PDA

View Full Version : What type of Star Wars stories would you prefer LucasArts stick with in the future?

Tycho
12-10-2002, 12:17 AM
There's a lot happening in the world of Star Wars video gaming. What there is even more of is cash-register receipts as evidence that tell a success story for Lucas Arts games that proves fans are buying these games so fast that it's like they are cloning themselves as "Slave-One" to Lucas Arts' "hard mechandise."

So what makes the most successful Star Wars video game?

What do the fans dig the most?

Do you prefer games based primarily on the movie stories? Attack of the Clones, The Phantom Menace, Obi-Wan, Jedi Power Battles, Rebellion, and Force Commander are all examples of games that follow the movie storylines, or are loosely based on them.

Do you like games based primarily on the Expanded Universe Stories even better? These are games that coincide with books, comics, and graphic novels such as Shadows of the Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and The Clone Wars and offer a lot of new dimensions to the Star Wars storyline.

Or do you like best the games based on original stories created by LucasArts themselves? These are games like Jedi Starfighter, Rogue Squadron, Masters of Tera Kasi, Rebel Assault, X-wing: Alliance, TIE Fighter, and Bounty Hunter.

Mark your vote and then let's talk about your preference in Star Wars games!

jedihunter25
12-10-2002, 12:37 AM
I voted for original stories created by LucasArts because Bounty Hunter falls in that catagory and it's the best game yet. My other favorites are Masters of Tera Kasi (Mortal Kombat version of SW), Jedi Power Battles, Shadows of the Empire, Podracer, and Jedi Starfighter. I also still enjoy ANH, ESB, and ROTJ from Super Nitendo.

Quite-Gone Jim
12-10-2002, 06:58 AM
I voted for the Expanded Universe because my favorite games are Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight II. But I also really enjoy games from the 3rd category like Rogue Squadron, Bounty Hunter, etc.

NRPeace
12-10-2002, 08:51 AM
I really like X-Wing vs. Tie fighter and Rouge Squadron; pretty much any game where I get to fly the ships. Are there any more games like this?

SNAYSON
12-10-2002, 08:51 AM
i enjoy the expanded universe games. but i also like games of real time strategy controlling armies like star wars galactic battle ground and it's expansion pack and star wars rebellion.

notible mention: playing the "classic" star wars xwing on the 386/486 pc's was a big thrill! a resurgence of the star wars bug coming back into me.

mrmiller
12-10-2002, 10:50 AM
I had to go with option 3, but I really like the Dark Forces series. I'm a big first person shooter fan, so the Dark Forces series fits well with me. But I really like to old X-Wing and TIE fighter games, as well as the new Starfighter and Jedi Startfigter as well as Racer and Racers Revenge. Those games all rock. I can't believe all the "Movie Based" votes. I love the idea of games based on movies, but most all of the recent ones are terrible games. The best is the old Vector graphics Star Wars Arcade. That and the original trilogy series on SNES were good. And who can forget The Empire Strikes back for Atari 2600? I must have destroyed a million AT-AT's and they still got the Hoth base every time ;)

=MATT=

Darth Evil
12-10-2002, 01:17 PM
I like to see EU locations brought to life, so I went with the second choice. Jedi Outcast is my favourite SW game yet.

jpak001
12-10-2002, 01:46 PM
I haven't been able to play anything post-Dreamcast (Bounty Hunter looks cool!). But I really loved Dark Forces back on the PS1. Man, I remeber a lot of long nights over that one.

Rouge Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, and Jedi Power Battles were all fun games to me too, but I really got into Dark forces for some reason!:D

187-Maul
12-10-2002, 01:52 PM
I voted for expanded universe games cause I really like Jedi Knight 1 and 2, Dark Forces, Racer (although you could say that it's based on the movie story-line) and Shadows Of The Empire
all great games

mtriv73
12-10-2002, 03:14 PM
My absolute all time favorite is TIE Fighter for the PC. I figure that it counts as a game based on the classic storyline. The newer games for the consoles just don't feel as real the older PC games.

JediTricks
12-10-2002, 03:48 PM
Tycho, aren't Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and JKII from the 3rd category as well? I'm pretty sure Dark Forces and DF2: Jedi Knight are all Lucasarts-based and only merely set in the SW universe. If anything, Dark Forces was less EU than Bounty Hunter since Dark Forces had an original, Lucasarts main character. It was only after the game became popular that EU started expanding upon Kyle Katarn's stories.

That's what I voted for, #3. One thing that usually bugs me about games taken from the movies is that they're either too rigid in gameplay (Star Wars Trilogy arcade) or take ridiculous liberties (Super ESB, SNES) - in fact, the only movie-based game I've ever really considered really fantastic is the original Star Wars arcade. SW Arcade, Dark Forces, DF2 Jedi Knight, and SOTE are my absolute favorite SW games.

Tycho
12-10-2002, 04:14 PM
You make a legitimate case about Dark Forces. Not a big gamer myself, and then mostly a pilot (I know...."Tycho Celchu, Rogue Squadron of course :rolleyes: ) I wasn't clear on how Kyle Katarn's EU stuff evolved. I'm sure the first Dark Forces game came before the books, but long before Jedi Knight II, there were at least 3 novels about Kyle Katarn out in Barnes and Nobel, that paralleled the video game play (if you could win that is).

I voted for games developed by Lucas Arts myself (category 3). I'm a huge EU fan, but I can learn about the characters and find out how the story goes by relaxing, reading in my bed. If I get immersed into a new game, I meet new characters, see brand new settings (though I agree with whoever said seeing the ones developed for the EU, like Kashyyyk or Ord Mantell, are the ones that are the most interesting) but I have to beat the game in order to uncover all its secrets.

Some of the games need more compelling characters than "Rookie One" - but actually all he needs is a name. In the end, you can give him your own name, or make one up, because the playing time takes YOU yourself into the Star Wars universe. It's fun to pretend you're Obi-Wan, but how about just being you? - with a lightsaber, blaster, and a hot ship of course! :D

Still, some EU could make tempting games. Imagine "Twilight" as a video game where you're Quinlan Vos - you have knowledge of the Force and a lightsaber, but you can't remember your past and the best source of information (and sometimes strategy and defense) that you have to rely on is a very untrustworthy Devaronian named Villie, who could betray you whenever it is to his advantage. Together you must find your path away from the Dark Side, locate your padawan Aayla Secura, train her to become a Jedi Knight, all while you and your former Jedi Master Tholme uncover a Separatist plot that links the Hutts to the Trade Federation, and a larger Confederacy plot on Ryloth. It's tempting - at least to me.

Dang! I wish I had more time to play video games. I'd have to try a lot of them to see what's out there!

JediTricks
12-10-2002, 04:48 PM
I'm pretty sure Dark Forces and its sequel Jedi Knight came first. I believe Dark Forces spawned some EU stories, but they didn't affect much of Jedi Knight as I understand it; then Jedi Knight spawned some EU books of its own, but I have no idea if they were taken into account for JK2 as I still haven't gotten to play it. :(

CaptainSolo1138
12-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Wouldn't a GoldenEye-esque classic SW game be awesome?

Lord Malakite
12-12-2002, 12:13 PM
I was wondering when another video game poll we discussed would show up. :D I also went with choice number 3, with choice 2 being a close second. There are only a certain number times you can make a game based on the movies before it starts getting boring (lets destroy the Death Star, again).

Rogue II
12-12-2002, 12:48 PM
I still want SEGA to release the Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game on PS2.

I haven't voted yet, because I'm not sure which I like best. I've played at least 3 games from each category. Category 1 games are ok, but not my favorite. I'm leaning towards Category 3. What category does Galactic Battlegrounds fall under?

I woudn't mind playing a first person shooter game based off the Classic Trilogy, where you can play Imperial and Rebel missions.

Tycho
12-12-2002, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure what Galactic Battlegrounds is, or how you play it.

It would fit category 1 or 3 I'm sure, because I don't think there was ever a novel or comic book published about it.

Rogue II
12-12-2002, 10:03 PM
Galactic Battlegrounds is Star Wars using the Age of Empires/Age of Kings engine. It is a real time strategy game. There are missions based on the movies (Battle of Hoth, battle of Naboo and I believe the Clone Wars is in the expansion). But there are also other storylines, like freeing slaves on Chewbacca's home planet and Boss Nass' rise to power.

Of course, you can go to web sites and download user created levels. Last I checked, someone recreated the attack of the Death Star and they were working on the entire TPM movie.

Its a good game.

Tycho
12-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Then I wouldn't guess how to categorize it, LOL!

Sounds like a great game though: you can make it anything you want it to be! Pretty cool, eh? :)