PDA

View Full Version : Sandcrawler Cancelled!

kadamontaga
12-18-2002, 03:40 PM
From The Private Universe http://books.dreambook.com/tpu/probenews.html
"An official source has passed onto me some disppointing news...

The Sandcrawler vehicle, due for release in April/May '03, has been cancelled! It is unclear if this cancel is permenent or just till '04, the latter is considered more likely at this point.

You heard it here first. We'll be sure to keep you updated as and when we hear more."

BoShek
12-18-2002, 07:29 PM
:cry:

Darth Sidious
12-18-2002, 07:33 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

...That's sick! :mad: Magus hates it too!

QLD
12-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Magus!

Darth Sidious
12-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Hahaha, kickarse avatar QLD. :evil: The new (Magus) quote in my signature is directed towards the people who decided to cancel the Sandcrawler!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
12-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Not cool. Not cool at all!:frus:

InsaneJediGirl
12-18-2002, 08:29 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The ONE thing nearly every SW fan was looking foward to and poof..its gone..all gone.Where is Randy(from Hasbro),its probably his falut.

Fulit
12-18-2002, 08:42 PM
That sucks, but with the slew of stuff coming out next year, it will help my wallet. Still, couldn't they have cancelled or moved something else to next year?:confused:

mrmiller
12-18-2002, 08:55 PM
Hopefully it's not truely cancelled, just postponed. They've already made the prototype. Maybe they will release it around the hype for EP3? Here's hoping.

=MATT=

Jargo
12-18-2002, 09:15 PM
I think this is one of those vehicles like the cloud car that's destined to live in mythology for most of us. We'll have to get by on fuzzy pictures of the original vintage one and tales of how good it is and how cool the cloud car pilot was. Actually he was, I had one but no cloud car. My local one and only toy store closed down just as the star wars range was getting good. Damn you Toy and Hobby!

Why couldn't they shelve something else for the sandcrawler like those dumb deluxe sets? Save some money by not putting gimmicks into figures and have the cash to put a sandcrawler out to general release. Sack Randy, it's all his fault.

LTBasker
12-18-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ditto...

Cancel the Unleashed line and release this, it's more worth it! ;)

Banthaholic
12-18-2002, 11:42 PM
After checking the calendar a few times it's not April 1st, so Hasbro Why???

stillakid
12-19-2002, 01:35 AM
Gee whiz, I wonder where I've heard this song before...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16297&highlight=investment

JON9000
12-19-2002, 02:28 PM
I'm not too disappointed. I thought the test model stunk. I hope they will come out with a sandcrawler eventually that is AT AT sized. I have little use for a sandcrawler that is 10 inches tall.

Rogue II
12-19-2002, 02:33 PM
I doubt Hasbro would ever come out with an AT-AT sized sandcrawler. It would be very cool to have one, but I just don't think Hasbro would make anything that big. It would cost way too much.

JON9000
12-19-2002, 03:52 PM
But I don't see why it would have to cost any more than the AT-AT, or God forbid, the The Imperial Credit Sucking Shuttle.:greedy:

Jedi Master Silas
12-19-2002, 06:19 PM
That sucks major buttock. It figures.... go cancel something everyone actually wants and would sell like hotcakes. Sheeezzzz what a teaser.

Jedi Law Student
12-19-2002, 06:37 PM
Sandcrawler cancelled? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! The Ents are going to war!

But, you know, I'll bet we'll see it eventually. I mean, look at 12" Zuckuss. He was put on hold for a long time, but the other day when I went to Wal-Mart, what did I see on the shelf? My favorite Gand bounty hunter.

So come on Hasbro, give us the Sandcrawler, the sooner the better. As another forumite said awhile back, "If you want my $$$, you know what you have to do!" :greedy:

Old Fossil
12-20-2002, 12:44 AM
THAT'S IT!!! I've had it! No more Star Wars toys for me!

At least, not until after I get the Sandtrooper Troop Builder.

And the new Tusken Raider w/Removable Head.

And the new Jedi Luke Skywalker.

And the green A-Wing.

And... let me check my want list here...

But that's IT, almost! I swear!!!:crazed:

jedihunter25
12-20-2002, 01:01 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Knowing Hasbro, they might have canceled it because it's not a re-re-remake so it confused them. I've been waiting for the Sandcrawler for almost 7 years now. What a tease.

jjreason
12-20-2002, 02:58 AM
I think everyone on sites like this wanted a sandcrawler. However, a few thousand of us yelping is quite a low price to pay when compared to literally thousands of these on sale at Target for 11.88 after they warm the pegs for a few months. The key to something like this is to release it in small doses for quite a long time so it remains sought after and "hot"....I think sales would have been acceptable on this. Quite a shame we're not getting it.

mark2d2
12-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Well, I'm beyond depressed. So much so I may have to take a break from Star Wars. All the new figs are ships coming out are totally lame.

PS --- I think WAYYYYYYYY more people would have bought this than the stupid new geonosis attack vehicles that are coming down the pipe line.....

Old Fossil
12-20-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Well, I'm beyond depressed. So much so I may have to take a break from Star Wars. All the new figs are ships coming out are totally lame.

PS --- I think WAYYYYYYYY more people would have bought this than the stupid new geonosis attack vehicles that are coming down the pipe line.....

I hear you. The Geonosis vehicles will probably end up shelfwarming in many stores, though there are many on the Forums here who are really looking forward to them.

You know, just as sure as you 'take a break from Star Wars,' they'll release something that's totally awesome. [See my short list above!] You could take some time to army-build, or use the money saved from the non-Sandcrawler to pick up something you missed out on before, like an elusive Target exclusive.

Rogue II
12-20-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
I hear you. The Geonosis vehicles will probably end up shelfwarming in many stores, though there are many on the Forums here who are really looking forward to them.

You know, just as sure as you 'take a break from Star Wars,' they'll release something that's totally awesome. [See my short list above!] You could take some time to army-build, or use the money saved from the non-Sandcrawler to pick up something you missed out on before, like an elusive Target exclusive.

I did something like that this year. I don't collect any prequel figures, and there were not many classic trilogy figures released after April. I ended up picking up some figures I didn't have off of E-Bay(Frito-Lay Obi Wan, Imperial Scan Trooper, Jedi Showdown Cinema Scene, and others) and Yestertoys(Admiral Motti). I also started customizing.

I managed to build a nice little army of Rebel Endor Troopers (each one different, 6 total), a bunch of new droids, Sandtroopers, Tusken Raiders, and a custom Bespin Guard.

I hope they eventually release the Sandcrawler. I was really looking forward to it, even if it was just a re-make of the vintage version.

fourtwo
12-20-2002, 11:18 AM
it looked small anyways, and the droid was hokey, i doubt i would have gotten it, the scale just seemed wrong....
oh well. still lame for the people who wanted one.
:stupid:

Lman316
12-20-2002, 12:06 PM
I don't know if I'm really that upset about this one. I probably would have purchased it because I've heard so many people say how cool the vintage one was, but to me it looked too small, and I believe the term "hokey" was used to describe it.
Someone else in here mentioned making a bigger one - I'm for that. I'd rather have something slightly more accurate, even if price goes up with it. Much more could be done with it if they increased the size, right? It could be used as a vehicle/playset. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone in our forums have that idea? You open it up and either have some kind of droid factory or droid storage on the inside? That sounded like a very good idea and it could actually be done. Two vintage birds with one stone.
So, I won't lose any sleep over this one, but I do understand why it would (I'm being polite here) "irk" some of you. Hasbro, it seems, just doesn't know how to do business most of the time - like with our Shuttle. That one still fries me...

End.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-20-2002, 09:32 PM
This is a bummer, but I don't even ermember the pics of the prototype, but i do recall it was really tiny. They'll make it eventually. They want to make money, they'll do it. :D

Beast
12-20-2002, 10:05 PM
Things have been cancelled in the past, only to appear later. So I'm not in a huge panic, and I'm not going to fault Hasbro for it. Maybe Wal-Mart didn't want to take it at this time, maybe it was just really pushed back from May to later in the year. Atleast it's not somthing we've been teased with and had taken away from us every year. Like the Cloud Car that has been offered to Target 3-4 years in a row and passed on every time. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JangoFart
12-21-2002, 12:25 AM
I'm disappointed. However, I'm not getting all teary-eyed until I hear something more official. Not that the track record of the reporter is bad (it's quite good), however, I'm not stressing just yet.

J