PDA

View Full Version : i've seen too many war movies....

derek
12-29-2002, 07:54 PM
.....i just got back from the emergency room, after sticking an exacto pen-knife in my thigh.:crazed:

i was cutting some plastic off a GI Joe helmet, and the knife slipped and i ended up sticking it in my leg.:eek: i pulled it out and a stream of blood shot out about a foot. it didn't hurt at all, but the first thing that came to mind were scenes in Black Hawk Down and Band of Brothers which involved soldiers dying after having an artery severed in their leg. the blood shot out of my leg just like it did to those woulded soldiers. that scared me, so i said without even looking at the wound, i'm going to the hospital!!!

now my wound was no where near as bad as something suffered on the battlefield, but i was bleeding all over everything. after getting a little lightheaded(cause i'm a big sissy) i finally got the bleeding to stop, and luckily a friend was here to drive me to the doctor.

when the nurse cleaned all the blood off my leg, i was kinda embarrased because the wound wasn't big, but the doctor got to looking at it, and said it was "rather deep". long story short, i got some stitches, and a tetnus shot, but they jiped me out of a sucker! ;)

moral to the story, don't cut GI Joe helmets with a knife while holding it on your leg.:)

Leatherneck
12-29-2002, 08:02 PM
That reminds me of something I read:

A guy was cutting a GI Joe helmet with an Xacto knife and ended up cutting his thumb, right to the bone. Even today, when it's cold out, he can feel the flesh separating. :eek:

Darth Trymybestus
12-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Hey Leatherneck, you read the black hawk down novel? it talks about a Navy SEAL called John ***, he was shot and the bullet hit his commando knife and shattered it and saved his life :)

Tycho
12-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Amongst the stupid things I did, I needed stitches for nearly cutting my finger tip off trying to make a custum Han Endor Shield Bunker way back in 1997.

The results?

1) When it was done, some of my SW friends asked "What's the difference?" to which I replied, "Han's got his vest on, but he has the yellow stripes on his pants!"

I'd used the knife or whatever tool I was using then to separate his body more, so I could get the molded arms in trench-coat sleeves off of him, and add back regular Han Solo arms. I think I had boiled water to get the old arms off, but was having trouble getting new ones ON without limiting articulation.

2) Five years and 7 or 8 stitches in the emergency room later, Hasbro has this action figure on the blue card in your local store, today, right now :rolleyes:

I'm never buying that Han! I kept my custom and proudly display it in my Endor briefing scene!

I kept my finger, and I'm proudly using it to type this stupid post!

QLD
12-29-2002, 08:21 PM
Well, you haven't lived until you have stepped on a hot charcoal barefoot......with both feet even.

Leatherneck
12-29-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
Hey Leatherneck, you read the black hawk down novel? it talks about a Navy SEAL called John ***, he was shot and the bullet hit his commando knife and shattered it and saved his life :)

Yes, I've read it. It's one of my favorite books and movies. :)

Darth Trymybestus
12-29-2002, 09:03 PM
I got the We Were Soldiers Once and Young novel for Christmas, I saw that in a movie theater on a trip to New York City and thought it was intense and probably the best nam movie.
I've got the DVD too, there's a good documentary on there.
Full Metal Jacket is almost in a league of it's own though :) That movie is HARSH!!!

sith_killer_99
12-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Derek,

Next time just apply a field dressing. If the bleeding continues then apply a pressure dressing. If the wound continues to bleed (you will probably die or loose a limb) apply a tourniquet. Evacuate the patient. DO NOT remove tourniquet under ANY circumstances.;)

Tycho
12-29-2002, 10:23 PM
If you have a saw, you could play Civil War Hospital!

-or recreate the opening scene from Dances With Wolves.

Dark Knight
12-29-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
If you have a saw, you could play Civil War Hospital!

-or recreate the opening scene from Dances With Wolves.

Or do what I did when I cut my finger to the bone with a very sharp knife at work(Pizza Hut). Went up to the manager and asked if he had a ban-aid? He found it funny.:eek:

plasticfetish
12-30-2002, 02:07 AM
OK. Stop now ... you're all freaking me out with these stories about x-acto knives and pizza cutters slipping and slicing off limbs.

derek, seriously ... cut AWAY from yourself.
Oh god how the idea of anyone busting an artery with a craft knife freaks me out.
Hi! I'm the guy who at work once stood at the very top of a 20 foot ladder, on one leg with a battery powered circular saw ... cutting bent Plexiglas. BUT, this slicey bladey stuff ... uaauauuaaahggg!

"i was kinda embarrased because the wound wasn't big"
What are you saying? You stabbed yourself with an x-acto blade ... guAGAGHHHH!!!

Good Night! Thanks for the nightmares people.

JediTricks
12-30-2002, 07:54 PM
What's the moral of this story? Oh yeah, cut away from yourself, cut on solid workspaces, and BE FREAKIN' CAREFUL!!! ;)

I've sliced myself plenty of times with knives, but almost never stabbed. Deep slices with x-acto blades especially suck because the cut is so thin that you don't feel it at first, but then if you open it up you really start to feel the stinging pain that lasts for days.

I once accidentally jabbed a small phillips-head screwdriver into the side of my index finger right above the big knuckle and it just stayed there when I let go of it, that was a shocker to see it just sitting there embedded in my finger.

bigbarada
01-01-2003, 03:21 AM
I almost sliced my left index finger off while trying to trim the excess vinyl off an old Horizon model of the Incredible Hulk. I was stationed in Germany at the time and had snuck into our electronics shop on the weekend to use the heatgun (which we used for the shrinkwrap wire sleeves). Well, I left a pretty nasty trail of blood all the way out the door, but managed to bandage it myself and it healed up pretty nicely within a week. However, I was told to never use Army property for personal hobbies ever again and many of my friends razzed me about needing adult supervision around sharp objects for weeks after that.
:rolleyes: :D

I also sliced my thumb open with a piece of broken glass when I was in 1st grade and specifically remember turning in a homework assignment soaked in blood to my horrified teacher.

Then there was the time that I stabbed myself between the eyes with a sharp pencil.......

sith_killer_99
01-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Big B, three words...waste...fraud...and abuse.;)

JK

Welcome back.:D

Tycho
01-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
However, I was told to never use Army property for personal hobbies ever again :rolleyes: :D

:D Did George Bush and Dick Cheney just miss that memo or something?

Jedi Clint
01-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
:D Did George Bush and Dick Cheney just miss that memo or something?

Hyuck Hyuck. Hyuck. If they did, then Bill and Al missed it during their time in office also. Hyuck Hyuck Hyuck.

Dark Knight
01-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Talking about accidents. My brother just get burnt tonight w/ hot grease at work. Spent 4 hr in the ER. He will be out of work for at least two days.
:cry: