PDA

View Full Version : Catch Me If You Can: Movie Of The Year

Prince Xizor
12-29-2002, 02:27 PM
The day after Christmas, my friends and I went out to see the new Spielberg movie, Catch Me If You Can starring Dicaprio, Hanks, and Walken. Now, I have seen tons of movies this year, including the top runners for Best Picture including Road To Perdition, Punch-Drunk Love, Two Towers, About Schmidt, and Attack Of The, wait, scratch that one. And this movie is IMO the Best Movie of the Year. It has a great script, incredible acting, suberb direction (of course...), awesome score (Williams is the man), and it just plain ruled. I never really like Dicaprio before, but after this movie I think he is one of the most promising young actors in Hollywood. Hanks, well, is Hanks. He never does a bad job. And I think this is Christopher Walkens best performance ever. It is a serious role, and he pulled it off perfectly. The intro to the movie was very creative and entertaining, and the ending was one of the best I have seen in a while.

This movie was so good I spent another $9 to see it again the next day.

So, has anyone else seen this movie, and what do you think?

JON9000
12-30-2002, 09:01 AM
I saw this yesterday. I thought it was entertaining and clever. I never thought John Williams had a Gershwin living inside him- nice to hear something other than bombast coming from him. DiCaprio has almost exorcised the demons of Titanic. He was terrific in this, as was Christopher Walken. The guy had sort of turned into a caricature of himself over the years, but he was perfect here. Hanks is always good, but the Boston accent was a stretch. My favorite bit was the imitation DiCaprio did of a certain well known film icon. I recommend the movie wholeheartedly.

Capitan_Moroni
12-31-2002, 03:57 PM
This sounds like a delightful little romp!

2-1B
12-31-2002, 07:29 PM
I saw it today and had a fun time, but I don't think it is the movie of the year. As far as "Oscar contenders" go, I rank Catch Me below Road to Perdition, Two Towers, and Gangs of New York.

Jennifer Garner was pretty cool in her single scene. :)

Eternal Padawan
01-10-2003, 10:04 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. It made me curious to read the book.

I would have liked for them to resolve the "Lutheran" issue. Did he ever make amends with her and her family? it said he was married at the end of the film, but doing the math sounds like he got married in the 70's.

Patient Zero
01-10-2003, 10:10 AM
I really have no interest in seeing a Dicaprio film so I will wait until it comes to cable. Although, Whats Eating Gilbert Grape was a great film and Total Eclipse (about the poet Rimbaud) wasn't completely horrid either.

Jayspawn
01-10-2003, 11:16 AM
I thought it was a good flick. I don't think it was 'that great' but it was good. I'll get the DVD for sure.

2-1B
06-04-2003, 01:43 PM
The real-life Frank Abagnale, Jr. is a CLASS ACT. :)
I emailed him at his company website asking for an autographed pic. I sent my request late Sunday night, he replied Monday morning and the envelope was in my mailbox today (Wednesday) already - TWO DAYS LATER! :happy:

It's very cool because he sent a black-and-white 8x10 pic of his appearance on "To Tell The Truth" and he personalized it to me. He told me not to bother with sending a SASE so he kindly picked up the tab. He also offered to sign anything I want to send so I might mail in my DVD cover (I don't have the DVD yet but I will be getting it eventually).

Thanks Mr. Abagnale! :)

Exhaust Port
06-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Very cool Caesar, I might have to do that too. I saw this movie for the first time just last week and it was a great story. It's inspired me to read his book.

derek
06-04-2003, 07:33 PM
He also offered to sign anything I want to send

would that include fake checks? :crazed:

he might be nice, but in my opinion, he's still a scumbag who got where he is by stealing and cheating people. sure he looks all glamorous now, since leo dicaprio, tom hanks and speilburg are his "buddies", but i think people forget he's really just a con-man who's found a better paying scam.

in my opinion he should still be in prison, not making millions.:)

Exhaust Port
06-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Very true. Perhaps they could make a movie about the people's lives that he ruined. :)

jjreason
06-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Im not sure he ruined anyone's life. The cheques (at least in the movie) that he was cashing were from the airline, and in real life if a fraud cheque goes through at no fault of the customer, the bank refunds the money. Now, do any of us feel that bad if the bank gets shorted a couple of bucks? Not me.

The movie was good. Not really my cup of tea, but it definitely helped pass two plane rides we were on month before last.

2-1B
06-05-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by derek
would that include fake checks? :crazed:

No, but my friend and I were joking around about asking him to get Leo, Hanks, Walken, Jennifer Garner, and Spielberg to sign as well - but then we realized he could just forge those signatures for us ! :crazed:

he might be nice, but in my opinion, he's still a scumbag who got where he is by stealing and cheating people.

yeah, yeah, yeah and he also was a kid when he started out . . . anyway, I guess people should never get a chance to grow? :confused:

sure he looks all glamorous now, since leo dicaprio, tom hanks and speilburg are his "buddies", but i think people forget he's really just a con-man who's found a better paying scam.
in my opinion he should still be in prison, not making millions.:)

Well it's not like he charged ME anything so I can't speak of any current scams. ;) Unless he plans to take my personal information and rip me off that way. :D :D :D

Meh, people can change - I have no beef with him.

QLD
06-05-2003, 12:25 AM
getting the dvd cover signed would be sweet!

Exhaust Port
06-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Im not sure he ruined anyone's life. The cheques (at least in the movie) that he was cashing were from the airline, and in real life if a fraud cheque goes through at no fault of the customer, the bank refunds the money.

Where do you think the bank gets the money? It doesn't appear out of thin air and they just can't make more if they are running short. Where do you think they had to come up with the Millions (yes, millions) that he falsely passed? You start stealing that kind of money and someone loses and it isn't the thief. Employees and other borrowers as they see their interest rates get hiked on personal loans and morgages. Thanks for screwing the rest of us.

Also, I'm not sure that everyone does get a free ride from the bank if they accept a false check. There were probably a good portion of his victims that had to eat their losses. Nice.

Now, do any of us feel that bad if the bank gets shorted a couple of bucks? Not me.

2-1B
06-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Well . . . all I know is that I sent a nice email to guy who USED to be a thief and apparently changed his ways. He was nice enough to send me a kind email and an autographed pic.
I doubt Charles Manson would fulfill my request. :rolleyes:

If he is still a scam artist as derek contends, well I really can't speak to that. I'm just happy to add this to my autograph collection. :)

2-1B
06-06-2003, 02:37 AM
http://www.abagnale.com/comments.htm

I found this written on Abagnale's website at the above address.
I was quite interested to read it . . .

Comments from Frank W. Abagnale concerning the book and the film, Catch Me If You Can.

I feel it is necessary to make the following statement concerning the book and the film, Catch Me If You Can. The reasons for this statement is to provide clarification and accuracy.

I wrote the book, Catch Me If You Can, more than 23 years ago. Obviously, this was written from my perspective as a 16-year old with the help of a co-writer (I'm now 54 and I sold the movie rights in 1980). I was interviewed by the co-writer only about four times. I believe he did a great job of telling the story, but he also over dramatized and exaggerated some of the story. That was his style and what the editor wanted. He always reminded me that he was just telling a story and not writing my biography. This is one of the reasons that from the very beginning, I insisted the publisher put a disclaimer in the book and tapes.

It has been reported that I had written $10 million, $8 million and $5 million worth of bad checks. The actual amount was $2.5 million. I was never on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List as this is reserved for very violent criminals who pose a threat to society. All of the crimes I committed were when I was between the ages 16 and 21. I served time in prison in France, Sweden and the United States. In the U. S. Federal Court, I was sentenced as a youthful offender because of my age at the time the crimes were committed. Even so, I was given 12 years of which I served a total of five years. This was considered harsh punishment then and almost unheard of today.

I have been married for over 25 years and I am the proud father of three sons. When I was 28 years old, I thought it would be great to have a movie about my life, but when I was 28, like when I was 16, I was egotistical and self-centered. We all grow up. Hopefully we get wiser. Age brings wisdom and fatherhood changes one's life completely. I consider my past immoral, unethical and illegal. It is something I am not proud of. I am proud that I have been able to turn my life around and in the past 25 years, helped my government, my clients, thousands of corporations and consumers deal with the problems of white collar crime and fraud.

I know that Hollywood has made a number of changes to the story, but I am honored that Steven Spielberg, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks participated in the making of the movie inspired by my life. It is important to understand that it is just a movie… not a biographical documentary.

Frank W. Abagnale
September 3, 2002

derek
06-06-2003, 03:53 PM
perhaps my words were a bit harsh, but i just have a problem with someone profiting from past crimes. i know he was young, but he knew what he was doing, and he knew it was wrong.

if he's now a law abiding citizen, that's great, but i still have a problem with him becoming a millionaire as the direct result of his criminal past.:)

2-1B
06-06-2003, 11:22 PM
I won't argue that point derek, he certainly IS profiting from his past. :)

It's just kinda weird though because on another level he is actually making his own way in a legitimate way . . . with his securities work . . . but he wouldn't be such a consulted person if he hadn't in fact swindled people in the past.
Know what I mean ? :D

JediTricks
06-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
I never thought John Williams had a Gershwin living inside him- nice to hear something other than bombast coming from him. I finally saw this film last weekend and one of the things that struck me was what you said, this was a much more subdued Williams, yet much of it felt more apropos to the film than his other recent scores. I had always heard that Johnny Williams was a jazz man from back in the day, but lately it seemed like he has just the 1 thing - mega orchestra attack. ;) CMIYC really changed my opinion of that.

Oh, and I thought the film was pretty entertaining, but couldn't commit to being a light comedic film or a character study.

perhaps my words were a bit harsh, but i just have a problem with someone profiting from past crimes. i know he was young, but he knew what he was doing, and he knew it was wrong.

if he's now a law abiding citizen, that's great, but i still have a problem with him becoming a millionaire as the direct result of his criminal past.:) Ah, but if it weren't for his criminal experiences, his advances in anti-check-fraud measures might not exist and they save the banking community and its customers money every day. It's not as if he's still receiving money from the checks he forged a quarter-century ago, he isn't using the knowledge of his crimes to commit more crimes, he's using that knowledge to prevent more crimes.

Exhaust Port
06-09-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Ah, but if it weren't for his criminal experiences, his advances in anti-check-fraud measures might not exist and they save the banking community and its customers money every day. It's not as if he's still receiving money from the checks he forged a quarter-century ago, he isn't using the knowledge of his crimes to commit more crimes, he's using that knowledge to prevent more crimes.

If it wasn't for war we wouldn't have guns so we should thank the invaders. Without theft we wouldn't have safes at the bank so we should thank the bank robbers. Poor logic.

2-1B
06-10-2003, 12:38 AM
:eek:

That's not poor logic as I see it.

The war and bank analogies would apply here if Abagnale was STILL ripping people off and "forcing" OTHERS to come up with a defense.
No, instead HE is the one designing new security measures.

Sorry Exhaust Port, I can't agree with you on this one. :)

Exhaust Port
06-10-2003, 09:39 AM
But to say that anti-fraud security measures wouldn't exist without his involvement in being a con-artist is false. As you said, if Abagnale wasn't helping it would "force" someone else to come up with it.

The ends can't justify the means.

2-1B
06-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
As you said, if Abagnale wasn't helping it would "force" someone else to come up with it.

No, that's not what I said. :rolleyes:
I implied that if Abagnale was still comitting crimes, it would force others to come up with security measures. You used the comparison of banks and wars, I argue that the Abagnale comparison would be valid only during the following situation:

Suppose Abagnale was still running around forging checks and the "others" had no choice but to come up with new security measures.
Now imagine that we were singing his praises in this thread because his crimes lead "us" to better security measures.

In THAT case, yes the bank robber analogy would work just fine. The end would not justify the means.

But in this case we see a guy who has a talent for forgery so he now uses that talent to prevent it. Since he has changed his criminal ways and repented for them, he really is no different than a straight laced kid who studies the history of forgery and works his or her way into the anti-theft business. :)

Exhaust Port
06-10-2003, 12:24 PM
But the reason he was given the opportunity by the FBI to work with them was for him to help stop the very same crimes he commited. Without the Abagnal's of the world we wouldn't need those security measures.

If I were to practice breaking into my neighbors house every night and stealing his valuables and then turn around and sell him a security system to stop people like me from doing the same again, would I be a good person for changing my ways? I doubt that my neighbor would see it that way.

The Overlord Returns
06-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
But the reason he was given the opportunity by the FBI to work with them was for him to help stop the very same crimes he commited. Without the Abagnal's of the world we wouldn't need those security measures.

If I were to practice breaking into my neighbors house every night and stealing his valuables and then turn around and sell him a security system to stop people like me from doing the same again, would I be a good person for changing my ways? I doubt that my neighbor would see it that way.

While it is nice to THINK that we could one day be free of criminal activity in this world, lets face it, that is a pipe dream. The point here is the guy did something wrong, but was given the chance to make right by his past crimes and do some good in the world. He chose the right path. If not for his in depth knowledge due to his "hands on" experience in forgery and fraud, it might have taken years longer to make the kind of leaps in the world of banking security that Abagnale helped progress.

Unless you feel that any criminal is a criminal and should never be offered a chance at rehabilitation.

Exhaust Port
06-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
He chose the right path.

It wasn't like he had an epiphiany or something and turned good. The man was jailed 3 times in 3 different countries. When he was in the US, the government offered him a chance to work along side the FBI. He took it for his freedom. Either he worked with them or spent another 5-10 behind bars.

At no point did I feel that he was sorry for what he did. He never turned himself in. In fact, he fled the country to avoid the law. He only "helped" when he was offered a release from jail. He's never repaid anyone.

A criminal should only be rehabilitated if they want to be. Show a true desire to change and I'm all for helping them out. They just have to realize that their criminal background is going to follow them forever and prevent them from having certain luxuries (say owning a gun) or getting certain jobs (a security job at the bank).