PDA

View Full Version : The Sack Randy from Hasbro thread

Jargo
12-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Randy is the guy who adds the gimmicks to our toys:

StarWarsKids.com: What is your name and your role at Hasbro?

My name is Randy and my role at Hasbro is developing the entire line of Hasbro Star Wars toys each year, from initial concept through the toys being shipped to stores.

Padawan Adi-Mia: Is it fun working with Star Wars toys? Do you get to play with the toys as part of your job?

Working on Star Wars toys is a dream come true. The best part of the job is being able to play with the toys and striving to make them even more fun and more realistic each year, like enhancing the basic figures with cool features such as lightsaber battling action, and designing the fully operational R2-D2 droid. That was a total blast!

Padawan Zell_42856: How do you decide the toys' poses?

Figure poses are based on or inspired by action scenes from the movie. We've developed some really cool poses for our figures. For example, Luminara Unduli is shown here in a Jedi fighting stance inspired by the Battle of Geonosis. Another example is Darth Vader, Bespin Duel. In addition to having a lightsaber slashing attack action that allows him to "cut" a walkway into two, he is posed from the battle scene with Luke Skywalker where he reaches his hand out to Luke, trying to lure him to the dark side. For other figures that come with their own vehicles, we design a more conservative pose to ensure they fit into the vehicle. We try to offer a variety of poses that look good in and out of their packages and enhance the way you can play with them.

Hasbro, please sack randy and stop him from getting anywhere near the design stage of the toys. Okay, i hold him personally responsible for ruining countless figures in 2002 with action features and gimmicks. Please Hasbro, grant me a Christmas wish and remove this person from your staff to a far flung outpost deep in the realms of nowhere where he can no longer interfere with and screw up the production of star wars action figures. Thank you.

Lots of love and a happy Christmas and new year

Emperor Jargo :)

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

El Chuxter
12-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Y'know, when I first saw the name of this thread, I was thinking, "This doesn't sound like a 'Dear Hasbro' thread." However, I think there's something to Jargo's idea. This guy doesn't seem to be in touch with reality. First of all, he thinks the gimmicks are "cool." Collectors don't think they're cool, since they add strange buttons to our figures and limit their articulation. Kids think they don't work and therefore aren't cool.

Then, after announcing he's responsible for the gimmicks, he has no qualms about giving his name. The guy obvious has a death wish. He isn't properly balanced to be in such a position of authority.

Bottom line: if you want the line to outlive Episode III, you have to can the gimmicks. Already myself and several other long-time rabid SW fans are far less excited about the Saga line than with Mattel's Masters of the Universe or Toybiz's Marvel Legends. Look at those lines, and learn. That's what we want. Oh, and kids must want it, too. I see far more kids anxiously hunting for "the little funny flying guy from He-Man" or picking up the latest Skeletor resculpt than even glancing at the SW section.

Please, correct these problems before it's too late. :(

LTBasker
12-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Geez..just from that last paragraph he contradicts himself.

For other figures that come with their own vehicles, we design a more conservative pose to ensure they fit into the vehicle. We try to offer a variety of poses that look good in and out of their packages and enhance the way you can play with them.

With the first Saga figure to come with a vehicle being the Speederbike Clone. Not only that, but what Zam, Anakin and Obi go in the speeders? Can't be ones that were released, they must've been one of a kind prototypes that he kept. Heck, poor Typho doesn't even have an AOTC release ship to fly, making him..obsolete. Sure Pilot; Obi, Clone and Jango can go in their ships, but they were released seperately and not even at the same time as their ship counterparts when Pilot Jango should've been a definite pack-in. They certainly made him to the low expectations of a pack-in figure!

stillakid
12-19-2002, 01:43 AM
I just lit my torch and picked up my pickfork. When do we go?:Pirate:

rherk
12-19-2002, 07:14 AM
I don't know this "randy" and I cant say for sure if he is responsible for the crap toys Hasbro has been making. However, if he is I support this thread to get rid of him because damn it Hasbro! You are totally loosing me! I've about had it. Why should I keep this collection going when half the figures I'm getting are so disappointing. Why do you insist on destroying your product? And don't say it's what the kids want because that's a bunch a bull. Look at other toy lines on the shelf today. Many have no need for these action features, silly poses and constipated expressions on their faces.

The bottom line here is I'm totally putting all of this on the line for the Luke Jedi figure and when I say "all This" I mean all the amounts of time, money and energy I spend on collecting Star Wars figures. If Luke jedi isn't the king of all Star Wars toys like he should be I'll focus on another line like the new MOTU or Lord of the Rings or Marvel Legends. Now those are consistantly good toy lines. Whew. that felt good.

Jargo
12-19-2002, 04:05 PM
I'd like to know who the rest of the Hasbro star wars team are. I see names like Andy Espenshade and mark Bordereaux (SP?) and some marketing guy with pop in his name but just who are the designers and sculptors? What exactly do all these people actually do on a daily basis? Who do we really have to blame for the gimmicks and gizmos that riddle the Saga line? I think it's time hasbro did a meet and greet in a virtual way on their website and showed us the team so we can see the faces and learn the names of the people we rant and rail against when things don't go well on a particular product. not in a vindictive way, this isn't a request aimed at starting a hate campaign, I've been wondering about this for a long long time. I would just like to know who's who and what they do.

Banthaholic
12-21-2002, 07:03 PM
Emperor Jargo this has to be one of the funnier threads I've read in some time, awesome!!!
...and for Randy, please rethink the cool action figures. Newsflash, they aren't cool for most fans. Stick the $$$ saved from the action features into better sculpts, and better error catching.

jedihunter25
12-21-2002, 10:41 PM
Hasbro, do us the fans and yourself a favor- FIRE THIS IDIOT RANDY!!!!!

Jon
12-21-2002, 11:14 PM
Well, it if this guy is responsible for the basic line. He is directly responsible for me no longer buying the 3 3/4" figures. I have seen the death of our Star Wars line. I was at Toys R' Us today, a mere 4 shopping days before Christmas and there was a ton of Star Wars toys untouched and even ignored by everyone in the store. I counted 17 different figures I don't have and for the first time in about 7 years it is by choice. And I'm not alone. GI Joe, Transformers, He Man, and countless other toy lines were picked over and only the overproduced leftovers remained. Even Unleashed Padme, Anakin & Tyrannus were sitting there next to the TRU exclusive Landspeeder. There was a time that these would have a shelf life of 10 seconds, now they are collecting dust. YOU have disenfranchised many collectors, Hasbro. Power of the Jedi was real close to perfect, this stuff you are passing now is real close to CRAP. If Randy is responsilbe he needs to go as well as any supervisor or board that agrees with his ideas. It isn't only him I am sure.

eyEdeaD JEDI
12-27-2002, 10:14 PM
even though his gimmicks suck, he's done well with the poses, lets not go back to the dark days of POTF 2 when they all had the same boring pose ---> as if they're standing to attention :D

jjreason
12-27-2002, 11:38 PM
Im finding it a little hard to believe that he "develops the entire line of Star Wars toys" every year. Something tells me he might have a little help with that, being that it might be a big job and all. He's obviously dishonest and boastful, 2 qualities we can't abide in this outfit. DISMISSED!!! :D

bigbarada
01-06-2003, 02:53 PM
For me, the ridiculous poses and action gimmicks were two of the primary reasons I stopped collecting a couple of months back. (I'm currently just hanging out hoping for news of a ROTJ Jabba, Hermi Odle or Yarna figure soon) So this guy is responsible for causing at least one person, who has been collecting since 1978, to abandon the line completely.

The third most irritating factor has to be the constant resculpting of the same figures over and over again. I though the Darth Maul situation was bad for Ep1, Jango Fett has become the most annoyingly resculpted figure in the history of the line. I hate that character now, thanks to Hasbro's tactics.:(

Anyways, things were bleak in 2002 and they look even bleaker for 2003. We had a tiny ray of hope with Ephant Mon, showing that Hasbro can still knock our socks off when they put their minds to it. I hope that, if nothing else, we will see ROTJ Jabba, Hermi or Yarna by this year's end. After those figures are made, the line can go die it's slow painful death for all I care.

Jerjerrod
01-07-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I hope that, if nothing else, we will see ROTJ Jabba, Hermi or Yarna by this year's end. After those figures are made, the line can go die it's slow painful death for all I care.

:D Shhh... let them make your wishlist first.

Then, you start sacking Randy and his very productive and innovative Hasbro staff.:p

bigbarada
01-07-2003, 02:27 PM
I sense the words "productive" and "innovative" to be just dripping with irony, Jerjerrod.;)

JediTricks
01-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Upon reviewing a link for the coverage of the SDCC 2000 Hasbro/Galoob presentation (http://systems.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=12434&domain=sirstevesguide.com&dom=ss&domain_id=5), I ran across this:

ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I give you... RANDY! (http://systems.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=12434&domain=sirstevesguide.com&dom=ss&domain_id=5)

Rogue II
01-19-2003, 08:49 PM
JT, you realize it is not just a matter of time before someone makes a WANTED poster for this guy.:D

Jargo
01-20-2003, 12:48 PM
tempting...... soooooooo tempting........ :evil: I won't say what was going through my mind looking at that picture. let's just say it wasn't that I want to shake his hand and buy the guy a beer. But then again I highly doubt that he'd be thinking that about me either :D Mwahahahahahahaha!!!

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Too late!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2003, 04:49 PM
DANG MAN!!! At least he can change that godawful mullet.:dead:

Jargo
01-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Too late!
True. But still...

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Ah, much better.

You must have spent more than 90 seconds putting that together.;)

I have this mega powerful software (Photoshop 6.0) and I still only use about 10% of it. Someday I will take the time to...

Ooops gotta go.

:Pirate:

Jargo
01-21-2003, 09:35 AM
I'll admit I spent far too long on that. Kind of a perverse joy really at the thought of it posted to every telegraph pole in the seven nearest counties. "get up a posse boys - we're a goin' Randy huntin'! Just look for a guy with a rubber neck and aim for the legs.......!" :evil:

*Emperor Jargo does not condone the use of real guns for sport. Guns are dangerous and should not be treated like toys. If using a gun adult supervision from a trained marksman should be present at all times. However Emperor Jargo does condone sporting crossbows and blowpipes.*

Kidhuman
01-21-2003, 01:43 PM
I too agree that Randy should be canned. The following is from my 5 year old stepson who has an opinion on Randy:

My name is Jacob. These toys suck!!!!. I want to put another adult in his place to make better SW toys.

He really did say this but I had to type it for him. It isn't just us collectors, even a five year old can see his ideas suck. He said it after I gave him a Mace Windu deluxe and the battle droid will not stay together.

Jerjerrod
01-21-2003, 02:07 PM
ROTFLOL!! HAHAHAHAHAHA! :D :D :D

It seems everyone has a hatred with passion for this guy.

I wonder if he walks among us here at SSG as a moisture farmer or padawan or something.

:cry:

Beast
01-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Or perhaps as an Emperor? *Pinkie to Lip*

Mwahahahahaha. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Sidious
01-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Hasbro, I have been collecting since 1995, and let me tell you, I have been seriously losing interest in your so-called line. I am now mainly collecting Lord of the Rings figures, and only plan on getting Ephant Mon and maybe a few others. After that, well, I'm through...Unless you sack Randy, that is. He is wasting money on gimmicks that could be-no, should be used on detail. Perhaps you would like to take a good look at how great your competition is, Hasbro. And that is exactly what the following attachment is for. This attachment shows a figure with great detail, articulation, and only one gimmick that actually WORKS and doesn't interfere with the figure at all. You fear to look at it, don't you Hasbro? Because it (as do all other figures of this quality) spells doom for your Saga line.

joe-da
01-26-2003, 11:33 PM
It seems like it's time for some new blood at Hasbro, and therapy for Randy.

Jargo
01-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Hehehehe, at the UK TOYFAIR Hasbro had a puny stand and were hurrying people through. I reckon they thought they might get lynched too. Now Hasbro aren't going to NYC TOYFAIR and instead they're holding a private showing of product. Buyers only. And I thought they said no TOYFAIR because of high cost. Well, forgive my math but a private show would be less expensive than a stand at a big show would it? Hiring a hall just for your own product is cost effective then? OOOH my math must be off the wall because that doesn't add up somehow. :stupid:
I think we all know that Hasbro aren't going to show to the public because there are too many awkward cusses like me around. Too many awkward questions they don't want to have to answer. Why torture themselves with a public lynching when they can hide away in a locked hall with a few folk who aren't going to ask sticky questions.
It transpires that Hasbro UK showed just transformers and G.I. JOE mostly and there was a pitiful showing for star wars with just three or four figures and a couple of the smaller vehicles on show. Is hasbro tiring of star wars, probably.

Lord Malakite
01-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Is it just me, or does Randy look like he has been doing drugs his entire life? :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-27-2003, 12:27 PM
He looks like the big eared guy on Conan who gives out the Preparation H.

Adam
01-27-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm holding Randy personably responsible Obi-Wan Acklay Battle. Oh. My. God. That figure reeks. And not in a sniffing mouse droids way.

You better not screw up Jedi Knight Luke!!!!!

12inch Lando
02-02-2003, 02:34 PM
I agree.

Dear Randy,
Please take your ultimate ninja action figure powers and "help" another line. Just think of the wonderous things you could do for "Holly Hobbie" or "Rainbow Bright" Your kick *** talents are being wasted here.

Jaff
02-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Wow!!! It's amusing how much we (myself included) seem to dislike (understatement) what this guy is doing. The saga line is horrid, but I would like to point out one thing. There are a few folks on this thread who defend how nice the saga line is on other threads like Saga=Junk, and New Assortments, new disappointments in the Saga forums. We have traitors in our mists acting as if their jr. palpatines. Pick a side and stay there

Jargo
02-04-2003, 01:07 PM
It's funny that this thread has run to three pages already. Thing is Randy isn't necessarily the person we want. He was just the one who opened his mush as spokesman for the company and set himself up for it. :D I think it's fair to say that it has to be more than person who's responsible for making the decisions so we should have gang wanted poster.

Holly Hobbie, now there's a thought 12inchLando. I was thinking earlier today of mocking up a super ginmmickised Mr. Potato head to show hasbro where they should shove the gimmicks in future if they want to get creative on a long running line. That thing hasn't changed in god knows how many years and really REALLY should be taking up these creative urges at hasbro design HQ to bring that particular joy of joys into the 21st century rather than wasting precious resources and time and money on botching up the stuff that really would sell. Imaging how much fun a transforming potato would be or a gun toting potato or a ninja kick potato or a magnetic attraction potato....... :rolleyes: :D

Darth Cruel
02-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Into the Sarlaac pit with him anyway! And send ALL of his dumb Hasbro buddies with him!