PDA

View Full Version : Right Or Left Handed?

Lman316
12-20-2002, 01:06 PM
At least to me, it seems that a few of the saber-wielding humans in Star Wars are right-handed. I only assume this because Luke, Anakin and then Anakin as Vader get their right limbs cut off. Granted, I could be wrong, but you'd think that if that's their dominant hand, it would be "out there" more, with a higher chance of leaving it vunerable. Wouldn't you say?

Okay, so my point is this. If Anakin and Luke were in fact right-handed, most of their figures are wrong. The Saga Bespin Luke and the Tatooine Attack Anakin show this... Because if you look at how they hold a saber with two hands, their left hand(s) is/are always on the top of the saber (I tried having Luke's right hand be on top, but it wouldn't hold and the hand kept trying to pop out). But if you're right-handed, your right hand will be above your left. This gives you more control over what whatever you're using. I mean, try it. Try moving a toy lightsaber around with a reverse grip - it's kinda weird :p.

This is no big deal, and in fact, I could be wrong and Luke and his dad were both left-handed, anyway. I just noticed this one day playing with the Bespin Luke and looking at a Star Wars poster that showed the Bespin Duel (it's from the Sith poster...showing all the major duels so far).
It just seems to me that Hasbro really isn't paying attention to detail...even if this is a really, really, really small detail. Wake up, Hasbro! You really dropped the ball! :p

End...

Fulit
12-20-2002, 02:36 PM
I'm right-handed, and I regularly hold lightsaber duels with my son, and my right hand is below my left in my grip on the saber handle. My grip has always been this way, be it on a baseball bat or, god forbid, a golf club. Speaking from a saber-fighting point of view, the grip towards the lower part of the handle enables me to let go w/ my left hand and twirl with my favorite hand, the one I have better control over. Bear in mind, this is just me.

As for the consistency in any figure holding any kind of weapon in the correct hand or posture, I gave up long ago. Any discrepancies in my displays are attributed to "mirror image"

Are you right or left handed? :)

Lman316
12-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
Are you right or left handed? :)

I'm right-handed. And when I'm playing around with a lightsaber, my right hand is always above my left. I don't have much control when I try it the other way because my left arm will come over my right arm and it just doesn't feel right.

JediTricks
12-20-2002, 03:25 PM
When you look at the movies, the right hand is above the left on the hilt. As to why the figures can't do this, I think it's just bad designing. Mega Obi-Wan is the same way, it takes a lot of effort to get him to hold his saber this way because he's designed left over right. Since there haven't been many 2-handed saber-holding figs in the Star Wars line until recently, I guess the problem is the designers aren't thinking about that issue.

For me, I absolutely refuse to have a figure hold his lightsaber left over right if he can hold the hilt 2-handed. I just counted, I have 16 figures that are holding their sabers in both hands, all of which are right over left, one of which is using a clear rubber band to do it (this is because he wasn't a 2-handed saber-holder to begin with though, Luke w/ blastshield).

Jargo
12-20-2002, 07:07 PM
But a saber sword is a one handed weapon. Something the size of a broadsword which would be a huge lightsaber BTW would be held two handed. Maul's saber with one blade ignited is more the size of a saber needing two hands. It's daft to use two hands, it limits flexibility and hinders movement. Your arms get in the way of your sight lines. One handed duelling is more effective. Gives you more manoeverability. The only time you'd need two hands would be to block a ferocious attacking volley of blows from above. I could understand padawans using two hands because they lack the skills of a jedi master but for those masters to use the same two handed approach just seems amateur to me.

Oh, and i'm ambidextrous with a saber, doesn't make a difference which way i hold the hilt.

Lman316
12-20-2002, 10:50 PM
I don't see it that way, EJ. I think holding a weapon (lightsaber or samurai sword, etc.) is based on preference and control.

If you look at the duels in the Star Wars movies, most wielders used two hands...unless they were showing off (ex. Vader at Bespin) or that was their personal fighting style (ex. Dooku...as he uses a fencing-type technique). But even in ROTJ, Vader used two hands, and in everything else Luke used two hands, Obi-Wan used two hands, Qui-Gon used two hands and so did Anakin (when he didn't have two sabers to deal with :D).
Using two hands gives you more control over the weapon. Only using one would greater increase a chance of it getting knocked from your hand, or leaving you open to injury...but that's just how I see it. :D

But on the figures, I just thought it was weird. I do think that we should get a few more figures that can actually hold a weapon with two hands...the articulation should be there...and as most of us have said before, they could definitely drop these useless action features and give us some more movement :)

End...

Jargo
12-21-2002, 07:25 AM
As far as figures go, I suppose the articulation should allow for more than one pose, two or one hand. But that would entail several points of articulation in both arms to achieve the right sort of pose, ball joint shoulder, bicep cut, elbow and wrist.

As for real world human duelling, using the one arm does leave you open to having your arm cut off a la Anakain but he was being impetuous and not in control. One arm duelling means you face your opponent from a more sideways stance leaving less of a target to hit, you have more speed of movement in your arm if you only use the one, Dooku's style is much more effective for the fencing approach, it's faster and cleaner, the hacking/slashing approach is crude and blunt and takes up too much energy, it's hard to recover from that fast enough to parry a counter attack, slicing and thrusting is more energy saving and allows you to make a faster recovery for the next move. The fancy moves of the Jedi would not really work if the sabers were real. Those things would end up damaging the user more than the opponent. That parry over the shoulder with the saber pointing down the back towars the ground in theory works but in actuality would mean Jedi slicing their own legs off than anything else. The Jedi costumes would have got in the way too with all that fabric around the shoulders and especially with cloaks or skirts in the case of the lady jedi like Luminara and bariss Offee.
I'll admit I'm not an expert and i accept any counter arguments but i diod study sword fighting while at Theater school, I've used more than one type of sword on several occasions for choreographed fights, even then the two handed approach seemed clumsy and awkward. Like I say, larger swords or weapons with bigger hilts would require two hands but the small light hilts of the Jedi weapons really don't need it.

But if it looks meaner then I can see why people might like it better, more imposing. In a figure it looks more like the character is using the thing rather than simply holding it out for inspection. :) It's all down to taste at the end of the day isn't it?

JangoFart
12-21-2002, 09:08 AM
Funny you should mention this. The inaccuracy of having a Luke, Anakin, Vader, who-have-you, with some goofy right hand with the left meant to hold their saber has been a thorn in my side for some time. The soft-goods EP1 Obi-Wan also comes to mind, too. And, while I'm at it, the Saga Mace deluxe's goofy force powers are with his saber hand, not his free hand. (Or, what should be his free hand.)

Of all the "little" things that get to me, this has consistently bothered me the most.

J

mista_carrot
12-21-2002, 06:59 PM
My Bespin Luke holds his lightsaber very well with his right hand, both single-handed and double.

Darth Sidious
12-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Hmm...Well, when it comes to figures I like to have enough articulation so they can hold the saber in a variety of ways. When I am fighting, I hold the saber with one hand all the time. I can practically annihalate about 4 or 5 of my friends (All of them against me at one time) with my technique. I like elegant, precise, refined movements.

JediTricks
12-22-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by mista_carrot
My Bespin Luke holds his lightsaber very well with his right hand, both single-handed and double. Do you have the plastic peg hand or magnet hand? That may make a difference, mine is the magnet w/out paint and I too can get a fairly decent "attack" 2-handed pose and a passable "standing" 2-handed pose out of my Bespin Luke (I say "passable" because it's too close to the body when it's in front of the fig and the right hand is off at a bit of an angle). However, I have had plenty of other figs that are designed for 2-handed poses but can't accept right-over-left.

187-Maul
12-22-2002, 10:56 AM
I currently have 10 jedis/sith posed in a two-handed sabergrip and all of them have the right hand over the left, although I didn't really do that on purpose, which means that they were designed to too
as with holding a saber myself, I prefer right over left too