PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Fulit
12-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Ok, you've just moved into a house about two months ago, having fled your previous home that was in a neighborhood filled with loud, rude people who bump their stereos all hours of the night and day. After run ins with them, you vow to handle problems with neighbors better in the future. You move in to a new house in a better part of town, and everything is reasonably peaceful for the first two months. Then, the empty house next door becomes occupied by someone who owns a large dog. This dog has a huge yard to run in, but delights only in standing next to the part of the fence 4 feet away from your bedroom window and barking, loud and long. What do you do?

1. You don't want to call the police, as this will not endear your neighbors to you. Also, the police couldn't give a crap less that you can't sleep. There's much more important naughty pot dealers out there to arrest.

2. You go over and politely introduce yourself, and ask if theres anything that can be done. They refuse, and say something like, "Have you ever tried to shut a dog up? It's impossible" (It is, by the way, possible, I've owned dogs, and it's called training.)

2.(a) You even go so far as to offer to purchase one of those bark restricting devices, such as a collar, that zaps the dog when it barks. They refuse this, as it would "be cruel to the dog" Not as cruel as waking him up at 4 am when he has to be up at 6.

3. The only option it seems you have left is to purchase a bottle of antifreeze from the store and feed it to the dog through the fence. This has obvious problems, you would feel bad, plus you might get caught.

4. You hire Kramer and Newman to "rub out" the dog, but the obvious problem is their bumbling leads to the dog finding his way right back home again.

What would you do? Any suggestions?

derek
12-28-2002, 01:51 PM
if you choose option 3, don't do 1 or 2, as it will show you have a motive.:evil:

i vote for number 4, as michael richards and wayne night are not too busy these days.:crazed:

Tycho
12-28-2002, 01:53 PM
I'd politely introduce yourself to your neighbors and explain the problem, as I gather they are yet unaware of it.

Perhaps you could change the setting to be less confrontational. Invite them over, into your place, for coffee or appetizers and drinks (if you're comfortable with that) and make friends with them. Bring up the subject at some point during your time with them, and make yourself clear about the issue. Ask them for their options first, before suggesting any of the ones you came up with.

The police CAN cite people for pets' noise violations. I've dealt with that before. It's not the first step, or the nicest step - plus you never know if you might make a friend following my suggestion - and they'll like you and shut their own dog up for you.

Use the fact that you were a dog owner to imply that you understand training issues and that you understand some common ground with them.

If they don't solve the problem, you may not seem so confrontational going over to their place, as you've had them over to yours. Imply nothing has been done (though hopefully after the first time, the problems been solved).

On the third count, say you feel you're being disrespected and you feel you'll have to call the police.

On the fourth count, call the police.

Sorry it sounds like another month of interrupted sleep - but good neighbor relations also ensure sound sleep when they're functional - and you KNOW that the dog won't become trained over night and is probably having difficulty adjusting to their move.

Beast
12-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Maybe try some earplugs or earmuffs, if it's bothering you that much. But killing the dog with antifreeze is just a sadistic choice. Christ, I hope ya never have kids that keep you up crying at night. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
12-28-2002, 02:11 PM
First..Tell the owners,because they might not know that the dog is barking all night long.If they refuse then call Animal Control/Police Department.Like Tycho said,it isnt the nicest way,but normally it is highly effective.

QLD
12-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Yeah......but,

What Would Jesus Do?

Fulit
12-28-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
But killing the dog with antifreeze is just a sadistic choice. Christ, I hope ya never have kids that keep you up crying at night. :rolleyes: :p

Well, my three year old was a liitle loud at night as a baby, but he made it to toddlerhood! ;)
No, seriously, I could never do that, but you know kicking around extreme solutions to a problem sometimes makes you feel better? Kinda like writing a nasty letter to someone and never mailing it. God, now I feel bad for just suggesting it, though it was sort of a sarcastic option, much like #4.

Tycho has a good idea, I appreciate that suggestion, Tycho. It might work, if they are a certain type of people, or receptive. Some people around here are real big on their dogs and their trucks and fishin' and huntin' and crap. I'm not saying all people like that are jerks, but I have dealt with many who are, so that would be a concern to me. But, you know, I will try it anyway, because it seems to be the most sensbile option at this point.

The thing that I don't understand is, if I can hear it, can' t they? Doesn't loud, repetitive noise bother most people? Wouldn't the sound your own dog, barking loudly, be enough to make you get up and do something? Guess I expect too much out of people.

Well, thanks again for the suggestions. :)

Emperor Howdy
12-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Yeah......but,

What Would Jesus Do?

He would cast the demons out of the dog, sending them into the other neighbor's cats, causing the cats to run off the edge of the mountain. :p

I don't know, man. How about just knocking on the door, introducing yourself, and telling them what's up. It's easier than you think.

sith_killer_99
12-28-2002, 02:30 PM
My brother-in-law has a box that puts out a high pitched noise that dogs can hear. The device gets their attention and is not harmful at all. He used it to train his dogs not to bark. Or, that is to say, he uses it to make them stop barking.

It is easy to use and works immediatly, whenever dogs hear this they stop whatever they are doing, if they start barking again, he just pushes the button again. You can train them immediatly.

He owns two pommeraneons(sp?), in other words two little noise makers! I was amazed at how quickly this thing worked, he was never able to get those dogs to shut up and now...bam, niiice doggie. :)

Seriously, if you bought one of these and used it whenever the dog started up, you would see results immediatly.:)

I forget the name of the device, but your local pet store probably has one, or something similar to it.

The one he has is just a little gray box with a button and a little red LED that lights up when the button is pushed to indicate that the device is activated.

I hope this helps.

Fulit
12-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy

I don't know, man. How about just knocking on the door, introducing yourself, and telling them what's up. It's easier than you think.

Because last time I did that, the lady started making her dog bark on purpose, just to **** us off. You'd be amazed at what a weird, vindictive, psychotic little place Little Rock can be. People here are nuts.
I'll probably do it anyway, since, obviously, not all residents here are crazy. Might as well give it a try. But if it don't work, that box device sithkiller99 was talking about sounds cool.

Tycho
12-28-2002, 03:04 PM
Thanks for complimenting me on my suggestion, and to repeat it, inviting them over for appetizers coffee or drinks might provide you with a GOOD neighbor next door.

Then if you want to know if they can hear their dog's noise, too - you can ask them.

That sound device thing Sith Killer was talking about *might* be safe to use on the dog - but without the owner's knowledge? Plus would you like a ringing in your ears all the time? Especially if you leave and forget to turn it off. It could be cruel to the dog. Obviously you don't like their noise, but it's always best to see if their owner has some options first. Be patient, and give it a month, but be proactive:

1) invite, appetizers, intros, and noise reduction request. Now they feel welcome with you.

Problem solved OR....

2) knock on their door (at a reasonable hour), and explain that it's been two weeks and no improvement.

Problem solved OR...

3) knock on their door (at a reasonable or unreasonable hour) and explain that it's been 3 weeks and there's been no improvement and you're about to call the police the next time. Ask if you can buy the noise device, collar, or offer any last bit of help before you say you can only resort to helping yourself by calling the cops.

Problem solved OR at the end of the month:

4) call the cops! - and if they don't respond right away, start calling the cops every night.

Once you have a report, you can take them to small claims court, but so that you don't have to spring for a lawyer, you can ask for mediation services. Most times you'll get in and out with an agreement faster, have a lawsuit as a last resort - with a police record to back it up.

Many cities have mediation services. It's far cheaper than a lawsuit - but just remember, you can find lawyers who take their fees out of what you sue for - so your neighbors end up paying for your attorney.

But your neighbors may also want payback, too!

Best that you follow steps 1-4 before involving the courts. You never know, you might be celebrating birthdays and holidays with your new neighbors instead of all the rest.

Old Fossil
12-28-2002, 07:18 PM
If you're nonconfrontational (like me), you could try this:

Buy a very large cannister of cayenne pepper. Late at night, after everyone is asleep (except the dog, of course), sneak over to the fence. Sprinkle the pepper liberally over the entire area you can reach on your neighbor's side of the fence.

Eventually, the dog will be so busy sneezing and licking its paws that it won't have time to bark. The drawback is, of course, that you'll have to keep buying cans of pepper. But the dog's discomfort will give you great satisfaction, at least initially...

plasticfetish
12-29-2002, 12:14 AM
If nothing "sane" works (please consider my half serious suggestions) ...

1. Hmmm ... I would tape record the barking and then figure out their phone number. Then, call them and play the barking noise over the phone several times a day and at weird times of the night.
(Well, it was fun to do for a while to the people at my local airport when planes where coming in for landings over my house at 2 a.m. They actually had an answering machine set up to take noise complaints from the locals. Come morning time we'd have it filled up with the sounds of jet planes landing.)

2. You could buy a very loud megaphone ... go to the police supply store, they have great ones for around $100 ... and then stand on the other side of the fence barking back at the dog.
(Seriously, Megaphone's are great to have! You can walk around your backyard "subtly" complaining over the thing about how much the neighbor's dog bothers you ... and they usually come with a crazy loud siren.)

3. Sound activated flood lights ... that will, when the dog barks, shine a blinding light for as long as there's noise on the neighbor's house.

4. If you can't beat 'em ... join 'em! Buy your own loud barking dog (or 2!) + a box of ear plugs.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-29-2002, 12:38 AM
If you tell the person that the barking is bothering you, they might not make an effort to improve the situation, but if you mention that it is keeping your young children from falling to sleep, then the person should be respectful enough to stop letting the dog out at night so he could bark incessantly at the moon.

Like others have mentioned, be friendly and polite in your initial meeting, because first impressions are so critical. If he agrees to address the situation (which he should), thank him warmly. Understand that it may take a few days or a week to do so, so give him time. If nothing changes then give him a warning that further instances will leave you no choice but to call the authorities. If you are not intent on calling the cops, then perhaps the antifreeze is not a bad idea. You can also try "Dear Abby" or "Miss Manners" advice columns (she rules on these sort of things) or better yet, leave a horse's head in his bed and he will get the message. :)

Obi-Don
12-29-2002, 08:44 AM
When it comes down to it. You have the right for peace in your home just as much as the person next door. Try talking to them 1st and if that doesn't work then the police is the next step. The dog is only doing what dogs do. If you take steps to stop the dog yourself.Then you become the person who could be in the wrong. As long as you stay on the right side of this matter,you will be able to get more of the authorities to back you. If you don't then they will come after you. I had problems like this before. Yes,making friends 1st helps greatly and just may slove this problem. If it don't then you will have no other choice but the police. Good luck with it.

mini-rock
12-29-2002, 10:20 AM
That's funny. The house I moved into 2 months ago has sorta the same problem. I moved from the same kind of neihborhood you described Fulit to this place which is definitely a much nicer community. The people right behind us have a large dog that barks ALL the time, but it really doesn't bother me especially when I'm playing my theater at 2a.m. at reference level and my subs are hitting 120db. If they don't complain about that then I won't complain about their dog.

jobi
12-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Just get some blasting caps and floodlights. Then do some aggressive landscaping in the middle of the night.

Or open your window when he barks, scream at the top of your lungs " SHUT THAT F****** DOG UP!"

Or buy a gun and blanks when the dog starts barking act like you're bustin caps in its *** that should at least make them look out and see what the commotion is.

SirSteve
12-30-2002, 09:10 AM
Dog whistle (not sure how effective), privacy fence (also raises your property value which is a good thing) or buy an even bigger dog for yourself and let them go at it. :)

vulcantouch
12-30-2002, 10:53 AM
if you have plenty, do the tycho courtesy route. but if you're like me and have little talent for diplomatic niceties i'd just plain tell em 1-3 times (your call). after that, just call the cops every time and press charges. you might feel foolish a few times if dog stops yappin before they arrive a few times, but if you do it enough eventually the situation'll become apparent even to the tardiest, most apathetic cops & they'll take action rather than risk your filing complaints of dereliction ;)
and if you don't have enough time, patience, trust or physical security to pursue either of those routes, definitely "expedite" the matter via "translegal" means, possibly using a 3rd party "troubleshooter" you can trust :evil:
being "nonconfrontational"'s got nuthin to do with nuthin. if you got a problem that ain't goin away on its own, you gotta solve it. good neighbor relations also count for nuthin, esp. if they can't be counted on to keep their dog quiet. i've burned plenty of bridges- neighborly and otherwise- and i sleep just fine cuz i did what i had to do. whatever route you choose, you're gonna hafta live with the result so make the choice you can live with-
vt

JediTricks
12-30-2002, 08:15 PM
Fulit, didn't you have troubles back in April too? I think you need to not bother with the whole "being neighborly" bullcrap, you and your family have been through enough this year. Here's what I'd do:

#1) Call the local pound and ask if it can be reported anonymously; if that doesn't help, file a complaint with the police.
-or-
#2) Buy an ultrasonic dog-deterrant. Try this one, it was marketed on TV a while back for joggers and postal carriers and such: 800-641-7575 "pet trainer"

There are tons of jerks in my neighborhood who let their mongrels run wild through the park without a leash right under the sign that says "no dogs without leashes" (no lie, RIGHT under the sign) so that kids and runners and all sorts of folks can't enjoy the park because these dogs come racing up to them and barking and even biting them all while the irresponsible moron owner blathers the ridiculous "he's a nice dog who never barks or bites" - a friend of mine was in said park in summer doing some jogging when a dog bit him, ripped through his pants-leg, and then the owner came running up to him saying "oh he's friendly" while the dog bites him AGAIN!!! Oh yeah, so my point is it may be the owner's fault that the dog is bad, but that shouldn't have to be your problem - if they can't control their dog, an ultrasonic generator seems like a very humane way to deal with the problem AND the neighbors won't even know it since it's ultrasonic. ;)

Fulit
12-30-2002, 09:30 PM
Hey, thanks for the number, I intend to see if this device works.
I might set up two or three on all sides of the house or something.

A funny thing, the neighborhood I live in is called Park Hill, I'm thinking of getting some spray paint and adding a little curve to the P on the sign to spell "Bark Hill"

Tonysmo
01-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Id let them know your a starwars fan, a deeply deranged starwars fan, that cant stand a barking dog past midnight... when they ask you what being a deranged starwars fan has to do with thier dog... let them know you have been wanting to practice making something " one with the force "

just a suggestion. Actually, I think the child excuse would be the most valid reason, and would certainly tell a HUGE amount about the type of niehbors you have.