PDA

View Full Version : The ONLY Time I Hate Jabba!

Jayspawn
12-12-2002, 04:24 PM
I've been watching the Star Wars Trilogy this week. Just to polish up my knowledge. I love all of it. But there is this one thing that bothers me....

Jabba the Hutt!

In ROTJ and TPM he looks just fine. BUT in The ANH Special Edition he just looks horrible!!!! He looks NOTHING like Jabba in the other films. I'm really into continuity, and it just stinks. The scene is good BUT, the voice is wrong, Jabba is too small, too skinny, too 'flat', makes stupid sounds, and exists in the same frame and space as Han Solo.

It would be fantastic if Lucasfilm were to 'redo' Jabba in this one movie for the DVD when they come out someday. I'm sure nobody would mind. I don't think anybody would miss the old cartoon Jabba.

I had to vent. Does this really bother anybody else?

Fulit
12-12-2002, 05:41 PM
Yes, it bothers me too. Even the Oprah Winfrey yo-yo diet explanation doesn't help it. Doesn't anyone who works for GL have enough guts to tell him to get his head out of his arse and make the E1 Jabba consistent with the ANH drop-in? tsk tsk tsk.

Rogue II
12-12-2002, 06:25 PM
Yes, I've complained about ANH:SE Jabba seveal times. It looks like GL & crew learned a lot abot CGI characters between the Special additions, TPM, and ATOC. In the audio commentary of ATOC, it sounded like he was dissapointed with the CGI in TPM.

The part that really irks me (besides Jabba's appearance in general) was Han stepping over Jabba. They should have just cut that part out and thrown in footage of either just Jabba or some other character. Heck, threw in so many other gratuitous shots of Boba Fett in ANH:SE and ROTJ:SE, they should have just used one there as well.

mini-rock
12-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Exactly!! Just cut to a shot of Boba while the Han is talking and walking around Jabba. I really don't mind that scene, even though Jabba looks a little goofy.:D

Pendo
12-13-2002, 11:09 AM
I think this should be the 2nd thing Lucas corrects for the AE (after greedo shooting first :p). I think the 'Han stepping on Jabba's tail' thing can be avoided. It would be easy for Lucas to make a new shot (perhaps from higher above) of Han (either CG or a stand-in actor) walking the other way around Jabba. It CAN be done :).

PENDO!

BanthaPoodoo
12-16-2002, 03:33 PM
I think the first thing he should correct is to take all the SE junk out & make it the original non CGI super glammed up uber SW movie.

Good old SW with no bells & whistles. The best & only true SW experience.

Pendo
12-16-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by BanthaPoodoo
I think the first thing he should correct is to take all the SE junk out & make it the original non CGI super glammed up uber SW movie.

Good old SW with no bells & whistles. The best & only true SW experience.

Very well said BanthaPoodoo!!!!! :D

PENDO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2002, 10:52 PM
With no CG? I think not!;)
Seriously though, I mean in the other films he's green-yellow sort of, in ANH he's blue and pink! And he looks horribly fake too. Fixing it is necessary.

Jedi Master Silas
12-20-2002, 07:39 PM
I hated the Jabba shot too. If they couldnt do better then that I say delete the entire Solo/Jabba scene.

SW_Loyalist
12-22-2002, 01:34 AM
While there are quality issues, I like the scene. There are plenty of other unconvincing FX resplendant in all the films, but if it ever comes down to priorities the story is number one and this scene is important.

And as far as Han walking on him, I understand why they did it as well as anyone, but I also clearly remember the audience's reaction. They were busting up laughing... as was I.

It's just that it's newness has worn off and your left with what is now more noticable imperfections and what seems like reason enough to complain. Well, I don't remember hearing anyone complaining back in '94 when he announced he was re-releasing special editions as well as a prequel trilogy. No, everyone then was wanting more... well, but now they're just wanting perfection.

Anyway....

What hurts my head is one ear having to hear how Lucas needs to change more stuff while the other ear has to hear how nothing should have been changed.

Man, it's easy to wish to be Lucas until you imagine having to put up with all that crap then it's pretty easy to be glad you're not.

Impossible fans.

mini-rock
12-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Like I've said before I do not mind the scene, but I don't think it was important to the story. In the original we all knew of Jabba, seeing him wasn't needed for the story to move on IMO. In the original we see the scene with Obi-Wan, Luke, and the droids approaching the docking bay & luke saying "What a piece of junk!" Han ends the scene with "If you don't mind we're in a hurry" or something like that and the reason he was in a hurry to get outta there from what I understood was b/c he had just killed Greedo, and didn't want to stick around for Jabba's goons or Jabba himself to find him. Now with the Jabba scene inbetween the shooting Greedo and docking bay 94 scene Hans "We're in a hurry" line still works as well, but the scene is not needed or that important to further the story IMO. Hope my rambling makes sense.:D

SW_Loyalist
12-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Yes you make sense, only I disagree.

Just because we managed without the scene doesn't make it unimportant. With this scene we now understand how Han blows Jabba off. We also see that Jabba has given him chances to get it right. It's an encounter that is better to see in advance than deduce later once the saga is over.

I say the saga is better off with it, substandard effects or not.

Jayspawn
12-23-2002, 01:42 AM
I like the scene. Its not too long and doesn't drag the movie any. It's just the poor job special efects of Jabba. I bet IF Lucas fixed the scene with a 'Jedi' or 'Menace' Jabba then people would love it.

mini-rock
12-23-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by SW_Loyalist
Yes you make sense, only I disagree.

Just because we managed without the scene doesn't make it unimportant. With this scene we now understand how Han blows Jabba off. We also see that Jabba has given him chances to get it right. It's an encounter that is better to see in advance than deduce later once the saga is over.

I say the saga is better off with it, substandard effects or not.
Just so we are clear I do not think that scene is unimportant, BUT at the same time not important to the story . GL added it and that's great. It shows us a small part of the relationship between Jabba & Han, but if it had never gotten added I don't think the story between them would be any lesser. I'm fine whether the scene is in or not.:)

TheJediCharles
12-23-2002, 09:28 AM
Yea, I gotcha.

However, I feel that it's important in both degrees. As a scene it was originally omitted, but NOT because it wasn't important to the saga, but because it was not important to this individual film that originally suspected would be the only one. Remember, Lucas had no idea at all that there would be success enough for sequels. So, with that, and Jabba's larger concern later, this scene became individually important as well as important to the story across the sequels.

Listen to how Lucas describes it's importance in the SE commentary at the beginning of the videos. That's not a guy just wanting to put it in for the hey of it. It was a pinnacle moment in both character's demise.

That's important all 'round.

...oh, and I'm SW_Loyalist at home...TheJediCharles at work.;)

scruffziller
01-05-2003, 06:25 AM
I had heard it was because he was continuing to mutate.