PDA

View Full Version : where do you keep your collection?

sergiurusu
12-30-2002, 03:31 AM
Where do you keep your collection? On shelves, showing it to everyone visiting you or in somewhere closed under hard protection? :D Most of you have a complete AF collection so I'd be interested in knowing this...

I keep mine secured in 4 huge drawers, but that's because I don't have enough space to show them all. I have out only one AT-AT, the large Vader's TIE Fighter and one AT-ST. Maybe nmext year when the new house is ready I'll put them on shelves there

good shot jansen
12-30-2002, 07:50 AM
i bought mason some stackable drawer shelf units, which are in his closet. all the action fleet are kept within these units.

as for the mm's, they are kept in a clear plastic oversized shoe box.

the die casts are displayed on one of his book cases.

the x-rays and other similar sized plastic ships (series alpah, jc penny etc.) are kept in a slightly smaller plastic box than the mm's.

he keeps the plastic boxes on his desk for quick and easy diversion reasons during homework time.

cloneemperor
12-30-2002, 12:47 PM
Right now my entire collection is packed into some boxes and bins in a back room. I'm living in my in-laws basement so there just isn't enough room for me to have it out

SWAFMAN
12-30-2002, 09:32 PM
The boxed ones are in stacks against the walls of our upper floor (finished attic). Not ideal, but better than the basement for non-musty-ness. I did get burned on this strategy last spring when a roof leak got several boxes wet, but most recovered well. The more long-term foruMMers all recall my whine-fest over that debacle.

The loose ones started on a shelf unit in the computer room, then overflowed to an adjacent chest-of-drawers top, the computer desk itself, and the top of my computer case, as well as few loose Battle Squads atop the stack of boxed battle squads, and other non-AF figures, etc, atop a couple bookcases.

I need a real display shelving solution, eventually! :rolleyes:

JediTricks
12-31-2002, 12:59 AM
Unwisely, on a VERY full entertainment center in my bedroom, each shelf is bursting with Galoob product except for the top which is Gundam. The playsets are all in the closet though, I have no space left for those.

Jedi Idej
12-31-2002, 02:05 AM
Right now the figs are in tackle boxes and the ships are in storage bins. I intend to make display cases, but every time I get down to finalizing the plans, I change my mind. How wide? How deep? What type of wood? Glass or acrylic front? Glass or wood shelves? Painted or stained? It sucks being indecisive.

vulcantouch
12-31-2002, 01:12 PM
wouldn't do ya any good if it did, cuz i literally Sleep next to mine :D to coin a phrase i don't stand on display ceremony and just store all "currently fashionable" ones under a strong light in an oversized shoebox-lid front & center on what i spose you'd call my "nightstand". when i wanna single a few out for viewing i array them on a small flat space next to that, & freqently gaze over while zonin out to conin, craigers & dave on the tube. i keep the remaining "currently unfashionable" portion of my mm ships (1/2 to 1/3 of the collection) in a secured case nearby for convenient swapouts as the seasonal vibe shifts. and when cafe-slummin during the day i just take the lid with me (maybe we'll remember to photo it on 1/2/3 tea though it ain't much to look at). for me this is better than a fixed elaborate display cuz mm's discreetness & portability lends itself so well to on-the-go "guerilla deployment enjoyment" :D
vt

haggie
01-01-2003, 05:41 PM
... in a van down by the river!

Actually, mine are all in boxes right now. I posted this photo (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=163708)a few months back as a joke about seeing my collection "in all it's glory" but the collection actually includes a new box now to go along with those. I do woodwork as a side hobby and have plans to build a nice display case for my collection one day. I'm holding off until I build my dream house because I don't like the thought of building a really nice display case only to have it damaged in transportation accross the country (because my dream house will not exist in Colorrado since this is not my dream state to live in).

SWAFMAN
01-01-2003, 07:35 PM
posted by haggie on 01-01-2003 at 05:41 PM
(because my dream house will not exist in Colorrado since this is not my dream state to live in).

I'm frequently accused of living a dream state....

Extremely off-topic, but just out of curiosity, what is your "dream" state to live in, Haggie?

RobertDD
01-02-2003, 11:11 AM
I had a custom glass display case made that fits my entire collection (and I'm about complete on the action fleet)

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 07:40 AM
Ack oop Haggie! That's nary a collection m'boy, it's a shipment. Let the stuff breath once in a while, the current vista is far from entertaining... too much of that "brown cardboard" motif I guess. ;)

JediDBM
01-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Unfortuneatly my collection is too large to even put on display right now, everything I own (as far as my collection) is in a friends basement waiting to make its re-appearance some day, but until then, I continue to buy new things, put them in a box and then once I fill that box, it goes with everything else, in my friends basement.

stillakid
01-05-2003, 06:28 PM
My whole Star Wars toy collection (with just a couple exceptions) is kept here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php?ppuser=58&cat=500&thumb=1). My Micromachines are kept in one of those larger plastic bins.

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 12:14 PM
You just posted yor collection didnt you stillakid? do you collect the micromachine sets that have the ships in them. You get like a dozen little ships in each package. Dont know a whole lot about them, my wife has started buying these sets for me.

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by haggie
... in a van down by the river!

Actually, mine are all in boxes right now. I posted this photo (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=163708)a few months back as a joke about seeing my collection "in all it's glory" but the collection actually includes a new box now to go along with those. I do woodwork as a side hobby and have plans to build a nice display case for my collection one day. I'm holding off until I build my dream house because I don't like the thought of building a really nice display case only to have it damaged in transportation accross the country (because my dream house will not exist in Colorrado since this is not my dream state to live in).
you sound about like me, waiting patiently to someday display your stuff again.

stillakid
01-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by JediDBM
You just posted yor collection didnt you stillakid? do you collect the micromachine sets that have the ships in them. You get like a dozen little ships in each package. Dont know a whole lot about them, my wife has started buying these sets for me.

Uh, yeah. :) I haven't actively collected MM for quite some time. I got the whole first wave of stuff but stopped eventually when I had to make a decision on what kind of collection I really wanted. I chose the 4" line of stuff, but find that the occassional MM or AF item completes a nice display. IE, the AF Snowspeeders go well with the large AT AT and the MM Jawas and droids look great next to the large Vintage Sandcrawler.

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 02:15 PM
I hadn't thought about that before now, but you are absolutly right, you put the AF snowspeeder with the 3 3/4 ATAT, you have a perfect scale match. Was that an accidental discovry or how did you realize this?

Wookiee
01-07-2003, 03:28 PM
ala Harry Potter.

I don't have a desk right now, or maybe I'd let a couple out. I visit them when I can, so they don't get lonely.

stillakid
01-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by JediDBM
I hadn't thought about that before now, but you are absolutly right, you put the AF snowspeeder with the 3 3/4 ATAT, you have a perfect scale match. Was that an accidental discovry or how did you realize this?

Uh, I don't know. It just seemed right somehow...:D

JediTricks
01-09-2003, 11:55 PM
IMO, a "perfect" match is the MM Snowspeeder with the AF AT-AT, not only perfect size issues but unlike the POTF2 AT-AT, the AF one actually looks good. :D

BTW, came across a ton of old AF boxes (and MM Playset ones too) last night so I popped the tape on 'em, flattened 'em, and put them in a bigger box in the closet. That helped free up TONS of space, turning my closet from 7'-high full all the way to the door into a real walk-in closet again! :D

jeddah
01-11-2003, 07:08 PM
All in the loft of my parents till I find a nice lil flat ;)

jeddah

haggie
01-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
Extremely off-topic, but just out of curiosity, what is your "dream" state to live in, Haggie?

Back to my home state, Alaska. Colorado is nice if you live in the mountains. Otherwise, well, I'll just shut up now...

Originally posted by JediTricks
Ack oop Haggie! That's nary a collection m'boy, it's a shipment. Let the stuff breath once in a while, the current vista is far from entertaining... too much of that "brown cardboard" motif I guess. ;)

I used to take them out all the time but I got sick of packing them back up :D I'll certainly have to take them all out again to take loose photos for my website and I bet that time will come before my cabinet is built. And hey, the ugly brown cardboard seems to match the ugly brown prairie pretty well.