PDA

View Full Version : The Old Subtitles

Jek Porky 2002
12-14-2002, 06:05 AM
A bit of a silly thread, but:

Does anyone else miss those old subtitles that appear whenever a charactor is speaking in an alien language?

They where on the Theatrical version of the film, but not on the DVD, which is understandable, really, because they are the standard DVD subtitles used for all films. But when I checked the video version, they where the same as the DVD.

I just think it's a shame, because they where just so retro looking, and so Star Wars, if you catch my drift.

mini-rock
12-14-2002, 01:41 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what SW films do you mean? :confused:

Jedi Learner
12-14-2002, 02:36 PM
I understand what you mean, but I think the last time any "original" subtitles appeared on video was the old pre-THX CBS/FOX VHS versions of the Classic Trilogy released fifteen years ago. Since then, all home editions of the Star Wars films (VHS and DVD) have had their subtitles replaced by a different, "video-generated" font.

When the Special Editions came out in '97, I remember the theatrical prints retained the original subtitle font of the original films (which was cool), but this font was again changed when they were mastered to video.

I guess if you're really into Star Wars nostalgia or are a true film purist, there's something to be missed, but I'm not sure if it's any great loss.

Beast
12-14-2002, 02:49 PM
I don't recall about the VHS, but in regards to the DVD. It's much easier for to prepare the DVD's if they remove the original burned in subtitles. That way they can use 1 print of the film for all regions, and just encode the dfferent subtitles needed for each country the film gets released in. Yes, it is a bit sad that the old burned in subtitles have gone the way of the dodo. But it's really for the best. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
12-15-2002, 12:49 AM
Hopefully someone can post comparison pics of the two b/c I still can't remember what the differences are.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-15-2002, 12:30 PM
It looks like what I did in the pic, roughly. The thing in the green border is what it looked like in the theater, in the blue looks like what it does on DVD (I probably goofed up theline though!).

mini-rock
12-15-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
It looks like what I did in the pic, roughly. The thing in the green border is what it looked like in the theater, in the blue looks like what it does on DVD (I probably goofed up theline though!).

Thanks for the comparison shots. I'm an idiot!:rolleyes: As many times as I saw AOTC in the theater you think I would've noticed this.

Now that I know though I do agree the theatrical subs look better than the DVD version.:)