PDA

View Full Version : the best and the worst AF ship

sergiurusu
12-21-2002, 02:30 AM
Which do you think are the best and the worst AF (not MM) ships/figures?

Best: Defender, Falcon

Worst: MTT

Glitch
12-21-2002, 02:41 AM
Don't be slammin' my MTT!!!

Especially since EVERYONE knows the Cloud Car is the worst AF.

To add insult to injury, you put the TIE Defender as the best....

What have I done to deserve this?

:crazed:

jeddah
12-21-2002, 09:28 AM
Amongst the best
Republic Cruiser - Radiant #
Queen Amidala's Royal Starship

The worst
B-wing
Tydirium
Rancor

jeddah - predictable as hell ;)

Jayspawn
12-21-2002, 02:16 PM
I don't have too many, but I'd say...

BEST: Slave 1 and Millennium Falcon

WORST: (I can't really think of one that was really bad)

JediTricks
12-21-2002, 05:58 PM
I too like the MTT, it's fairly accurate and opens like the one in the movie.

As for WORST, it'd be the Solar Sailer, but if we're talking pre-Ep 2, then it'd be the Flash Speeder.

Glitch, I don't think the Cloud Car is the worst, it's fairly accurate (if a little dull), certainly more so than the T-16.

I have a lot of favorites, but I'd have to say the Virago is up at the top of that list.

SWAFMAN
12-22-2002, 12:28 AM
So, so many favorites....
A-Wing
TIE Interceptor
Falcon (Saga paint for best appreciation of details)
AT-ST
X-Wing (Toyfare Dagobah version)
All 3 Aliens AFs
All the Starship Troopers AFs (bugs included)
EP1 Droid Control Ship
EP1 Droid Fighter
EP1 Trade Fed Tank
EP2/Saga AT-TE
and many more....

Least favorites
Sail Barge (sorry, all you jabbarge fans)
E-Wing (I don't care how "rare" or "collectible" it is, I think it's boring... but I'm still looking for an opener of it!)
EP1 Naboo Fighter
EP1 Republic Cruiser
EP1 Gungan Sub (mainly because the "supplies" don't come out)
Saga Vader TIE
EP2/Saga Solar Sailer (a.k.a. Barbarella's IUD)
EP1 Flash Speeder (too large next to Luke's speeder & Lars family speeder)

No offense intended to anyone.....
I still love to collect, display and play with them all.

LTBasker
12-22-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Glitch

I dunno, when I was younger I had alot of fun putting the Cloud Car in "peril" and having to have Lobot be ordered to climb outside and repair the Cloud Car via the revealable maintainence area. :D

I'm not really gonna base these off of detail POVs because truly they are all very awesomely detailed.. Pre-Hasbro AF of course. :)
Best:
X-wing - Classic and just overall fun.
Y-wing - Pull-out maintainence cylinder was a nice ship-to-ship battering ram :D)
Snowspeeder - Just frickin fun with Snow. :)
TIE Interceptor - The pull-out mainainence pieces really could make it look more intimidating)
Cloud Car - Two cockpits seperated unlike the Snowspeeder's design, revealable maintainence panel, and retractable landing gear, AND it came with two figures!

Worst:
Virago - From a collector POV it was awesome, and I agree it is. But playing with it was tough, sure all the moving parts were sweet but..no landing gear? :cry: Also the slide-out cockpit seat that had extra space in the back could fit Guri with Xizor piloting, but it was a pain to get Guri in... I recently found out that when you have her in there for a long while (like oh, 5+ years) that when you take her out and try to put her back, she can be quite fragile..and broke. I have a back-up from the SOTE Battle pack though.

Gian Speeder - It's fun, but overpriced and the lack of extra Naboo Soldiers elsewhere made it hard to enjoy the set to it's full potential.

TIE Fighter - Classic and accurate but overall not very exciting after the TIE Interceptor and it's pull-out maintainence cylinders to give it more wing span intimidation. What was the point of the fold-down thruster...?

My "worst" aren't really that bad per se, but just compared to the other ships they just really weren't that much after detail.

sergiurusu
12-22-2002, 03:38 AM
'Don't be slammin' my MTT!!!
To add insult to injury, you put the TIE Defender as the best....
What have I done to deserve this?'

This is not meant to hurt you, man. I understand you worked hard for the MTT. Sorry Glitch, but it's my opinion and hope I can have an opinion. If not PLMK... Then I'll move out of here the same way I came in...

sergiurusu
12-22-2002, 03:42 AM
'I recently found out that when you have her in there for a long while (like oh, 5+ years) that when you take her out and try to put her back, she can be quite fragile..and broke.'

Use a little bit of oil. I encountered the same problem. I use some gun oil for the pilots staying too long bended in their cokpits

JediTricks
12-22-2002, 06:36 AM
Virago is a space combat vessel, like the TIEs, it has no landing gear because it's not supposed to land, it is supposed to dock with some sort of facility. Heck, the T-16 has no landing gear and we've SEEN it on the ground. :D I don't like the big fake-o landing feet we got with ships like the Republic Cruiser, Rebel Corvette, and Snowspeeder (sorry, but I hated that foot so much I shaved it off one of mine!), if it's not accurate it shouldn't be there unless it can fold totally out of sight.

I had no idea people put 2 figures in that ship, mine still has the same Xizor figure inside from when I first bought it but comes out without trouble.

The TIE Fighter isn't even all that accurate, the wings should be taller. :crazed:

jeddah
12-22-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I don't like the big fake-o landing feet we got with ships like the Republic Cruiser, Rebel Corvette...

As John Crichton would say "Can I get a Hell yeah!?!"

Compare the coola ma lullah landing gear of the Chrome RS - and hopefully the G-type from the opening from AOTC when it's prodcued (that landing-gear-down-scene is sooooo cool) and you can see the effort that is required.

BUT! Does this mean they'll not make the Fugeefreighter from AOTCs? :cry: I'm still waiting for the Retublic.

jeddah
(and Moya and Talyn, for that matter)

JediTricks
12-24-2002, 06:53 AM
I wouldn't buy the refugee freighter as an AF anyway. ;) An MM? Definitely, but I can't picture an AF version being anything but dullsville... and dullsville is the koo-koo-kookiest.

good shot jansen
12-24-2002, 08:26 AM
i love all the larger passenger carrying ships, tantive, and radiant. even the fed control ship is cool when played with the other two. the three of em remind me of all the different cruise ships docked here at the port of miami. each one belongs to a different intergalactic cruise company, offering a pleasant 4 day cruise of the cellestial seas.

the droid control ship is the queen of the galaxies, it's curved circular shape offers marvelous vistas from every state room. no interior accomodations, every room gets a view! :)

the tantive offers the greatest amount of on ship recreational activities, a favorite past time of it's paying customers are the blasters mounted top and bottom which offer several different varients of the long time sea faring tradition of playing skeet.

the radient, the older of the three ships is due for a complete dry dock (gravity dock actually), overhaul, as it can't compete with the newer and more luxureous liners which all compete for the hard earned credits of the working masses of the republic.

jeddah darling, i'm with you, we need the retublic as well as the fugeefreighter.

as fer the virago, i've always used the 4 points at the tip of it's wings as the ships landing gear. as the ships cockpit module can be pulled freee of the fusalage in it;s entirety, i use that as a sort of vehicle in itself. xizor lands the virago in vertical position, then flys out of the ship in the cockpit module to get where ever he needs to get locally, in rag top style i might add. once done with his personal business, he flys the cockpit module back into it's docking position in the virago, and the ship then takes off vertically. works for me!

the cloud car has always been used as a search and rescue vehicle in the jansen galaxy. whenever an x, y, b,e or any other type of republic wing has been shot down, the cloud cars are dispatcehd with only one pilot, to seek out the downed ship. once found, the cloud car lands, picks up the surviving pilot, places him in the unoccupied pod, and off he goes to be worked on by twoonebee, to be brought back to tip top flight status!

as far as i'm concerened, the flash speeder was galliantly saved from worst af status with the release of the af theed palace playset. the damaged speeder on the side of the palace works so well with the af vehicle version, that it makes the flash a welcome (if not needed)af addition when defending the queens crib.

woist af-fer, would have to be the t-16. that mounted cannon is the pits, it ruins the whole vehicle.

swaficus, i need step by step instructions from you, so that i can perform the same custom work you did on the hopper. your great custom work rescues the womp rat banger from worst ship status!

JediTricks
12-27-2002, 10:18 PM
GSJ, ever thought about paiting a Cloud Car blue to match the original ESB artwork? That'd also make a good rescue vehicle color I think.

I just realized that either I don't have the AF Theed Palace set or I never opened it (the latter of which is far from unlikely, as I have a few E1 MM items I got on super sale that I never opened like the MTT transforming playset, the 3 podracer tracks, and other odds & ends), I've been confusing it with the MM Theed Palace Assault set, so that explains why I don't know squat about this crashed speeder.

cloneemperor
12-29-2002, 06:39 AM
I never could find the Theed Palace set. it is among six Episode 1 AF sets that I couldn't find and haven't had the money for on Ebay.

In my opinion, the X-Wing is one of the best sets because it looks so much like the ones in the movies, and it has a high playability rating.

I thought the Y-Wing was one if the worst because it didn't look as much like the one in the movies, and it wasn't very playable.

Glitch
12-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Sergiurusu,

I was only messin' with ya. No offense taken. I just have a soft spot in my heart (and head) for the MTT since it was the first Episode 1 AF that I designed. I also have some really cool memories about how the final toy came about after several uninformed decisions were made on my part to get it right, but that's another story.... :)

Anyway....

I've already covered my top five favorite AF's in the other thread, so here goes my five least favorite...

5. Cloud Car: My problem with this AF is one of scale and proportion. I LOVED the ship in ESB - very Art Deco! In fact, it is one of my favorite designs ever, but when it had to be scaled up to give it "perceived value," and the necessary secondary corrections were not made in order to make it more accurate (elimination of the flattened top area around cockpit and a proposed switch to softer, more pliable, plastic to thin down the engine bridge), it was ultimately a huge disappointment in my view.

4. Flash Speeder: Again, "perceived value" size increase, someone's INSISTENCE on an out of proportion missile launcher, and the never functional, but constantly incorporated, "offset" wheels make this a turd of an AF. A clear stand-out as the worst Episode 1 AF vehicle.

3. The Death Star: I know it was never tooled or released, but this thing was BAD! Trust me! It had LAME features, the worst "detail" EVER seen on an AF, and it was uninspired and boring. It was literally a ball that shot a missile out of a rubber nipple. Yes, for some reason the dish was rubber. Trust me, you guys are lucky to have never seen this "thing" in person. :(

2. X-wing Fighter: I know this will be an unpopular choice, but the bad, unfortunately, far outweighs the good on this one. I do like the fact that the scale is accurate, but that's where the compliments stop.

In the early days, rather than using official ILM/LFL references, the designers of the first wave of vehicles used one of those "technical manuals" published by Starlog magazine as the basis for their control drawings - inaccuracies and all. This is the reason behind the HORRIBLY misshaped fuselage. From the side view, it should start thin and get wider just beyond the cockpit. On the AF ship, it starts fat, and gets thinner after the cockpit. Compare the profiles and you will see what I'm talking about. It is SO off. Combine this with the shortened set of rear engines for "safety concerns" (someone was afraid a child would sit on it if it could stand nose up), and you get a fouled up version of a ship that should have been simple beyond belief.

How can you mess up an X-Wing fighter - THE DEFINING Star Wars ship? Well, now we know...

1. ANYTHING "Expanded Universe" Three way tie (TIE Defender, E-wing, Virago): Sorry, but if it was not in the movies, it's not Star Wars. The only reason they existed was because we ran dry on the cool ships that were featured in the films.

On top of this, the designs are lazy and uninspired. It's like they said," Hey, let's take the solar panels from the TIE Interceptor, turn them outward, and since three is more than two, it can have three panels!" Oh brother... They took parts of cool ships and "Frankenstiened" them together to make... something. Why not take the treads of a Sandcrawler, add them to an AT-AT, throw on the sail from Jabba's Sail Barge, and pitch in the dish array from the Millennium Falcon?

One thing I have always loved about the designs of the Rebel fighters is that they all have their own VERY unique look. NOTHING was similar between the X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, and the B-Wing. They all have their own personality. That was until we were introduced the the X-Wing's dog-faced sibling, the E-wing. It looks like an X-wing minus everything that made the X-wing cool. No moving wings, no exposed R2 unit, no grace, it's fat, it has bad breath, no friends, and it sits at home alone every Saturday night.

It's like when you see a brother or sister of a celebrity that "kinda" looks like their famous sibling, but something is just very wrong.

The E-wing is the equivalent to Donnel Gibson - the dim looking brother of Mel Gibson.

I don't have much to say about the Virago except that it looks like it belongs in anime more than Star Wars. It's like something that has been folded out of Origami paper rather than a spaceship.

Oh well, that's just the way I see it....

P.S. I obviously would have mentioned the Solar Sail, but anything by Hasbro fails to qualify as Action Fleet, and is therefore ineligible from competition.

jeddah
12-30-2002, 09:19 PM
I actually love you Glitch :D

I have to go now and stitch my sides up and take some painkillers. That was so true but so funny about EU :D

jeddah

EDIT: Had to stitch my SIDES up, not my DIES :rolleyes:

Jedi Idej
12-31-2002, 02:00 AM
Favorite ship
So hard to choose. Probably the Falcon, with the Slave-1 coming a close second. The Falcon is loaded with detail, has the nifty cockpit hatch that works a lot better than Hasbro/Kenner's ship, and even has the little hiding compartments. Those are the marks of AF.

Least favorite ship
Man, it's like having to choose from your kids; no matter how ugly one of 'em is, ya ain't gonna admit it. :D

Favorite figure
I'm impressed with the increased detail on the Neimoidians, but the Gamorrean Guard and especially Muftak really stand out.

Whoa! It does what?
I still get a chuckle from the Rancor's snack-n-poop feature.

I coulda been a contenda
AT-TE. What happened? So promising, yet missing the little things here-and-there that define AF, most glaring of which-- can't hold/seat mini-figs. Otherwise, the seats are a perfect size for grains of rice. :rolleyes:

Where are they now?
The neimoidian shuttle and pod top my list of prototypes I want to see made.