PDA

View Full Version : Review the Two Towers here!

JON9000
12-18-2002, 06:11 PM
SPOILERS Well, the wait was long and I have now seen the movie. I liked it. The Gollum effects were outstanding. I was a little worried that he would be a bit overdone but I found him quite convincing. The Treebeard effects took a little getting used to. I swear when he opened his eyes my first thought was of the apple trees in the Wizard of Oz. But I never thought they would be able to pull Ents off decently and they actually did well enough. Its been awhile since I read the books, but doesn't Gandalf break Saruman's staff in this one? I was sort of looking forward to that confrontation and it never materialized. Oh well. It gives me something else to look forward to next year. I also got a kick out of the beginning of the movie where Gandalf took down the Balrog. that was probably my favorite bit. On the whole, I suppose I liked FOTR more, simply from the kick I got from seeing middle earth onscreen for the first time. TTT is certainly strong in its own right however, and I will be checking it out again soon.

derek
12-18-2002, 06:32 PM
i liked it, but was expecting a lot more. i guess i was expecting so much, just like with episode 2, that i was bound to be disapointed a little.

i thought there was supposed to be a cliffhanger type ending. i'd heard about "samwise the brave" and was expecting frodo would be taken hostage and sam would try to save him or something.

i thought it was wierd that gandalf the white didn't know he was gandalf the grey. and the fact that the fellowship was split into three different stories kind of made it hard to get attached to any character, other than gollum, who i really liked a lot. i had no idea he was a split personality.:crazed:

i thought it ended too soon. apparently, gollum is leading sam and frodo into a trap of some kind, as he was referring to having some female kill them so he could get the ring. i think it should of ended with sam and frodo in some kind of trouble.

if i had to choose between "fellowship" and "two towers", i think "fellowship" was a lot better, otherwise i can't wait to see how this story ends next december.:)

jjreason
12-18-2002, 11:49 PM
First of all, I loved the movie. I was so happy with the "character" scenes, especially the evercool Viggo Mortensen. Another spot on take as Aragorn. I loved how Elijah Wood is looking more haggared as his time with the ring passes, less childlike, cheeks sunken, eyes wide, etc. He's doing great work. Hugo Weaving, Orlando Bloom, again spot on. Many props to the blond elf from Lothlorien (can't remember name) who was perfect as well. I loved the confrontation with the Ents, the book leaves that to the imagination for the most part (from what I remember, it's been over a year now since I last read TTT). The fight between Gandalf and the Balrog was pure movie magic. Worth the price of admission right there, and then some.

Now, was there anything I didn't like? Yes. I feel bad griping about this wonderful movie, but I didn't like Gollum until his split personality scene. I thought the CG model was less realistic than Yoda, and didn't interact very well with the environment. Treebeard's "closeups" didn't look too great to me either, I don't know what I was expecting, but the mouth and eyes appeared too mechanical or something.

ALl in all, The Two Towers goes a long way to show what a difference taking care with the dialogue makes, and how important those character development scenes are to a movie of this genre. I wouldn't give a rat's butt about who wins or loses at Helm's Deep if I didn't care about Theoden's concern for his people, or feel the fear so accurately etched on the faces of the babies of Rohan.

Great movie, Ill be there again soon as well. Fantastic.

Boba Rhett
12-19-2002, 12:46 AM
Expected a lot more, derek? I don't think I could have handled more! :D

Wolfwood319
12-19-2002, 02:37 AM
SPOILERS

Well, I loved Two Towers, but I refer to it now as One and a Half Towers, because they really only did like the first 3/4 of books 3 and 4. I too was expecting the Gandalf/Sauruman confrontation in Orthanc, as well as more of the aftermath of the battle of Helm's Deep.

I knew for a long while now that the Shelob sequence was being pushed back into ROTK, so that wasn't a disappointment.

The thing that worries me is time. This movie was 3 hours long, and they only included about the first 3/4 of the books, and ROTK is the longest of any of the books, and a lot happens as well. Considering that New Line wants every movie under 3 hours, how are they going to fit the last 1/4 of Two Towers and all of ROTK into one 3 hour movie?

I also didn't like the Faramir scenes changed. I don't think they needed to go to Gondor, as they could've done the same scene at the Waterfall, a la the book. I also thought that the Gondor scene really took away from the Rohan scenes.

The cgi of Gollum I thought was great, especially the close ups. It really looked quite incredible. The Treebeard cgi wasn't as good, but still better than anything in AOTC. The greatest cgi accomplishment I thought was the warg rider battle. I thought that was pulled off seemlessly.

My only question is, when can we get the extended edition DVD to see the rest of the movie?

Boba Rhett
12-19-2002, 03:19 AM
My guess is in about eleven months. :( Sucks, doesn't it? ;) We'll get to see a lot more intense battle scenes in the extened version. Heads and limbs will be flying everywhere. :D

robman71
12-19-2002, 09:54 AM
All in all I thought that this was a good movie, but not great. Like others that had posted I was really looking forward to the Gandalf-Saruman confrontation at the end. I was also disappointed with the portrayal of Theoden. He seemed way too much of a whiner for a king. The battle of Helm's Deep was incredibly done and I cannot wait to see the Siege of Minas Tirith next year. The characterization of Faramir was also a let down, not until the end when he saved Frodo and let them continue their journey, did we get a good glimpse of the nobility of Faramir. Gollum was well done, and I was really feeling sorry for him especially during his split personality arguments. I am looking forward to the ROTK to see how this saga will end.

EricRG
12-19-2002, 11:18 AM
ROTK is the SHORTEST of the books. Much of the actual pages of the volume are appendices.

I'm glad to see so many positive reviews. I have promised not to see it until X-mas day. CAN'T WAIT!

Darth Cruel
12-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Wow! I am disappointed that some of you were disappointed. I loved the movie even more than FOTR. I nearly bawled when Haldir was killed.

I am already impatient with anticipation of the extended version DVD (if there is to be one).

QLD
12-19-2002, 08:50 PM
I loved it.

Everything rocked, and everything rolled.

I have nothing original to say about it, except that I now believe that the LOTR movies will easily become my favorite movie series now. Especially with the lackluster prequels that have watered down my love of SW.

But the LOTR films have been nothing short of spectaculat and breathtaking. And my fiance' even likes them!

Wolfwood319
12-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by EricRG
ROTK is the SHORTEST of the books. Much of the actual pages of the volume are appendices.

You are correct sir, the actual book of ROTK is the shortest. I count my copy at 357 ps, FOTR at 472, TT at 415. I stand corrected.

BUT, PJ has sated that he plans on adding parts of the Appendices, as well as he now has to add parts of TT as well. There is still a lot to cover though...

JesusFreak
12-19-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
You are correct sir, the actual book of ROTK is the shortest. I count my copy at 357 ps, FOTR at 472, TT at 415. I stand corrected.

BUT, PJ has sated that he plans on adding parts of the Appendices, as well as he now has to add parts of TT as well. There is still a lot to cover though...

But remember, no Scouring of the Shire....

Anyways, the movie was great. Movie of the year. What else can I say? :D

Mandalorian Candidat
12-20-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by JesusFreak
But remember, no Scouring of the Shire....

Anyways, the movie was great. Movie of the year. What else can I say? :D

...and if there's no Scouring of the Shire then where will the actual ending take place? Mt. Doom? Minas Tirith? Bag End? Greyhavens? A mob at Peter Jackson's door?

At least we only have a year to wait as opposed to 2.5 for EP3.

EricRG
12-20-2002, 01:24 AM
I'm betting ROTK will end with the departure of the Elves, Gandalf and Frodo to the Havens. PJ might simply "skip" the whole Scouring.

JON9000
12-20-2002, 01:40 AM
Considering so much of TT was left for the final film, I expect the length of ROTK minus the scouring won't really matter much. But I hate that we will never see the Shire being overrun by the baddies. But if they tried to do it, it would be a heckuva long epilogue to the story. It works in the book, but I am a firm believer that a movie should not play too far long after its climax, see Minority Report.

derek
12-20-2002, 08:10 AM
I'm betting ROTK will end with the departure of the Elves

OK, i'm going to buy the book this weekend, but with that said, i've wondered where the elves are going. in the expanded "fellowship" DVD, sam and frodo saw them leaving, and elrond and the rivendale elves are leaving, but where are they going?

and i thought elves were immortal? but i saw some die in the two towers. do they re-generate, or do they just live thousands of years until they are killed?:)

mabudonicus
12-20-2002, 10:35 AM
Yeah. it's like a potential immortality, basically, they CAN be killed, they just basically don't die effectively forever, or at least that's what the jist I got was....
I liked it (TT) but I can't say it was as good as fellowship.
My fave bit was that WACKY "mounting" Legolas did, where he went under and over the horse rather than just jump on like anyone else would have, still can't get over that bit.
The ents were kinda crummy UNTIL they started freaking out, that part was so well done it almost hurt.
I actually didn't like the way gollum was done either, it just didn't sit right, maybe if he was a bit scalier and greyer it would have been better for me...
No "your staff is broken", either, I was really looking forward to that.
Overall, I concur, it was really good, but not perfect...
The fighting was profuse and I was sitting in the extreme front corner of the theatre, maybe after seeing it from a better angle my views will change...
Nobody let my comments stop them from seeing the film, though, please, it really is pretty awesome

EricRG
12-20-2002, 11:50 AM
The elves leaving Middle Earth...

Derek, this is something you definitely want to get the books and read about. It's actually an essential part of the entire story of Middle Earth. It's the reason the ending of the whole story will actually come to be "bittersweet". It will be a challenge for PJ to render this on screen.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-20-2002, 09:34 PM
I saw TTT this morning and was really pleased despite some of the shortcomings I was and wasn't expecting.

The battle at Helm's Deep was, IMO, way better than the EP2 arena fight and probably the best of its cinematic kind outside of the D-Day landing of Private Ryan. I didn't really like the Elvish alliance because it wasn't in the book and seemed to be a big too-doo in the movie, but I suppose it wasn't that bad.

Gollum was fantastic and was really well done. I was expecting something totally unbelievable and less human-like in appearance. Sure, it was obvious he was CG'd but after a little while I didn't notice.

The Legolas horse-jump was fantastic. My props to the animator of that sequence. ILM animators could take some lessons in how to animate Anakin properly from Weta & Co.

The Ents were good, though I was disappointed that they weren't more prominent, as well as Merry and Pip. I swear there was about a stretch of an hour where they weren't on screen.

My biggest gripes were the poor segues between scenes, the non-cliffhangar ending (though it turned out better than I expected), and Faramir. I thought he was a little punk; not at all like the book. I hated them going off to Osgiliath instead of Minas Morgul.

Was it better than FOTR? I'm having a hard time making up my mind. Both are great movies and do have different facets to the messages they are trying to get out I suppose. I'm glad Peter Jackson got ahold of the rights to make the movies. He did an awesome job with what he was given. I know we all have our gripes about what wasn't done and the various alterations to the book, but we don't know the full story behind what it took to get the story written and the stuff filmed.

I hope he actually gets the Oscar this year.

187-Maul
12-21-2002, 06:43 PM
I saw the movie this evening and I love it
now I'm not that big of a LOTR fan but the movie was way better than AOTC IMO, and definitly is the movie of the year
I haven't read the books so of course the whole movie was "new" to me, as I didn't now the plot and everything
now I can't wait for ROTK to come out:)
lucas could really learn from some animations, everything looked so real, you could hardly notice that Gollum was inserted into the movie
overall, I think I liked it more than FOTR, but I will have to see it again to be sure

2-1B
12-22-2002, 02:37 AM
I hate Gollum.
I didn't like the few moments he had in FOTR, so his presence in TTT was downright painful.
He was animated quite well, no arguments there.
I just hate the character and wished Mr. Frodo would listen to Sam's advice to kill him.

I don't like the Hobbits in either movie, save for Pippin in some scenes. Elijah Wood's eyes are way too spooky. While I like Sean Astin, he's just wrong for this role. I probably like Merry the least, they all just annoy me . . . they come off as too feminine.

I thought Gimli was a joke, his crack in FOTR about dwarf tossing was great, but it felt run into the ground this time with the "Toss me" and especially the bit about not seeing over the ledge. Hahaha, he's short and stout so he can't run. :rolleyes:

For me there's plenty to dislike about these flicks, but overall I do like them. A LOT.
Aragorn, Legolas, Gandalf, Saruman, Treebeard, Boromir, Arwen, and the woman from Rohan whose name escapes me are all so incredibly fun that I think both movies are fantastic. :)

jpak001
12-22-2002, 03:20 PM
I saw it last night and all I can say is .....WOW!

It really is a FANTASTIC movie. It completely takes you to another world (for 3 hours anyways). I really just enjoyed it, the whole thing. Pretty much every aspect of the film was extremely well done. Gollum & the ENTS = Awesome.

I mean really, no other fantasy movie has EVER been done as well IMO (look at the opening scene alone w/Gandalf & Balrog = just beautiful).

The ONLY two things I had trouble with were:

1) the scene where Legolas rides the Uruk-Hai sheild down the stairs in Helms Deep. I know everyone else seemed to love this, but it seemed a little too X-gameish to me.

2) The ressurection of Gandalf. It was a little unclear to me. Mabye it was just me being tired or something, I dont know. I plan on seeing it again so mabye this'll clear up for me.

These were minor gripes though, and did not make me enjoy this movie any less than I could have. I give it two HUGE thumbs up!

As it was said in a earlier post in this thread, LOTR may take over as my favorite all time movie(s). Depending on how good The Return of The King is going to be (awesome I'm sure).

mrmiller
12-23-2002, 08:57 AM
I saw it this weekend, and I did like it. But I did not think it was as good as FOTR. TTT actually felt like it was 3 hours long. The first half of the movie seemed like it took forever. Then the battle at Helms Deep was so long, by the end I was exhausted and just wanted them to get on with it. When you hear about cut's being made in a movie for the sake of "pacing", that's what I felt was needed. It is a tough movie to make and try to stay with the books but present in a theatrical format. I really did like it, but not near as much as FOTR. Then again maybe I was tired, but I found myself getting bored during the movie, even at the end battle. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing.

=MATT=

Eternal Padawan
12-23-2002, 10:38 AM
yeah, the pacing kinda bugged me, too. Especially that whole flashback thing with Elrond, and Arwen and Aragorn that just. ground. the.

whole.

movie.

to.

a.

halt.

I was checking my watch every thirty seconds.

Gollum rocked. I loved the CG and his character was the most affectatious this time around. I cared more about him more than anyone in the Fellowship. Tragic little fellow.

Turning Gimli into the comic relief annoyed me. It was subtle in the last one. In this one he's become Jar Jar Binks. :p

Changing the book threw me off a little and initially I didn't like it. I'll have to go back and watch it again to see if that aftertaste goes away. Aragorn's little subadventure, and Frodo and Sam's unexpected journey to Minas Tirith. I wasn't sure if I had read the right book last year. :rolleyes: i was also looking forward to the confrontation with Saruman, the (partial) reunion of the Fellowship, and the ring being entrusted to Samwise. THAT would have been a cliffhanger ending. Frodo dead, and Sam on his own in Mordor? Cool.

As for ROTK, I think the focus of the Trilogy is the evil of Sauron and after the fate of the ring is decided, I think PJ will have to wrap the movie up pretty quickly. I can't see him showing the long trudge back to the Shire after the climax of the film is reached. I think a wedding may be in order and possibly some flash forwards to show where everyone is fifty years from now. But the movie is definitely in the first six chapters of the third book.

scruffziller
12-23-2002, 11:33 AM
It is too bad that the CGI quality in this was not applied to EPS 1 and 2. It was phenomenal!! It was a great movie. I think this is the first movie that I have seen that really showed how the spirit of how slim odds can be achieved through extreme cunning and perseverance. My brother who had never new anything about the stories until the movies came out said he was falling asleep for a short time every 20 minutes. He said half of it was good and half of it was bad.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-23-2002, 04:12 PM
I know a lot of people are kind of miffed at the comic relief of Gimli, but I actually found it to be refreshing. We didn't have much of Pippin to dork around and laugh at (plus he kind of matures and uses some cunning to get the Ents involved in the war), so naturally there had to be some other outlet of comic relief that has to break up some of the intensity. Perhaps some of the lines were gratuitous and corny, i.e., the too-short-to-see-over-the-wall-so-gimme-a-box-to-stand-on bit, but I actually thought they were great. Especially the "Toss me, but don't tell the Elf" dialogue with Aragorn. (Don't you roll your eyes at me, Caesar! :p )

Eternal Padawan
12-25-2002, 03:44 AM
:rolleyes: ( I'm not Caesar.: ))

It's not that they are using Gimli for comic effect, it's the fact that that's ALL they are using him for. I don't care for him as a one dimensional punchline of a dim-witted bloodthistly blowhard. Tolkein's rich characterization deserves more credit than that.

And let me also say even though I am nitpicking, these are minor quibbles I have with an outstanding film. I really, really, really, really..............(487 more pages).......really, really , really liked it.

But back to the quibbling. Trrebeard didn't annoy me, but everytime they showed him walking with M&P on his shoulders, he didn't quite mesh in with the background. It proved distracting.

Reusing footage from the first film was mildly irksome. Some recycled footage includes Gandalf's fall in Moria, Saruman breeding the uruk-hai army, and the village being attacked (seen in Frodo's vision in the pool at Lothlorien. PJ could have at least used different angles of the same scenes.

Since they flashedback to Arwen and Aragorn in this one, are they going to flashback in ROTK and show him reforging the Shards of Narsil into Elendril before they even left Rivendell and it turns out he's been lugging the darn thing around this whole time? (One sword looks like any other onscreen.)

I'm glad Arwen didn't show up at Helm's Deep. I kept reading reports that she was fighting along side the heroes in the battle and that was an unsettling deviation from the books. I guess they were talking about the flashbacks and seeing the rest of the Elvish contingent show up and they confused the two into one. My recollection is a little fuzzy, did the elves show up in the book?

mabudonicus
12-25-2002, 10:18 AM
Not from what I recall , man.... the elves were busy loading up for the grey havens, they join the fight a bit later in the books....

I admit, the most astute observation to sum it up so far was mmiller's, "it actually felt like it was 3 hours long"- FOTR still seems pretty brief, byt the end of TT I was totally waiting to get out of there......
That flashback, which turns into a sideways flash WAY forward, showing aragorn lying in state, then turning into a stone coffin on a bier.... I was SO confused by that scene, same as the expanded flash back to the creation of the uruk-hai, it seemed as if the BIG orc (ugluk??) killed at the end of FOTR was sorta re-instated through that flashback... why didn't Jackson just flash right to the end of ROTK and save all of the confusion???

I am glad to hear Caesar echoing my own feelings on Gollum, too, for some reason I really didn't like him at all , the same way, I mean, he DID look REAL good, but the way he was presented was just all wrong to me somehow......

I'm gonna see it again on sunday, we'll see what a better angle will do for it, I'm worried it'll seem 2x as long...

Anyone else have any 2nd viewing comments??

derek
12-26-2002, 07:22 PM
i've seen it three times now, and just like with FOTR, i like it more with each viewing. i still wish the film had ended with a cliffhanger, instead of sam and fordo following gollum. at least now, i know what "she" is. ROTK should have an exciting opening.:)

JediDan
12-29-2002, 05:27 PM
This movie is equally as great as FOTR. You can really tell the films were all made together at one time. TTT has the same feel to it as FOTR, but with MUCH more action. I didn't think the music would be able to compare with the first film but Howard Shore blew me away with yet another powerful score. Evenstar and Fourth Eorlings are my 2 new fav songs. Gollum looked SO real, the Ents looked so real, man I wish Middle Earth was for real, this movie really made me feel I was there.

I love how triumpant it feels when good overcomes evil in these movies, at times it even brings a tear to my eye. The end when Gandalf was charging down the mountain side was definately one of those moments. Oh and when the water washed away all the evil at Isengard, another moment. No movie has ever got me this involved emotionally as has the LOTR films. The cheering. the tearing, and the funny bits from Gimli all help in the making of my favorite movies ever. I'm already impatiently waiting for the DVD release. :D :D Probably only 8 more months to go. :( :(

InsaneJediGirl
12-30-2002, 02:35 PM
I thought TTT was great,but like most of you I had a few problems with it.

-Aragorn and Arewn-PJ could have left those scenes out.Interrupting climatic scenes for THAT?!Well,at least it is something I can always skip over when the DVD comes out:D

-Treebeard-Not bad,Merry and Pippin often didnt blend in with the surroundings,not making it believeable as I would have liked.

-Gollum-One of my favorite LOTR characters since reading "The Hobbit".However,I think they made him too nice looking.Maybe they should have stuck with something like the LOTR Cartoon.

What else?Legolas using the shield to slide down was a bit X-Gamey(Is that the word I'm searching for?),but nothing badOh,also the ending wasnt like the book-it would have been much better in my opinion if it was:D.In conclusion,I liked it,my little brother loved it(I'm suprised he lasted that long) and I cant wait for the DVD.:)

bigbarada
01-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Okay, I have seen the film four times already and it truly does get more amazing with each veiwing. I really do love this film and I don't have anything bad to say about it at all. The pacing was perfect, it was the shortest three hour movie I have ever seen. When the credits rolled, I didn't want it to end, I was fully prepared to sit through the next three hours of ROTK (or 3 1/2 hours, if Peter Jackson has his way). I truly believe this saga is turning out to be the single greatest achievement in the entire history of moviemaking.

The highlights: Gollum, quite simply the most amazing CG creature I have ever seen on film (not perfect, but the best to date). Technical matters aside though, I believe this to be the quintessential Gollum that any future LOTR effort must live up to. I was raised on the somewhat amphibious Rankin-Bass Gollum from the TV cartoons, thus for years I believed that to be the true Gollum until I read the books. Up until then, I had always wondered why the Ralph Bakshi Gollum was so different. Anyways, Andy Serkis' performance is without parallel and I truly hope all this campaigning for a supporting actor Academy Award nomination pays off, he most definitely deserves it.

The Ents blews me away, they were much more convincing than I expected. They weren't perfect, of course, but this is a movie and movies are NEVER perfect so I can get past that. Hey, I was raised on Star Wars and Indiana Jones films, I'm used to shoddy special effects.:D Not to imply that anything in T2T was shoddy, at their worst, the effects were still on par with the CG seen in Ep2.

Gimli's turn as a comedian was pretty much welcomed by me in many respects. He was almost non-existant in the theatrical cut of FOTR, thus it was nice to see him taking on a more memorable role in T2T. I have heard some complaints (on other sites) as to how his performance is an insult to the race of Dwarves; but last I checked, there has never actually been a true race of Dwarves (although dwarfs are born all the time, they are hardly their own race, that would be akin to claiming that bald guys were a separate race), so who cares? Sometimes the whole PC thing can be taken too far. It might bother some people, but it didn't bother me at all.

As I read the books, Gimli was always my favorite character by default, because he was a dwarf. And dwarves have always been my favorite fantasy race. However, Fellowship started to shift my loyalties a little and T2T has clinched it. Sean Astin has made Samwise Gamgee my all-time favorite LOTR character. He has done such an amazing job portraying the character and Sam is such a noble and respectable Hobbit. I have heard some complain about Sean's role and his acting abilities in general. I can only remember seeing him in one other movie, Memphis Belle, and he played a completely different type of character. When I rewatched that movie on video, he was almost unrecognizeable in attitude and body language (not to mention being about 30 pounds lighter). I think that is a wonderful testament to his skill as an actor. I know he was in Goonies also, but I only saw that once over 15 years ago, so I don't remember too much about his performance then (was he the kid with the inhaler?). Anyways, some may knock him, but that is their perogative, I think he is doing an amazing job. If I were carrying a ring of doom into the heart of a land of evil, Samwise would be my first choice for a traveling companion.:)

Another thing some people seem to have a big problem with is the shifting of certain plotlines out of T2T into Fellowship and ROTK, well in two years when all three films are out on DVD, this will be a completely moot point. However, for now, I completely trust Peter Jackson's vision. Out of all the novels, ROTK is the shortest. The War of the Ring is in just over 200 pages, compare that to Fellowship's 400 pages. The book goes on for about 50-60 more pages after that and includes a completely unecessary, IMO, mini-adventure that thankfully PJ has removed -- The Scouring of the Shire. That chapter in the book always kind of bothered me and I don't think it has any place in the movie. If it were to be put in, the film would run at least 30 minutes longer and would definitely overstay it's welcome. Once the primary storyline has reached it's climax (in this case, the destruction of the One Ring), then it is the job of the director to wrap things up quickly. I believe ROTK will end in a manner similar to the Rankin-Bass version of the film: the end of the war, a celebration and coronation of you-know-who, a brief montage showing what happens to all the primary characters afterwards and then Bilbo's last birthday party before the passing into the West. Or something like that.

As I watch the movie again and again, I start to notice tiny, little moments that I am falling in love with. Most of them are so simple and involve little or no CG effects. One of my favorites is at the grave of Theodred, Theoden's son, where Theoden holds up a flower. It is framed so beautifully in the center of the screen, and the idea that a movie of such scale would take the time to focus on something so tiny and fragile is just amazing. Another favorite moment involves Gandalf calling to Shadowfax, no CG creature, no special effects, just wonderful slow-motion footage of a white horse running with Howard Shore's beautiful musical score in the background. Absolutely amazing. The flash-forward of Arwen standing before Aragorn's tomb and wandering the dying forest is becoming one of my favorite scenes in all of cinema. I find it to be one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever seen on film.

That pretty much covers everything I wanted to say about the film, I can't say whether I like T2T better than Fellowship anymore than I can say whether I like my heart better than my liver. They are both part of the same organism (more so than the original Star Wars trilogy and even more so than the SW prequels). Thus I will not pick favorites, I just look forward to the day when I can view them as one giant film.

I will just end with this, LOTR has more than replaced Star Wars in my mind as the most amazing saga to be depicted on film. It is grand, it is beautiful, it is intelligent and it is just an amazing visual journey that will not be matched for many years to come.

ThomasLane
01-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I will just end with this, LOTR has more than replaced Star Wars in my mind as the most amazing saga to be depicted on film. It is grand, it is beautiful, it is intelligent and it is just an amazing visual journey that will not be matched for many years to come.

I gotta agree. 'Fellowship' and 'Two Towers' has done for me what 'Star Wars' and 'Empire' did so many years ago (and what 'Phantom' and 'Clones' failed to do). I don't know how to describe that feeling, other than 'pure joy'. Thanks, Peter Jackson, for bringing Middle-Earth alive on the big screen.

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 05:57 AM
I finally saw the film, and while I thought it was very good, I didn't like it as much as the first one. TTT seemed a little too disjointed for my tastes and concentrated too much on the "action" and not enough on the personal parts (and when they did get to the personal parts, it was almost all Aragorn). I guess you could boil that all down to "a lack of balance", that seems a little too simplistic but I think it gets the point across.

Prince Xizor
01-03-2003, 07:39 PM
I saw the movie opening day and just yesterday, and I all I have to say is Wow.

My favorite parts:

-The fight between The Balrog and Gandalf. It was super duper amazing. It didn't look fake at all, and I was holding my breath for every moment of it. Afterwards my friend and I looked at each other in kind of a "Holy Sh**" look. My only small gripe about it is I wish the Balrog got a few more punchs in. He kinda seemed like a wuss.

-Gimili's role as comedy, I thought, was well done. I laughed at everything the dwarf said or did. The first time I laughed the hardest when they showed him on top of Helm's deep with only his helmet showing. The second time I laughed the hardest when they were fighting Sauramon's Dogs, and Legalos killed one right before Gimili was going to and he yelled out "That one counted as mine!".

-Gollum. I honestly think that the man who potrays Gollum (I forget his damn name) should get a Best Supporting Actor nomination/win for this part. The scene where he forces the bad half of himself out because he has a new "master" was jaw-dropping. He seriously did the best acting job in Two Towers.

Now the only part of the movie that I didn't like was all the stuff with Aragon/Arwen. I might have something to do with the fact that I dislike Liv Tyler, but with any other actress I still don't think I would have liked it. It was boring and it interuptted the action. Although the part with Hugo Weaving was good, when he convinced her to stay with the elves, I did enjoy that.

All in all, It is my favorite action/fantasy/sci-fi movie of the year. It far surpasses the pretty good AOTC.

Wookiee
01-13-2003, 10:00 AM
I also heartily agree that LOTR has succeeded in capturing the awe and magic which the Original Trilogy had, but the prequels somewhat lack.

I just saw TTT again yesterday, and I'd watch it again today if I didn't have to work!

there were so many times I just sat there going "wow." seeing the entire Orc army massed. The orcs blowing up the Deepening wall, and that scene when Gandalf and the Rohirrim come galloping down the hill to save the battle, wow, just pure movie magic. I wish TPM and AOTC could have provided those kinds of thrills, but for me they didn't really.

Also, so many other great quiet moments in the "Rings" movies.
in "Fellowship" in the mines of Moria when Frodo breaks down and confesses his fears to Gandalf, and Gandalf reassures him that he was given the burden of the Ring for a purpose; so much feeling there. Theoden crying at the grave of his son. We've barely been introdoced to his character at this point in the story, but you can't help but be moved.

And talk about heros- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are awesome. I liked Arwen & Eowyn much more than Padme too, for strong protagonist female leads.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars too, and I'm sure I always will, Lord of the Rings is so much more amazing and fun.

Eternal Padawan
03-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Let me just say how cool it is to have friends in the movie industry that can slip me VHS tapes "for my consideration" ;)

Now I can watch The Two Towers over and over again at my leisure until the DVD comes out. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Does anyone remember after FotR was out for a few months PJ added on the TTT preview to the end of the movie? Why wasn't that done for RotK?

Anyone hear anything on when RotK's trailer/preview will be released?

Jargo
05-23-2003, 08:41 PM
It's on the DVD of T2T. A taster of the final chapter. AUG 26th

I still haven't seen T2T yet. I don't watch movies in theaters anymore so I'm waiting until November and the four disk set. I absolutely fell in love with FOTR though simply because the backdrop of New Zealand is perfect as middle earth and finally dispelled my feeling from the books and that animated version that middle earth was all grey and drab and had overcast grey cloudy skies. Now i see middle earth with sunshine and greenery which makes the whole thing enjoyable. I think one of the greatest parts of LOTR is that there's real acting going on. Unlike the auto pilot Star Wars acting where they simply say the words and pretend on cue in LOTR what you get is proper emotional responses and subtle layers of characterisation where it's possible to see that the characters are thinking and those thoughts seem tangible.
There's also the layers of design that have gone into this and the dedication to the whole project rather than the bored apathy of the star wars movies recently.
I was a fan of fantasy/myths/legends before I was a fan of science fiction and these movies are reminding me how much I love all the elements of fantasy and how pure it is. How rich it is and how diverse.
I'm sure editorially speaking there are duff points in LOTR. Effects wise there are duff places. But over all the defects make it a better viewing experience. Too perfect and it would have been bland as ***** like the star wars prequels are.
I actually felt like I'd seen an honest and real movie when i watched FOTR, something i haven't felt in such a long time. I fully expect to feel the same when i get around to watching T2T.

Sorry for the side track to this conversation just had to say my piece.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-27-2003, 02:09 PM
I agree with ya EJ. The location scouting on LOTR was brilliant. It's one example of moviemaking done right. And notice that it wasn't a Hollywood production either.

Can't wait to see the RotK trailer. I'm hoping it'll put me in the mood like the TTT preview did.

BTW, you're in for a treat if you haven't seen TTT yet. IMO it's a great flick with really good action and great scenery. Not the same thing as FotR, but still well done.

aceguide
06-05-2003, 10:56 AM
I am amazed by the quality of the first two installments. TTT was incredible. I have read the posts, and understand some of the comments. However, I cannot bring myself to dwell on them as the rest of the movie more than compensated for any shortcomings.

One thing that I have been amazed by is the editing of the books for the screen. Sure, not everything is in there, and even some vital elements were left out for the die hards. BUT, overall, the story is intact, and the movies are not 8 hours long.

My only other comment has to be about Helms Deep. That is one of the best battle scenes of all time. I cannot wait for the DVD to study it in detail.

Can't wait for some hype on ROTK!

Jargo
06-10-2003, 08:22 AM
One of the things about the script I've been impressed with is the way they've put info vital to the story in different places to keep scenes short. In the books the dialogue drags on in places which would be so dull to sit through in a movie so splitting it up and inserting it where it still makes sense and using flashbacks makes the characters come alive because we get a sense of their thought processes but it reminds us of plot points where we may have forgotten stuff due to the length of the movies.
The cut stuff doesn't really matter to me. The scouring of the ****re for example. There's no need to do it like PJ says, it's non essential. We've seen the glimpses of it and know it could happen so all we need is a brief line about how it did happen and the hobbits sorted it out. Jump to several years later and the end of the book in a nice soft focus bitter sweet finale.
PJ is doing a first class job and even the die hards are pleased mostly.
I keep seeing things on screen that are exactly how I imagined they would look. But I guess as PJ also says, half the work was done by Tolkien. his descriptions in the book informed the designs and therefore the job wasn't that difficult to translate to the screen.

What is odd though is how stagey the acting is. I noticed this watching the T2T trailer yesterday with my non fan brother. he wasn't impressed and i saw why. The acting style is epic and suits the fantasy genre but if you put that style of acting anywhere else it would be at odds. My bro is into war movies which have their own acting style, hero acting with grunts in every line and sad cliches every minute.
I happen to think PJ chose well in his cast and also in going down this road regarding the acting style. It's an older style of acting and suits the story so well, lends it a credible historical feel. And it does almost feel like a historical story rather than a fantasy one.
Having just got a broadband connection I've been able at last to download the trailers at the highest definition and revel in the excitement they generate. I get such a thrill from LOTR that i never got with star wars. well maybe the OT when I was younger but these SW prequels are just doing nothing for me. LOTR has made me feel like a kid again and the WOW factor is so high.
I'm looking forward the ROTK trailer with a silly giddy glee now. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
06-10-2003, 06:56 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR TTT DVD

I thought I had posted this tidbit but perhaps I was only thinking about doing this and just forgot, so if you've seen this before I apologize for the redundancy.

I was reading a TTT filmbook in the university bookstore the other day and found what looks like a potential cut scene that could be put onto the EE DVD. The book had a picture of Andy Serkis as Smeagol before he was turned into Gollum. It showed him in the rowboat with Deagol, his cousin, when Deagol comes across the ring 500 or so years before The Hobbit. There was some little blurb about Frodo discussing with Gollum how he came across the ring and a flashback ensues, thus showing Serkis in pre-Gollum costume.

It sounded pretty cool to me so I'm hoping it gets included in the EE DVD.

Jargo
06-10-2003, 07:37 PM
I've seen those pics too. Been digging round the net for as many pics as I can find and I think I read somewhere that it's a highly likely scene to be included. I also read the script for T2T and that part with Smeagol and Deagol is in there. It's where Frodo tricks gollum into remembering who he used to be in order to tame him. It's because Frodo makes Smeagol believe that he is interested that Gollum is tamed and Smeagol comes back into power over his self. But the flashback reveals what happened and how Smeagol got the ring.

The pics I've found of ROTK are really cool too. Aragorn really looks the biz. Arwen looks pretty hot too. :D It's this new broadband connection, I'm going nuts and somehow I've managed to download three thousand pics in two days. :eek: Mostly screen caps from the DVD and mag scans. good quality too.
I'm becoming a bit of an LOTR geek. Star wars is so passe darling, LOTR is so new - so NOW! :p

bigbarada
06-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I'm becoming a bit of an LOTR geek. Star wars is so passe darling, LOTR is so new - so NOW! :p

Glad you liked FOTR, EJ, I don't think you'll be disappointed with T2T.:cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-17-2003, 10:52 PM
I think i read somewhere that the scene w/ Serkis as Smeagol is going to be in ROTK somewhere. I think Serkis did an interview where he joked around how Jackson promised him we'd actually see Andy in T2T, but laughed at how it got put into ROTK. :D

Jargo
06-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Here's Smeagol and Deagol, I have another pic somewhere of Smeagol looking dastardly and taken over by the ring. I'll try to find it.

scruffziller
08-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Here is what the gift set is going to look like. I am not sure as to what the specific content is though. Bookends, extra DVD, etc. etc.

ThomasLane
08-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Here is what the gift set is going to look like. I am not sure as to what the specific content is though. Bookends, extra DVD, etc. etc.

According to the official site, it's supposed to be "a Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta".

scruffziller
08-14-2003, 02:09 PM
According to the official site, it's supposed to be "a Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta".
That must be what is in that box in the pic. It looks like it is just a cardboard picture.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2003, 05:25 PM
Got a question about next week's TTT DVD release. Does anyone know if it'll include a coupon book like the one in the FotR set? I'm hoping it'll have another $5 off coupon/rebate for the extended set.

Jargo
08-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Just watched the DVDs. Sat and watched every last second of the whole thing. I'm kinda bedazzled by the brilliance and crappiness of different set pieces. Edoras and fangorn look fantastic wheras helms deep just looks like what it is, a wall built in a big old quarry. Helms deep looked so so fake. The battle wasn't any better than the Amon hen batle. The only points that impressed me where the blasting of the deeping wall and the arming of the boys. But ultimately the sequence disappointed me. The Ents were atrociously executed. I thought perhaps Disney had got hold of the movie and shoved something from fantasia in there. Horrible part of the movie. Gollum was annoying as hell because he was too mobile. Too bendy to be real. They should have stuck to the exact movements of Andy Serkis instead of adding in more fidgeting and loosening up the body style. It just went too far and again Gollum looked fake. A good fake but fake all the same. And the most horrible part was the song over the credits. Hideous hideous vocals where just the music would have better fitted the mood at the end of the movie.

However those quibbles aside i thoroughly enjoyed the movie otherwise i couldn't have sat down and watched it all the way through. Me and the other half sat gripped by the acting of the humans. Miranda Otto played lovestruck Eowyn perfectly. Brad Dourif handled the role of Grima beautifully.
But I'm getting a feeling that the first and last movie of the trilogy will be me preferred viewing with TTT being a not brilliant sandwich filler. But all depends now on how the movie plays in the extended version in november. I might completely change my mind about the movie then but never about the CGI stuff. Too much, too cocky and Too long. The only really good CGI work was on the Fell beasts. Those fellas are just the best dragons ever. I want one for a pet.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-26-2003, 02:56 AM
Just got back from TTT midnight madness at WM. I haven't looked at the discs yet, but I am disappointed that they don't include any sort of coupon book like the one for FotR. All it had was some lame-o LOTR "Adventure Card" with a code for the www.lotradventure.com web site.

Hopefully they'll post some way that 2-disc set owners can get a discount on the 4-disc set.

Pendo
08-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Got my TTT DVD today :D, all it has done is wet my appetite for more. The extended version looks awsome, and so does TROTK :D! Can't wait!

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-26-2003, 04:28 PM
I rented the Two Towers today and have been messin' w/ the special features most of the day.

Honestly, who else was foaming at the mouth during the ROTK preview?!!? C'mon!!! I know somebody else was!! :crazed:

I plan on waiting for the Extended Edition of the film (last year, i fell to the dark side and got both) but it's going to take A LOT of self control to wait for it. hehehehehehe

aceguide
08-27-2003, 09:31 AM
The dark side is strong and I have my first of two TTT DVD's. I have to say that I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first viewing. I checked out a few features and ROTK looks awesome - as does the extended DVD release.

Looking forward to November fo rthe extended version, and December for the last instalment!

Kidhuman
08-27-2003, 11:00 AM
This movie was awesome. Iloved every second of it. The battle at Helms deep was great. The TreeBeards were even better. Gollum looked great. I cant say enough about it.

The preview for ROTK looked sweet. I can not wait for that movie.

Edited for spelling.

kool-aid killer
08-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Im hoping my mother will pick this up over the weekend that way i can watch it again sometime soon. Im waiting for the EE to come out. That i will definitely get.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Any word yet if the EE will contain a free movie pass for RotK like the EE for FotR had for TTT?

Please send the answer ASAP, PDQ, and KISS. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
09-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I was on that www.lotradventure.com web site last night and found out that there will again be a $5 discount offer on the TTT EE and $10 for the collector's box for the 2-disc purchasers. This time it looks like we'll have to mail it in after purchase for a refund and not before.

While I'm glad they're doing it, I don't like it this way. I'd rather just have a coupon and get all the money back now and not have to pay the tax on the discount, which you do pay with a refund. Why not just include a coupon in each DVD and be done with it?

scruffziller
09-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Well it appears that the only exclusive 5th disc is nothing more than a "making of the Gollum Statue.
Details below.

The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set)

This item will be released on November 18, 2003. You may order it now and it will be shipped to you when it arrives. The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Extended Edition) also available for pre-order.

· Features:
1. Four-disc Platinum Series Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of Rings: The Two Towers (click product link for details)
2. Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta
3. Exclusive bonus DVD on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created
4. Exclusive printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to digital character

Exclusive Offer: Order The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set)
now and receive immediate access to the following in your Digital Library:
· A special streaming media featurette on the filming of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
*ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
List price: $79.98 -- Our price: $59.99 (Save 25%)</font>-->Description </font>-->The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set)

This item will be released on November 18, 2003. You may order it now and it will be shipped to you when it arrives. The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Extended Edition) also available for pre-order.

и Features:
1. Four-disc Platinum Series Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of Rings: The Two Towers (click product link for details)
2. Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta
3. Exclusive bonus DVD on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created
4. Exclusive printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to digital character

Exclusive Offer: Order The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set)
now and receive immediate access to the following in your Digital Library:
и A special streaming media featurette on the filming of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Pendo
09-13-2003, 12:04 PM
The UK will probably not get the exclusive 5th disc, we didn't with the FOTR Extended DVD :(.

PENDO!

Mandalorian Candidat
09-13-2003, 01:53 PM
The fifth disc sound like it is 100% useless unless you are in school learning how to fabricate statues. The FotR box set is looking way better at this point than this one. At least the 5th disc in that one talked about the background of the movie and not how WETA designed the Argonath bookends.

I'll be sticking with the 4 disc set.

scruffziller
09-14-2003, 03:36 PM
The UK will probably not get the exclusive 5th disc, we didn't with the FOTR Extended DVD :(.

PENDO!
It was a DVD of a National Geographic special on Tolkien. You might be able to get it seperately somewhere, ebay perhaps.