PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Channel is pulling an "MTV" on us

JediTricks
12-22-2002, 05:33 AM
It seems the quote-unquote "Sci-Fi Channel" has finally started pulling the last thread of the rug that they've been pulling out from under their audience's feet. Today, they aired "So I Married An Axe Murderer", a fine film starrting Mike Meyers pre-Austin Powers and the beautiful & talented Nancy Travis; a film I might add that has nary a hint of science fiction to it.

While rumors have been flying about for over a year about SFC's then-new management wanting to scrap the entire "science fiction" premise of their channel so they can turn it into "The Action Channel" using all the action movies USA channel has rights to air (USA networks owns SFC), and SFC has in turn cancelled every single piece of original programming since then, they still were at least pretending to be about sci-fi and horror. Heck, USA even produced a new sci-fi show last season that they primarily aired on USA itself rather than premiering it on SFC (The Dead Zone, which is coming back for a 2nd season).

Sci-Fi Channel was started to cater to a specific market of viewership which, while more savvy and discerning towards programming and advertising, was also more rewarding to moves made in those fields that fit their mold. Slowly, SFC has eroded away its core and now seems to be airing less and less sci-fi similar to the ongoing extinction of music videos on MTV. However, if SFC goes away, I highly doubt there will be an SFC2 to pick up the slack, and that's a shame because we don't need another generic cable channel.

mrmiller
12-23-2002, 09:20 AM
There recently was news of Viacom (paramounts parent company) creating their own Sci-Fi Channel. Here is part of the article:

Entertainment - Reuters/Variety Industry

Karmazin Explores Sci-Fi, Regs, Ad Prospects
Tue Dec 10, 2:03 AM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters/Variety Industry to My Yahoo!

By Jill Goldsmith

NEW YORK (Variety) - Viacom Inc. chief operating officer Mel Karmazin is busy exploring the launch of a sci-fi cable channel, hunting for bargain acquisitions, continuing to beef up CBS and pressuring Washington to loosen station ownership regulations.

Karmazin said Viacom won't bid for Vivendi Universal, although he'd love to add the Sci Fi Channel to Viacom's stable if someone else bought the French media giant and wanted to unload the fast-growing cable network. Marvin Davis and a group of financial partners have bid about $20 billion for Universal's U.S. entertainment business.

Since that's a long shot, Viacom is considering creating its own sci-fi network, where it could repurpose all its "Star Trek" programming.

That could put the pressure on the Sci-Fi Channel to beef up their lineup. I for one, would be up for a "Star Trek" channel.

=MATT=

JEDIpartner
12-23-2002, 02:30 PM
I've just noticed that Sci-Fi cuts all their programming to Poop and litters each hour with an overabundance of commercials. That is not cool at all. They are just trying to pull in the dollars... and that's sad.

JediTricks
12-24-2002, 04:29 AM
I don't think it's even about making money right now, I think they're trying to shoo the audience away so they can change the format.

Viacom/Paramount making a sci-fi-themed channel would be a larf because they just signed away the rights to nearly all the Trek series and movies for the next 4 or 6 years to TNN. Even more embarassing is that the real Sci-Fi Channel has the exclusive rights to all the Original Series eps for 3 more years, along with Twilight Zone I think. Paramount has this huge library and can't access it for YEARS, making that poor Viacom sci-fi channel fairly barren.

Sidiously Darth
12-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Just Great! Another channel to skip by on DirecTv.:frus:

InsaneJediGirl
12-27-2002, 07:28 PM
Its a shame really.Its like last week I wanted to watch a MST3K Re-Run at its normal time but they had on some stupid movie or paid programming thing.

I dont know why they are doing this.Not enough viewers?Heck,I'd even be up for a all Star Trek channel,at least its scifi:D

JediTricks
12-27-2002, 08:19 PM
IJG, I think it's not that they don't have enough viewers, it's that the viewers they have aren't big suckers who fall for any moronic ad campaign. Sci-fi viewership often is able to discern more carefully what they do and don't want to buy. It's just easier for USA to scuttle the channel and bring in less-discriminating audiences in its place.

sith_killer_99
12-27-2002, 08:45 PM
Exactly!

For example, I watch the Sci-Fi channel and my wife watches USA.;)

JediTricks
12-27-2002, 11:07 PM
To SK99's wife...

He said it, not me! :D

2-1B
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
from Wikipedia:
Syfy (pronounced /ˈsaɪfaɪ/; the same way as sci-fi), formerly known as the Sci Fi Channel, is an American cable television channel that specializes in science fiction, fantasy, horror, professional wrestling, and paranormal programming.

I think 4 of the 5 specialities listed above can be grouped together with varying degrees of relevance...but...professional wrestling???

Lord Malakite
04-09-2010, 08:34 AM
I think 4 of the 5 specialities listed above can be grouped together with varying degrees of relevance...but...professional wrestling???
You can now add "food/cooking shows" to the list of ??? in terms to relevance.

NBC Universalís Syfy (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...hp?rssid=20065) is developing a series starring former Top Chef contestant Marcel Vigneron.

JediTricks
04-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Unless he's being eaten, this will add to the "WTF" aspects of this channel. It's like they're actively trying to run it into the ground.

sith_killer_99
04-09-2010, 09:53 PM
from Wikipedia:
Syfy (pronounced /ˈsaɪfaɪ/; the same way as sci-fi), formerly known as the Sci Fi Channel, is an American cable television channel that specializes in science fiction, fantasy, horror, professional wrestling, and paranormal programming.

Well duh, The Rock stared in Doom, Race to Witch Mountain, The Mummy movies, and Planet 51. Steve Austin was in The Condemned. Hollywood Hulk Hogan was in Muppets from Space. Who can't see the connection!:twisted:

Lord Malakite
04-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Unless he's being eaten, this will add to the "WTF" aspects of this channel. It's like they're actively trying to run it into the ground.
Well to be fair, we are talking about a channel operated/owned by NBC. What have they not tried to run into the ground recently. :thumbsup: At least they are being consistent.

JediTricks
04-10-2010, 02:32 AM
USA Network actually has been doing great, good ratings and very good shows. But yeah, NBC isn't known for doing smart things lately otherwise.