PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Own Lightsaber!

Prince Xizor
12-11-2002, 02:02 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here it is anyway. GH just posted a picture of the new Build Your Own Lightsaber kit from Hasbro. It looks damn cool to me. This is something I could have hours of fun with.

What do you think?

Fulit
12-11-2002, 02:04 PM
OMG, my kid would love this. Anyone know when this is coming out? What about attaching a blade?

LTBasker
12-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Wow. That's currently listed for I think $55 or $60 at Entertainment Earth. I thought it was just gonna be TPM-canceled changing color lightsaber but wow, this is sweet. Looks like it's a mix of TPM/AOTC Obi-Wan, AOTC Anakin, Vader, and TPM Maces' sabers. No purple piece though for the blade coloring.

Fulit
12-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Wow. That's currently listed for I think $55 or $60 at Entertainment Earth.

Ouch! I might as well buy stock in Hasbro, as much money as I throw at them. Since my son came of "action figure age", I've basically had to buy two of almost everything, since he actually plays with his toys instead of building shelf dioramas.

So this lightsaber is available now? Don't bother answering, I'll go check EE after I hit "submit."

187-Maul
12-11-2002, 03:41 PM
wow that sets actually looks pretty good IMO, I always wanted a lightsaber replica, but the MR pieces are just to expensive and you would have to pick one
with this set, you can make whatever saber you want at the moment, I can't wait to see some assembled pics

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-11-2002, 05:52 PM
SWEET!
And, hopefully, you can put two of the colors together to make purple, orange, and green sabers! That would be awesome!:)

jad
12-11-2002, 05:55 PM
Wow, I hadn't even heard of this product. Looks like Hasbro's really going to milk the lightsaber popularity. Yknow in my area atleast the lightsabers including the electronic ones are hot sellers. Even before the christmas season they flew off the shelves but now that it is christmas, boy are they ever going fast. We got a huge shipment in at the local walmart including the new generic orange and green jedi ones. There must have been 30 lightsabers on the shelves, and when I went back a few days ago there was only 2 left! So it's nice to see that the kids are having fun with the lightsabers.

This set looks like it could be a lot of fun, I can't wait to see more detailed pics and see how the parts can be combined. :)

Beast
12-11-2002, 05:55 PM
This is looking very very cool, but I hope that it will be a little less expensive in the stores. The price tag over at Entertainment Earth is a bit high for my tastes. But it will definatly be a must buy if I can pick it up for around $40.00. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
12-11-2002, 06:46 PM
Wow this looks cool!:D

Turbowars
12-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Cool, but I'll pass. I got to get a Annie FX saber! A friend has it and he says its awesome. Cool idea though.

Chiesa
12-12-2002, 03:41 AM
Looks neat. But at its price I think I will pass!

Jargo
12-12-2002, 07:50 AM
Hope this hits the UK too. I might just have to indulge myself here and go for this as well as the Yoda saber. I like how the blade is frosted white plastic. Bits and pieces look okay. Might end up buying a second one for my elder nephew who's saber nuts.

JEDIpartner
12-12-2002, 09:32 AM
This is kinda cool... a little late now that everyone has lightsabers galore, but cool anyhow. I kept looking at that picture when I was over at :Pirate: and finally saw that it DID have a blade. That's all crazy. I LOVE it, actually...

187-Maul
12-12-2002, 09:42 AM
thanx for saying that, E Jargo and Jedipartnr, I didn't notice either that there was a blade included, I somehow overlooked it all the time (pretty dumb since it's pretty big actually:crazed: )
now I want it even more!:D

Sentinel18725
12-12-2002, 10:00 AM
I imagine if it's in the sixty price range at EE, we can find it elsewhere around 45. Especially if we all hold off for a little while and TRU does their crazy xx% off!

Darkross
12-12-2002, 11:31 AM
A Very cool concept...but I suspect that it will be a cheezy suppliment to the Master Replica saber hilts though. By the looks of it...it looks almost like it's a resin finish. Would be nice if it ends up with the chrome finish look...which will give it the appearance of real metal. What's with the colour chips?...is it going to light-up like a flashlight? I'd settle for a realistic looking hilt...of Luke's ROTJ or Anakin's AOTC. Those are the coolest looking hilts of all...IMO. Time will tell if the $60.00 price tag will be worth the investment.

stillakid
12-12-2002, 01:44 PM
Um, is it just me, or does this just look like an excuse for them to cut labor costs and not assemble something at the factory? I mean, it's not like the Droid Factory, where it actually kinda looked like a droid factory with a bunch of possible droid combinations possible. This is just a couple random parts that mostly go into making the regular lightsaber anyway. Everytime I have to put in new batteries, I'm practically doing what this set advertises anyway. No?

Prince Xizor
12-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Um, I think your wrong. This set lets you custimize your lightsaber to make it look like a differant number of ones, or combinations of other lightsabers. So you are basically making your own. I think its a pretty cool idea.

stillakid
12-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Maybe.

Does it come with a blade?

187-Maul
12-13-2002, 08:19 AM
yes it does, at least the thing under the actual hilt looks like a retractable clear blade

Paul-Kenobi
12-13-2002, 02:43 PM
i hope it dose come with some blades

BTW i have some questions about this set

1 this will be released in stores correct ?

2 do you think you can attach a blade to it ?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-13-2002, 05:35 PM
AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Next one to ask about the blade gets a pop in the mouth!

Beast
12-13-2002, 05:56 PM
So, umm.....is there a blade? :D

*Runs off cackling like a crazed Hyena* :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sidiously Darth
12-13-2002, 07:18 PM
Hey, I was wondering if there was a blade with this set or can you get extra blades... like for your razor? He He He He He
:D

Paul-Kenobi
12-13-2002, 07:34 PM
are you sure thats the blade it looks more like a hilt then a blade it's not even collored i don't think thats the blade.

LTBasker
12-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Paul, it very well could be the blade. The reason it wouldn't be colored is though colored filters in the try are gonna be what produces the color. It does look a little like a hilt, but I guess it could be the blade.

JediTricks
12-14-2002, 05:20 AM
This looks like a neat set, but the guesstimated price seems a little too high for my tastes since it only comes with one lightbulb & reflector so you can only make one saber at a time. I'm glad to see the ringed clear blade idea return, I really like how that looks on the Ep 1 role-play Battle Droid blaster toy and was excited to see it on the cancelled color-change lightsaber.

Sidiously Darth
01-01-2003, 10:53 PM
According to Galactic Hunter, this item has been cancelled. Something about a lack of interest.:rolleyes:

If you want the whole story, go here:

Galactic Hunter (http://www.galactichunter.com/index.asp)

Paul-Kenobi
01-01-2003, 11:05 PM
:( :mad: i hope its false

dexter_finster
01-02-2003, 12:42 PM
:cry:

I *really* wanted this item too

:cry:

187-Maul
01-02-2003, 03:10 PM
I too was looking forward to it, I hope it's not cancelled:mad:

Mace Windex
01-03-2003, 11:45 PM
I believe the three colored pieces are the lightsaber crystals. Pretty interesting. If it was a metal set I would but it in a heartbeat for $60. Plastic needs to be about $30.

MAce

Mace Windex
01-03-2003, 11:47 PM
How can they cancel due to lack of interest if it has never been released? HUH??

MAce

Beast
01-04-2003, 04:03 AM
It's called retailer lack of intrest. If they aren't intrested in carrying an item, then it's dead. Even if it's somthing most of the fans are really excited about. That's also the reason Hasbro can't get many vehicles made, unless they are exclusives. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
01-04-2003, 06:15 AM
This bites. I planned on having a load of fun with that thing. Screw the retailers...

Paul-Kenobi
01-04-2003, 06:02 PM
i think hasbro bites that sucks now i have to spend 100-300$ to get parts to build one WHICH SUCKS! and MR sell's them for higher prise and you can't play with them WHICH SUCKS!

Pardon my french

Beast
01-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Calm down a tad, Paul-Kenobi. It's not always Hasbro's fault these things get cancelled. Like they said, it was lack of intrest. If the retailers arn't going to order it, they can't afford to produce it. And even if they did, who would sell it? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Paul-Kenobi
01-04-2003, 06:08 PM
sell it to the fan club i'm sure they will take it with open arms.

Mace Windex
01-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Exactly,
Poll the fans and throw out a price. Make it a fan club or online exclusive!
Sheesh!

Mace
Wanting to build another saber for EP III.

hango fett
01-05-2003, 10:05 AM
AWSOME! i can't wait! i'll get 2 or 3!
h

Paul-Kenobi
01-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Hango I don't know If your up to date but hasbro canceled It unless your being sarcastic......

no updates I hope this is all false:( I really wanted that set :cry:

CloneTrooperMace
01-08-2003, 10:26 PM
This is kinda cool... a little late now that everyone has lightsabers galore, but cool anyhow. I kept looking at that picture when I was over at and finally saw that it DID have a blade. That's all crazy. I LOVE it, actually... -JP

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

LTBasker
01-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Galactic Hunter updated with this:

It appears that the reported demise of the "Build Your Own" Lightsaber kit is a bit premature. "We've asked all retailers not to list items on their sites so far in advance of their availability, as changes are inevitably made," says Hasbro's Paula Sacchi, " we'll announce the majority of the items that will be included in our 2003 line in February."

According to Entertainment Earth's Jason Labowitz, the item has not been cancelled but merely delayed. So we can wait for official word on what looks to be a promising offering at the 2002 Toy Fair in New York next month.

So looks like it's not canceled, sweet. :D

CloneTrooperMace
01-10-2003, 06:53 PM
WOW :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

JediDBM
01-10-2003, 06:58 PM
I have said this many times before, I would be broke, if I bought everything I wanted Star Wars wise. This is so very cool, I would love to have one of these lightsabers.

Paul-Kenobi
01-13-2003, 10:20 AM
thank god they didnt cancel it :)

CloneTrooperMace
01-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Like your Sig Paul

Paul-Kenobi
01-13-2003, 07:57 PM

187-Maul
01-15-2003, 11:16 AM
maybe there still is hope for me now to get a good lightsaber that's not overpriced

CloneTrooperMace
01-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Your welcome paul.

You from Florida too.Cool me too.

Paul-Kenobi
01-16-2003, 07:40 PM
really? cool.

well now that it's still comeing i wonder what color the blade will be

WAIT THATS IT I KNOW NOW!

the little color things are the crystals AND the blade is clear theres a lightblub that comes with it i saw it in the picture you place the crystal and color plate over the lightblub and THERES THE COLOR OF THE BLADE :)!

CloneTrooperMace
01-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Cool. Good idea