PDA

View Full Version : how did you start collecting Action Fleet?

sergiurusu
12-22-2002, 04:29 AM
I started in 2001 after my little cousin Roby had his car accident. I tried to find some toys for him and because he was a SW fan I tried to find SW toys.

It was pretty difficult to find SW toys in Romania. I found some Ep.1 action figures (some I used then to trade for other toys) and a few Ep1 Action Fleet battle packs (Sith Pursuit, Droid Ambush). He was very fond of this AF line.

Then searching the net I found some forums: thejawa and rebelscum and traded and bought AF toys. I bought most of them in pares: one for me one for my cousin. Roby said the AF line is the best he ever saw. And I agree. We have just a few other SW action figures (Imperial troops, some droids), but nothing compares to the AF line.

In Romania my salary as university assistant professor is pretty low: a little bit over Lei3000000, where $1 is about Lei33000 (I work at Radio Arad for free). I cannot afford a credit card and all my trades I've done (and there were lots of excellent trades at rebelscum and thejawa) were something like this: I sent the money by registered mail letter and the trader waited till the envelope arrived and then he sent the toys. I never had problems and dealt with great traders from all around the world.

Not even now I can't find any AF toys in Romania. There are tons of Barbies, GI Joes, other nice toys and other SW action figures but no AF. So everything I need I have to get from you and other AF fans.

You don't know how happy I am finding this GREAT forum and you guys... To talk only about AF! You may check my trading and buying posts here and at rebelscum and thejawa and you'll see: I'm interested only in AF. Thanks guys!

:)

SWAFMAN
12-23-2002, 01:19 AM
see # 2 on this list..... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=187698#post187698)

good shot jansen
12-24-2002, 08:44 AM
buying my 1st several action fleet vehicles back in '95 was not what got me into collecting micro machines. sure they were great toys, well detailed, articulated, and full of play features. the size of the action fleet vs. the larger 3 3/4" line was a major plus as well. the af's can fit more easily in the hands of small children, (mason was not quite 2 when i got him his 1st one), the 3 3/4" were (and as far as mason is concerned, still) to big to play with properly.

what got me into collecting, and cherishing micro machines was the buzz board.

a place where people could get together, and talk about our passions for this extraordinary toy line.

when the buzz closed down in 99, i thought fer sure, my interest in micro machines would wane and eventually join the collection of hazy memories of things gone by that were once enjoyed by me.

but through the tireless, and usually thankless work of jedi tricks (who was known for many years over at the buzz as random ranger), the mm section here at ssg, has kept the galoob fire burning inside me long after it should have self extinguished.

the toys are great, but it has always been the community attached to the toys that have kept me lingering around!

:)

cloneemperor
12-29-2002, 06:45 AM
I hadn't done much with Star Wars in many years, and I was hanging out with a friend one day in 1996. He wanted to go look at the Hasbro Action Figures. I went with him, and I saw these little 5-6 inch long vehicles that looked like they were the spitting image of the vehicles in the movies. They looked so much cooler than the Action Figures (more realistic too) that I just had to buy a couple. That is how I started.

haggie
01-01-2003, 05:31 PM
I'll just refer you to my post in this thread (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=43695#post43695). The entire thread is filled with long posts about how others got into MMs and AFs.

Jedi Idej
01-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Crud. I always get confused on which site I posted what. Here's my little story as posted on this thread (http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000179) at another site.

I owe it all to Star Trek.

My cousin showed me the 3 sets of Star Trek micromachines 3-pks he just picked up. Over the next few days I couldn't stop thinking about how nice the vehicles were. I stopped by TRU, looked around, and spotted the Star Wars micromachines and bought a few of those sets instead.

After a few weeks of checking TRU to see if any new mm sets came out -- and finding none -- I grabbed an AF ship to satisfy the addiction, a substitute until I found more of my... precious.

But all that did was whet my appetite for AF, leading me to an even more insatiable hunger.

Hi. My name is Jedi Idej. I am an action fleet junkie.