PDA

View Full Version : Imperial officer head variants

Jargo
12-16-2002, 04:34 PM
http://www.cantinacollectibles.com/index.htm

The website above has posted pics of the unproduced Imperial officer head variants from the POTJ era. galactic hunter had the story first but i wanted to bring it up here for discussion. These are really cool unpainted hardcopies of the heads but i did a quick paint job on the pics to sort of show how they might have ended up. I did them grey because i just have a weird feeling hasbro will do the upcoming head variants uniform a different color to black. Don't know why I think that but I do.

Anyway, take the link above, go to unproduced products and have a mosey round at some cool first shots and here's my tweaked version of the head variants. feeble as my effort is. :)

plo koon 200
12-16-2002, 05:17 PM
I wish you had the actual version. The comparison is not good. Well for me anyways.

Jargo
12-16-2002, 05:32 PM
Here's the first one...

Jargo
12-16-2002, 05:34 PM
And number two....

Fulit
12-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Is it just me, or does the middle shot of head #1 look like that prison guard from Shawshank Redemption?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-16-2002, 07:50 PM
I think #2 has herpes:eek:

BoShek
12-16-2002, 10:28 PM
Cooler than the 1138 version of Jango Fett for sure!

jjreason
12-17-2002, 12:50 AM
The sculpts are beautiful. How does production monkey so many of them up so badly? Those guys are Van Goghs for sure. Is this the face of the new figure coming this year?

mrmiller
12-17-2002, 07:46 AM
If Hasbo is going to "Re-issue" the Imperial Officer, I hope it decides to use one of the different head sculpts- or both. Would be great for army builders and Dioramas.

=MATT=

Jargo
12-17-2002, 07:56 AM
Possibly Hasbro might use one, I'd guess that the fat faced one is a good contender since he's physically different to the current one. I prefer the skinny faced one though, looks meaner. It's entirely possible that a number of other heads were made and considered for use too. I still think hasbro should use both these and shove out a third variant or possibly use it for an officer rather than a light duties Stormtrooper which is what the officer we have really is. A proper tunic'ed officer with rank badge and all that,muse the fat head for it, make the skinny one another light duties Stormtrooper. In fact just keep churning out the head variants on new officers and uniform variants. I can't get enough of imperials. I want tons for my displays, Endor, Bespin, Tatooine, Death star hangar, I think I want about fifty different officers. Just to make it look right of course. And while they're at it shove out some more death star troopers too with straighter legs of different poses. Bad guys rock! (But rebels are cool too in a wishy washy sort of way).
I think we need General Tagge, Col. Wulf Yalaren, new Captain Piett, Captain Needa, Admiral Ozzel, General Veers, Chief bast, LT. Praji, LT. Childsen, and that officer that says "you rebel scum!" :D he's cool. And the officer played by jeremy Bulloch on Bespin. Color variations in uniform too. Not enough Imperial officers I reckon.

Jayspawn
12-17-2002, 11:32 AM
I hope Hasbro uses one of both of those. The sculpts look great! We need more Imperial Officers!

evenflow
12-17-2002, 02:55 PM
I will take it.

plo koon 200
12-19-2002, 03:28 PM
yes more officers. Bring out the variations.

Dark Knight
12-19-2002, 07:01 PM
Here is one off of E-bay.

Rebel trooper

:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2474&item=3101375328

Imperial officers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3101376497

Opps! I guess what I get for not looking closer at previous post or even the pic's.
:eek: :D

Jargo
12-19-2002, 08:48 PM
They just used the pics posted earlier at galactic hunter dot com.

sith_killer_99
12-21-2002, 02:59 PM
It does indeed look like we will be seeing 2 new head sculpts.:D (judging from Steve's news)

Are these the same "wrinkled uniform" officer sculpts? Or did Hasbro dust off another officer mold and do a little kit bashing? It's hard to tell for sure.

Jargo
12-21-2002, 05:40 PM
The head sculpts are the same two as those prototype pics. So they're doing two variants and giving us all three heads after all which is very cool but worrying if this is going to be anything like the battle droid situation and we just won't be able to find them, or one of them. The uniforms have two different styles? All my POTJ ones appear to be wrinkly. What's the difference then?
Oh and that pic of the two proto heads i tnkered with, i just got the hair colors the wrong way round. Good guess though that one would be blond don't you think? But I'll hold my hands up and say I was barking up the wrong tree thinking they'd make the uniform a different color. A shame though, some grey uniforms would have been cool. I'll just have to customise some then. The paint apps on the heads looks pretty sloppy though in that comparison pic Steve posted. Some things never change eh?

Tycho
12-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Emperor Jargo: I'd hold off on customizing the figures. Now this is just wishful thinking, but I would hold out until we do get some regular (non-character) grey uniform Imperial officers.

Those must all be in the neatly-pressed officer uniforms, versus the jumpsuits are new 2 head-variant guys are in (by the way, that's 2 total including last year's. I see no evidence of 3 headsculpts - just unintentional paint variations on the brown haired dude).

When they do a grey-uniform Navy guy (think Piett and Veers' uniform styles) they can re-issue that one in black for an Army commander.

Meanwhile, I was really glad to see they did a blonde haired Imperial Officer. At this size, it's harder to tell the difference between facial features.

See, in the meantime we could get:

Black Bespin Security
Black Naboo Security
White Naboo Royal Guard
new Death Star Trooper
Black Republic Senate Guard
Back Cloud Car Pilot
White Cloud Car Pilot

what else?

I realize that there are other races that could be represented:
Asian, Indian, Latino, and more. But at the 3 3/4" scale it's really hard to tell what a person looks like ethnically (except for the great job they did on the Asian Bespin Guard). However, with hats on, or barely visible faces like on the Senate Guard, how can you tell if someone is Asian under that helmet. I think only the darkest skin color will look significantly different from the white guard.

What do you think?

Jargo
12-22-2002, 06:08 AM
Tycho, take a look at the POTJ officer then look at the pics of the two variants Steve posted. The darker haired one is smaler of head and has a more grizzled face and it's rounder too. The other one that's blond has a bigger head than both the others and a more angular jawline. It is three head variants, hasbro hasn't re-used the POTJ one for 2003.

The uniforms on the imp officer match the AT-ST drivers uniform and the scanning trooper. That's what I was thinking for customisations. I want the guys for regular grunts not officers. Hasbro needs to get officers out that are actually officers, named characters, Captain Needa, Admiral Ozzel, General Veers, Moff Jerjerrod, general tagge, Chief bast, LT. Childsen as seen on the front of the imp officer packaging. All those characters wore the correct tunic with breeches, they all had rank bars and code cylinders in their top pockets. This imp officer is not an officer but a light duties stormtrooper or pilot. That might not be the correct military term but it's close enough to imply what i mean by it.

Proper officers should be made so we have a proper chain of command from the lowly droids through scan troopers to officers and finally all the way up to Vader and Palpy. Same with the rebels. No command structure. You can't have a war in space without the correct command structure.

JEDIpartner
12-22-2002, 09:00 AM
The wide faced one is Scarrrrrry! I'm glad that Hasblah is at LEAST exacting a little more effort with the reissues of the Imperial Officer figure. Do you think that there will be more Tantive Defender variations down the pike?

Jargo
12-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Well if they made the same number of head variations it's at least possible. This second head on the SAGA card doesn't look as dorky as the first one, that POTJ one was a real Pilsbury dough boy lookin' fella. :D This new one looks more like an average shaped head. All we need now is a pic of the third head for the RFT. But being honest here, the helmet on the RFT hides so much of his head anyway it's hard to tell what he looks like. I hope they do this for the death star trooper too. A new head variant or two on that with neutrally posed legs would be ultra sweet. :happy: