PDA

View Full Version : The Magic is gone

rherk
12-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Maybe this is just an oportunity to vent or maybe a product of boredom but most likely this letter is out of sadness.

Just for a moment put aside the fact that your a corporation who is in it all for the money. No, wait a minute! Don't do that because if you read this letter carefully to what I have to say you may very well start really profiting again on Star Wars.

Hasbro, I almost completely blame you for draining the magic and excitement out of collecting Star Wars figures. When you started up again with Star Wars toys in 95 with POTF2, the figures were not perfect but there was something. The assortments got progressively better, the sculpts were more acurate and the characters were a plenty. By the time of the last POTJ assortment you got it done right and I couldn't be happier. Then came Episode 2 and the Saga line.

Fine. I will agree Ep. 2 as a movie wasn't like the original trilogy but nothing could be but as a fan of the Star Wars universe, I was still into it and ready to buy all the little figures of all the new aliens, villians and heroes alike.

The Saga toyline has exhausted me. There is no consistancy! When I stand up all my figures they don't have the glory of the old line. Some figures legs are stretched so far out they won't even fit on the large round stands that I use. I almost need a whole shelf just for Jango figures alone and still there isn't one that is "the definitive one".

Sometimes simpicity is the answer. I don't need all the fancy poses, the upteen amount of accesories or the scene specific facial expression. I just want a complete line of The Star Wars Universe. And, yes, I most definitely appreciate it when an earlier figure gets a new and better resculpt when needed. I did appreciate the 300th Boba Fett. It was excellent and much better then the first.

I know I'm just one person and your not going to completey restructure cause of one silly letter in one silly forum by one little Star Wars fan but I promise you I'm not the only one who feels this way. Research will prove that things are not right. Something must be done to preserve the longevity of Star Wars figures. They are beyond just a common childs plaything. They are their own universe.

Star Wars is my childhood and I hope Star Wars figures will continue to be in my future.

Thanks
Randy

Fulit
12-19-2002, 10:06 AM
Yes! No more "kick me in the jimmy" action poses! I can assure you that no one stands with their legs that far apart, unless they've had some major surgery. Close the legs, Hasbore!

Jerjerrod
12-19-2002, 11:04 AM
I agree. Stop trying to be kicked in the crotch Hasbro.

Jedi Master Silas
12-19-2002, 12:09 PM
I hate those dag-on action poses to. My son stopped wanting SW figs because he said they arent fun to play with now. Examples from an eight year old: They dont fit in my ships, they wont stand up they fall over. He plays with GI Joes now. Oh also he said they break. IMO I dont think they have the playability that they used to for children as much as they used to. ^5 Fulit!

sith_killer_99
12-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Yep, the SAGA collection broke me of my completist ways.:(

El Chuxter
12-19-2002, 01:09 PM
I couldn't agree more. Also, please stop with the rehashes. Episode I Yoda was okay when he came out, and POTJ Tusken is still one of the best figures. But we didn't need these onetime pegwarmers again already. We didn't need most of the pack-ins from the Target packs (the red Battle Droid being the notable exception), and, looking at next year's offerings, we don't need complete rehashes of the Gungan Warrior, Gamorrean Guard, and every dang bounty hunter you've produced in the past seven years.

Hasbro, I know you're reading this. Hopefully you've gotten by now that we fans as a whole are not satisfied. We desperately want to love Star Wars figures again as we did a year or two ago.

Fulit
12-19-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
^5 Fulit!

Heh? :confused:

My kid has problems with the playability of the figures, but then he's only 3. It's hard for him to stand them up, due to the previously mentioned "spread eagle" stance.

Jedi Master Silas
12-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Oops... ^5 = high five...do ya get it??? ;)

Fulit
12-19-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Oops... ^5 = high five...do ya get it??? ;)

Oh, duh! I deride my symbol-deciphering abilities.

JediTricks
12-19-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Yep, the SAGA collection broke me of my completist ways.:( Exactly the same with me. Too many figures are trying to be too many things at once keeping them from interacting with vehicles and even other figures. They don't play well and they don't display well, there's no flexability in many of these figures. There's so much more wrong with the Saga line too, it's a shame.

DarthBrandon
12-20-2002, 12:28 AM
I have said this many times Hasbro has lost their touch since the POTJ days. The figures in that line were really top notch quality, but as of late (The Saga Line) it has dwindled into a what kind of gimmick that doesn't work can we try now kind of thing. My son is four years old and he only likes the look of the figures and not the playability of them. He would rather play with the Marvel Legend action figures or GIJOE rather than the S.W. action figures that clutter his room. I used to collect every action figure I could, even the hard to find and unimportant ones. Now I just try to get one with good sculpts that can stand up and not gimmick riddled. I hope that in the future Hasbro will go back and continue where they left off during the POTJ run. Until then there is about fifty figures that I will not buy due to the fact you can't stand them up, they have gimmicks that don't belong on them and I am sick of seeing Jango figures.:D I hope you find your way back to the quality and standard that you are capable of manufacturing.

Banthaholic
12-20-2002, 02:18 AM
Away with the action features.
Let the kids use their 'Imagination'.

Q: What's the difference between a Jango Fett with a button for action arm swing action and someone just moving the arm on their own?
A: A lot of ticked off fans!

jedihunter25
12-20-2002, 02:29 AM
Now they cancelled the Sandcrawler, instead we get more rehash vehicles in different colored boxes and less new vehicles that fans really want.

Lman316
12-20-2002, 02:27 PM
There really isn't any thing that I could add to this thread. I agree with everything that's been said, and it's time that Hasbro listens.
Action features... they're fun for about two seconds, if even that long. Why is it that no one is allowed to think for themselves when it comes to action figures, anymore? You know, maybe I want to have Pilot Jango Fett holding someone at blaster-point...oh, but wait, I can't because he can't keep his blasters up without me holding the stupid button down. Same thing with the new Padme.
Imagination is being sucked right out of toys. They're telling us what we can and can't do with certain toys and that's a load of bull. Even though I'm slightly grown up (19...can you believe it? :p), I still like to play with toys, and I like to make stuff up...however wacky it might be. But I lose interest quickly because I'm tired of one pose...or stupid magnets that can't hold weapons for more than a second...or action features that I have work...it's boring. Give me full range of articulation! Let me be able to friggin' play with these things! If I want statues, I'll buy some Palisades busts. If I want projectiles, I'll buy some Nerf guns (if they still make those, :p). C'mon! How about some normal, neutrally posed, articulation-filled figures that we can actually play with...or display...or both? Cripes :mad:!

End...

OzOtter
01-01-2003, 05:32 PM
THEY CANCELLED THE SANDCRAWLER??!!!

I'm very upset about this! Where can I get confirmation?

OzOtter
01-01-2003, 05:42 PM
On another note, I just wanted to chime in on the above statements.

I have always been a bit of an action figure fan, collecting stuff other than just Star Wars. Just over a year ago i decided it was time to do away with the whole action figure thing. I really wanted the money to spend on other things. But I couldn't give up the one that started it all, Star Wars toys. So that was my final decision. I would only collect SW figs.

But the saga line is so frustratingly inconsistent that I have started collecting other figs again, just to get some cool toys.

Thanks Mattel, for doing such great work with the new He-man figs. And thanks Stan Winston for your inspired creations. You have returned to me the pleasure I found in collecting toys in the first place.

evenflow
01-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by OzOtter
THEY CANCELLED THE SANDCRAWLER??!!!

I'm very upset about this! Where can I get confirmation?

You have got to be kidding me. That totally sucks. When was this info released. I have to have a legit source of confirmation.

Dr Zoltar
01-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Does anyone think it would do any good to write/email Hasbro and let them know how much exclusives irritate us fans? I hate having to scour different stores looking for various items that can only be found at each store. But Iím afraid my complaint might fall upon deaf ears. Iím sure exclusives are all about $$ deals with the various retail stores.

I donít even like to shop in Wal-Mart but have to if Iím to have a hope at getting the Cantina sets or the Trash Compactor cinema scenes at a reasonable priceÖ

Dark Knight
01-02-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
Does anyone think it would do any good to write/email Hasbro and let them know how much exclusives irritate us fans? I hate having to scour different stores looking for various items that can only be found at each store. But Iím afraid my complaint might fall upon deaf ears. Iím sure exclusives are all about $$ deals with the various retail stores.

I donít even like to shop in Wal-Mart but have to if Iím to have a hope at getting the Cantina sets or the Trash Compactor cinema scenes at a reasonable priceÖ

I total agree that hasbro has screwed up the saga series.

I think we all have to e-mail hasbro on a daily basis. For them to change. I know that mailing local gov't in large doses and often gets the point across often enough.

QLD
01-02-2003, 02:46 AM
The only way they will listen, and the only way to prove the point, is to stop buying the product. Money is the only language they speak.

2-1B
01-02-2003, 03:09 AM
I certainly won't be buying a Sandcrawler, is that what you mean QLD? :p

Jaff
01-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Amen, the poses take away the quality of the figure. Let the figures stand on their own rather then making them LOOK like statues. Hasbro needs to get back to the basics. I still love all my star wars stuff, even some super posers, but something is getting lost with the poses. Remember hasbro, fans don't want to see nobs sticking out of their figures backs. can you say luke and darth.!!!!

JON9000
01-02-2003, 04:05 PM
I don't mind resculpts, but 5 Jangos within 6 months of the release is stupid. And we are still getting ridiculous redos of Darth Maul. I do not mind a resculpt or a redo if the last time the character got a figure was 3 or more years ago, the original was lame, or the character is in a completely new costume. Perhaps the anchor characters would sell off the peg better if collectors new to the game had a chance to get a character they had been wanting for awhile, rather than seeing a new version every 6 months. And aliens can move off the shelf- look at ephant mon.

Darth Cruel
01-02-2003, 06:05 PM
of calling for a boycott of Star Wars figures for a long time now. I have already decided to boycott by myself until Hasbro makes a change (it is my New Year's resolution).

Lord of the Rings figures are a lot better quality. I am on them exclusively until Hasbro shapes up the Star Wars lines.

I believe I have about 12-15 thousand dollars wrapped up in just Star Wars action figures. And I have a job that would support me buying the three of everything I want to collect if I wanted (sorry to sound like a braggart, I just want Hasbro to read the numbers), but I have burned out on the non-stop disappointment of the gimmick-laden, non-poseable, no-action figures that have eaten into the toy line like a cancer.

I am also tired of hearing about them making the toys for the kids. I also stopped buying them for my son. So there is 4 of everything Hasbro will not be selling me.

Hasbro - When you want to be serious about making a truly incredible toy line out of Star Wars, email me a job offer!

Collectors - It is all a bunch of useless sniveling that Hasbro laughs at until we really do something.

El Chuxter
01-02-2003, 06:18 PM
We Star Wars collectors have always been pretty quick as a bunch to complain and gripe, but lately it looks like more of us are doing more than whining. I know of several people who were completists not even a full year ago and now buy little or no SW merchandise at all. And the rest, well, they're no longer completists. There are way too many rehashes, and the quality of the original sculpts is going down for the most part. And the few figures that really are nice, original figures (like Pilot Padme and Pilot Jango) are usually maimed by silly action features and substandard plastic.

One year ago, Bo'Shek and Teebo were the hot new figures we couldn't wait to find. Now, most of the SW fans prefer MOTU, Marvel Legends, LOTR, and other lines to SW.

The name of this forum is "Dear Hasbro" and I sincerely hope any Hasbro reps who may be reading are taking this very seriously. Or at least in a year or two when sales have dropped too far, I hope you don't just shrug it off as kids outgrowing the line.

QLD
01-02-2003, 07:58 PM
I have to appluad you as well Big B.

I have recently, for the first time in years, passed on new SW figures I didn't have that were sitting on the shelf.

I doubt i will sell what I already have, but I am already buying a lot less SW figures. I was a completist of the 3" line.....but now, I am going to just buy what I want, me thinks. WHich lately, isn't a whole lot.

What it most likely means, is that I won't be buying many figures from the prequels. Maybe a few here and there, but not many.

I have fallen in love with LOTR and Marvel Legends, and they are just so superior to the Hasbro SW product, it's laughable.

I'll still buy a few, but nothing like I did before.

It was only a few years ago, that I quit collecting carded, and sold off my entire carded collection, kkeeping the loose ones. I know how liberating that was for me. I cna just imagine how free you feel now BigB.

Darth Cruel
01-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Here is something to think about. The LOTR figures have a lot of action feature gimmicks as well...but the figures are so well done that they are actually an acceptable bad point.

Toybiz looks to be trying to take over as the kings of the action figure. (at least the mainstream lines, anyway).

stillakid
01-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by rherk
Maybe this is just an oportunity to vent or maybe a product of boredom but most likely this letter is out of sadness.

Just for a moment put aside the fact that your a corporation who is in it all for the money. No, wait a minute! Don't do that because if you read this letter carefully to what I have to say you may very well start really profiting again on Star Wars.

Hasbro, I almost completely blame you for draining the magic and excitement out of collecting Star Wars figures. When you started up again with Star Wars toys in 95 with POTF2, the figures were not perfect but there was something. The assortments got progressively better, the sculpts were more acurate and the characters were a plenty. By the time of the last POTJ assortment you got it done right and I couldn't be happier. Then came Episode 2 and the Saga line.

Fine. I will agree Ep. 2 as a movie wasn't like the original trilogy but nothing could be but as a fan of the Star Wars universe, I was still into it and ready to buy all the little figures of all the new aliens, villians and heroes alike.

The Saga toyline has exhausted me. There is no consistancy! When I stand up all my figures they don't have the glory of the old line. Some figures legs are stretched so far out they won't even fit on the large round stands that I use. I almost need a whole shelf just for Jango figures alone and still there isn't one that is "the definitive one".

Sometimes simpicity is the answer. I don't need all the fancy poses, the upteen amount of accesories or the scene specific facial expression. I just want a complete line of The Star Wars Universe. And, yes, I most definitely appreciate it when an earlier figure gets a new and better resculpt when needed. I did appreciate the 300th Boba Fett. It was excellent and much better then the first.

I know I'm just one person and your not going to completey restructure cause of one silly letter in one silly forum by one little Star Wars fan but I promise you I'm not the only one who feels this way. Research will prove that things are not right. Something must be done to preserve the longevity of Star Wars figures. They are beyond just a common childs plaything. They are their own universe.

Star Wars is my childhood and I hope Star Wars figures will continue to be in my future.

Thanks
Randy

2nd that motion.

I too, had hoped for a complete little universe of toys, but with the endless array of resculpts, gimmicks, and impossible to obtain exclusives, the consumer market for the product grows smaller with each passing day. As those profit numbers shrink in your ledgers, the inevitable decision will be to stop producing the line altogether. And it won't be because the interest isn't there. It will be because Hasbro itself killed the line.:(

bigbarada
01-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I have to appluad you as well Big B.

I have recently, for the first time in years, passed on new SW figures I didn't have that were sitting on the shelf.

I doubt i will sell what I already have, but I am already buying a lot less SW figures. I was a completist of the 3" line.....but now, I am going to just buy what I want, me thinks. WHich lately, isn't a whole lot.

What it most likely means, is that I won't be buying many figures from the prequels. Maybe a few here and there, but not many.

I have fallen in love with LOTR and Marvel Legends, and they are just so superior to the Hasbro SW product, it's laughable.

I'll still buy a few, but nothing like I did before.

It was only a few years ago, that I quit collecting carded, and sold off my entire carded collection, kkeeping the loose ones. I know how liberating that was for me. I cna just imagine how free you feel now BigB.

I think you meant for this to be in the other thread, but I do appreciate the sentiment. SW wasn't the only collection I had to go through this with, I collected comics obsessively for several years and it wasn't until I was just totally sick of the gimmicky covers and super-heroes deaths and #1 issues that never seemed to go anywhere that I regretfully gave up and have never gone back. (fortunately I left just before the Spider-Clone storyline) I credit Image with killing off the comic book medium and I believe Hasbro is doing a lot to kill off the action figure hobby.

Jaff
01-03-2003, 02:29 AM
Since 1995 I was a completest, This year I am not. I have passed on countless figures, but I will continue to collect what I really like like Ephant, Lott Dodd.... I don't buy the statue figs, and although boycotting may seem sound it will only damage the possibility of a future franchise. What is needed to be done is not to buy crappy unleashed like figures. I am actually stunned that croft amidalla's sold at all. It all started with Eeth Koth last year. The message needs to be we don't buy that junk, not we don't buy star wars.

Darth Cruel
01-03-2003, 12:20 PM
A valid point Jaff. I tend to be an extremist.

OzOtter
01-03-2003, 04:45 PM
It certainly is interesting that so many of us have stopped striving for completion just this year!

Does anyone from Hasbro actually read any of this? That is not a rhetorical question. I'm fairly new here so I was wondering if anyone knows if they really do. Or ever have.

Jargo
01-03-2003, 05:26 PM
From time to time a Hasbro person has read the stuff apparently. Probably to have a laugh at a lot of the posts that talk about what hasbro is or isn't apparently doing or not doing. If you create things you're going to want to know what people think of them right? So someone has to guage reactions. That's how they got the message about all ther buff figures being disliked and hopefully how they got the message that the gimmicks are disliked.But yeah, Steve says that hasbro people read this stuff so I guess they do.

Beast
01-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Yep, just like Jargo said. As for the follow-up questions that are probably likely. People from Hasbro arn't allowed to post, because of many many reasons. One of them being the fact that it would look like they are playing favorites, backing one of the fan sites over the other. The other one is if a figure comes out that is similar to an idea a fan has, the fan could use the posts by the Hasbro Employee as proof for suing them and claiming that they stole the ideas. Knowing how some people think, I'm sure someone would. :greedy: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Cruel
01-04-2003, 12:18 PM
I don't buy it. Maybe they do read these 'sites for entertainment. But if they gave a rats butt, they could have a rep post replies to common issues on there own site and allow any site who wants to post the info (or a link to it) to do so.

They used to have a column in "The Insider" that did just that...for an issue.

Nobody is going to convince me that Hasbro is afraid of being sued because they acknowledge the making of a figure that someone said they would like to see Hasbro make on this web site. Hasbro is the company with the license. Nobody else has a claim. I am not college trained in law, but it seems like a common sense issue to me. I just don't see how my saying "I have a great idea, Hasbro! Make a figure of Joe Baguidonitz. He's a Star Wars character that only I know about!" gives me any recourse in court.

The only exception I could see (and I STILL don't think this is the case) would be if someone created a totally original custom figure of an original character. And why would Hasbro even consider doing that.

I seem to remember that there is a college educated law buff who posts on this 'site. Maybe he/she can clear the air about this aspect of the discussion.

No, I fully believe that the sole driving force behind Hasbro's Star Wars production reasoning is the stupidity of people like me who will buy any figure on a Star Wars card. Heck, I even want ET on a Star Wars card.

I can imagine them in the conference room patting each other on the back for coming up with a new pose for Jango Fett that will only require 5 points of articulation. And they are laughing at people like me who HAVE to get this one because the other 11 Jangos we have won't articulate into this pose because they are posed statically in OTHER poses.

Beast
01-04-2003, 12:37 PM
They were asked in the past why they don't post, during a Q&A a few years ago. The reasons I stated above is exactly what they said in reply. I believe they also mentioned that they aren't really allowed to talk about upcoming stuff, so there really isn't much they can post about.

So believe it or not, obviously it's somthing that is serious enough in Hasbro's eyes for them to not even risk posting. Nothing wrong with buying varient Jangos, most have been different enough that they're worth it. They should have just spread it out a little more. :)

MTFHWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
01-04-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm in favor. Stop with the action poses Hasbro! The figures that YOU make can't even fit in YOUR vehicles!

AdmiralPiett
01-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Has anyone given us confirmation yet that the Sandcrawler will, in fact, NOT be released? I'd like to know the official source of this info. That is one of the only things I'm really looking forward to this year. It would be a shame if they cancelled it.
Piett

Jaff
01-07-2003, 11:05 AM
A marketer from hasbro does read sites to study the market. Rest assured sir steves is browsed on a daily basis.

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 02:10 PM
I fully and competely agree with you Randy!!! They need to go back to the old school of making figures. Now you have to buy little stands to put your figures on just so they will stand up. So at the very least, hasbro could mass produce figure stands for the figures that are out now, and sell like 10-20 in a package!!!

Darth Cruel
01-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by JediDBM
I fully and competely agree with you Randy!!!

RANDY? FROM HASBRO? GET HIM EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

OzOtter
01-08-2003, 10:01 PM
I'd like clarification on the Sandcrawler too. AFter the shutlle, that's the only other vehicle I wanted.

Jargo
01-09-2003, 05:30 PM
*Ping!* well that was the magic officially vanishing for me. I really couldn't care less whether Hasbro disappears permanently up their collective respective arses or just become an eve paler imitation of a good company than they already are. Screw hasbro Lego are more fun and the company are courteous and charming to converse with. They know a good thing when they're onto it and don't go for stupid gimmicks because they know they don't work. Lego have actual respect for their consumer base and respect the intelligence of kids in wanting a creative experience through play. Lego have bowed to the kids rather than make the kids bow to them. You don't get patronised by Lego, they tailor their toys to specific age groups but make them for kids up to the age of 100. The brain can be kept active and alive and in perfect working order with Lego wheras hasbro star wars id just plain sh**. Lego are innovative without being reformist. Lego makes me smile while Hasbro star wars makes me frown with agitation and frustration and anger and seething broiling hatred that runs deeper than hell itself.

mark2d2
01-10-2003, 03:21 PM
I, too, am DYING for some word on the Sandcrawler. This is the one and the ONLY thing that I simply cannot live without . . .

Please don't disappoint me, Hasbro. Please. Please! PLEASE!!!

stillakid
01-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
*Ping!* well that was the magic officially vanishing for me. I really couldn't care less whether Hasbro disappears permanently up their collective respective arses or just become an eve paler imitation of a good company than they already are. Screw hasbro Lego are more fun and the company are courteous and charming to converse with. They know a good thing when they're onto it and don't go for stupid gimmicks because they know they don't work. Lego have actual respect for their consumer base and respect the intelligence of kids in wanting a creative experience through play. Lego have bowed to the kids rather than make the kids bow to them. You don't get patronised by Lego, they tailor their toys to specific age groups but make them for kids up to the age of 100. The brain can be kept active and alive and in perfect working order with Lego wheras hasbro star wars id just plain sh**. Lego are innovative without being reformist. Lego makes me smile while Hasbro star wars makes me frown with agitation and frustration and anger and seething broiling hatred that runs deeper than hell itself.

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think. ;)

No, I totally understand what you're saying. In fact, my brother bought me the Lego TIE fighter for Xmas and honestly, it's the most fun my son and I have had with a Star Wars "thing" in a long time. It's a challenge to build (for him), and a pleasure for me to help and watch him play with. The Hasbro stuff is becoming more like work than fun.

QLD
01-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I am looking forward to the Lego Star Destroyer more than any of the upcoming Hasbro figures.

jpak001
01-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Plus, the legos are cool 'cause you can easily customize them. The Darth Vader tie was cool, but when they came out with the regular tie, it had some new parts that should've been on the DV tie.

It was easy enough to get an extra tie for parts and customize the DV tie = mine looks much sweeter now, plus I was able to give it the stand that the reg tie came with!

Legos rule!

Darth Sidious
01-11-2003, 07:50 PM
I know what Hasbro could do! Sell the SW line to ToyBiz! :D Well, God knows ToyBiz would do a better job. But I still like Hasbro, they have proven with Ephant Mon, the Clone Pilots, and the Nexu that they CAN make a good figure...They just need to POTJ-ize the Saga line and it will all be fine...

evenflow
01-13-2003, 06:48 AM
You know what, i have to agree that the magic is gone. I am just not into it as much as i was. I think Hasbro needs to really start putting some cool stuff out, instead of all these resculpts and stupid action features.

Jerjerrod
01-13-2003, 11:40 PM
I think Hasbro just needs some guidance, a better marketing and management team will suffice. And I don't think it's that hard. For those of you that read comics, look what Jemas and Quesada did for Marvel? As long as Hasbro hires someone intelligent and one that actually listens to fans, Hasbro will get it right. The sculpting and designing of figures are actually very good. Only the management team "forces" the sculptors to make the figures in funny poses, add gimmicks and such.

Also, the guy who's in charge of Collection 1 figures can't be the same guy that's in charge of Collection 2. All Hasbro needs to do is fire the Collection 1 guy, put him on a stick and fry his @$$.

Darth Cruel
01-14-2003, 02:16 PM
just stick him on a blister card.

RussUAE
08-31-2003, 07:33 AM
Well the magic is stilll there for me.

I mean, I get a real thrill finding new figures (or waiting for them to arrive in the post as is more often nowadays).

I got back into collecting again when Ep I came out and there is still an awful lot more I want to buy. I don't have a POTF2 collection, so that's a lot of characters out there I'd still like!

And as for the recent figures I've got - Emperor, WA-7, Faytonni, and the second wave of screen scenes - the magic is here to stay...

darthzirock
08-31-2003, 12:53 PM
The magic will never disappear completely for me. I've been collecting these blasted pieces of plastic too frickin' long now for that to happen. However, I can certainly be angered and frustrated by Hasbro's complete inability to get new product into retail outlets in sufficient quantities in my area. Living in Gastonia, NC, I am just a five-minute drive from two KayBee stores, a Target, a Wal-Mart, a Toys 'R' Us, and a K-Mart. The last time I saw new product anywhere was at Target a month ago!

Here we are, almost into September of 2003, and I have yet to find the following 2003 Saga figures at retail: #8 Boba Fett: The Pit of Carkoon; #13 Han Solo: Hoth Gear; #14 Chewbacca: Mynock Hunt; #17 Luke Skywalker: Throne Room Duel; #18 Darth Vader: Throne Room Duel; and, #19 Snowtrooper. Also, almost all of the figures I have found at retail stores were only still on the pegs because of smashed blistercards--which is fine with me because I open my figures!

Now, the thing is, I don't just depend on the stores in my area to look for these figures! I travel all over the region: Shelby, Pineville, Lincolnton, Hickory, Charlotte, Matthews, and even York, SC. And yet, I've seen nothing new in a month!

Hasbro, we collectors tell you that we want to buy your figures. We tell you repeatedly that they are not being stocked in sufficient quantities to satisfy our needs. You repeatedly tell us that you can't do anything about that. You repeatedly tell us that it isn't your fault! Well, I put it to you like this--it might not be your fault, but it's YOUR PROBLEM! I am so tired of not finding anything new that I'm about ready to just stop buying. The effort is draining all the fun out of collecting.

No, I'm not going to sell the figures I already have, nor will I burn them (as some idiots have done--why not just sell them and then burn the money?!). I will simply stop buying. My collection will end with what I have up to this point, and that will be all. I will be far more stress-free and have more money to do other things I still enjoy, the way I used to enjoy collecting Star Wars action figures. Now, I'd really hate for it to come to that point, but I'm so tired of finding nothing but dust-encrusted Slave I Pilot Jango Fett figures on the shelves that I am very, very seriously considering it! And, judging from the other posts on this forum, so are quite a few other collectors. Is that really what you want, Hasbro? If so, then just leave things the way they are, and it'll happen.