PDA

View Full Version : For Anyone Who Has The New Electronic Lightsabers...

Lman316
12-20-2002, 05:30 PM
I want an orange one...at least I think I want one. But for some things (especially when I hear a few bad opinions on an item) I like to check things out here first. Get all the info on it...

So, what I would like to know is: are any of them worth it? I heard that the new ones were short and that they were disappointing comparing them to older POTF2 sabers.
But my KB Toy Works has the new ones (Mace's, orange and green) marked down to $17.99 each (which I believe is better than Wal*Mart by about $2), but I hesistated this evening. That was probably a mistake because I bet it won't be there tomorrow, but if I get this info I can try to find it down the road.
Any comments?

End...

Dar Basra
12-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Well, if you want a true-to-movie replica, don't get them, but if you are looking at them as a toy, why not? It's not as if Hasbo's going to say "Oh well, we've disappointed the purists ... let's remake the whole darn line, eh?" So if you want a light-up lightsaber to play with, there's really not much sense in waiting for something better to come along.

My son could not care less that they are not the most accurate - he has a whale of a time playing with them (then again, he's only 2.5). We have Anakin's, Obi-Wan's, Dooku's, Kit's, Maul's and Mace's (the last one I haven't given him yet). I decided not to get the orange because I simply don't recall any orange ones in the movies (not to mention that we already had more than enough!!!). But to hear my little boy asking me "New lightsaber???" was obviously something I couldn't resist very often.

And for what it's worth, my wife likes Kit's green one best, as it seems to glow better.

(PS - of course, a belt clip would have been nice - I think someone said there is one on Yoda's, which I haven't seen yet).

Lman316
12-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Oh, I don't care about accuracy when it comes to these...I do want it just as a toy - something to play around with.
But what I'm concerned with is how it looks, how it sounds, how long it is. I've just heard some people say that the blades are shorter than, say, the POTF2 Darth Vader electronic lightsaber released a few years ago. If it's going to be tiny, I'll just stick with the non-electronic ones that I have. But if it's of decent size and quality (my Vader lightsaber cracked :() I'll pick it up.

Thanks for responding though :D.

End...

Jayspawn
12-21-2002, 10:49 AM
I think the new lightsabers are cool. Especially the orange and purple. I think they are worth it.

THE Slayer
12-21-2002, 10:23 PM
They're longer than those regular ones hanging on the pegs, they sound great too, and can be lots of fun in the dark.

Mace Windex
12-21-2002, 10:56 PM
I actually think one of the best sabers around for the money is the Anakin Jedi training saber. Not only is the size fairly accurate, it has cool sounds and can even clip to a belt. Of course, the blade doesn't fully retract but I guess we can't have it all. Anyone know why most of the sabers are so large? I mean, these things are even big for adults and they are made for kids!! What's up with that?
MAce

otisdodge
12-22-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Mace Windex
I actually think one of the best sabers around for the money is the Anakin Jedi training saber. Not only is the size fairly accurate, it has cool sounds and can even clip to a belt. Of course, the blade doesn't fully retract but I guess we can't have it all. Anyone know why most of the sabers are so large? I mean, these things are even big for adults and they are made for kids!! What's up with that?
MAce

How short are you? I am pretty short and they're not to my scale. I think they are aimed at about ten-year olds, like my brother, and the scale is perfect for him.

I personally was disappointed that we didn't get new sculpts on the orange and green. I haven't checked for sure (not side-by-side anyway), but they appear to be re-painted Qui-Gonn lightsabres. I was sorta disappointed that the Windu hilt was the Ep 1 version, but then again, if you count the rubies edition, then we got both versions in one year. Not bad.

I think the orange was an attempt to recreate the yellow sabre that Plo Koon had in POTJ. I still think it is too bad that there wasn't more variety in blade color in Ep 2.

Bottom line--they are cool. I recommend buying any and all lightsabres. I can't wait for Yoda's!

JediTricks
12-22-2002, 05:53 AM
The electronic hilts have been too fat since the POTF2 sabers because they have to hold 2 C-cell batteries, be tough enough to take a beating, and have enough space to mold the details in. I just compared my metal Luke ROTJ saber hilt to my Hasbro Luke ROTJ saber hilt and while the lengths are fairly close, the widths are very different with the Hasbro saber being approximately 1/3rd bigger which gives it that chunky feeling.