PDA

View Full Version : A good way to kill Star Wars....

Fulit
12-12-2002, 04:53 PM
...is to have a kid, wait until he's about 3 and a half and positive that the world revolves around him. Then purchase the Attack of the Clones DVD, and give in and let the kid tear into all your figures.
Watching the same movie everyday would be bad enough, with any movie, but even worse is when your kid refuses to watch any other part of AOTC except the last 30 minutes of the film, starting when Mace Windu says "This party's over." Then when its over, he wants to watch it again. This cycle repeats itself until I can't take it anymore and inform him that we have to watch something else. I think on average, Since Nov. 12, I have watched the finale of AOTC about 5-6 times a day.
It is absolutely impossible to suggest to him to watch any other part of the movie, or to watch any SW movie but AOTC.
Damn you, GL, for making the new SW movie 90% boring dialogue (to kids) and 10% action.

Somebody help me, SW is becoming annoying to me! I never thought I'd see the day.

kadamontaga
12-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Sell the kid buddy.

QLD
12-12-2002, 06:03 PM
I hear kids go for a good markup on ebay

Fulit
12-12-2002, 06:11 PM
Um, Iwas thinking more of hypnosis or another approach. I don't want fully rid of him. I will need him in a few years to beat the scalpers to the new figures and punch them in the crotch for me.

stillakid
12-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
...is to have a kid, wait until he's about 3 and a half and positive that the world revolves around him. Then purchase the Attack of the Clones DVD, and give in and let the kid tear into all your figures.
Watching the same movie everyday would be bad enough, with any movie, but even worse is when your kid refuses to watch any other part of AOTC except the last 30 minutes of the film, starting when Mace Windu says "This party's over." Then when its over, he wants to watch it again. This cycle repeats itself until I can't take it anymore and inform him that we have to watch something else. I think on average, Since Nov. 12, I have watched the finale of AOTC about 5-6 times a day.
It is absolutely impossible to suggest to him to watch any other part of the movie, or to watch any SW movie but AOTC.
Damn you, GL, for making the new SW movie 90% boring dialogue (to kids) and 10% action.

Somebody help me, SW is becoming annoying to me! I never thought I'd see the day.

Do what I did...I bought a Gamecube. That's 99% action and 1% setup. And it let's him play instead of just inertly watching the tube.

But my problem is, when he does want to watch a Star Wars movie, it's usually TPM. Oy. I think it's because he likes that last lightsaber fight and hasn't really realized that he can skip ahead.

I do like the "sell the kid" suggestion though. :D

Tycho
12-12-2002, 06:37 PM
Well, of course I loved the end of the movie, but wait until your kid is older. I liked the romantic story because I'm interested in girls :) I also always like the ones that are unavailable, or are hard to get. That makes Anakin's story easy for me to relate to - that and also having a difficult to please mentor in politics and government.

Once I invest more care and concern about the characters, then their predicament (for me it's especially in the droid factory actually) captures my concern and empathy for the characters - that and when Padme falls out of the gunship and Anakin wants to go back for her but Obi-Wan must confront Dooku and can't go the distance with him alone.

But I also can't disagree with your son: this is the first time we've seen hundreds of Jedi in action, lightsabers drawn, in an all-out war of the warriors!

We may or may not see that again, even in Episode 3. I think that movie will be tempered down some to fit well with ANH, but it will feel more like The Empire Strikes Back with the personal duels and Jedi hunting going on.

AOTC's Battle for Geonosis may never be matched by another SW movie. But as a fan of land battles, Hoth was pretty darn good.

New added scenes to the Battle of Hoth could insert more AT-AT's, and show some X-wings engage TIEs as the transports leave Hoth to escape through the Imperial blockade - adding an air battle element to it, so to speak.

We could also see "All troops debark for ground assault," and watch as snowtroopers rappel off cable lines and cross 'no-man's land,' blasters firing! Snowspeeders could make runs at the snowtroopers and hand-to-hand combat could ensue in the trenches!

OK, what was this thread about?:sur:

Fulit
12-12-2002, 07:17 PM
stillakid, I have a Gamecube, do you happen to own Metroid Prime? There is a part in this game that has me tearing my hair out, it is so unattainable. LMK if you do and can help me w/ it, its driving me batty!

jjreason
12-13-2002, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't sell my kids either, but I do know very well the feeling of frustration having to watch certain parts of certain shows over and over and over again. Feel some comfort in the fact that it's not Barney or those damned Olsen twins....

stillakid
12-13-2002, 11:19 AM
stillakid, I have a Gamecube, do you happen to own Metroid Prime? There is a part in this game that has me tearing my hair out, it is so unattainable. LMK if you do and can help me w/ it, its driving me batty!

No, I haven't played that yet, but I've heard a lot about it. I'll let you know...

Originally posted by Tycho
New added scenes to the Battle of Hoth could insert more AT-AT's, and show some X-wings engage TIEs as the transports leave Hoth to escape through the Imperial blockade - adding an air battle element to it, so to speak.

We could also see "All troops debark for ground assault," and watch as snowtroopers rappel off cable lines and cross 'no-man's land,' blasters firing! Snowspeeders could make runs at the snowtroopers and hand-to-hand combat could ensue in the trenches!

I've always maintained that the Hoth battle didn't resonate with me just because of the absence of the types of things you mention above.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=89578#post89578

Here George set up the perfect WWII environment, with trench warfare and advancing tanks, but we don't see any of it. Instead, the sequence is pretty sanitized (ala, Gulf War CNN aerial footage) as we listen to Luke's boring monologue throughout. While I'm generally not in favor of George adding to the OT films, this is definitely one set of improvements that would be welcome in my book! Until then, what a great diorama it would make. :)

Lord Malakite
12-13-2002, 01:46 PM
I will need him in a few years to beat the scalpers to the new figures and punch them in the crotch for me.

Thats the most encouraging thing I heard today. :rolleyes:

stillakid, I have a Gamecube, do you happen to own Metroid Prime?

I might be able to help in a couple of days. Have the game, just haven't gotten around to playing it yet. It shouldn't be too difficult though. I just started playing Mario Sunshine two days ago, and I've already beat the game with 82 shines.

Fulit
12-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Thats the most encouraging thing I heard today. :rolleyes:

I thought about that after I posted it, I don't want it to seem like its the only reason I want my kid around, because nothing is further from the truth. But it will be a great plus in a few years. C'mon, admit it, you all wish you could punch scalpers in the crotch and get away with it.

Tycho
12-13-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Here George set up the perfect WWII environment, with trench warfare and advancing tanks, but we don't see any of it. Instead, the sequence is pretty sanitized (ala, Gulf War CNN aerial footage) as we listen to Luke's boring monologue throughout. While I'm generally not in favor of George adding to the OT films, this is definitely one set of improvements that would be welcome in my book! Until then, what a great diorama it would make. :)

That's how I set up my Battle of Hoth diorama with my toys, too! :)

stillakid
12-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
That's how I set up my Battle of Hoth diorama with my toys, too! :)

Aha! I found another...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=90024#post90024

I kept searching with "bayonet" in the terms but couldn't come up with anything. That's how I imagined it though, swarms of German-esque Stormtroopers overwhelming the entrenched Rebels, shooting at close range, stabbing the rest...the horror....the horror...:eek:

Need some pictures please....

BTW, most likely me and the fam are headed down to San Diego post Christmas for some Seaworld and Zoo action. I should pop in with my digital camera and start documenting all this. :D

mini-rock
12-23-2002, 03:59 AM

My 2 year old (just turned 2) will not go to sleep unless I put a Star Wars movie on for her, and it's been this way since she was about 6-7 months old. She changes her preferences often, like right now it's ROTJ, and a few weeks ago it was ANH. For awhile it was TPM, but it's the same with every movie. She hands me the tape or DVD, I put it on and leave the room, and in about 15-20 minutes she's out. I don't have to hear or see it since she has a tv, vcr, and xbox (for dvd's) in her room otherwise I might go nuts too. Nevermind I wouldn't:D.

Also when she hears the Imperial March she does this dance that's so cute. I pop in the soundtrack when my fellow Star Wars buddies come over and they think it's just the coolist thing.

Fulit
12-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock

Also when she hears the Imperial March she does this dance that's so cute. I pop in the soundtrack when my fellow Star Wars buddies come over and they think it's just the coolist thing.

LOL:D Just wait till she can talk, she'll be like mine and be reciting lines from the movie. My son can already say:

"It's all Obi-Wan's fault, he's jelly, he's holding me BACK!"

"This party's over"

and my favorite....

(garbled) "No be decided by our Force, but by sill witha lightsaber!"

mini-rock
12-24-2002, 12:04 AM
(garbled) "No be decided by our Force, but by sill witha lightsaber!"

LOL!! HAH HAH that's awesome.:D

plasticfetish
12-27-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by kadamontaga
Sell the kid buddy.

Hahahahahaha.

I will need him in a few years to beat the scalpers to the new figures and punch them in the crotch for me.

I've already got mine trained to say (real loud) ... "Is that a scalper daddy?"
Next I hope to get him to say ... "Buddy, do you really get anything for those on eBay?"
Or better yet, cry to the store manager that ... "the big weird man took all of the Ephant Mon figures to sell on-line."

Ahhh kids ... what fun!
In 12 years he can get a job at KB to buy his 46 year old father toys and video games with his discount.

InsaneJediGirl
12-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
I've already got mine trained to say (real loud) ... "Is that a scalper daddy?"
Next I hope to get him to say ... "Buddy, do you really get anything for those on eBay?"
Or better yet, cry to the store manager that ... "the big weird man took all of the Ephant Mon figures to sell on-line."
[/B]

Thats cute;)Can I borrow your kid one weekend plasticfetish,I doubt it would affect the scaplers
though..they're like animals:crazed:

I killed Starwars for my mother.She used to be a fan until I was about 11 and saw the Special Edition.I ran around acting like Yoda or Vader and it literally drove her nuts,I believe she even hid the tape set so I couldnt watch it for awhile.:D