PDA

View Full Version : How Old Before Your Kids Can Play With Them?

Dar Basra
12-18-2002, 06:08 PM
I'm just curious, for all you parents out there, how old were your children (or will they be) before you let them play with the 3 3/4 figures? Two issues, really - (1) are they old enough that they won't rip the heads and arms off the first day, and (2) are they old enough that they won't swallow the accessories.

For me, I don't know yet. My son is still a little too young (2.5 years old), though I bought the Playschool versions and am going to see how he does with them.

sith_killer_99
12-18-2002, 07:03 PM
I was about 4-5 when my parents started buying me Star Wars toys.:D

That would have been 1978-79.;)

Jedi Master Silas
12-18-2002, 07:09 PM
My son started playing with them when he was 2 and a half with my husband. We didnt give him the guns because I was afraid he might choke on them. He did chew on the end of a lightsaber one time when my hubby wasnt watching. I think if they are supervised its ok at a young age but I would have never let my lil' one play with them without one of us there joining in the fun :)

Fulit
12-18-2002, 07:47 PM
I gave my son the action figures without the lightsabers and guns when he was about 2.5. Now, he's old enough not to swallow them, but not old enough to refrain from losing them and dropping them down air ducts. All the battle droids have no heads.

Rogue II
12-18-2002, 08:17 PM
My daughter is 1 and she loves playing with them. Her favorite is pushing the button on the Saga R2-D2's chest. She goes through the box of figures, picks each one up, looks at it, and then moves onto the next figure.

She also finds the Flashback R2 and R5-D5's launching capabilities hilarious. She doesn't get to play with those when I'm not around.

stillakid
12-19-2002, 02:39 AM
I let my son start playing with the figures (no guns or accessories) when he was about 3 or 4.

Now my daughter (now 4, he's now 7) likes to play a little with them but she tends to prefer the Playskool versions now that they exist. After a little while though, she puts those down and starts playing with the Amidala dress up dolls instead. Girls :rolleyes:

;)

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-19-2002, 04:30 AM
Play with them??
They're not toys you know ;)

Jargo
12-19-2002, 02:15 PM
I'd go with the hasbro reccomendation of 4 and upwards. Any younger and i'd be taking all the accessories away from small mouths and noses and ears. Just large accessories allowed. But preferrably I'd get under fours the playskool stuff until their dexterity improved and I could guarantee that nothing was going into mouths etc. Unless something was chunky jointed I wouldn't give under fours a jointed toy. But that's my personal views only. Not telling anyone how to run their lives.

Casual George
12-19-2002, 05:20 PM
My kids were all around 4 yrs. old when I started buying them their own figures to play with. I do think it is a good idea to remove the accessories (weapons, blast effects, etc.) due to the choking hazard.

OC47150
12-30-2002, 04:06 PM
I bought the Playskool stuff for my niece; she's four. I gave her the Falcon playset for Christmas, and we played with it for hours the other day! She's seen all five movies and Empire is her favorite!

fourtwo
12-31-2002, 02:21 PM
my kids will get there own.
not that i'm having any kids in the near future.
:D

Turbowars
01-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Thats great you have kids guys. I'm 27 and being to much of a kid myself, I don't think my wife and I will have children anytime soon.

OzOtter
01-01-2003, 05:17 PM
I'll be dead in my grave before any kid of mine touches my collection! ;)

WesleySr
01-07-2003, 10:07 PM
My son will be three at the end of this month and that is something I never thought about until reading this thread. Maybe he is old enough to start playing with the figures (without any accessories). I think I will have to give it a try.

Kidhuman
01-08-2003, 03:45 AM
I was four when I got my first figures(Ben Kenobi, Chewbacca, Greedo, and Luke X-wing) way back in 1977 or 1978. I gave my step-son a few figures and he never ate the weapons, however he did chew up the feet and hands and lost Jango Fetts head, the removeable one.:crazed:

aceguide
01-08-2003, 02:22 PM
4 is a good age. I'm still careful with smaller accessories. Loosing heads and limbs is part of the fun - though painful to watch...

carnifexold1eye
01-10-2003, 01:52 PM
We dont need kids, we have me instead...:D :D