PDA

View Full Version : Video games of 2002 get a Failing Grade

mrmiller
12-19-2002, 11:06 AM
The was a new Report yesterday on the state of Video games. Take a look below:

From Gamespy Planet Xbox-

Report Card Issued: Failing Grade
Thursday, December 19, 08:33 | Talon |
Yesterday afternoon we reported that the National Institute On Media And The Family would be releasing the Seventh Annual MediaWise Video Game Report Card. This morning, following yesterday’s report, comes the findings. Presented in Washington, DC, this morning in coordination with Joseph Lieberman, Connecticut Representative Betty McCollum, and Minnesota Dr. David Walsh, this year’s report states that there’s a growing tendency to depict graphic violence against women; with the report citing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and the ability to gain money by killing a prostitute.
"I am outraged that millions of children are playing video games that include such graphic images of violence. This is fantastically inappropriate," said Dr. David Walsh. "Video game violence is now an epidemic, and violence against women has become a black mark on the entire industry. Rewarding players for having sex with, and killing, a prostitute is a frightening example to set. This failing grade is a wakeup call for everyone: manufacturers, retailers, and parents."
"As in previous years, the presence of these distinguished Members of Congress underscores the importance of this issue. Congressional support for this issue is crucial in getting the message out to parents, many of whom have an enormous knowledge gap when it comes to these games. Allowing children access to such potentially psychologically damaging material is patently irresponsible, Dr. Walsh continued to say."

The report continued to state that this year has been the first in which its overall findings have given the industry a failing grade. The report cites violence against women, videogame addiction, rating problems, retail failings at restricting mature themed games, and lack of parental awareness in respect to game content as reasons for the failure.

Should games have an Enforced ratings system like movies do? Some stores (Wal-Mart) already voluntarily use the ratings system to keep "Mature" rated games out of the hands of younger gamers, but should it become a law that these games cannot be sold to certian age groups? Or are there already laws for this? I think they are just reccomendations right now. I'd just assume they make it a law. Then everything a mature game came out, we wouldn't have to hear about all this crap. Plus- it would keep all the little kids out of my Deathmatch games ;).

=MATT=

LTBasker
12-19-2002, 11:25 AM
So they're giving the whole year a bad mark just because some parents allow their kids to play a mature game like GTA: Vice City? That's pathetic.

The Overlord Returns
12-19-2002, 11:49 AM
God forbid parents should have to take an active hand in the kind of media their children are indulging in... :rolleyes:

Fulit
12-19-2002, 12:15 PM
If anything, video games haven't been violent enough for my tastes. The lack of blood in Agent Under Fire, for example. Then, again, I have always wanted to see a game with chunks of skull and brain, and missing limbs and pieces of flesh. Maybe some intestines, for good measure.

mrmiller
12-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Fulit, it's people like you that give the rest of us gamers a difficult time, and cause things like this to happen :crazed: :p :D

=MATT=

Fulit
12-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Sorry.:o I can't help myself.

Wolfwood319
12-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
God forbid parents should have to take an active hand in the kind of media their children are indulging in... :rolleyes:

Thank you! For a while I thought I was the only one who thought like this. Violence has been around since the beginning of mankind, to specifically target videogames, as the government does, really shows the true over-simplification and general shot-sightedness our government truly conveys on such matters.

Movies are violent, books are violent, hell the world around us is full of violence. But hold on, now there's violence in video games, stop the presses, let's get some laws on this.

If parents spent more time raising their kids then lobbying for stupid laws and enforcements, the world would be a better place.

BTW, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was good, but not great. Just an updated Version of 3. Kingdom Hearts, Splinter Cell, and Metroid Prime were the games of the year, IMO.

JON9000
12-20-2002, 01:02 AM
I think the solution is to enforce the ratings system at the store level. Yes, in a perfect world parents would monitor their children's gaming choices, but unfortunately many parents do not care or are not educated about the ratings system. When I was a kid I probably could have pulled the wool over my parents' eyes because I had a TV in my room.

I think that games that use violence in a highly fantastical setting are relatively harmless, but games that portray anti social behavior and make it seem "cool" should be reserved for kids at least 14 years old.

First person shooters seem to me to be equivalent to flight simulators for training kids to do something different. Sure it doesn't have an adverse affect on a kid old enough to handle it, but young ones should not be playing.

One thing is for sure, the industry better police itself, or it might find itself the target of some unfriendly politicians.

That said, I played GTA Vice CIty for the first time today, and it was a lot of fun! :stupid:

Fulit
12-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by JON9000

but games that portray anti social behavior and make it seem "cool" should be reserved for kids at least 14 years old.

Oh, yeah, theres a stable age. ;)

One of two things will happen. Either we will become a completely controlled society, dependant on the government and ratings systems to tell us what to buy, or parents will eventually be forced to provide more guidance because common sense will take over and people will learn that if you want to depend on the government to run every little aspect of your life, move to China.

Rogue II
12-20-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
If parents spent more time raising their kids then lobbying for stupid laws and enforcements, the world would be a better place.

Wasn't there a South Park episode about that?:D

Parents really need to control what their kids play. And this National Institute On Media And The Family has to realize that kids aren't the only people who play video games.

scruffziller
12-21-2002, 07:50 AM
DEE SNIDER WHERE ARE YOU WHEN WE NEED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

JON9000
12-21-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
parents will eventually be forced to provide more guidance because common sense will take over and people will learn that if you want to depend on the government to run every little aspect of your life, move to China.

It seems like the longer I am around, the less supervision young ones seem to get. :(

My suggestion would not keep the games away from kids that could handle it because parents could still go and get the game if they felt their child was up to it. The policy would empower parents. Just like a 10 year old cannot buy cigarettes or an issue of Hustler, so too they should be prevented from purchasing highly violent material without mom and dad having some input.

BTW, I heard a PS2 wasn't even available in China because it could be used as a missle guidance system:confused:

How weird is that?

Dar' Argol
12-21-2002, 10:16 PM
Me personally, I love the GTA games. I think they are funny as hell. But I am a 26 yr old married man with a child. Do I let my daughter see that game?? Hell no! Would I let her get such a game . . . hell no! Do I think I am being hipocritical(sp) . . . hell no! Because I have tha maturity level and understanding that this is just a game. It will not make me a psycopathic killer, I will not flip out on ppl. It is a game and I enjoy it, but I will not act it out. My daughter would never get a game or play a game like this . . .you know why?? Because I care about what goes into my daughters head! I want to know what she is involved in. I care about her well being and influences. If Parents would actually be PARENTS and not allow their kids to walk all over them, if they would put their damn foot down and make these kids learn respect, none of these problems would occur. But frankly IMO, parents these days have lost their b***s and can't remember where they put them. So what happens, these kids with no respect/morals/good sense about them grow up and have kids and then the cycle repeats . . . only a little worse.

But yeah, I would never let my daughter get a game like this until she can demostrate to me that she is mature enough for something like that . . . . or at least until she's 32 . . . . . . :D