PDA

View Full Version : Goldmember features deactivated?

sith_killer_99
12-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Alright, I just rented "Austin Powers in Goldmember" on DVD.

Nice widescreen presentation. However there are a few things I really hate about this DVD.

1. No speed control! You have to chapter preview to go to a scene in the movie. The FF and REW buttons do not work! Why? This is absurd, lots of people like to FF or REW during a movie.

2. No pause feature! Again I ask why? Whenever I watch a movie I sometimes hit pause to go make a sandwich, chase down my kid, listen to my wife, etc. Now I have to hit stop and wait around for the DVD to load the spot where I left off.

3. Infinifilm is a travesty to DVDs! For those of you who have never seen this "Infinifilm" here is what it means to DVDs. No more bonus features menu for easy access to film features, such as videos, behind the scenes and out takes. Basicly you re-watch the whole film and when a feature pops up then you can watch it. But you have to re-watch the film.

So if I had to give a review on this DVD I would have to say...big thumbs down.

Has anyone else experienced problems like these? Are there any other DVD's without speed control or pause features? Why in God's name would anyone remove these features from a DVD?:eek:

Exhaust Port
12-21-2002, 08:42 PM
I didn't realize that it was possible for a DVD to block such common features such as Pause. That really sucks.

2-1B
12-22-2002, 12:51 AM
I've used FF on this DVD several times. :confused:

No bonus features menu? Just the other night, I went through and watched the Beyonce and Britney videos and the deleted stuff. It should all be organized under the "All Access Pass" and "Beyond the Movie" categories.

You don't have to rewatch the entire film, in fact I haven't even used the Infinifilm mode.

JediTricks
12-22-2002, 04:41 AM
Perhaps it's an incompatability with the DVD player. On my mom's player, we can't "follow the rabbit" on Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but it works fine on mine; none of these FF/Pause problems though.

sith_killer_99
12-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Ooops, I missed the "All Access Pass/Beyond The Movie", my bad, thanks for pointing that out.

But I still can't FF, REW or Pause. :(

I guess I'll have to try it on my computers DVD player. My home DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-A320 and I have never had any problems like this before.:confused:

mini-rock
12-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Just b/c your player hasn't had nay probs before doesn't mean it won't ever. My player (Toshiba SD-9200) does everything fine with the AP Goldmember DVD, but has problems loading all the Back to the Future discs. No player is "perfect".

As for the AP Goldmember DVD I think it's a fine disc. The video (480P on my 65" widescreen Mits) is excellent with the vibrant rich colors we've come to expect from the AP DVD's. The sound both in DD-EX and DTS-ES are excellent. Of course I prefer to watch it in DTS for the ultimate aural experience:D. Infinifilm I really don't care much about, but every studio has their gimmick, and someday I may check it out for a goof.:)

Beast
12-22-2002, 10:44 PM
Yep, it's an incompatability issue with your player. Atleast you can watch the disc. My Scary Movie disc won't play at all, unless I force it past the FBI warning screen. It locks up on that. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
12-23-2002, 12:01 AM
My Scary Movie disc won't play at all, unless I force it past the FBI warning screen. It locks up on that.

how do you force it past the FBI warning screen?
i have this same problem, with disc 6 of the x-files season one except mine freezes on the international copyright warning.

i've played this disc on three other players and it works fine, just not on mine.

Beast
12-23-2002, 12:24 AM
Doh, I opened my Scary Movie DVD and the instructions for forcing it past the lock-up are missing. I'll have to dig them up online again. I know it doesn't always work, and takes some fighting with it. Luckily it's not a movie I watch often. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
12-23-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yep, it's an incompatability issue with your player. Atleast you can watch the disc. My Scary Movie disc won't play at all, unless I force it past the FBI warning screen. It locks up on that. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Right. As the technology progresses these problems become more commom with older players. hat's ok though, it'll give me an excuse to get that friggin progressive scan mega changer.:D

Mandalorian Candidat
12-23-2002, 03:03 PM
I've also had some quirks with my DVD player. It'll usually play anything w/o a problem, but for some reason it won't popup the Sidious and Watto "move it along" features on disc 2 of the EP1 set. :confused:

JediTricks
12-24-2002, 03:36 AM
I picked up a copy of Our Man Flint and it locked up in the PS2. I took it home and played it on the Apex and it locked up in the same place. Upon visual inspection, it was clear that the disc was made improperly, there are obvious glue and warp lines in between the layers. Now I just have to find the receipt to get Target to exchange it for a working copy.

As for the lack of pause, FF, and RW, I know that some extra features documentaries won't let me FF, zoom, or do frame-by-frame. Perhaps the DVD player is interpretting a command on the disc wrong and doing something like this.

sith_killer_99
12-24-2002, 10:42 AM
Sound like it. I am fortunate that this is the first real problem I have had with my DVD player.

jjreason
12-24-2002, 10:57 AM
My DVD player (ps2 as well) locked up in the last reel of "The Importance of Being Earnest" both times we rented it. What a travesty....:rolleyes: :D