PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Midlanders

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-12-2002, 03:16 AM
Hi,
My sister is looking to get an AT-AT for her lesser half this Xmas. I was wondering if anybody living in the midlands - Bham, Derby, Nottingham, Dudley, Coventry etc - had seen one in any shops in the area, since I can't seem to find one for her mail order.
Any help on this would be really gratefully received.

kadamontaga
12-12-2002, 04:27 AM
Is that the one that comes with an ewok on a speeder?
I don't think they have any in "Another World" in Derby, but it might be worth phoning Midco Toys in Burton, and Forbidden Planet in Nottingham.
Also, there's another "Another World" in Nottingham - perhaps they're worth a try too.
In Birmingham there's a shop called Nostalgia and Comics, but I've no idea how much they stock. Again, it might be worth giving them a call.

kdp100
12-12-2002, 04:29 AM
Hmm, there's nothing on eBay UK, and the mail-order companies R2DToys (London) and even Kool Collectables (York) are out of stock at the moment.
There used to be a branch of Forbidden Planet in Nottingham near the bus station, but it may have closed in the 5 years or so since I was last there. You could try their branches in Birmingham (0121 236 3026) or Coventry (024 7622 9672).

Good luck!

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-12-2002, 04:51 AM
I've combed B'ham as it's my home town. Notts/Derby way is where I was interested in as I don;t get over there much. Will try Another world and FP. It's the giant AT-AT with general veers and driver she's after, the one from the POTF2 line. Proving rather difficult to track down. I've got one though. S******, s****** gloat. Got it from TrUs about three years ago when they were doing that stupid collection thing with the expanded universe figures at like £10 each.
Thanks for the info though.

kadamontaga
12-12-2002, 08:41 AM
I don't remember ever seeing that particular vehicle :(
As for the FP in Nottingham - it was still alive and well in October of this year, and I don't image that'll have changed.
Give Midco Toys a call. I don't like their shop, but if you're desperate you might get lucky.

kdp100
12-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Maybe Forbidden Planet are not advertising all their stores on their bags and website then?
There's no mention of their Manchester store either, but I'm going to go along and check it's still open while I'm up there over Xmas.

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-12-2002, 09:28 AM
You've never seen the POTF2 AT-AT. You've never lived.
It's second only to the royal starship in size and as such is probably the second most impressive sw toy you can buy, in terms of stature at least. Has some pretty cool electronics as well.
Checnk it out in the collectors database.

kadamontaga
12-12-2002, 09:41 AM
Sounds impressive, I'll have a look later.
As for FP advertising:
Apparently a few years ago the company Forbidden Planet split into two - one remained Forbidden Planet, the other became Forbidden Planet International. So, although they share the same name (more or less), not all of them are part of the same company. Only one of the companies is affiliated with Scifiwarehouse.com.
Also, this split has something to do with the reason that some of the shops take on a second name - such as Nostalgia and Comics.

I don't understand the deal entirely, but this is a very dumbed-down version and probably isn't all that accurate.

Yu_
12-12-2002, 02:29 PM
FP was run by two guys, originally it was called Time Slip and it was fairly successful, unfortunately due to reasons not all that well known the guys fell out, the company was split, but there was a nasty fight over the name, in the end one of the shops changed to FP International, and the other remained FP, now this is the point, FP is ****, they over charge for just about everything and the prices are set in London, the whole company is run by head office in London, and you might as well be walking into ASDA, I have had so many bad experiences with FP and there prices itís unbelievable.. The two FPís will not open near each other (thatís part of the deal) and do not directly compete in one area, but FP international is scifi-warehouse, they are now one and the same company, and a damn fine company as well the prices are good, they are certainly competitive with other retailers, and there sales are unbelievable. My advice is simply not to buy anything from FP. Shop online with FP International if you donít have one locally. They are very very different, and they are one hell of a lot better. Iím stuck with just FP and I canít bloody stand it

kadamontaga
12-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info :)

kdp100
12-12-2002, 06:03 PM
Interesting info, Yu_ & kadamontaga - thanks.
"Time Slip" DOES sound familiar - was that around 1986?

I've noticed that every FP store I've been to in the last few years does seem to have the same logo. I think the Manchester store used to be called Odyssey 7.

I do shop at FP quite often, not out of any particular principle but because one of their stores is close enough to where I work that I've been able to get there pretty much any lunchtime in the last 5 years.

I agree with you that their prices can be quite high - although there are sometimes strangely low-priced items too. I just can't work out their system - but it's always good for a browse, at the very least!

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-13-2002, 03:07 AM
There is direct competition now of sorts. Nostalgia & Comics is a really ancient comic store in B'ham. It has been there literally years, since I was a wee tot. Recently, i.e. last 12 months, it has become one of FPI's affiliated stores. Since there is also an FP in B'ham the two are direct competition for each other.
Although it's not much of a bloody competition since as Yu_ said FP seem to think they can charge whatever they want for whatever they want.
They were trying to sell the desert skiff with luke for £95 a couple of months ago. Laugh, I nearly cried.

Jargo
12-15-2002, 09:22 AM
Isn't FP now FP Scotland? and that's the one that eats up all the smaller stores and has the high prices or is that the other way round? I'm confused now but i know FP Scotland own Worlds apart in Liverpool and the prices there are a bit strange. There's also the other FP not far from Worlds apart with the red FP logo. They have erratic pricing structures and not a lot of stock. I tend to avoid both stores.

For an AT-AT make sure you have a credit card, and you'll need one because AT-AT's now are pricey £80 - £100 being the usual price range. Most smaller stores will be unlikely to have an AT-AT or it'll be overpriced. Last time I checked Above and beyond in Wrexham had the AT-AT in for £100. Like I say, smaller places larger prices. I bought mine a couple of years ago for £50 and that was a deal with a friendly small supplier. Otherwise it would have cost me £65.

kdp100
12-15-2002, 10:32 AM
Oddly enough, I was looking at my old "Viz Comic Summer Special" from 1988 yesterday and spotted small ads for both Odyssey 7 and Nostalgia & Comics, along with a full-page ad for FP, which "celebrates its 10th birthday by opening its biggest and best ever store in the centre of London on July 16th".

Anyway, back on topic - I've just spotted this on eBay UK (based in Birmingham, as it happens):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1925978606

May be a bit pricey for you, but at least it shows they do turn up from time to time!

One thing to watch with the POTF2 AT-AT is that the transparent prongs that hold the side-guns onto the head can break off quite easily - I broke mine a couple of weeks ago when I caught it with my foot and knocked it over.
I was able to repair it by micro-drilling through the snapped-off piece and into the head itself, and then pushing a pin through - but I managed to drill through the end of my finger in the process! :cry:

Jargo
12-15-2002, 11:13 AM
Strange thing about the AT-AT is the reverence it garners from casual observers. Last year when I was having the double glazing installed one of the guys doing the work saw my AT-AT covered with plastic sheeting and just stared in awe and then proceeded to tell his workmates to treat it like gold since it was extremely valuable. I think he thought it was a vintage one. But it made me laught to think these rough shod labourers were tiptoeing round a lump of plastic toy :D people are so daft sometimes.

kdp100
12-15-2002, 05:52 PM
Ah, whereas my landlord's workmen managed to knock over an AT-ST that was minding its own business on my shelf, AND leave shards of glass all over the carpet that I found when walking barefoot around my flat the next morning!

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-16-2002, 02:22 AM
Nice. Gotta love builders.
Thanks for the help guys.
I think I've tracked down one for her at figured-out.co.uk. They seem to have one of everything.
£100, but she's aware that that's the going rate.
That's actually what I paid for mine, from toys'r'us.
Expensive but worth it.
Shuttle will cost about the same when it comes out and at least the AT-AT makes lots of noise.

jedi_uk73
12-16-2002, 04:45 AM
Nice one E_H_2211

Glad you found one.

I don't want to spoil your enjoyment, but Figured Out (Alf's Toys) are dam expensive for most things.

They are currently charging in their shop £9.99 for Ephant Mon, £15 for Deluxe figures and £40 !! for the Ep1 Gungan Sub with Obi Wan, which R2dtoys have for £10. They also had Ep1 TC-14 for £45 a few weeks ago.

The shop is about 10 miles from where I live, and I avoid it if I can. The main reason that they have most things, is because of the prices they charge, no-one wants to buy it.

Considering their (scalper) prices, £100 sounds very good for the AT-AT walker.

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-16-2002, 08:30 AM
Yeah I noticed that. I thought £100 for the AT-At was OK so checked out the prices on EP1 figures cos I'm still missing the blue R2 and Amidala with acsension gun.
They wanted about 25 for amidala and about 45 for the R2.
Pretty rediculous for single figures. I've only ever paid that much once and never again.