PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Deluxe Figure PICS!

Battle Droid
12-18-2002, 09:06 AM
Obi-Wan & Jango.

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?id=96

Jango looks like a rehash of Kamino Escape Jango.

Kenobi looks SWEET though!

JEDIpartner
12-18-2002, 09:11 AM
Well, there you have it kids...

There's your "wet look" Obi-Wan. It's really not so bad except for the fact that he's force pushing something that never existed. I like the landing platform pieces. The Jango DOES look a little "rehashed". Oh, well... you give a little- you take a little.

LTBasker
12-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Um... those look terrible. Sure it's wet Obi-Wan but geez, he's got a frickin tube in his arm! And for what? For a "force push". Judging from the picture, you push down on the pillar and it uses air to push the crate off the invisible base. Um... that's one thing that would've been right to do with magnets. :rolleyes: Just put a magnet in his hand and he could've not needed an base to stand on, nor a tube running from his arm but he could still push the crate away.

Jango looks like KE Jango with a new right arm and a topple-over pillar. Even the first Deluxe Jango was more original. :sur:

Tycho
12-18-2002, 10:13 AM
What I don't think I like is the large holes that will be in these figures' backs.

Doesn't anyone see the large plastic tube running into each of their backs?

Obi-Wan's is used to blow air out of his hand to knock over figures, like that Luke Dagobah suit case he seems to come with, which I doubt has the second clear plastic stand piece that it's sitting on, included....

Jango may not be poseable at all, so that the figure is light enough to shoot off his stand when you pump the airpump launcher.

I just hope these things fit standard plugs so I can refill my basketball....

The figures look OK. You can't mess Jango up (aesthetically) really (the last deluxe figure being the latest exception) but I need to see a closeup of Obi-Wan's head to tell for sure how good he looks.

Innovative, but again, the Deluxe figures are mostly for kids to play with. I don't really play with my Force flippers, so I doubt I'll be running around the room with a bicycle pump, chasing my action figures, either...

Sorry to sound negative. I usually really like what Hasbro does. But the deluxe line scares me (Clone, Yoda, C-3PO, Nexu being some exceptions).

Meanwhile, the airpump's Kamino disguises are kind of cool... just not THAT cool. Oh well, so far I DO plan to buy these. But I'd like a regular carded Obi-Wan with the wet look, and no airhose hole in his back!

LTBasker
12-18-2002, 10:16 AM
Tycho, Jango doesn't have a tube running into him. The thing hanging behind him is his firing missile from the reused 300th Boba/KE Jango jetpack. Obi-Wan would've been better having it be used with magnets, cause then he would be mobile. Think of the limitations now that you gotta take around that huge pump just to use his force action. I mean if they had done it with magnets, then you could have fun "force-pushing" other stuff.

rherk
12-18-2002, 11:50 AM
See, this is exactly what ****es me off! That Obi Won looks like a perfectly good figure but then they have to make it deluxe and come with Crap no one really wants or has space for! GEEZ!! JUST MAKE ACTION FIGURES!!!!

Master ToNone
12-18-2002, 12:52 PM
Wet Obi with his robe on looks pretty good and can only get better. And the accesories look like they can double for nice set pieces in a diaroama. Let's not forget the Bacta tank Luke had some funky gadgets, but it looks pretty cool standing alone.

It's a much needed addition and if you don't like it don't buy it.:crazed:

Darth Trymybestus
12-18-2002, 12:53 PM
That Jango Fett looks awesome!! I am DEFINITELY buying that Jango Fett figure, it looks to me like the definitive Kamino/Coruscant Jango Fett:)
I just LOVE the sculpt, it's exactly how he is in the movie when he takes his blasters out and starts firing at Obi-Wan!!

Kamino Escape is a fantastic Jango Fett figure but with the helmet on, it looks kinda crappy how you can see his neck (petty I know!).

Those accessories are great for diorama's though:D
One question... do you think we'll get a normal rocket for Jango's Jetpack like we did for Kamino Escape? I would much prefer that as I display my figures, I don't play with them.

I'm sure you could cut the tube off Obi-Wan with a scalpole, that is a very good Obi Wan, finally a normal robed Obi Wan Kenobi:)

Jargo
12-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Forget the don't like don't buy argument. These are poo products and unless they're designed for retards I can't see the play value for kids in them. And who needs more Jango or Obi-Wan figures anyway? Okay maybe the Obi as a basic figure might have been okay but another Jango? how dull. I thought they might have shown some of the other deluxe figures like the spider droid or the destroyer droid launcher. I really feel scared about what they've gimmicked up the spider droid with now. And we have randy at Hasbro to blame for all this apparently, Star wars kids had an interview webchat thing where he stated that his job was to gimmickize the figures and totally ruin them before they leave the design stage. he then oversees the construction of all their lameness and non firing non working glory until he signs off at factory level. So thanks for stuffing things up randy! :frus: You seriously expect kids to like this? yawn yawn yawn.

Tycho
12-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Clone Trooper = awesome. Very useful for diorama makers with Clones getting geared up. Speederbike? Well - it was cut out of the movie, but perhaps practical to have used on Geonosis.

Nexu = perfect. It's exactly what it should be.

C-3PO = perfect. It's fun, interacts with other stuff (Padme, Arena Playset, etc.) and gives you two figures and an action feature that really works just as it did in the movie.

Yoda = not bad. A better sculpt of Yoda than the carded figure, an extra SuperDroid figure, and a playset base, more or less.

Anakin cutting a Geonsian - new face sculpt of Anakin ok, but better for the speeder chase, action feature works so-so. 3-way sliced Geonosian -awesome for diorama builders...

Mace Windu cutting a Battledroid - best AOTC sculpt of Mace in a cool pose, nice for dioramas. Battledroid sucks having no foot holes to keep it standing, much less together, BEFORE Mace attacks it. Lame...

Geonosian - pretty much a redo of the first figure, but with new cool wings, but ones that aren't as poseable as I'd prefer them to be (permanently capable of staying open flapping versus gliding). Nice sonic gun. Dumb cone accessory (but it smells good)

Force Flipping Figures - offer a slightly different pose for diorama makers, but only 15 minutes of amusement or less, trying to flip the figures to land on their feet. Ever use 2 at the same time? It's hard to do if you're playing by yourself. I've wondered what even my friends who collect would think if I wanted them to play with these with them???? Koo-Koo, Koo-Koo...

I haven't been able to bring myself to buy Anakin even yet...

Jango Fett Electronic - pretty cool considering removeable armor - but if you can remove his armor, why not his helmet? They had the head sculpt! And the gaping hole in his back and non-poseability...is this an ACTION figure? Hmmm.

Obi-Wan Kamino...wet, sculpted like I wanted him. Includes pieces useable in dioramas? I'll reserve judgement until I personally see him. The hose in the back doesn't help too much though.

Jango Fett ...another one? Nice sculpt, but reminds me of the Sneak Preview one, though everyone else is saying Kamino Escape...whatever, the diorama-useful pieces are the biggest attraction.

Keep in mind, there will ALSO be an Obi-Wan vs. Jango screen scene two-pack. These "wet sculpts" may be far superior! That I also want to see.

Jargo, when I have my scenes set up with the right and best looking figures, I'll agree - it's enough with Obi-Wan and Jango. But I still want a few Obi-Wan's yet:

Wet - hood up
Wounded from Count Dooku
Dry, hood down from Jedi Temple
A definitive wet, fighting look - maybe in the screen scene, maybe this deluxe...

LTBasker
12-18-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Jango Fett ...another one? Nice sculpt, but reminds me of the Sneak Preview one, though everyone else is saying Kamino Escape...whatever, the diorama-useful pieces are the biggest attraction.

3 Ways to tell:
-The wide-stance leg goes the other direction on the Sneak Preview
-The arms are bent rather than straight out, if it was just KE Jango then the right arm would be straight out, but like VulcanTouch did in a Customizing thread, they gave KE Jango a new right arm so it's like the left one and non-gimmickized.
-The Helmet is taller, on SP Jango, FB Jango, Deluxe Jango, Boba's and the Accessory set's Jango helmets are all shorter.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
You seriously expect kids to like this crap? yawn yawn yawn.

Somehow I think they'd have more fun if they could around "force-pushing" various magnetic objects with just Obi-Wan via his magnet in his hand rather than having to carry around a huge tube and pump so they can attempt to blow stuff over... You'd think Obi-Wan would've used the pump to get dry in the first place so it makes even less sense. :D

Jargo
12-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Don't give hasbro bad ideas, Bouffant drying obi-Wan is not a figure i want randy from Hasbro to consider.

JEDIpartner
12-18-2002, 03:11 PM
I like the way you keep typing "randy" and not "Randy." It's like an inferred "he's so insignificant" thing...

Me Likey! :p

mrmiller
12-18-2002, 03:45 PM
Looks like these could have be great figures, but the action features look horrible. Now for the "Deluxe" line I suppose they needed a "Bigger" gimmick than the little magnets, but this pump and hose thing is crazy. looks like something Austin Powers would carry around ;)

=MATT=

Jargo
12-18-2002, 03:49 PM
I appeal to you all to go to the dear hasbro section and add your support to the Sack Randy from Hasbro thread. :D Let's stop his reign of terror and sheer madness. The man is out of his mind and out of control with your toys!!!!!!! Stop him now before it's all, all too late, for goodbyes...... :happy: :stupid: :p :D

jblodgett
12-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Is that some type of "leaping" platform attached to Jango's piece???

Beast
12-18-2002, 06:10 PM
I don't know, I kind of like the Obi-Wan. As long as the hose detaches from his back/arm, which is likely does. Nice figure, looks accurate for the scene. Includes Jango's suitcase that disapeers from the Kamino Landing Platform when the fight starts. As long as the tube connection point is just a small hole, then I'll be happy.

The Jango is yawn, but pretty much after all the Jango's we've had they all will be. About the only thing that we need from a Jango is his Apartment Jammies. Kenobi's a must own, Jango's a maybe pick-up later. Looking at the pic again, notice that Obi-Wan's on a stand. Maybe the tube connects to the stand. Then a tube sealed inside the figure goes from the hole in his foot, up thru the body into the arm. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
12-18-2002, 07:12 PM
If only this new Jango had the bladed forearms.

Jerjerrod
12-18-2002, 07:24 PM
Too many Jangos, too many Obi's. Why must they abuse the use of major characters in EP1 and EP2. First Darth Maul and his quazillion figures, and now this.

They didn't even abuse Vader that much (mainly because they were all good).

Let's see if randy at Hasbro can work a little harder by producing other deluxe figures that I'll actually buy.

amidalak
12-19-2002, 12:01 AM
I'm still waiting on an Obi Wan w/out a stupid gimmick or a stupid pose!

Jayspawn
12-19-2002, 12:22 AM
I think they look pretty good. I'm more excited about the landing platforms and towers they come with.

Banthaholic
12-19-2002, 12:46 AM
After POTJ I thought the Deluxe line was rebounding from Episode 1 monstrosities. If one they could figure out what fans what more than 50% of the time.
I see these Jango's & Obi's warming the pegs rights next to teh last Deluxe one's

jblodgett
12-19-2002, 10:26 AM
They make Jango and Obiwan because they sell.

What kid wants to buy a Royal Guard figure? Nobody. But every kid loves Obiwan and Jango and so forth.

If anything, I would like to see Hasbro make some PLAIN "mainstream" characters with OUTSTANDING articulation (elbows, wrists, knees, ankles in addition to shoulders/hips/waist/neck). Hasbro is always going to make at least ONE main character with every new production line- that is the only way they can make sure their products continue to sell. A product line that included Ketwol, Djas Puhr, Nikto, Orn Fre Ta, and Shaak Ti might be wonderful for the collectors out there- but nobody else would buy the thing because nobody would know what the hell they were. Blink and you miss all of those characters in the movies.

Luke/Leia/Han/Darth Vader/Darth Maul/etc. are readily acknowledged and recognized- that is why so many of them are made.

aceguide
12-19-2002, 11:07 AM
These look great. I guarantee my kid will love them both. He can't get enough OB1's.

This was arguably my favorite scene from the movie - so I'm happy.

Now for the wait....

Jargo
12-19-2002, 02:03 PM
When i was a kid and looked at the pegs full of star wars figures I saw some cool looking aliens that I didn't recognise and then the characters i did such as han and leia and Luke and vader.... To me the aliens were more colorful and more unique looking. They excited me far more than boring human characters. Weird aliens and robots are what kids go for not the core characters. If anything kids end up with the core characters because their parents foist them on the kids by enfocing the image that the core characters are the real characters and wotnot. I've actually seen parents say to kids holding a Geonosian warior in their hands "don't you want a Mace Windu instead?" which is like saying to a kid "you will buy the toy that has a shape and form I'm more comfortable with. I don't like you having scary monsters" so naturally the kid wants to please their parents and complies. then walks away looking back at the geonosian warrior hanging on the pegs with a wistful last glance and a boring mace Windu in their hands.
I totally disagree that a core character needs to be in every wave. STAR WARS is ingrained in the public psyche. It's a cultural entity with as much power as a religion. Instant brand recognition like Ford cars. If it's star wars then it's either cool to you or leaves you cold. the background characters, well who cares what they're called as long as we get them because they are by far the most interesting part of the whole saga, visually fantastical and colorful. Strange and weird looking in a way that stimulates the imagination. One Luke skywalker done well would suffice. A kid will swing the one Luke between whatever scenes their imagination concocts during play, they don't need a Luke for every tiny scene he appeared in. The repetition of figures is what turns kids off a toyline. "Oh, another Han Solo, got him already" Kids want new and interesting characters to flesh out the universe they create in their minds. Limiting figures with gimmicks is als another surefire way to bore kids into turning away from star wars to something that allows them to use the toys more imaginatively. Versatility in a product is what is needed not scene specific stuff that only works a few times before collapsing under the strain. Randy is responsible for overseeing the designs for the deluxe figures and i have to say he shows a severe lack of imagination to allow these things to get through to the production stage. Hasbro need to get someone in there who actually cares about the toys and cares about the people who buy them. I don't mean in a big love up kind of way but in a way that means there's some kind of interaction, At the moment it seems to be that we get what randy says we get and that Randy has no idea about style and taste and aesthetic, that he's blinkered and unimaginative and dull in the head and heart. There is no soul to anything he signs for production. It's just product, lumps of plastic. Not toys but things. We need someone in there to make toys again. A cohesive whole not a fragmented and bitty toyline. We need environments for our figures that can sustain play, that can be manipulated to offer multi choices for play. If Randy is the guy saying no to ideas like that then get rid of him now and get someone who will see the sense in expanding the play options further and further. the horizons for star wars aren't bounded by convention that's not what star wars is about it's about letting go and flying with mad ideas to see where they go, to have any of the characters star in the epic of your own making and let them have whatever ship they want to fly to get around the universe you make in your bedroom or wherever you play. Randy is stifling the whole thing with tied to scenes conventions and styling and posturing. Grown men who've forgotten how to be kids are not what this line needs at all. True someone has to take the reigns as far as budget goes and how much and how little can and can't be realistically produced but for gods sake STOP BEING SO GROWN UP AND LEARN TO PLAY AGAIN! Unwind your mind randy and let the play be free.

JON9000
12-19-2002, 03:22 PM
I like the parts of the Kamino platform. I doubt the action features will work.

Tycho
12-19-2002, 06:09 PM
What Deluxe Figures have been worth it:

Luke w. Bacta Tank (a playset!)
Leia w. Sailbarge cannon (a real large size weapon!)
Darth Maul EU w. Training Droid (2 figures!)
Snowtrooper w. E-webb cannon (a real large size weapon!)
Hoth Soldier w. radar dish cannon (a real large size weapon!)
Probot (a real large size figure!)
C-3PO w. droid factory & battle droid (a playset!)
Nexu (a real large size figure!)
Clone Trooper w. removeable armor & bike (real intricate detail!)

Yoda and Amanaman were worth their sculpts, but unnecessarily needed as Deluxe.

What WOULD be good deluxe sets?

Torry Far with Ion Cannon Control
General Reikeen with Echo Base Command Post
General Dadonna with Yavin Tactical Projector
General Madine with Endor Tactical Hologram
Han Solo with Bespin Torture Chair
Darth Vader in Meditation Chamber (not complete galaxy)
Poggle the Lesser with Geonosian Tactical Holo
Nute Gunray with spider-walker chair
Queen Amidala with Theed Throne
Queen Amidala with Royal Starship throne (purple, fits in ship)
Tey How with Droid Control Ship command center
Han Solo Carbonite, freezable, unfreezalbe, articulated, accurate
Darth Vader funeral pyre - almost unleashed style
Qui-Gon Jinn funeral pyre - almost unleashed style
Chubba Seller with food stand
Shmi Skywalker with Tusken Hutt
Jango Fett casual attire with molded armor in closing closet
General Veers with add-on Hoth armor
Captain Antilles with Escape Pod (I know...but not more R2, 3PO please!)

I'm sure I could go on....

Death Star Gimp
12-19-2002, 07:43 PM
I agree with a lot of what Emperor Jargo has to say. At 32 I still regard myself as a big child and I do still go for the more interesting figures like I did as a kid (my favourite figure then was Snaggletooth and I still can't see him in the film!). I am fed up to the back teeth with main characters. Wet Obi-Wan would be good as a single figure, DX Jango - I am tired of him altogether.

Out of all the figures we know we are getting this year only Aayla Secura/Wat Tambor and Coleman Trebor hold my interest because they are original.

Darth Trymybestus
12-19-2002, 07:54 PM
The Jango Fett is cool, the best sculpted Jango Fett figure YET in my humble opinion :)
What I am wondering is.... will he get a normal rocket in his backpack like we got with the Jango Fett Kamino Escape and the 300th Boba Fett?

Because I hope that that's not the only rocket that we get with him, this Jango Fett is a must have, it combines the best elements of Preview figure and Kamino Escape and puts them together to make the definitive Jango Fett :)
I guess I like it because although the Kamino one is awesome, you can see his neck under his helmet and also he has that rope thingymajig on his arm.
Preview is awesome but it's too overposed, this looks cool but isn't too posed and it has NO gimmcks YAY and also, it has holsters, cool as ice!:crazed: :)

As far as Obi Wan Kenobi, it is very cool, I could live without the pump thingy but hey, it's a necessary evil I suppose.
I think the best normal Obi Wan figure will end up being Acklay Battle Obi Wan.

These 2 figures are a must have for any Rumble in the Rain fans (I wouldn't think there are any people on here who didn't love that scene:))

My 2 cents :D

187-Maul
12-20-2002, 07:10 AM
I don't know about these two figures, they look kinda boring, I was hoping for a better and especially new Jango Fett, not a (as it seems) rehash of some parts of older versions
the obi-wan looks ok but I have no need for him, now if he could hold his lightsaber in TWO hands like ALL jedi should...
overall, I'm not that impressed

Beast
03-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Here's a nice big picture of the prototype/test shot of the upcoming Deluxe Obi-Wan. He looks pretty good, and I'm still betting that the hole for the tube is going to be fairly small. So easy to close up with sculpy and a bit of paint, if it really bothers you. He's going to look great in Kamino Rain Battle dioramas. I found the picture over on Scum's forums. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
03-03-2003, 10:34 PM
That looks pretty cool, but am I the only one that's more excited about the Jango Fett? :D :crazed:
The Obi-Wan Kenobi does look cool, I didn't think we would actually get an Obi-Wan wet look version. :)

Beast
03-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Here's a picture of the prototype from the back so we can see the hole. It's not that bad, in my opinion. Should be fairly easy for you folks that don't like it to plug the hole and paint over it. The hole in the palm seems pretty small also, so should be even easier to disguise. The following pictures are from POTF2.com. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Here's a shot from below. You can see the hole in his palm doesn't look any worse then your average magnet. I think it will end up looking pretty good once it's fully painted. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Okay... I just done perusing the pictures of the new deluxe sets since better pictures have been made available. Aside from the "hose" and the slightly off-balance tower, the Obi-Wan Kenobi figure looks really good. I'd have to say that the head sculpt is about the best we've seen for this character thus far.

The Jango Fett, however, is another matter entirely. I don't have too much of a problem with the magnets at his elbows/forearms, but what is the deal with his head?? From what I understand, this is basically Kamino Escape Jango Fett with new forearms. The helmet is glued on over a fully formed head. The helmet is also lacking quite a bit of detail. I didn't notice this until today. The blue is everywhere and there are no varying shades of the blue as there SHOULD be. The two thin black lines encircling the top of the helmet are also missing and a portion of the rangefinder stem is also painted blue! I can't believe how sloppy this one turned out. I mean, why bother if your efforts are going to be half-hearted.

Jayspawn
03-27-2003, 11:30 AM
I think they look cool. If Obi-Wan's 'wet look' bothers me enough I can just head swap. I'm glad they finally made him w/ his robe. Jango looks like a Kamino Jango- which is fine with me because I really like Kamino Jango. The platform pieces are my favorite part. I can't wait to build a scene with the Slave 1.

Jargo
03-27-2003, 02:21 PM
I too think the Jango is poo. Obi turned out looking mighty fine for a one pose figure. Still, at least the hose only goes through the arm so it';ll be easy to fill and fix. The head is the first Ewan McGregor sculpt to come close to being right. pity it's the wet look though. I'll possibly buy this obi because i like most of it apart from the hoiked up sleeve of his cloak and the big adult female toy accessory. The case that Obi can play blow football with is quite nice looking. Why does it come with a test tube? Could they not have made something less obtrusive but still transparent? a heavy base with a rod and a disk at the top to place the thing on. The test tube looks like a plunger from inside some other toy just re-used. it doesn't look right.

Jango is terrible.