PDA

View Full Version : The Celebreties Are Here! Put All Civil Liberties On Hold!

JediCole
12-17-2002, 12:45 PM
As I was preparing to leave the house last night, Mrs. JediCole was flipping channels and arrived on ET or one of those other entertainment news shows just in time for a story about Ben Aflec and Jennifer Lopez having "quite the scare" at an exclusive Hollywood boutique. It seems that some guy was walking around the area "acting suspicious" and was promptly arrested! The policeman interviewed said something to the effect of, "We knew that the celebreties were inside and there were newspeople around so we thought it would be best to play it safe and arrest the man". It was explained that there was no clear indication that the "suspect" even knew the couple was in the shop and he was not taken into custody or charged. However, he is "under investigation".

I for one slept better last night knowing that Benjie and JLo managed to escape their brush with the mundane completely unscathed! Whew!

The Overlord Returns
12-17-2002, 12:53 PM
I'd take the story with a grain of salt. Say what you will about Afflecks acting, but he seems to NOT be a wanker in real life....I doubt he would freak out because some guy was acting a little loonie in the general vicinity of he and his wife.........

Still, if it is true............wanker.

Rogue II
12-17-2002, 01:03 PM
It wasn't me!!! I wasn't stalking JLo, and I can prove it. I was just out for a stroll.;)

Speaking of actors who are wankers, does anyone wonder why Sean Penn is in Iraq and what he hopes to accomplish? **coughJaneFondacoughcough**

STOP THE WAR!!! Sean Penn doesn't approve!!!!:crazed:

The Overlord Returns
12-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
It wasn't me!!! I wasn't stalking JLo, and I can prove it. I was just out for a stroll.;)

Speaking of actors who are wankers, does anyone wonder why Sean Penn is in Iraq and what he hopes to accomplish? **coughJaneFondacoughcough**

STOP THE WAR!!! Sean Penn doesn't approve!!!!:crazed:

Here's the CNN story on what Penn is doing there.

http://asia.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/12/15/iraq.penn/

Quite frankly, I think it's cool that someone of Penns character is viiting Iraq, and getting the other side of life in this struggle. I don't think he's trying to accompliash anything, other than maybe bringing americans a less biased, more objective look at life for citizens in Iraq.

Besides, most of the western worlds population doesn't support this war. I'm quite sure Pen doesn't think Bush will slow down because he says so.

LTBasker
12-17-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
I'd take the story with a grain of salt. Say what you will about Afflecks acting, but he seems to NOT be a wanker in real life....I doubt he would freak out because some guy was acting a little loonie in the general vicinity of he and his wife.........

Still, if it is true............wanker.

Well ya know Jennifer isn't the Queen of Sheba, who's to say it was Ben who ordered the police to check the guy out?

The main point being that just because a guy wasn't acting "normal" in the same area that a couple of "actors" are (ok Affleck's had some ok moments but Jennifer, BAH!) then it's ok to just arrest someone from out of the blue. No questioning, no asking if he could keep his distance, no anything - just an arrest. In the end it's probably just nothing and whoever ordered the guy to be investigated was majorly paranoid.

JediTricks
12-17-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
I for one slept better last night knowing that Benjie and JLo managed to escape their brush with the mundane completely unscathed! Whew! No matter what happened in this shop, I guarantee you neither escaped that brush. :D

JediCole
12-17-2002, 09:56 PM
Good one, JT!

I should point out that it was never reported exactly who called it the police in this matter. It seemed to me that it was more the initiative of over-pandering police or the management of the shop. But as LTBasker pointed out, just happening to be in the vicinity of the happy couple is not a crime and certainly not worthy of an arrest. Have we reached the point where someone cannot simply be told that there are concerns about their presence and that they cannot be simply, respectfully, asked to move on down the road? Are movie star couples now given a status tantamount to that of our President? If Bush (or indeed any President in office) shopping for Christmas and some oddball wandered into the vicinity, that is a genuine concern. But when we allow the police to act as the personal Gestapo for shopping celebs then we should all begin to worry. It is an all too well illustrated truism that one need only be very much in the public eye to get favorable treatment and/or sentencing when on the other side (crime suspect/convict) of the law.