PDA

View Full Version : When and Why did you first start collecting the 12" figures?

Tycho
12-29-2002, 12:02 PM
When and Why did you first start collecting the 12" figures?

Which one(s) were your first? What did you think then? Now?

When I saw a Tomart's or Lee's Magazine with the 12" Han Hoth on TaunTaun, I knew I had to have that! It was my favorite character with a giant 12" beast and lots of cool accessories in an outfit they never made for the vintage 12" line (which I had some of - including Han Solo to be sure!)

So I rushed out to the stores and looked for 12" figures. At TRU I found my first ones: Lando and Luke Bespin.

I tracked down a Tusken with a gaderffi stick at Walmart (I never wanted one with an Imperial (?) blaster.

Then, from hunting 3 3/4" toys, I knew that K-mart couldn't get rid of their older 12" - Original Han, Luke, and Vader. Obi-Wan was no where to be found. I ended up getting 2 of the Obi-Wan's (still one of the best 12" figures) almost a year or more later - from a friend on a good trade and the other from a dealer, for a generous price-cut. I never bought that Vader! I couldn't stand the site of his short, stunted body, and pee-brain-sized head. Many people here know I bought 4 of the 14" Vader's with Removeable Helmets - probably still my favorite 12" line figure.

Anyway, a few months later, after all this purchasing, and the Luke X-wing wave coming out, I got the first Han TaunTaun off the truck at my local TRU - and I got Chewbacca on the same trip!

I was hooked! I've been amazed at things they've done - like the speederbike and dewback, and I continue to be very happy with things like Dooku, ranked Clone Troopers, and Ultimate Jango Fett that they make for the line today. You'll all like the Geonosian when you get him - just phenomenal!

Darth Cruel
12-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Darth Maul was my first 12" figure. I started because that one figure was so cool to me. Then I embarked on a rollercoaster of joy and disappointment during my search to catch up. I was hoping they would ALL be as good or better than Maul.

My bad. :cry:

dr_evazan22
12-30-2002, 04:32 PM
I started around '96 or '97. I think the 1st one was X-Wing Luke, followed closely by Boba, 3PO, TIE Pilot and Ackbar. I'm still missing most of the intial releases. I liked the packaging on those early series, w/ the flip cover.

Some of my personal fav's are: the 14" Vader w/ removable helmet, Scout w/ Speeder Bike, Capt Tarpals w/ Kaadu, Bossk, Snow Trooper.

I like the new bodies and articulation, but was pretty disappointed by the "Ultimate" Jango. His armor doesn't fit properly, and that screws it all up for me. What works better for me is the Elec. Jango, which I have displayed on a high shelf, recreating jango's battle w/ Obi. The fig is in a display stand for 12" figs, extended to it's highest levels, looking like he just blasted off.

mini-rock
12-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Geez, I can't even remember what my first 12" figure was, but at that time I was collecting 3 3/4 inch figures always passing up the 12" ones. I can't remember if it was '98 or '99 when I had recieved all the Collector Series for my birthday from my little bro in Texas. I gave all my small figures to my kids, and since then it's been the big boy's.:D

JediTricks
12-31-2002, 01:05 AM
I started at wave 3 or 4 maybe, I had seen 'em in stores but the first few waves kinda sucked, especially yellow-head Luke. I think my first one was Bespin Luke, but I don't remember 100% for sure anymore. I got into the line because I really liked the 12" accessories... sadly, they seem to be going the way of the dinosaur these days.

JON9000
12-31-2002, 04:56 PM
I bought the original four- Luke, Han, obi-Wan, and Vader. I got fed up with the impossible to find exclusives that came out and the spotty distribution with the next wave. I decided it wasn't worth the money or the headache. I think I will pick up a Jango before it is all over though. It is too cool to pass up.

Old Fossil
12-31-2002, 05:24 PM
I had decided against collecting the 12" line when they first came out, then I stumbled upon a Ben Kenobi that had been returned at K-Mart. It was (and still is, as Tycho said) one of the best of the line.

Since then it has been up and down with this line, mostly down. Few of the 12" figures I have can stand on their own. Many have ridiculous sculpts. But there are some gems: Electronic Boba Fett, Darth Maul, others mentioned above. I mostly avoid the line, though, in part because I don't have the space to properly display them, and I'm SICK of keeping my figures in storage!!!

Exhaust Port
01-02-2003, 11:34 AM
I stumbled upon the 12" Vader at KB Toys. I wasn't in the habit of going to toy stores anymore but my brother and I just thought of killing some time as we roamed the mall. I remembered some kid down the street had the original 12" SW figures when we were kids and I was always in awe of them. Seeing the 12" Vader instantly kindled a desire to get as many of the 12" line as I could afford. So 5-6 years later I'm still collecting the line and love what I've got displayed in my apartment.

gtrain29
01-02-2003, 12:08 PM
I remember I was going to get the 12" Luke and maybe Vader back in 95-96. After buying the luke, my intentions were to keep it boxed, but I just couldn't resist the temptation of opening it. I was amazed at how it came to life out of the box and my brother & I have managed to acquire every 12"er (no rehashes though) since then.
I finally have room to display them all and they look AWESOME!!!
The 12" ben kenobi is a favorite -- I painted his eyes blue though which was much easier than I thought it would be and really makes the figure that much better.
My other favs would include 14" vader & qui-gon, snowtrooper, emperor's royal guard, bounty hunters, and my custom 15" furry chewbacca that I made by adding the legs of one chewie onto the legs of another to make him the correct height.
:)

Jedi Master Silas
01-02-2003, 02:34 PM
For me it was when I bought the 6" Yoda. I had not planned on collecting all the 12 inch figures (at that time because of the price). Damn that yoda! He gave me the fever and from there on it was all down hill:crazed: My husband and I when on the quest for the 12 inch figures! We managed to get all but the first chewy. Now we have every one except the Chewy, of course, and the KB exclusive Luke and Han stormtrooper set. Since then we started collecting 12 inch figures from all lines including vintage SW, GI Joe, 21st Century, Dragon, Side Show, Matrix, Spider man, LOTR, Reservoir Dogs, Metal Gear, POTA, Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee....I have to go dig around to see what else.

Tycho
01-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Jedi Master Silas:

You know the 21st Century Soldiers, Soldiers of the World (the blue-box Target line), and some GI Joes are VERY COOL - and their accessories are amazing.

I don't collect or own any of them (but I bought the Soldiers of the World WWII PT Boat Cmdr. uniform to do a custom-dressed, casual Jango for my SW collection).

But if I had the money and the space, I'd collect all of them!

I mean if you wanted to go out today and collect every rank from every service, and just about every specialty - for just about every war, could you???

The Revolutionary War? - Brits vs. Americans (I know they make Washington, but after seeing "The Patriot," what a battle I'd want to re-create!

The Civil War? - Gettysburg? Fredericksburg? The Blue vs. the Grey: can it be done from Generals through enlisted, calvary through artillery?

*side note: wouldn't it be awesome if they'd make a wooden sailing ship vessel for a Navy command ship from this era! It'd be huge, but the center piece beyond anyone's collection!

WWI - each World War gets me confused: they put out this guy from one of them, in the same assortment as "That Guy" from the other one. Are there enough of the enemy soldiers as well as our allies?

WWII - Still with living witnesses around today, WWII is definitely a fascinating topic. Some things that are very taboo come up with this collection - though private companies have solved these issues: Hitler action figures, as well as Nazis to be the most extreme. But Stalin, Churchill, McArthur, Rooseveldt, and figures of such people like the Captain of the Arizona, and the Japanese Generals and the Emperor would certainly be desired. Plus, are all the ranks and specialties readily available, or are there still a lot to do? I know they make Kennedy as a PT boat commander.

Korean War - I haven't noticed a lot of ethnic Koreans being made - and now with North Korea a threat again, is this taboo? Would famous characters from a serialized television series like MASH be insulting to be included in the regular line? I know that MASH has their own figures, but I can't remember if they are 12".

Vietnam - perhaps the most disturbing war closest to my generations' lifetime, though I was born after it. Does Vietnam War toys include all the different ranks and commanders of the Viet Cong? How about the North Vienamese Army? Ho Chi Mihn? Presidents Johnson and Nixon? What about serious uniformed representations of John Rambo, Hannibal Smith, FaceMan, Murdock, B.A. Baraccus, Alias, Barnes, Taylor, and so on - in their correct military attire for who these fictional characters were supposed to be? What about Senator John Kerry when he was young?

Desert Storm - An exercise in a short and "easy" war - not to be insulting to any veterans, because I don't dellude myself that it was easy, but compared to the other ones... How about a Saddam Hussein action figure, and ones of the Bush Presidents?
Is this taking it to far?

Afghanistan - would it be racist to market a bunch of Muslem holy warrior-garbed action figures and an Osama Bin Laden figure to lead them? How about crew members of the USS Cole? It would be fascinating to recreate all this stuff about modern history!

What do they make? How specific and how far do you want it to go?

Is it easy to start now and collect all the ranks and all the specialties you need to start a war?

What wars are easier, which are harder? Why do you think that is so?

This is definitely a 12" collectors' topic, if divergeant from the subject. - Note to newbies, though - don't forget to describe how you got into Star Wars 12" while you're at it.

To tie it up - don't you think that all the ranks and specialties in other war lines are effecting Star Wars - the Imperial Officers to likely be soon followed up by Rebel Officers?

It could make SW start to get really cool. Do you guys want to see a warline for SW get started like that: Capt. Antilles, Lt. so-and-so, Sgt. so-and-so, Private Rebel Fleet Trooper, Ensign Mon Calamari warrior? Etc. etc. - but with lots of accessories?

El Chuxter
01-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Though there were a few I thought were cool, I stayed away from the 12" line because of the price. . . until I found the Jawa on clearance at Target. From that point on, I've gotten a handful of select figures, almost exclusively droids, baddies, aliens, and bounty hunters (since a lot of the human characters are sadly lacking). I do have and really like, though, the 100th Luke, Death Star Trooper, Slave Leia, Zam Wessel, and Count Dooku.

Jaff
01-03-2003, 01:53 AM
In 97 I had the line up until the season of exclusives, being a completist I gave up because I didn't want to pay dealers $200 for a Luke and Bib (Back then I didn't even know who or where an FAO Schwarz was. After I opened up a store for collectors in a mall I had 10 12" Speeder Bike's with Biker Scouts. This piece was incredible. After I bought it I used my conections to get the entire classic trilogy line and it keeps getting better. I thought that the AT-AT Driver, Bossk, Lando couldn't be beaten. Then they release Zuckuss, and Dengar. I hear the next set will have Lando in Skiff. I'm licking my lips for the future of 12".

I have to admit though the 12" episode I and II stuff doesn't impress me too much with exception to Dooku, Sebulba, and Maul. I love to see the line grow. The last Episode I fig was Kaadu and Tarpals. That was over a year ago. Episode II will probably be like that too so I hold myself back from getting them. Love the classic stuff!!!!

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Oh! I think I remember which ones were my first 12"ers and my previous statement was wrong, I think my first ones were Fett and X-wing Luke, maybe ANH Leia at that time as well but maybe not. But definitely X-wing Luke, that figure set the bar VERY high for accessories and few have reached that high since.

IG65
01-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Quite a few years back my wife got me the 14" Vader for Valentine's Day ( yeah, I picked a good one ;) ) and I had it at home until my kids bent the hell out of his light saber. I was so angry that I went out a bought another one and took it to work for display (the one with the bent saber now rides a pink plastic lawn flamingo. It's a long story, don't ask :rolleyes: ). The longer it sat on my desk the more entranced I became with the 12" line, and I was soon adding just the bad guys, because in general they looked better with helmets, etc. It wasn't too long before I finally admitted to myself that I was a hopeless completeist, and I have been purchasing the whole line ever since. I don't get packaging variations however, as I display the figures loose.

plasticfetish
01-09-2003, 03:55 AM
Let's hear it for the wives ... a while ago, when the POTF C-3PO had just come out, my wife gave it to me as a gift. She knew how much my original C-3PO had (does) mean to me (it being one of the few toys I still have from when I was a kid) and she figured (correctly) that I'd like this modern one. The 12" line always seemed special to me when I was young and today I think it's still the same. From C-3PO I've moved on to pick up a few here and there as space and money allows ... it's funny reading what mini-rock wrote a few posts ago about giving the small figures to the kids and just collecting the 12" figures, because as I turn all of my loose 3 3/4" figures over to my son ... I find myself coveting the 12" line more and more too.

Tycho
01-09-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by IG65
I don't get packaging variations however, as I display the figures loose.

I know what you mean: it's so much better that way!

Vader 14" has always been my favorite too, but remember how he was boxed? He was too tall for a good shipping size, so they had him doing the splits just about . Once free of all that plastic and twistie-ties, he was 10x better than most of any other Star Wars toy I can think of.

Plasticfetish: I heard what you said too. My collection would feel empty or unfulfilled without the prescense of the 12" figures.

Another aspect of it for me was that I was setting up these large battles behind glass cases with my 3 3/4" - or building Mos Eisley, etc. Now where were my heroes? Well, if you looked down the street and into the bar, in the dark corner booth - there you'd find Han. But that case was not about Han Solo, it was celebrating all the diverse aliens and sandtroopers, and all the figues from that scene that Hasbro has added to our ever-growing collection - and it was a monument to my artistic abilities and creative skills to rebuild a scene out of a movie.

The "giant" 12" hero battling a handful of other giant 12" aliens on top of the case were there to celebrate those characters!

Obi-Wan Kenobi is one of 50 some characters out of the 3 3/4" behind glass - but on top, a 12" Jedi Master is the star of the show!

Kidhuman
01-10-2003, 10:51 PM
I never really got into collecting the new line of 12" figs. I statred collecting them in the vintage error. I still have about 6 or 7 of them but not in the greatest condition and not complete either. I do pick up a few but mostly when I have enough to drop 15 or 20 dollars on one of em. The only new ones I got are the Han Stormtrooper and the Luke/Yoda ones. I do want to get the Darth Vader 12" and the Super Battle Droid.

Ji'dai
01-13-2003, 08:45 PM
I received the original (the word 'vintage' makes me feel old) Darth Vader and Chewbacca for Christmas back in the late 70s when I was a kid. I ended up exchanging them for the smaller figures, which were what I usually played with anyway.

When the 12" line reappeared in the mid-90s I started buying them in doubles, which is what I do with the 3.75". But that proved to be too expensive. I didn't like the amount of money I was spending on toys, so I started buying only one of each of the 12" I really liked (from the Original Trilogy usually), or else waited until I could get them on sale or clearance.

I did get a lot of the exclusives, but I ended up passing on quite a few of the regular releases. Hasbro seems to be re-releasing some of the older ones again so maybe I'll be able to get the ones I missed out on.

I could never get that excited about the Episode I line so I only have Darth Maul and R2-A6. The AOTC 12" are on clearance now so I'll probably buy them.

The Speeder Bike was one of my favorite vehicles so I had to have at least 2 of the 12" Scout Trooper version. I also have one with Luke, and will definitely get the Leia.

The Bounty Hunters were a must have for me too.

jpak001
01-14-2003, 06:02 PM
When the line first came out (was it '96 or '97?), I gobbled 'em up! Buying all I could find until..... EXCLUSIVES :mad:

When the exclusives came out, I went nuts. Payed out the nose for Han & Taun Taun & Luke/Wampa, traded butloads of loose vintage stuff for KB Luke/Han trooper & Tarkin/Gunner, and went on like this for a while until I cracked & couldn't take it anymore (plus finding the Han/Taun Taun on clearance for $10 later really burned me up). Now I don't have the $ or space for all, but do get select few.

The 14' Vader is still one of my faves too. I remember hating the original "shorty" Vader so much that I ended up using the clothing, some model kit parts, and a GI-Joe body to customize my own (then they released the '14 Vader, ha ha!!!).

Ones that I really liked were the Bespin Luke & original Han after I customized them w/GI Joe bodies. I was able to get MUCH better poses on the GI Joe bodies!

Ook
01-17-2003, 04:15 AM
The first 12" I bought was the Tusken Raider. The pre-release photos were of a prototype with real cloth bandages and metal parts. It was stunning. Looked like a real little Tusken. I always forget that figures often look quite a bit different when they come out. But the raider is still one of the best looking 12" they've done. Never saw them in stores; he was offered in an FAO catalog I got in the mail. I didn't know about the ridiculous blaster variant, and that's the one I ended up getting. I didn't exchange it, though, because I'd already opened it and didn't want to part with him. He's on my dresser holding Luke's long rifle, now.

plasticfetish
01-17-2003, 04:43 AM
hmmm ... you're making me remember how I never got one of those Raiders ... hmmm ... must find.

Ook
01-17-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
hmmm ... you're making me remember how I never got one of those Raiders ... hmmm ... must find.
It looks fantastic. But be advised, posing is limited by a complete lack of elbow joints....

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 09:02 AM
My first and so far only 12" figure is the yellow Clone trooper, unless of course you consider the Queen Amidala and Leia Barbies 12" figures. I have four or five different ones. Originally bought for my step daughter, but she has since then contributed them to my expanding collection.

bobafrett
01-19-2003, 11:03 AM
My very first 12" figure was the Kenner Darth Vader. I think he's actually taller than 12". At the time that Kenner had released all the 12 " figures, I was to young to have a good job, or any kind of diposeable income. I got the Kenner Darth Vader from my brother, opened and without the box. I was determined to get as many if not all of the 12" figures that Hasbro put out. Like many of you before had mentioned, the store exclusives just made it too hard to complete my collection.

The Han w/Tauntaun is one of my favorites. I remember racing through a Toys R Us with three other collectors. There at the end of the isle sat 1 Han w/Tauntaun. I didn't get it. After everyone had left the store, I was walking aimlessly up and down the isles, when I happened to look up on the riser, and saw marked on a plain cardboard box the words Han w/ tauntaun. I got one of the employees to get the box down for me, and in that box sat two of the above mentioned toy. I bought one, and sat in the parking lot debating on getting the second. I left happy with the one I bought, leaving the other one for another to add to their collection.

Some of my favorites, Stormtrooper, Maul, EpI Kenobi, the older Kenobi, Biggs and Wedge, the Slave Leia with R2 is also pretty cool in it's box. The tuskens were nice.

Least favorites, the plastic Chewbacca (I never bought, I hated it so much), Boba Fett (Large body, small head), EPI's battle droid and Jar Jar.

Ones I know I don't have, but hope to run into at a garage sale instead of Ebay: Han and Luke in trooper armor, Sebulba, Boss Nass, the other version of the very young Anakin, that was in the wave with Sebulba and Nass. IG-88, because I thought $20 was to much to pay for a plastic tin man, when some of the others had these beautiful cloth outfits on. EpI's battle droid for the same reason as the IG-88. I'm sure I missed a few others, but if they sell it, I will come!

JediTricks
01-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
hmmm ... you're making me remember how I never got one of those Raiders ... hmmm ... must find. Ditto

mark2d2
02-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Greedo.

Greedo tipped the scales for me. (I know, I know, everybody hates this figure and that blasted "molded gun in hand") But you know, he is still totally my favorite. To me, he was always "the cool" obscure character --- so much more interesting to me than, say, Boba Fett. Man, did I WANT this figure. And it all seemed so impossible. I couldn't even find a JC Penny out here in Hollywood --- much less one that actually had the figure. But I casually mentioned it to Mom back in Nodak. (North Dakota) And she found one lickety split and I got me a very cool Christmas present.

What followed was the "golden" age of 12 inch collecting. Every figure seemed to be and was in fact a "must have."

Slave Leia w/ Bartending Artoo!
R5-D4!
Walrus Man w/ removable arm!
Cantina Band Members!
Leia as Boushh!
Emperor w/ Royal Guard!
Iced Han and a pretty darn accurate Carbonite Block!

In a fit of total madness, I even bought that bizarre "Chewbacca as the slightly too tall Ewok." Hands down one of the most laughable Star Wars toys EVER to see mass release.

Curiously, my interest in the prequal 12 inchers has been non-existant ---- though I very much regret passing up that Ultimate Jango. The Bounty Hunters were cool enough figures, but by then I simply had way too many of 'em to display . . . (even loose these take up the space!)

I think the last 12 inch I bought was the Death Star Droid. Which I still think is pretty amazing and a totally underated figure. He sure looks great to me.

But suddenly, there is A New Hope. Yes, I'll definitely be picking up that new Lando. Who knows? Perhaps a Gamorrean Guard too. And would by any and all means eagerly snap up whatever Cantina Alien (Hammerhead or Snaggletooth or perhaps even a Duro. . .) Hasbro decides to send down the pipe line. Not to mention a 2-1B or Drool! FX-7!

And how about a Power Droid? GONK! GONK!

bobafrett
02-11-2003, 01:04 AM
By the way, tonight I picked up the 12" Han and Luke in Stormtrooper Armor on eBay.

I also picked up the Sebulba, and Boss Nass that I was missing before at a Wal-Mart that was being remodeled. Judging by the amount of dust on them, they must have been up o the riser for sometime. :D :greedy:

Tycho
02-11-2003, 01:07 AM
Great finds! What luck with Boss Nass and Sebulba!

How much did the Han & Luke Trooper pack close for, if you don't mind me asking? That's one of my favorite sets I own!

bobafrett
02-11-2003, 09:27 AM
I picked up the 12 inch Han and Luke for $62.00 with $6.00 for shipping. I thought it was a pretty good deal. I remember paying $75 for the Luke and Bib new at FAO.

I was like a kid in a candy store, smiling from ear to ear, after finding the Sebulba and Nass figures. I had missed them the first time, I wasn't going to pass on them this time. Believe it or not, I got those 2, Sebulba and Nass, at Wal-Mart. I just read my former post, and it sounds like I picked them up on eBay, but I found them sitting on a shelf at Wal-Mart.

Ook
03-22-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by vadersfist
It looks fantastic. But be advised, posing is limited by a complete lack of elbow joints....
Wow, my bad. I've that guy since they came out, and I've just realized he does have elbow joints. They're just really stiff. :dead:

Do the initial Collector Series figs have elbow joints? I just got Obi-wan, and I can't get the arms to bend.

JediTricks
03-22-2003, 03:33 AM
Stupid HOF bodies, I hate those damn things! Yeah, they have internal geared elbow joints (reminds one of Barbie's knees) that have a pitiful range of motion.

jpak001
03-22-2003, 01:58 PM
The bodies on those early collector series really do suck....

But it is super easy to just swap the heads (via the boil & pop method) with the joe bodies. That is, if you don't mind a little customizing!

Tonysmo
03-23-2003, 01:34 AM
I've always been fond of the 12" line..

When I was a kid.. ok, ok... when I was a really young kid.. I had them.. most of them.. 1G-88, fett, luke, 3PO.. if only... ( sniff ) do I dare admit this here?? Lets just say I was uh, rough, on my toys.. thus none made it. ( yes, I still kick myself to this day ) and thus have instilled MANY rules to my own son on how to care for his own gems.. How I would have loved to pass them down ( sigh ) but I cannot..

Since starting up my collection again, The Target specials a few years ago did it for me.. Wampa w/ Luke.. too cool to pass up. I have a few different ones from that year..
I also had a buddy who knew this guy who owned a comic shop that had a Vader that was signed by prowse.. after further reviews, I thought enough of it to buy it.

I still remember MM for EP1 and searching through all the boxes looking for that one.. YES! Maul.. still MIB, the only one left.. I was very thrilled that night.

I still do search for them, specially at decent prices.. and there are a few Id like to get, but cant seem to bring myself to buying them yet... I dont know what Im waiting for.. Ive seen Dengar and a few others on sale for 10 bucks.. just cant seem to buy the Dengar though.. I know you guys all think he is great.. Im just not seeing it... I know Ill pick him up just to complete the bounty hunter collection though.. Still would like to find a Boss Nass.. and a Electronic Fett... Couldnt see paying the $40 at K&B.. ( but I did pick up TC-14.. go figure.. ) I have the 1st clone trooper, but havent picked up a red or yellow one yet.. So much to pick up, and soooo much time between paychecks.. grrr...

My latest additions have been ( lucky me ) the now sold out from EE Plo Kloon, and a Ki Amundi - as well as the half price on the deluxe Jango. Very sweet additions.. Its all good..

I have yet to add a GG to that list.. I need to pre-order it before it goes bye bye..

Ook
03-24-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Stupid HOF bodies, I hate those damn things! Yeah, they have internal geared elbow joints (reminds one of Barbie's knees) that have a pitiful range of motion.
So my HOF Cobra Commander has elbow joints too?? I can't get him to move either.

Ook
03-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by jpak001
The bodies on those early collector series really do suck....

But it is super easy to just swap the heads (via the boil & pop method) with the joe bodies. That is, if you don't mind a little customizing!
I was planning on getting Obi-wan w/ blast helmet, and dressing him in CS Obi's out fit. He's also got brown boots instead of the black one that came w/ CS, and that's more accurate.

But is that Ben's head the same as CS? Does it look better or worse???

Deoxyribonucleic
03-24-2003, 08:21 PM
My first was the Tusken with gaderffi stick - NO Imperial blaster here. I wonder, to this day, what possessed Kenner/Hasbro to do that? :confused:

The reason I got him is because he was the first one they made new that wasn't in the original vintage 12" line so I thought that was pretty cool! And now I just get the ones I like and I don't wanna sound like a bunghole :eek: but I'm so happy I was able to get my 12" speeder bike and scout. Hands down that is, to me, the best 12" fig ever made!

I miss the Action Collection packaging too, from the first 12" line that came out in 1996 or so. The box with the flap to open was just a cool idea I think! And they were very sturdy as well!

Ook
03-24-2003, 08:46 PM
They should've at least included the long rifle that 100th Luke comes with. At least it resembles the one they used in the movie. And it makes sense that they would appropriate rifles from farmers in attacks. How's a Tusken gonna get an Imperial issue blaster? Not from a stormtrooper! (Okay, no cracks about Imperial aim...) Now that I know the raider has elbows, he looks pretty cool brandishing Luke's long rifle.

A lot of 12" collectors seem to want a Tusken/bantha set. If they do it, I'd like to seem it come with a gaffi & the long rifle. I thinking it might also be cool if they used a taller or shorter body for this one. It would provide a little variety. When you stood your Tuskens side-by-side, it wouldn't be the same figure. A little natural height variation. :) And they wouldn't even have to spend money on a resculpt.

jpak001
03-24-2003, 09:08 PM
I was planning on getting Obi-wan w/ blast helmet, and dressing him in CS Obi's out fit. He's also got brown boots instead of the black one that came w/ CS, and that's more accurate.

But is that Ben's head the same as CS? Does it look better or worse???

I'm not sure if blast helmet Obi had a different head, but he did have the slightly improved HOF body. More articulation, but it's hampered by those buffed out limbs.

I never bought one myself due the dumb glow saber and lack of cloak, I think you could still find it pretty cheap though. :)

JediTricks
03-26-2003, 12:45 AM
So my HOF Cobra Commander has elbow joints too?? I can't get him to move either. Been a while since my mother's dog destroyed my poor 12" CC, but I am pretty sure that figure has elbow articulation as well. Also, HOF bodies have cut-joints in the mid-bicep, but they're a nightmare to move.

The AC Obi-Wan with blast shield helmet appears to be the same head as the CS version w/out, but has more of a sparkle to the paint. Personally, I like them both, but if I had to choose, it'd have to be the CS one since we STILL haven't gotten an Obi-Wan from ANH with a removable-blade saber.

Darth Christopher
04-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
My first was the Tusken with gaderffi stick - NO Imperial blaster here. I wonder, to this day, what possessed Kenner/Hasbro to do that? :confused:

The reason I got him is because he was the first one they made new that wasn't in the original vintage 12" line so I thought that was pretty cool! And now I just get the ones I like and I don't wanna sound like a bunghole :eek: but I'm so happy I was able to get my 12" speeder bike and scout. Hands down that is, to me, the best 12" fig ever made!

The Tusken Raider was also my first modern 12" figure for the same reason's Deoxyribonucleic gave above - funny! And I agree that the Speeder Bike w/ Scout is the best "deluxe" 12" set, but as for individually boxed 12 inchers, I'm still fond of the Cantina Band as well as Greedo - also for being very cool never-before-released 12" figures.

bobafrett
04-22-2003, 08:55 PM
I could have sworn that my 12" Tusken came with a rifle not a blaster. I'll have to go take another look. I also got the Tusken with his Gaffi stick. I can't remember what my first 12" figure was. I think it was either Luke or Ben, or maybe Darth Vader.