PDA

View Full Version : Someone beat the crap out of Moby

Fulit
12-12-2002, 09:57 PM
I just read this over at www.drudgereport.com , Moby was rushed to the hospital after two "thugs" kicked his @ss, allegedly they were Eminem fans. I'm no fan of Moby, but I'm alternating between laughing hysterically and feeling pretty sorry for the guy. Must be embarassing to have someone that likes Eminem that much to kick your @ss.

derek
12-12-2002, 10:43 PM
does anyone know why eminem hates moby? i heard mr. mathers bashing moby in a song, but never knew the genesis of the feud.

Fulit
12-12-2002, 10:55 PM
I think maybe that Insult Comic Dog may have fueled the fire a bit, at the last MTV awards.

Exhaust Port
12-12-2002, 11:13 PM
The link on their website is wrong and a search on CNN brought up nothing. Is this for real or is it still too new to make the news wires?

Anyone got a working link?

Emperor Howdy
12-12-2002, 11:19 PM
No, no, no.....a while ago Moby called Eminem and his music
"misogynistic"....Moby recently apologized.....:rolleyes:

P.S. I thought Fulit was ASKING for someone to beat the crap out of Moby :D

QLD
12-12-2002, 11:26 PM
I did too Howdy, when I first saw the thread.

Fulit
12-13-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy

P.S. I thought Fulit was ASKING for someone to beat the crap out of Moby :D

Ha! I got a good laugh out of that one. Guess I should've worded it differently. I can only think of two people in this world I think deserve a beating, and neither one of them are famous. Now that you mention it, though, didn't Moby date Natalie Portman briefly? Considering I'm a much better catch, this may qualify him for a whoopin'. ;)

As far as the link not working, for some reason Matt Drudge feels the need to post the headline and dead link hours before linking the actual content of the story. Drudge is rarely wrong, though, and is generally a credible source of news.

plasticfetish
12-13-2002, 02:17 AM
You could try looking at Moby's Web site ...

http://www.moby.com/cms/viewdiary.asp?Diary_ID=1119&ViewType=Current

Here's his journal entry from today about it.

Sentinel18725
12-13-2002, 03:06 AM
It's a shame. I like both of them but I think Moby is more talented as an artist. Eminem is a great lyrisist but Moby digs in the past and makes it cool for now. .....in my opinion

jjreason
12-13-2002, 09:05 AM
I have records from both artists and like both. Moby's get played much more frequently however. Violence is stupid and pointless. The people who did this are comlpletely lost and should be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law.

Fulit
12-13-2002, 10:39 AM
I must say, he has a wonderful attitude about the whole thing.

Jargo
12-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Years after Eminenema has vanished into obscurity and all trace of his repugnant constant whining and self pity have been eradicated from the public psyche, Moby will still be there creating real music with real imagination and flair. What a shame that someone as amenable peaceable and placid as Moby should be attacked in this manner. Hope the b*******s die horribly and live in a perpetual hell of kelly Marie disco covers. :D No i don't wish that at all. Glad Moby doesn't feel too abused by it all. he's cool all right.

Fulit
12-13-2002, 02:54 PM
I don't know much about Moby's music. He doesn't do that "funk soul brother check it out now" song, does he? I hate that repetitive crap. It really angers me when music is repetitive and says the same thing a thousand times in a song. Repetition in music really bothers me. I get annoyed when people repeat things over and over. I see no need for musicians to repeat the same lines 5 dozen times a song, its irksome. I hate it when musicians are repetitive in their music.

See, it's annoying, isn't it?

Jargo
12-13-2002, 03:08 PM
You're thinking of Norman Cook, aka Fat Boy Slim. And yes that song/piece is repetitive crap. Moby is much more soulful and creative than that. Perhaps some of his stuff is repetitive at times but not in the 'in your face' way of FBS. Moby is just gorgeous to listen to on the headphones lying flat on your back staring at nothing but blue sky out the window. Inspirational stuff. Soul food. No attitude at all. I dunno maybe it's not to everyone's tastes, if you like rock and like it loud and brash then moby isn't exactly gonna cut the mustard is he? Then again all i hear with rock is a moron kickin ten kinds of shiite out of the drum kit and some screeching whining guitar nonsense at frequencies that hurts my ears and makes my nose bleed. All that talk of monumental rock and warriors of the underworld rubbish. That's just camp that is. Big hairy guys who are more camp than Emo Philips on a bad night. And all that rock is simply making a pastiche of itself making a pastiche of everything that went before. Moby tries new stuff all the time, and you can hear the notes too, real proper music. Spires of ethereal beauty ather than atom splitting decibels.

El Chuxter
12-13-2002, 03:13 PM
Moby dated Natalie Portman and Jewel both at different times, IIRC. Emenim annoys me to no end. All of his songs are threatening to kill everyone who's ripping him off. . . but no one's ripping him off because no one wants to rip off a talentless goon. Moby annoys me slightly less, but only because I don't think of anything done on a computer as "music" in the same sense as music created on instruments, and think he receives more credit as a musician than he deserves. I mean, sometimes I almost feel like I could buy a fancy schmancy computer and do what Moby does.

It's sad that someone beat up the guy, don't get me wrong. However, if a couple of Moby fans beat the crap out of Emenim, I'd be laughing my, um, head off.

JON9000
12-13-2002, 03:22 PM
Fulit, the funny thing is- you've probably heard every Moby song out there in adverts or in movies, and you didn't even know it! He's all over the place!

Fulit
12-13-2002, 03:23 PM
EMPEROR JARGO, do you have any .wav files or any kind of samples of Moby you could send me? I like all sorts of different stuff, but am not too adventurous when it comes to buying music. I think the last thing I bought was the new Queens of the Stone Age, mostly because Grohl was playing drums on it. But anyway, I'd be interested to hear some Moby, if it's like what you say it is.

Jargo
12-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Well, I probably hear things differently, I don't actually have the tech know how with sound to do any files, perhaps someone else is good with all that technical stuff and recording and wotnot. I would say perhaps Moby in his more recent stuff would suit better than his older stuff if you want a way into his music. It's definately not anything like FOO fighters or whatever haha, nothing like that kind of stuff. Speaking of being adventurous, I tend to buy stuff based on the album sleeve art or the name of the artist. Or a particular genre of music that's new to me will catch my eye. Currently i'm into buying music from the Indian subcontinent and scene. Bhangra and Bollywood movie soundtracks are a riot. I'm more into ambient soundscapes as well, I especially like ambient mixes of stuff that was mixed to be ambient in the previous incarnation. So I like Ambient ambient stuff. Chilled and mellow. Like Brian Eno on tranquilisers..... Moby isn't like that though. Moby is thought provoking but lively enough to make you shake your booty just a little bit once in a while. The thinking man's pop. Yeah, that sounds about right for how i percieve Moby.

Fulit
12-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
You're thinking of Norman Cook, aka Fat Boy Slim.

I've heard of him. I loved it when Chris Rock said he was "More like White Boy Retarded." How do some people get record deals?

QLD
12-13-2002, 03:56 PM
I kinda like Fatboy Slim. Very fun music.

I also like Moby.

Fulit, you may know the song "southside" that featured him with Gwen Stefani from No Doubt. Though it isn't necessarily typical of all of his music I think.

You could always use Kazaa to get a few samples of Moby's music. :evil:

Fulit
12-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I kinda like Fatboy Slim. Very fun music.

I also like Moby.

Fulit, you may know the song "southside" that featured him with Gwen Stefani from No Doubt. Though it isn't necessarily typical of all of his music I think.

You could always use Kazaa to get a few samples of Moby's music. :evil:

Kazaa is evil! Down with Kazaa! I have heard that song, I forgot that Moby contributed to it. Then again, who isn't outshined by Gwen, especially in the looks department.

QLD
12-13-2002, 08:31 PM
mmmmm.......gwen......mmmmmm.....reese.....mmmmmmm

Darth Sidious
12-13-2002, 10:33 PM
I have never heard any of Moby's music, but I have seen interviews with him and he seems nice and stuff and appears to be a pretty cool guy. I feel bad that he got beaten up, peaceful people like that shouldn't be submitted to that ****, pardon my language. It just sickens me.

jjreason
12-13-2002, 11:21 PM
Fulit - check out Moby's "I like to score" which features many tracks he's contributed to films (like "Mission Impossible" and "Heat" to name a couple). The music on this disc is less top 10 and more "soundscape"-ish as Jargo described above. Not necessarily going to rock you, but you will keep coming back to it. The last studio record (with the astronaut on the front, memory can't pull the name right now..."stars" maybe?) is not as good as the previous two. Get the one with his face under water first and check it out, tracks include "God's face moves over the water" or something like that, that's my favourite disc of his. ONe of the two is called "Play", I think that's the second last one, and has him jumping on the cover. These two are just super and will have you listening with your groove on many times over. Enjoy.

plasticfetish
12-14-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
It really angers me when music is repetitive and says the same thing a thousand times in a song. Repetition in music really bothers me.

Isn't repetition the basis of rhythm really? I think the nice thing about electronic music in general is that it affords just about anyone with the right tools/instruments to tweak that notion of what is and isn't "music". Sampling can be terrible, but other times it can be somewhat enlightening ... again, sort of causing you to rethink the idea behind what IS and ISN'T an "instrument". I've always looked at most of the electronic music of the past few years as being a lot like Pop Art ... grabbing and then re-scrambling the sounds and songs that we all know (in some cases too well) and then making something totally new from those ingredients.

In the case of Moby ... I think he does what he does very well. I think he makes no bones about being a commercial artist ... but at the same time I feel that he really does care about the music. Again ... it's kind of a Pop Art sort of Warhol thing. Fat Boy Slim ... former base player from the band The Housemartins (I've got that "London 0 Hull 4" vinyl around here someplace) ... I think does what he does well too. He's sampling much of the same stuff ... old American Blues, Soul and Funk ... and then modernizing it. Some might say that it's blasphemous to sample some of the music that they use and pick apart. I think it serves to prove the strength behind that sampled music and to bring it forward in time gracefully.

Anyway ... there may be Moby tracks to download at his site ... or at that evil evil evil MTV site ... or most probably at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063S6Z/qid=1039852482/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-9243842-6135808?v=glance&s=music)

jjreason
12-15-2002, 01:36 AM
The name of the bestest album is "Everything is Wrong". Nothing is wrong with the album. Yes, I could have edited, but I made a new post so so the parties interested in the music would know people were still responding. Sorry.

scruffziller
12-17-2002, 10:14 AM
I am a HUGE Em fan and I actually like Moby. I am not huge fan but I like him nonetheless. And Em would not condone physical vilolence against him. Behold the PARADOX that is me. Embrace the lukewarmness.

Jargo
12-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Is that cold and clammy, old sweat lukewarmness? Cuz if so I don't think I want to do any embracing right now. I'll pass thanks.

There are just people out there looking for an excuse to lash out. Whatever kind of impotence pervades their tawdry lives they feel the need to express it by hitting people least likely to spring back with counter attack. I mean look at the size of Moby, he's skinny and weak and i bet the attackers were stocky guys with a large amount of weight behind them. and more than one to tackle a skinny guy like Moby, that shows what real men they were, two or three to one skinny guy probably with his hands full of records so he couldn't even defend himself. True class in a glass those guys. :Pirate:

plasticfetish
12-18-2002, 03:30 AM
Two things you never do ... hit a girl ... hit a vegan.

The Overlord Returns
12-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I am a HUGE Em fan and I actually like Moby. I am not huge fan but I like him nonetheless. And Em would not condone physical vilolence against him.

No, but he would threaten him with physical violence in a childish manner, making a huge @$$ of himself in front of millions at the MTV awards......... smart boy that eminem...

Brave Sir Robin
12-19-2002, 01:29 PM
I HATE Eminem with a burning fiery passion, the stupid little twerp is all show, and an egomaniac trying to come off as the toughest gang-sta on the planet. I would rather be devoured by a pack of wolves than listen to one of his homophobia-preaching excuses for albums, and I would give my left nut to see Eminem disemboweled by a pack of angry Jawas.

I don't know anything about Moby, but if that little a-hole Eminem hates him then that makes him pretty cool by my standards. I didn't used to like Christina Aguilera and then I downloaded that song of hers, "Will the Real Slim Shady Please Shut Up." Hah. Go Chrissy.

Arrogant Arse
12-19-2002, 03:37 PM
I wish Eminem would go away. In his song he says "No body listens to Techno." I listen to Techno! Personally, I don't know anybody that listens to Emineminem, (kind of like Amanaman), or cares for him. As a native Detroiter, where Eminemenemenem(sp?) is from, I hope Kidd Rock, and Uncle Cracker beat the **** out of him.

The clock is at 14:35 and counting for Mr. Mathers

plasticfetish
12-19-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Arrogant Arse
In his song he says "No body listens to Techno." I listen to Techno!

Yeah ... I kind of laughed at that line. Nobody listens to techno ... uh ... errr ... except for your DJ maybe.

metaljedi
12-25-2002, 05:47 AM
Feminem is tired. He couldn't handle it when the crowd started booing him at the MTV Music Awards after he threatened Moby. He's a waste of everyone's time and money.