PDA

View Full Version : and i thought star wars fans were bad...

derek
12-20-2002, 10:31 PM
just when i thought we were the only ones to complain about how our beloved trilogy has been corrupted by a director who has lost touch, i discovered this Lord of the Rings forum whose members claim peter jackson is the devil himself and has forever ruined tolkein's masterworks. one guy even says he cried while watching Fellowship of the Ring because it was so bad.

click on this link, and anytime anyone feels some are too critical of lucas' prequils, just keep some of these folks in mind........after reading some of their posts, one would think jackson made sauron the good guy!

http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1191

QLD
12-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Yeah, those guys are total morons. Of course, the difference being that the LOTR movies are actually good, as ooposed to the prequels. ;)

Beast
12-20-2002, 10:45 PM
Yeah. I've read some pretty sad things from obvious Tolkien snobs about how the movies are an abomination. Apperantly they fail to realize that the written word and the moving picture are two seperate entities. The movies could never fit everything from the books into them.

But they do a good job of capturing the essence. And most people that fall in love with the movies, will actually end up reading the novels if they haven't already. Isn't that a good thing, to get a new generation intrested into reading the novels.

I love how the one guy comments about the Balrog shouldn't have wings. While it doesn't have wings in Lord of the Rings novels. Tolkien did include them on a Balrog that appears in another Middle-Earth book. So that argument is moot.

It's obvious that Peter Jackson, Ian McKellan, and especially Christopher Lee are huge Tolkien fans. If you listen to the audio commentary they even say that they helped some of the scenes more closely mirror the novels. Hell, Christopher Lee states that he reads the books once a year. I doubt he would do the film, if he felt that they were "raping" Tolkien's vision. :p :)

Just wait til Peter Jackson announces that he plans to do the prequel, "The Hobbit". Then you'll hear the same prequel sucks complaints leveled at "The Hobbit", that your hearing for Star Wars now. They will start complaining it's kiddy and silly. Hello, read "The Hobbit" sometime, it's far less complex and more for kids, then LOTR's. After all, Tolkien did write "The Hobbit", with children in mind. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
12-21-2002, 01:51 AM
Man, some of those folks need to take a long, loooong break, chill with some Stephen King or Dr. Suess or something. I love LotR too, but jeeze Louise...

JON9000
12-21-2002, 03:18 AM
I don't know that the Hobbit would work as cinema. It is extremely episodic.

Although I suppose I thought the same of LOTR, especially FOTR.

Exhaust Port
12-21-2002, 03:33 AM
Snobs JJB is the correct word for these folks. These people would get in an argument with JRR Tolkien himself about what the books meant. To fans/admirers like this, there is no better way to show ones love for a genre by pointing out how inaccurate/wrong others are. "I'm a bigger fan because your wrong or not 100% true to my vision."

SW has their share of these types of fans as well which most fans just roll there eyes at. SW is slightly different in that the prequal movies aren't based on books but a man's vision. Reading those posts sheds a new view on how absurd SW can be expecially those that love being in the limelight as a "ney-sayer." (did I spell that right?)

LTBasker
12-21-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Hell, Christopher Lee states that he reads the books once a year. I doubt he would do the film, if he felt that they were "raping" Tolkien's vision. :p :)

IMDb.com also states that Lee is the only one working on the films that's actually met Tolkien.

Eh, no one's forcing them to watch the films, if they don't like them then they can go back to reading the books.

Bobajames
12-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by the guy on the lotr site
The trip to Bree was in 45 minutes or so...not 1.30 like it should've been.

JEEZZZZ!!!! the movie was already 3 hours long! how long can an audience sit in one theater anyways?

sith_killer_99
12-21-2002, 01:30 PM
I want the South Park Super Deluxe Extended Version of Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring with 12 hours of extra footage.;)

But I will settle for the new box set with 1/2 hour of extra footage.

BTW, did these guys even touch on the extended vesion?

Jargo
12-21-2002, 06:35 PM
One man's meat is another man's poison. They're geeks we're geeks. Then we go to war and there's no more geeks left because one of us has the detonator that will activate the worlds supply of nuclear weapons from anywhere in the world because being a geek means being a science and technology genius too. Which means if you upset a geek enough the world will cease to be so everyone should sto fighting right now and save the world from imminent danger....... :crazed:

Actually, the geekiest group IMO is the LEGO brigade that catalogs each brick in each set and enthuse on the merits of one brick versus another. Now those sort of geeks really do need to get out more. A set versus a set i could understand and those sort of people are fine but once you start to take the sets apart and marvel at the engineering of one small tiny piece and write essays on the virtues of a particular color brick and how it's changed the face of LEGO forever. And the comments about how LEGO have completely ruined the products for all eternity by using brown and tan and colors that are not green, blue, yellow, red, white, black, grey. The inclusion of purple and orange LEGO bricks is blasphemy to some. . .

One man's meat is another mans poison I hate Tolkien. Or rather his works. They just all seem grey and covered with a film of ancient dust. Some people like that sort of thing and will cling to the dusty greyness because it says safe and stable. blowing the cobwebs and dust away and opening the books to shed new light on them is going to ruffle a few feathers among the grey dust lovers. They'll be fine and quieten down in a few years when the dust settles again.
Peter Jackson, films, battles and dwarves and elves and things in swamps and wizards with pointy hats and beards. Where's the jokes? Is LOTR or FOTR funny? if not I won't bother with it. I'll watch Willow instead.... :stupid: Willow has pigs in it. Pigs are cool. Do LOTR or FOTR have pigs in them by any chance? I'd give them a go perhaps if there's pigs in them. Oh, but i could just watch time bandits again because that's funny, it's got pigs in it and dwarves nad wizards and Robin hood and the Titanic and a giant and an ogre... everything that Tolkien books have and more really. Nah, stuff the tolkien i'll take the Time bandits any day.

InsaneJediGirl
12-21-2002, 08:36 PM
Merry and Piipen are just bumbeling fools

Of course they are!Anyone who has read the books knows they are idiots,although do get more intelligent in The Two Towers.I love the agruement about the trip to Bree.Some guy wanted it to be 1 hour 30 minutes long,thats an entire movie for a road trip:D:rolleyes:These guys make us look bad.

For the record,I thought the LOTR movies were great(and I have read the books more than once!),of course you can't get everything correct in the movie,there isnt enough time for most of the content.:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

stillakid
12-21-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Actually, the geekiest group IMO is the LEGO brigade that catalogs each brick in each set and enthuse on the merits of one brick versus another. Now those sort of geeks really do need to get out more. A set versus a set i could understand and those sort of people are fine but once you start to take the sets apart and marvel at the engineering of one small tiny piece and write essays on the virtues of a particular color brick and how it's changed the face of LEGO forever. And the comments about how LEGO have completely ruined the products for all eternity by using brown and tan and colors that are not green, blue, yellow, red, white, black, grey. The inclusion of purple and orange LEGO bricks is blasphemy to some. . .

Is that for real? :eek: Can you post a link? I'd like to check that out sometime.

I'm not much of a LOTR fan, so I don't have much to contribute specifically to the topic. In terms of adaptation, though, it is important for fans of literature to comprehend the concept of "adaptation." Very few books are written in such a way as to translate directly to screen.

For example, DUNE. For most fans of the books, the Lynch version in the '80s was an abomination. It was understood that certain things needed to be altered for this expansive story to fit into a theatrical release, but some stuff was added that altered major plot points. It resembled DUNE, but it wasn't the same story in the end. However, the newer version (done last year I believe) is a better reflection of what that story was trying to convey. Sadly limited by budget, it fell short visually of the story's potential, but the essence of the book was in there.

I haven't read the Tolkein books, but the movie (I've only seen the first so far) wasn't good enough to compel me to want to delve any further into it.

sith_killer_99
12-21-2002, 10:06 PM
In order to properly do the books you are probably looking at something along the lines of "Taken"!

If they did a 20 hour adaptation of each novel we would be looking at 60 hours of film. Not to mention another 20 hours for "The Hobbit".

Could it be done? Yes.

Will it ever be done? I doubt it.

First of all it would be cost prohibitive. Why spend all that time and money to make a film that can never be seen in the theaters? It would never make as much money as the theatrical release.

derek
12-22-2002, 01:04 AM
Where's the jokes? Is LOTR or FOTR funny? if not I won't bother with it. I'll watch Willow instead.... Willow has pigs in it. Pigs are cool. Do LOTR or FOTR have pigs in them by any chance? I'd give them a go perhaps if there's pigs in them.

the expanded DVD of fellowship of the ring has a pig in it.:)
and the two towers had quite a few funny bits involving gimli the dwarf and gollum.

i don't see how anyone could hate these movies. if they don't rank among one's personal favorites, i could understand that, but they should be seen at least once.

i just got my brother to watch fellowship of the ring today, and he was suprised at how some of the characters resembled those in star wars. he kept calling gandalf "obi-wan";)

Emperor Howdy
12-22-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Is that for real? :eek: Can you post a link? I'd like to check that out sometime.

Sure: www.jeditricks.com :p

Just kidding, JT! :D

2-1B
12-22-2002, 02:33 AM
Howdy, that link you posted doesn't work. :confused:

I read the title of this thread and it hit close to home even though it isn't about what I thought it would be -

Last weekend I saw Star Trek Nemesis and this weekend I saw The Two Towers.
"And I thought Star Wars fans were bad . . . "
On BOTH occassions I had to deal with fantatics of each respective series loitering around the theater premises in full costumes, putting on displays and offering info on how to join their clubs. Middle aged female Trekkies holding a trivia contest against the will of many in attendance? No thanks . . . :dead:

Note: that was not a rant against any particular group of fans, rather everyone who pretends it's Halloween . . . when it isn't. :p

JediTricks
12-22-2002, 04:23 AM
Hmm... which self-proclaimed "emperor" to ban first? :D

Jargo
12-22-2002, 05:51 AM
Y'know i was just teasing don't you? You do, right? See hahahaha funny hahahaha. :D :stupid: :rolleyes: :p

Actually my own brother is a LEGO nut. He holds sales of old LEGO bricks and stuff. Goes to LEGO conventins and LEGO building clubs and stuff. His house is wall to wall LEGO literally since he buys bulk on almost every item. You're talking serious LEGO fruitcake nutter lunatic. I like LEGO, I like to build with it and then I dismantle it all and put it all away again for six months. It's good stuff but it's just plastic bricks - get a grip Bro' for god's sake! He moved house because he didn't have storage for all his LEGO. Most of which sits in huge tubs or still in the boxes and I walked into one room that was wall to wall minifigs. A sea of them all stuck onto baseplates and laid out like a carpet, like an art installation or something. My brother is a serious case fore being commited to an asylum somewhere. He needs therapy.
I on the other hand am obsessed with SW. Not the movies so much, but the toys. I've lost friends becausee i can't seem to have a conversation without mentioning something hasbro and toy related. I don't even know I'm doing it but the conversation will just migrate to my toys. If we go out in the car somewhere I'm starting to get a twisting feeling in my stomach if we pass a toystore and don't stop. God knows why since i have everything already. So i'm a geek without ever feeling it creep upon me. I hope to regain some sense of normality once the goldrush is dead after hasbro gives up making toys for the star wars line. That's like six years away so it's gonna be a bumpy ride as i fight my geekiness and seek help from loved ones with this terrible malady. Aversion therapy didn't work I still bought gimmicked toys even though I said I hated them. I still went out and bought multiple figures of the same character. It's a disease being a collector or a fan of something. It's a malaise, it oozes inside you and eats you up slowly until you turn in on yourself and become some sad shambling freak that drools whenever anything even remotely connected to your obsession is mentioned. It makes you prone to mood swings and flash rages are common. It makes you selfish and pushy and arrogant. It's time to sdtart up rehab clinics for fans and collectors, a help line for those desperately in need of support as they struggle with self will about buying a re-issue of a re-issue in lurid colors or with just that one extra second of footage added to the super deluxe megabucks box set DVD with hologram cover and badly printed booklet that's all of four pages long. We need someone to watch over us like guardian angels lest we fall prey to the disease of fandom.

I got help from one source that said if I wanted to cure my figure buying shopping frenzies I needed to "occupy my time with something else that took all my concentration". I replied, "What about LEGO then.....?" :crazed:

JediTricks
12-22-2002, 06:03 AM
Well, looks like I have my answer. ;) :evil: :D

Seriously though, it's all the same to me, I don't see why Star Wars fans need to battle it out with Trekkies or LOTR fans or even LEGO fans -- it's all a love of something non-essential in our lives, just different genres. I guess it could stem from the need to not feel like the bottom of the social heap by picking on others, but in the end we're all just individuals with our own levels of dedication. I'm glad these LOTR fans are finally getting something mainstream out of their fandom.

Sports fans just sicken me though, that doesn't make sense at all. :D :crazed: (It's a joke son, yuh missed it, cruelty finishing off a post about tolerance, it's irony m'boy. :p)

mabudonicus
12-22-2002, 09:58 AM
hmmmm.. no-one's mentioned Marvel fans yet...
THAT's gotta be the oddest bunch... depending on when fans of the marvel universe got into it, each fan has a whole different sense of the history...
I mean, used to be Spider man fans liked Spider man comics, but I've got a few buddies who take the animated series as the source material, and there's no doubt a bunch of fans who start with the film....
I guess it's okay, cause the way Marvel keeps rewriting the whole universe, EVERYONE's right.....
The most gullible fans ever are STANSE fans though.. some nights, they get too goofed up on mouse droids and can't go on, so the management just gets 5 guys to don the costumes and go onstage while prerecorded music plays... on their "Power of the STANSE" tour 98-99, the actual band didn't play a single gig.....
And how bout the fact that they've been doing "re-union" shows for going on 17 years now, and selling the same "limited edition" tour shirts for about the same length of time.....
AHHHHH, fans:):):):)
GO LEAFS GO!!! THIS IS THE YEAR!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!