PDA

View Full Version : Technical question regading AOTC DVD on a PS2!



Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-27-2002, 03:51 PM
First off, sorry if this should e in the episode II forum. It more pertains to the ps2, but eh, sorry!!

I'm watching AOTC and for some reason, every so often, these random technical credits appear on the screen and it's hella annoying. Like "Producer- rick mccallum" and so on. Any idea what in the sammest these are and how to stop them?!! Thanks in advance!! :D

Beast
12-27-2002, 03:59 PM
I've read alot of reports about problems with the E2 DVD on PS2. Do you have the latest firmware upgrade installed on it? You get that when you buy the remote control. It's on a CD and it updates the firmware in the system that plays DVD's.

This might solve your problems. Those credits that occassionally pop up, are for the Audio Commentary track. When you listen to the Audio Commentary, it pops up and shows the name of who's talking. So it seems to just be a minor glitch thats making it think the Audio Commentary is running.

I am going to suggest, that once you can afford it that you get a standalone DVD player. Game consoles that double as DVD players often end up having these problems. They are good as a first DVD player, but a standalone is much better in the long run. That's not just my opinion, but been proven by DVD tech experts. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
12-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

I am going to suggest, that once you can afford it that you get a standalone DVD player. Game consoles that double as DVD players often end up having these problems. They are good as a first DVD player, but a standalone is much better in the long run. That's not just my opinion, but been proven by DVD tech experts. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks .

You know, I used to try and convince many, many people of this when I used to work at EB, but they never listened.

JediTricks
12-27-2002, 08:12 PM
I watched my copy on my mom's PS2 on Thanksgiving and had no problems with it. I didn't use the remote or software updates for it. However, what I have found on other DVDs is that the PS2 loves to apply the subtitle settings upon boot-up and it sounds like that's what is happening for you. Those credits, as jjb mentioned, are part of the Commentary experience, but the commentary audio track and the subtitle names are actually separate so you can turn these "Producer Rick McCallum" things on by cycling through the player's subtitle options.

LTBasker
12-27-2002, 08:22 PM
I haven't had any problems with mine ever, I'd suggest trying to turn on the audio commentary, and then turning it off. That might help it "know" that you don't want the commentary which should take off the name text.

jjreason
12-27-2002, 09:11 PM
Same combo, different problem. Anyone experienceing a slight, ever so slight, difference in sound and vision? ie words coming out before the lips start moving? Weirdly enough, on my disc it's worse in some parts than others, but is downright brutal during scenes where CGC characters are saying lines. Any tips on this? I thought it might be a setup issue (Im not set for Doby 5.1 at home yet), are there any other possible explanations? Might I need a new copy of the disc? Thanks for any help....

Dar' Argol
12-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Same combo, different problem. Anyone experienceing a slight, ever so slight, difference in sound and vision? ie words coming out before the lips start moving? Weirdly enough, on my disc it's worse in some parts than others, but is downright brutal during scenes where CGC characters are saying lines. Any tips on this? I thought it might be a setup issue (Im not set for Doby 5.1 at home yet), are there any other possible explanations? Might I need a new copy of the disc? Thanks for any help....

I use to have this problem with E1. During the final battle with the Star Fighters, Anakin's works came out about a second later. After I got the remote with the driver updates, that problem went away. I would HIGHLY suggest getting the Sony PS2 Remote and using the updates on your memory card.

As far as the problem with the credits popping up. I havbe not seen this yet. I've watched E2 on my PS2 about 20 times now and I have never seen it. Once again, I would suggest the remote. I think its only $29.96 at WM;) :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Woah!!! Got in from work and read all these, very good ideas. I'll try the ones that don't require me spending 30 bucks. I hadn't watched any of my SW DVD's with commentary, so the thing about who talks where is pretty obvious to me now! hehehehehehehe I'll let you y'all know what works. Thanks everybody! :D

jjreason
12-28-2002, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the tip DA, Im gonna crack and get one - unless I can figure out another way to get me one of them driver discs....:eek: :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-29-2002, 02:02 AM
Booya!!! I went into the Options menu and specifically highlghted english digital audio, blah blah, aka: NO commentary...and specifically said no subtitles. as for the first few min and when stuff usually popped up, nothing is poppnig up!!! Yay!!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!! If it turns out this doesn't work, i'll post again and tell y'all i resorted to updating my drive. thanks again!! :D

Lord Malakite
12-29-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I am going to suggest, that once you can afford it that you get a standalone DVD player. Game consoles that double as DVD players often end up having these problems. They are good as a first DVD player, but a standalone is much better in the long run. That's not just my opinion, but been proven by DVD tech experts. :)

Completely true. :) If only more people knew. :(


Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
.

You know, I used to try and convince many, many people of this when I used to work at EB, but they never listened.

Thats because most people aren't interested in electronics enough to know how they work. As a result, they are ignorant as to the technical differences that makes a standalone DVD player better compared to a video game/DVD player hybrid. So they go with what sounds like a better deal. And people wonder why I got a GCN when I could have gotten a PS2 or X-Box for their added bonus of also being a DVD player.

Dar' Argol
12-30-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Completely true. :) If only more people knew. :(



Thats because most people aren't interested in electronics enough to know how they work. As a result, they are ignorant as to the technical differences that makes a standalone DVD player better compared to a video game/DVD player hybrid. So they go with what sounds like a better deal. And people wonder why I got a GCN when I could have gotten a PS2 or X-Box for their added bonus of also being a DVD player.

HEY! I'm the one they call out to Electronics because the associated out there cannot explain something in THEIR OWN DEPT to the customer. So I concider myself pretty up to date in techincal info. But some ppl do not have the expenses to get both. I was faced with the choice of either a DVD player or the PS2. And I relize that the PS2 will never be as good as a stand-alone, but I also relized that I COULD play DVD's and games on my PS2, so I went with what works the best economically for me. The PS2 was a better value for me then just a DVD player. Besides, I'm really more of a Gaming Freak then a Movie Freak . . . although I do both well:D

So while I am planning on eventually getting a stand-alone DVD, the PS2 is working just fine for me now. The only problems I ever had since I got the driver update is a fraction of a second pause every once in a while, Which I think JarJar said to me once that it was a multi-layering thing. I think that's right Jar.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Is it me, or does the audio on the PS2 have to be turned up hella hella loud? Might just be me though. thanks! :D

Dar' Argol
12-30-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Is it me, or does the audio on the PS2 have to be turned up hella hella loud? Might just be me though. thanks! :D

That's easy to fix. While playing a DVD go to the PS2 DVD options, and go to Setup (I think that's what its called). There is an option for DVD volume. The options are 0, +1, +2. Set it to 0 and it should be normal volume, if its already there, there's nothing you can do about it. Be happy thoug, running it through my Stereo with a split so I can run the VCR there too has cut down a bit on my sound volume. But soon I shall fix that:evil:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-30-2002, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the tip Dar!! I'll have to try that! It's just irritating to have to turn the volume up hella loud, like with most of the "volume bars" filled up to hear it good. Then during battle scenes it gets loud and it has to be turned down only to turn it back up and don't even get me started on when i forget to turn it down before i turn off the PS2 and the TV darn near kills me!!! :D

JediTricks
12-31-2002, 01:18 AM
It's not just the PS2, this movie is SUPER loud during battle and explosion scenes on my regular DVD player as well. A lot of DVD movies are done like this with loud explosions and quiet dialogue, I guess to more closely mimic the movie theater experience where Hollywood has the chance to abuse your ears for 2 hours at a time. That drives me nuts at home though, sound goes way up so you have to adjust, then it goes way down so you can't hear dialogue. FIND SOME MIDDLE GROUND! Perhaps I'm on the wrong side of some unknown-by-me audio version of the "fullscreen vs widescreen" debate, but it honks me off enough to consider getting one of those smartsound dampeners.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-31-2002, 01:22 AM
I tried what was suggested, but never found the thing you were talking about, Dar. I found something asking me about digital audio output (regular TV, I have) and when i'd hit yes, it'd unlock 3 other options, like DTS and that stuff. There were also other options under the SETUP-AUDIO Menu, but nothing you described.

I tried this on my "Ghostbusters" DVD, the sequence in the hotel.

Any help would be great. Thanks again! :D

Lord Malakite
12-31-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
HEY! I'm the one they call out to Electronics because the associated out there cannot explain something in THEIR OWN DEPT to the customer. So I concider myself pretty up to date in techincal info. But some ppl do not have the expenses to get both. I was faced with the choice of either a DVD player or the PS2. And I relize that the PS2 will never be as good as a stand-alone, but I also relized that I COULD play DVD's and games on my PS2, so I went with what works the best economically for me. The PS2 was a better value for me then just a DVD player. Besides, I'm really more of a Gaming Freak then a Movie Freak . . . although I do both well:D


If you noticed, I said most people, not all. I can understand if you can't afford a DVD player as to why you might consider it. I was mainly talking about the people who believe they would be getting DVD player/video game hybrid and expect it to work as good as a standalone DVD player. You should buy a video game system primarily based on the games you like, not for all the bells and whistles that are included.