PDA

View Full Version : Are you interested in a new Star Wars Cartoon Series?

Tycho
12-22-2002, 10:04 PM
With over 70 posts in a forum thread about a possible Clone Wars cartoon series, (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15880) we want to ask our readers if they want any animated series in general.

Vote a simple "yes" or "no" and then you can state your reasons, preferences, etc. by posting them in the thread below.

sith_killer_99
12-22-2002, 10:10 PM
I would love to see a Clone Wars series, something focused on the wars, and not so much on the Jedi themselves. Clones vs. the Geo Warriors type stuff.

It would have to be somethign that avoids getting tangled up with the movies. Sort of an EU thing. That way all of the "cannon-ites" can stay happy. ;)

Tycho
12-22-2002, 10:13 PM
I reserved the priviledge of "leading off" on this one to state the following:

I want a series that is serious like the GI Joe cartoon was, or like the Batman Animated series is done. It deals with mature plots that are sophisticated enough for adult taste, and no cutsie stuff or physical comedy routines characteristic of the old Ewoks and Droids cartoons, or JarJar Binks in The Phantom Menace.

Furthermore:

I would like a series based on any of the following:

Knights of the Old Republic (especially Ulic Qel Droma & Exar Kun)

Jedi Apprentice (young Obi-Wan with Qui-Gon)

Jedi Quest (young Anakin Skywalker with Obi-Wan)

The Clone Wars

Bounty Hunter

Young Han Solo's Adventures (Underworld with Chewie and Lando)

Rebel Dawn (the formation of the Alliance, and Princess Leia)

Jedi Academy (Master Luke Skywalker training Kyp Durron's class)

Young Jedi Knights (Jaina and Jacen's, as well as Anakin Solo's adventures)

New Jedi Order (the war with the Yuuzhan Vong that destroys the galaxy!)

And I'd just as much support a live-action TV series with real people being cast, as much as I'd like a cartoon. The idea is more Star Wars, that's done right, not whether it is animated or not.

*but if they can have Jan Duursema animate it, that'd be a huge plus!

stillakid
12-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I want a series that is serious like the GI Joe cartoon was, or like the Batman Animated series is done. It deals with mature plots that are sophisticated enough for adult taste, and no cutsie stuff or physical comedy routines characteristic of the old Ewoks and Droids cartoons, or JarJar Binks in The Phantom Menace.

I voted "no" with the assumption that it would be done all cutesy-like. If it had a serious edge to it, as you describe, then maybe.

Although, I could see kids enjoying a Saturday morning Ewoks program again if done right. Those things are kind of cartoony to begin with. But I honestly can't envision any of the Clone Wars entities as simple 2D characters.

NRPeace
12-22-2002, 11:01 PM
I voted no because one of the big reasons that Star Wars has remained so popular is that it hasn't been over-exposed. The quickest way too kill a franchise is to over-do it (ask anyone who used to like Star Trek). I stay away from pretty much all of the novels and comics for that reason. I like the movies as they are, and I think that filling in every little gap in the Star Wars universe (which is what will most likely happen with a TV series) will just cheapen the stuff that made us enjoy it so much to begin with. Sometimes less is more.

Jerjerrod
12-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by NRPeace
I voted no because one of the big reasons that Star Wars has remained so popular is that it hasn't been over-exposed. The quickest way too kill a franchise is to over-do it (ask anyone who used to like Star Trek). I stay away from pretty much all of the novels and comics for that reason. I like the movies as they are, and I think that filling in every little gap in the Star Wars universe (which is what will most likely happen with a TV series) will just cheapen the stuff that made us enjoy it so much to begin with. Sometimes less is more.

Yes, I agree. Please, NO OVERKILL!

Banthaholic
12-22-2002, 11:32 PM
I'd be a fan of a clone war cartoon. It would definitely keep and create interest in the line

Sidiously Darth
12-23-2002, 12:00 AM
I voted yes to this question, but yes in the sense it would be a Clone Wars cartoon.

I agree that over exposure kills any property. Star Trek happens to be a good example right now. I think anyone can write a ST book as long as they know how to type. However, if they give it a rest for a few years, I think they could bring in a new movie or series.

Back to the SW cartoon... I too do not want anything kid driven. I think that's the problem w/ Transformers Armada. If it is mature based like Joe, but better animation, I think it will appeal to a large audience.

Also, I believe sticking w/ the Clone Wars is a good idea b/c that is fresh in most people's minds when talking SW.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.:p

mini-rock
12-23-2002, 01:29 AM
I totally agree with the Clone Wars idea. Not a kiddie cartoon, but something that's true to the movies (prequel's preferred) and as long as it stays along those lines it'll be great I bet. Oh yeah, all CGI too:D.Those are my preference's but whatever they come up with I will like. Hell, it's more Star Wars baby!:)

jedihunter25
12-23-2002, 01:33 AM
I voted YES. As long as it's not cornny, not an overkill, and they try to keep the main characters out (don't need to ruin the storyline of the movies and stir up more unanswered questions). It would be cool if they did it with digital animation- like they did with Transformers and others that I've seen not too long ago.

TOY_EMPIRE
12-23-2002, 07:31 AM
I would voted 'yes' because hopefully that might follow the lead of the "justice league" cartoon, which I think is aimed at a muture audience and is very stylized while still packing in adventure and top notch action to keep the kids happy, I mean most kids watch cartoons so they can see their favourite characters blow stuff up, so with the clone wars being the theme the series it would kick ***!!!:crazed:

I also would like to see some of the characters from the books such as exar kun and kyp durron, there is a limitless galaxy of characters from the books to introduce while still having the main characters in alternate episodes e.g: the justice leauge rarely has all of the main characters in 1 episode.

IF THE SERIES GOES AHEAD PLEASE DON'T MESS IT UP!!!!

jedikiss
12-23-2002, 09:11 AM
A "CARTOON" OR LIVE-ACTION WOULD BE AWSOME! HECK, IF TREK CAN HAVE SPIN-OFFS WHY CAN'T IT'S SUPERIOR: THE STAR WARS SAGA--(MAYBE, THAT'S WHY TREK IS INFERIOR- IT HAS TO RELY ON SPIN-OFFS IN MY OPINION). BUT I HAVE TO AGREE WITH PREIOUS POSTS ON THE MATTER. THE "CUTSIE" "DROIDS" AND "EWOKS" FROM '85-'86. IS NOT THE STYLE FOR A NEW SERIES. NOR WOULD CHEESY POWER-RANGERS STYLE. IF THERE WHERE TO BE A SERIES, IT WOULD BEST TO TELL EVENTS BETWEEN FILMS WITHOUT COMPROMISING THE FILMS. KEY FILM CHARACTERS NEED NOT BE THE CENTRAL CHARS, BUTBE "GUESTS" IN PLOT LINES. AN EXAMPLE TO TEST THE IDEA COULD BE "SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE". THERE WAS ENOUGH COVERAGE OF THIS PLOT THAT IT WOULDN'T STRAY TO FAR AWAY AS DO SOME OF THE EU COMICS DO (IMO, SOME OF THOSE JUST USE THE STAR WARS NAME TO ATTRACTED BUYERS) PLUS, IT COULD GIVE HASBRO SOME MORE FIG. CHOICES INSTEAD OF YET ANOTHER MAUL, CHEWBACCA, OR VADER. THERE ARE PLENY OF "SHADOWS" CHAR. EXCELLENT CHOICES FOR FIGS, TOO. GURI ANYONE OR VLIKTIN OR SOFT GOODS-CORUSANT GOWN LEIA? I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HASBRO RE-ISSUE ALL THE DROIDS AND EWOKS FIGS AS THEY WERE IN '85. (EVEN THE UNREASED SERIES) AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SAY THAT'LL LOWER THE VINTAGE ONE'S VALUE, NOT SO IF HASBRO STAMPS A CURRENT DATE AND/OR "RE-ISSUE" ON FIGS FEET.

sith_killer_99
12-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Jedikiss, welcome, but please......EASE UP ON ALL THE CAPS.
ALL CAPS = shouting;)

In any event, I think Tycho is right. It definatly needs to be a more mature series. That's why I feel the "Clone Wars" is a great idea for the series.

Besides, if they stick to the main theme of the Clones and the bad guys (most likely the Geonosians) then they can avoid the overkill and keep from messing with the movies.

BTW, would all of the clones have funny names like Te'ed, Bi'ill, To'om, Da'avid, Da'aniel or Bo'ob?

Maximillian Phokas
12-23-2002, 10:24 AM
I voted "No" because I'm realistic when it comes to SW franchises nowadays. We all say we'd like a mature cartoon along the lines of G.I. Joe, but even G.I. Joe was a bit corny - no one dies, too short a time for any episode to have any considerable plot, and by the second season or so, many of the stories become recycled (props to Cobra Commander for trying again and again though!)

I actually liked the Droids Adventure Series, and there even have been elements of that story-line that made into mainstream EU material. The whole "Boonta Eve" refrence to the Podracing on Tattooine is in reference to the actual Boonta Classic that we saw in "A Race to the Finish", which featured Boba Fett's second cartoon appearance. Admiral Screed made it into the "Rebellion" PC Game, and the Adventures of Mungo Baobab and his quest to find Roon Stones were mentioned in "Shadows of the Empire". However, in this day and age, I fear that any cartoon NOT put on the TOON network after midnight will just get filtered through too many ratings criteria for it to be anything we'd enjoy.

Case in point: the Star Wars comics. Aside from some REALLY GOOD stories like Tales of the Jedi, or Crimson Empire, I have been largely dissapointed with the comic lines because any person with a crayon and a piece of paper seems to get an "OK" from Lucasfilm. Rogue Squadron was becoming too "G.I. Joe" for me, where there were too many "good guys" to keep track of, everyone had to have their own spin on comedic adventure, and no one rarely died in combat. It just got too cumbersome for me. Then there were series like Vader's Quest, Empire's End and Bounty Hunter that were just awful as far as I felt. This is exactly what I fear will happen if SW goes cartoon again. Too much of a good thing is going to kill the market, and anything we talk about here in this forum, while they may have great ideas, are NOT what cartoon executives are looking for. In the end, I think we'll just be disappointed. Were there even elements in Episodes I and II that we all though could hve been done better? Absolutely. If the prequels were too kiddy for us, how do you think a cartoon series would stack up?

Tycho
12-23-2002, 12:33 PM
I agree with a lot of what Maximillian Phokas said, but I take issue with several things:

1) a cartoon with extremely strict quality control for plot sophistication and non-campiness would rock. The war must progress and Jedi must die. They'll all have numbers, not names such as SithKiller joked about like Bo'ob, to borrow from Timothy Zahn's way of naming clones, such as the one called Lu'uke Skywalker. Besides, if the Separatists separate Bo'ob's "apostrophe" during the course of a battle, than he becomes just another boob. ;)

That's not great for a professional soldier. If this was Star Trek, they'd give him a red shirt to wear.

2) Rogue Squadron's comic was awesome! And Rogue's did die:

Dllr Nep of Sollust
Ibatisam of Mon Calamari
Hernian (spelling) of Clakdor VII (the Bith homeworld)

as did bad guys like Sate Pestage (Imperial Dignitary # 2 in ROTJ)

and more - I can't remember all of the pilots at the moment. (The comics, by Mike Stackpole, preceeded the novels by Mike Stackpole by about 2 years in the Star Wars continuity. The actual publishing order is reversed, with Aaron Allston taking over the novels, as Mike Stackpole wrote stories for the comics that took place before Corran Horn joined the squadron (although he's in some of the Rogue Comics while still a special agent for CorSec.)

3) Last but not least, Star Trek is not weakened by spin-offs. It is strengthened. Deep Space Nine was the best Star Trek ever - or what do Star Wars fans not appreciate about a 4 year long WAR on television with fleets larger than those shown in Return of the Jedi duking it out on FOX Television, free with no movie ticket required. Special effects and ships courtesy of George Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic who did the effects for Star Trek The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - or didn't Star Wars fans know that? - and the ground battles where even a regular character lost a leg in a heavy fire fight through a minefield! Star Trek suffered from its volume, not its franchising. Sure you could tune in one day and catch the characters in a hokey comedy episode, or a Season 1-2 show of DS9 that moves pretty slow - but watch the show for 3 weeks and you'll have seen something you'll like and then you'll be hooked!

Just like Star Trek, the debate in this thread is about whether more Star Wars is good. Certainly there have been bad comics and Ewoks and Droids were not the high points for fandom (though I too like the speeder racing team of Thall Joban and Jord Dusat who bought C-3PO and R2D2 sometime between Episode 3 and Episode 4 when Captain Antilles and Leia Organa were their new masters (before Luke got them from the Jawas).

Again, like I said, with an adult fan doing quality control on the cartoon, with an adult's tastes in mind, this would rock. Kids are going to think it's far cooler than cartoon stuff that panders to stupidity and silly humor: Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry are great cartoons, but kids can toon into that if they want to watch it. They don't look to Star Wars to provide them with more antics like JarJar Binks. That's not what SW is about.

While I liked The Phantom Menace myself, and I thought JarJar was funny - once is enough. That kind of stuff certainly doesn't belong in the Clone Wars - a tragic time.

jconrad
12-23-2002, 02:08 PM
I would love to see a new star wars animated cartoon. However with reservations. When a new cartoon comes out, it wil most definately appeal the the toy buying public. Kids! For what other reason would anyone produce an animated show? Seeing a more mature show would be the most appealing, and could work quite well. I watched mostly adult shows as a kid, and enjoyed them in a different light as I matured. So there 's my ramble on the possibility of a new show.

...and also with you!
JC

c_richards
12-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Maximillian Phokas
Case in point: the Star Wars comics. Aside from some REALLY GOOD stories like Tales of the Jedi, or Crimson Empire, I have been largely dissapointed with the comic lines because any person with a crayon and a piece of paper seems to get an "OK" from Lucasfilm. Rogue Squadron was becoming too "G.I. Joe" for me, where there were too many "good guys" to keep track of, everyone had to have their own spin on comedic adventure, and no one rarely died in combat. It just got too cumbersome for me. Then there were series like Vader's Quest, Empire's End and Bounty Hunter that were just awful as far as I felt. This is exactly what I fear will happen if SW goes cartoon again. Too much of a good thing is going to kill the market, and anything we talk about here in this forum, while they may have great ideas, are NOT what cartoon executives are looking for. In the end, I think we'll just be disappointed. Were there even elements in Episodes I and II that we all though could hve been done better? Absolutely. If the prequels were too kiddy for us, how do you think a cartoon series would stack up?

Maximillian Phokas-

I have a question for you. If they were to make a comic book, or a cartoon series like Dreamwaves first TF series, or possibly along the artwork of Armada (NO ANNOYING KIDS, and it I would like it to be an hour show), then would you be game?

My suggestion to anyone wondering, please pick up a copy of the first Transformers Mini-Series Dreamwave Productions put out earlier this year. The artwork is incedible, and the story line was off the wall, and it was overall an excellent idea.

As for the Armada show, it has it's strong points, the characters are exceptionally detailed, the stories are generally believeable, and most of all, there is little time for one to be board, or grow tired with the show. However, it too has it's flaws.

If the SW Cartoon would be done as a CGI cartoon, like maybe Beast Wars, or Beast Machines.... have strong stories, and no cutesy little distractions, then I honestly think it could be a serious contender... Forget the fact that it might have to be on Midnight Run on Cartoon Network.... it COULD work.

If.... and that's a big if... all these factors were met and in many cases exceeded, do any of you think a cartoon like this would work? I do!

Until the next time.....
MTFBWY!

Pendo
12-23-2002, 06:22 PM
It would be nice for some new Star Wars material :). I just hope it's good :p!

PENDO!

jjreason
12-23-2002, 06:51 PM
Yes, definitely. You don't have to watch it if you don't like the first few episodes, or if you determine it's not canon. Id like to see what they could do with it. My preference for story content would be bridging epII and epIII, which I believe has been rumoured. To me that would be the wisest choice - serializing the story will make it harder to miss an episode - and should keep the toy line popping until 2005. Good for LFL, good for Hasbro....hopefully good for us. But let's keep the crappy cartoon based figures to a minimum 'kay?

Turbowars
12-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by NRPeace
I voted no because one of the big reasons that Star Wars has remained so popular is that it hasn't been over-exposed.
With all due respect NRPeace, this I think is funny because SW has been over-exposed for 25 years and it has never been stronger. For one, it never was a TV show and it has a huge following. There has been cartoons in the past and I loved them as a child. OT Droids and Ewok toys sell in the $100's each! A cartoon would do the SW line some good. Hasbro need more of a kid fan base. I know many of you say you see kids buying SW figures, but I have never seen it and many of my buddies haven't either. IMHO the toys are mainly bought by people like myself, ages 15-30+ OK thats my .0002 cent worth;)

Maximillian Phokas
12-23-2002, 08:01 PM
Tycho, and c_richards,

I think you both raised some good points to follow up on my previous comments. It's not that i wouldn't want to see a cartoon series, what I am worried about is whether or not it's going to be anything good. Of course "good" is relative to anyone's taste.

I didn't suggest the Rogue Squadron series was bad in my eyes, in fact it was one of the truer SW comic lines. It just seemed a little crowded at the end with so many characters, and we kind of knew Wedge, Janson and Hobbie were going to survive - but again, my own opinions. Now that I'm beginning to think about it, there are a good number of EU Star Wars storylines that actually are better than some of the prequel material. The Jedi Knight PC Game series is really good - especially anything taking place on Nar Shadda, as was the TIE Fighter PC Game. Now, let's say someone takes the initiative to make a cartoon series along the same quality as those, or a Crimson Empire, or a Tales of the Jedi, or a Rogue Squadron - then yes, I'd be game. My biggest fear is the "Kiddy factor" and how much of the material might have to be watered down to cater to a larger audience. If that has to happen, I'd rather pass on a cartoon series. If someone can really come up with a serious storyline that caters to an older audience - a series that's not afraid to show death and despair (even Governor Koong in the Droids series died) - and just enough of a comedic touch, then I think we could have a great series.

chewiegurl1138
12-23-2002, 08:34 PM
TRU! As long as they aren't kiddie based or crappy (ie...LOTR cartoons, cough cough) they would be awesome to continue the saga with!

JediTricks
12-24-2002, 03:01 AM
I voted "No" because it seems like ever since Beast Wars, cartoons have really gone downhill. Even shows with tight control by dedicated, knowledgable writers and directors seem to fall apart after a dozen eps, shows like new MOTU and Justice League start strong, but soon fall into patterns where either the art gets sloppy or the writing gets corny or predictable. Almost nothing out there follows a continuous storyline anymore either except Pokemon and such.

I just don't think the cartoon industry can produce a series that's consistantly high-quality or serious in nature anymore. While I loved Beast Wars, that show is gone and nothing out there seems to be picking up the slack.

If a show like Beast Wars - with great writing, solid story arcs, and good animation (or better yet, good cartoon CGI) - was likely, I might vote "yes".

Bryan Segal
12-24-2002, 03:18 AM
Do it!!! I agree EU type stories would be a definate plus. If it went well and everyone didn't trash it for every little minor thing it could have a huge impact on what comes out in the future. I would much rather see a live based HBO series on EU type story lines then anything else. Band of Brothers was great, so why not Knights of the Old Republic?:greedy:

c_richards
12-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Maximillian Phokas and JediTricks-

I agree with both of you.

Max- you are right.... no watered down kiddie karnival krap! I'm talking decent stories, flawless animation (CGI.... Beast Wars proved both can exist!), and most importantly No flooding the market, or TV with EU people, but keeping it within the realm of who, what, where, when, why, how we know!!!!!!!

JediTricks...I totally agree with you, I personally can't see it go any other way except CGI. ILM already has all the animatics, walk cycles, framing sequences, etc.... let's not let it all rot, and put it to good use during the lull from Episode II, and Episode III.

I loved Droids and Ewoks as a kid, and even now, when I watch the videos, I still chuckle over the sillyness, but what I liked was the fact they dealt with a lot of characters we CARED about. While it is true they introduced a ton of new people, especially in Droids, they gave the characters a personality, and made you care about them. You loved Jord Dusat, and Thall Joben, and we all hated Siess Fromm and the Dulocks. They weren't overly childish, but not too mature for young kids trying to watch either. It was a delicate balancing act. Sure, they had moments of extreme goofyness, but let's look at the times.

Droids and Ewoks came out in the mid 80s. It was much easier to have cartoons that didn't have to be so PC. Example, look at Transformers (G1 to many of you). Megatron is a perfect example. Here was a maniacle tyrant who didn't care, even about his own soldiers, and to top it off, changed into a gun! Now.... flash forward to today. G1 would never pass the censors to get on the air. It would be considered too violent. Even though we never really saw anyone die (Prime doesn't count...and Jetfire crashed, but later as if by a miracle, came back! I'm not talking the movie either.), all the gun play would be canned from the start. See Beast Machines... Tf's under the careful eye of "parent groups" and censors dumbed down what could have been the best TF show ever into a 30 minute commercial.

I could go on, but you all know the deal. I hope I didn't upset anyone. This is just my opinion. Take care everyone, and have a happy and safe Holiday Season.