad poses. With bendable knees, elbows, etc. and twistable (word?) waists, wrists, etc. and the Vintage poses, Hasbro's stocks would approach... $20 a share! :rolleyes:

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2001, 12:43 PM
I really hate one-pose wonders like Chess Chump Chewie, but if they are going to be made, I'd rather have a good action pose. They had better be good though because the Qui-Gon Jedi Master one just blows chunks.

After seeing the Imp officer and RFT and their kicking poseability options, I don't think Hasbro has an excuse.

JEDIpartner
08-20-2001, 12:57 PM
THAT is exactly what I was talking about Mandi Candi (had to give you a nickname!-- sorry.)

You are going to have the really articulated figures and then these "one-pose wonders". There just isn't any cosistency in the line... that's why I am getting all crabby about it!!! Why are some of the figures treated so well in their sculpts and why are some lacking the articulation? I just don't get it.

The sad thing is that I'll still buy these, but they will look kinda odd.

Fulit
08-24-2001, 12:59 AM
After looking at the picture yet again, I'm just hoping I can put Eeth's arms down by his sides and imagine there's a stiff wind ripping through the Council Chamber...........

JediCole
08-24-2001, 05:39 PM
The question is this...
Is "frozen in battle stance" really any worse than "frozen in placid repose"?

JediTricks
08-25-2001, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
The question is this...
Is "frozen in battle stance" really any worse than "frozen in placid repose"? I think so, since they can still fit in vehicles and stuff. But ultimately, figures like Bespin Luke or Plo Koon (especially once you cut open the robes) are mmuch better than either option IMO because with their normal placid poses and extra articulation, they can also assume awesome battle poses, or Force push poses, or whatever your imagination thinks up.