PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm selling out...

Warstar
12-31-2002, 04:58 PM
Greetings everyone. I bring sad news.

After years of collecting, I am selling it all- all my Spawn, my Star Wars, my cards, comics- you name it- including all of my Star Wars Action Fleet, Star Trek Micro Machines and Star Wars Micro Machines.

I do have some stuff to settle on this board- namely to people who helped me collect certain things, I offer them back. However, I am doing the greedy offensive thing and attempting to sell them at collector prices...I won't really do any deals. Oddly enough, I need the funadge for my Senior Film at MSU, and to help me get out of $75,000 of debt.

Now then...it's been forever, but someone here GAVE me the Rogue 2 Rebel Snowspeeder AF. I would like to give that back, since I did promise him I would never sell it. If you're still around, stand up and be counted.

I have a Star Trek Limited Set (#1) factory sealed. It's like $25 on Ebay (Comes with the Enterprise 1701-A). I offer it to anyone here for that price.

I have a Kay-Bee exclusive Galaxy Collector's set for Star Wars (sealed) and a Rebel Forces Gift Pack and Imperial Forces Gift Pack, former Target exclusives, sealed, with MATCHING Collector numbers sticker numbers (not that anyone cares, but I got 'em ;)) 034125. Don't know their worth, if any, since SW MM's are a dime a dozen it seems.

Either way, I didn't mean this to be a classified ad- I wanted to tell you guys- R2, VT, JediTricks, Baal Jr., etc. about me bailing on it. And since all of you helped me so much through the years with collecting these pieces, I only thought it fair to offer them here to you first.

It's like selling love. It sucks. But I have to do it...'sides, when I make a million, I'll buy it all back :D

LTBasker
12-31-2002, 05:51 PM
Man that sucks, hope you can get out of debt. I can't really call this 'selling out', though.

good shot jansen
01-01-2003, 11:40 AM
oy!:frus: we don't hear from you for what seems an eterinty, and this is how ya come slinkin back in? :rolleyes: oy!

well, if that's how it's gotta be, then that's how it's gotta be.....i guess:sur:

anyway, the rogue 2 was courtisey of moi, so if you want to return it, that's fine by me. i'll pm ya with my mailing address.
i'm sorry to hear that you have to bag it in for monetary reasons, it ain't like it's unexpected though, you were makin' rumblin's along these lines some time ago, that's when i told ya not to sell the snowspeeder.

anyway, i wish you all the best for this new year and all the new years to follow.

man, the 2nd largest spawn collection in the world is about to go poof. i know that hurts. good luck with school and your film career.

jeddah
01-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Oh, what a surprise, another cry of wolf :rolleyes:

Best of luck though, WS. I have been in a similar bind for the past 2 years so I know how demoralising it is.

jeddah

Warstar
01-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks LTBasker, Jeddah, GSJ :)

Do e-mail me with your addy, GSJ- I did love the lil' bugger while it was here though :). I promised I wouldn't sell and I am making good on it. The other AF's I have? Can't promise a thing there...

Jeddah- yeah it sucks to sigh and admit defeat. I maybe losing the battle, but the war has just begun :Pirate:

LTBasker- I agree! SAVE FARSCAPE! I love that show!!! I always thought Moya, a Prowler, Crichton's Module- and maybe even a Peackeeper Command Carrier- would have made GREAT AF'S! I would buy those...getting out of collecting or not!

Anyway, I won't be selling/shipping much until I get back to Montana, so you may not hear much from me until next week. I have to get back to packing now :(

good shot jansen
01-02-2003, 07:25 AM
don't get me wrong. i don't want you to give up the snowspeeder, in fact if you say that your gonna keep it, then by all means, please do. i sent it to you cause you had stated that you needed one, and as i had a dupe laying around gathering dust, i figured it would find a good home with you.

i just don't want it being sold, as i had not sold it to you. so if you want to hang on to it, please do, the pleasure would be all mine.

but if you really don't want to hold on to it, then send it to me, and i will then forward it on to someone else who needs it. prolly our new roumainian poster sergi. as he prolly has the hardest time of anyone trying to track down action fleet, and according to his list, he has yet to acquire the rogue 2 speeder.

vulcantouch
01-02-2003, 09:56 AM
. . .& lotsa other of your mm ships for that matter :evil: bring some up for tea today & we'll cut a deal-
vt

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Sorry to hear that WS, good luck with your financial difficulties. I guess you'll be building a taste for Top Ramen soon huh? A lot of Top Ramen at that level of debt. :(

Oh, and if you have the HMS Bounty MM, LMK what you're asking.

Warstar
01-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Well 80% of my stuff made it here to Montana, and I have begun the sale. I still have the MM Snowspeeder- and it is hence buried in my second bedroom in my apartment here...I might keep it anyway...but for now, it's buried so it will be returned in a while if at all ;-)

Anyway, yeesh! Sold my Collector Fleet SSD for $147.50...but, VT, as I am sure you will be happy to hear, I started my auction at cost ($29.99- minus the tax I paid mind you). That was the first piece to go, and the one I probably loved the most...dammit...this is going to be harder than I thought...but it shall be done. Up next are the POTJ B-Wing, AT-ST, TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber...and some SW Premiere CCG stuff (an unopened box to be precise).

It's liberating and debilitating all at the same time :(

vulcantouch
01-23-2003, 12:52 PM
then don't tout me bout no irrelevant opening price, tell me you'll sell b'jr your opened st le collector set #3 for $30, i.e. 3 times what you paid for it :greedy: (coulda given you cash on the head if you'd shown up for our tea (http://r2toyforce.net/vttime2003.htm) 3 weeks ago :o) he'll also give you good deals on many of your other scifimm ships so Be In Touch ahem ahem :p
as for me, if you got any figs (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16224) or fig accessories (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8625) i seek lmk :)
& don't forget, jt axed if you have an hms k-bop above so keep him in mind too :evil:
vt

Warstar
01-26-2003, 11:02 PM
*Grins*

Yeah, well, you know- of course, normally, I would do that...but, uh, yeah- that set's worth a tad bit more than that...and I have to find it -_-; So, uh, not at the moment.

As for the other stuff you need/want, I don't have a lot of those things, dang it- but, yeah, I DO want good trade Karma...

SO! I am going to be opening a box at a time, seeing as how I don't remember what all is in them- and selling whatever is there slowly but surely. I just put some old CCG's on Ebay, and tomorrow is the POTJ ships...

GOD THIS SUCKS! :cry:

vulcantouch
01-26-2003, 11:10 PM
meanwhile, you at least gonna let us know what you got & give us Here 1st crack at it Before turnin to escalpay, aincha? :greedy:

Warstar
02-04-2003, 02:28 AM
It's going slow for now, but yeah- a crack at all the Micro's and AF's will go here first for sure :)

Glitch
02-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi Warstar,

I'm sorry to see you sell your collection. Actually, I was in a similar bind when I was in college.

I remember it like it was yesterday.........

Hair was long, love was free, and change was in the air. It was also a time of social and political turmoil...

What am I talking about? It was 1994. :)

Anyway, I was forced to sell off my entire carded vintage Star Wars figure collection. This included a complete C-10 (unpunched) set of the original 12 figures on 12-back cards - including a C-10 vinyl caped Jawa. The Jawa alone sold for close to $7,000.

Nonetheless, it hurt.

Now to offer a bright side to the story...

When I received my degree in Industrial Design, I was lucky enough to get a well paying job that allowed me to buy everything back from that same person at a significantly lower price than I sold them for. :)

Your education comes first, so you simply doing what needs to be done.

Good Luck!

icatch9
02-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Hey Kevin Smith did the same thing, and he'd doing pretty good now. Best of luck to you :D.

haggie
02-07-2003, 02:36 PM
So if I died and my wife sold all my SW crap would that make her a scalper? :D Don't pay attention to VT's rambling about how you have turned scalper, Warstar. It's your collection, do whatever you want with it. You're not a scalper because you didn't go out and buy up everything with the intention of selling it on the black market. You bought things for your personal enjoyment and now that you are forced to sell it there's no reason to not get fair market value. If you want to be nice and offer certain things to members on this board, that's your business. I have a comic collection and you'd better believe that I ocassionaly sell an issue for a massive profit. It's the nature of collecting. Taking advantage of other collectors is what makes somebody a scalper. Selling a collection is not taking advantage of anybody.

vulcantouch
02-08-2003, 01:04 PM
while haggie's injudicious shot-across-mah-bow Certainly motivates me to more quickly reproduce here my Def & Analysis Of The Term "Scalping" (formerly located on the now-deleted Old Forums archive), since many of you are already intimate with my "ramblings" i don't spose i need rush to contest haggie's advice to "pay no attention" to them. instead, i'd encourage More attention be paid to His as, in contrast to the meticulous scrutiny my "ramblings" have always borne, the closer you look at his the less they hold together. his use of the terms "forced", "intention", "taking advantage" and "fair" in particular reveal themselves to be self-servingly slippery to the point of uselessness, esp. in the light of the clarifying specificity my def shines on the issue of scalping :p

"So if I died and my wife sold all my SW crap would that make her a scalper?"
-hmph, and you hoped to give us here the impression you were actually Familiar enough w/my "rambling" to deem it such? :rolleyes: if you Had done yer homework you'd know that only if wifey sold for More Than The Price You Paid then yes, by my def she'd indeed be a scalper- and that there's a very spelled-out reasoning for that VerdicT :p
vt

haggie
02-08-2003, 01:29 PM
I understand and agree with most of your opinions on scalping but also think your definition is a bit extreme and isn't fair in every respect. After readin' through this thread again I thought I would defend Warstar's decision to sell his collection. A had to balance it out since you were giving him such a hard time. :cool: Don't take my tawk about your "ramblings" to heart (though I'm sure you didn't). I was just pokin' ya with a stick, then running away. :p As my future-scalper wife would say, I was being a "sassy brat" :eek:

vulcantouch
02-19-2003, 10:41 PM
"your definition is a bit extreme and isn't fair in every respect"
-one must pick one's battles, even re "fairness"; but feel free to point out which "unfairnesses" of my def (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=224333#post224333) (newly reproduced at gendiscuss for our convenient reference :D ) bug ya specifically :)

"you were giving him such a hard time"
-think so? shucks, considering the notorious severity of my position i think i've been downright Easy on him, atypically putting my faith in the antimaxim "you might get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a gun" ;) he & i go back a few years, done favors for each other & swapped lotta tawk so i figure he understands my tone :)

"Don't take my tawk about your "ramblings" to heart (though I'm sure you didn't)"
-don't worry aboot that, cuz in situations like these i simply strive to be a mirror- one which contains "only what you bring with you", mmm yes ;)
vt

britcit3
02-22-2003, 02:54 PM
I'M SELLING OUT TOO !!!!!!!!

(Well, sort of).

Just before any accusations of being an uber-scalper fly, I just though that I would post this as I will be auctioning much of my boxed collection of MM's in the next few weeks.

But there is a reason............

After a 9 year engagement and 1 little boy, me and the mrs are finally getting married on the 21st of June in a stately home, come castle, in the English Lake District (where Wordsworth wandered lonely as a cloud).

However, my stag night is in Budapest (Hungary), but the mrs won't let me spend household finances to get there (as her hen night is in Blackpool, 20 miles down the road).

Hence, I am reluctantly selling off most of my boxed up stuff (it has been up in the attic for about a year anyway - so I won't miss most of it).

There is a plus point in all this though - whilst taking pics of my various offerings to be sold, I took one of the 9 boxed Trilogy die-casts.

I looked at the A-Wing and thought "what the Hell" and opened it. Boy, was that the best thing that I did all week - man, that metal A-wing is BEAUTIFUL.

I then opened all my other Tril Die-casts- they are GREAT.

Love the A-Wing, Snowspeeder and Executer - the detail is unbelievable (the other 6 that I have are great too).

Anyways, just thought that I would warn you of an onslaught of BC3 auctions and the reason why.

Later

BC3

Warstar
02-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Comparatively. He gave me hell for selling some stuff a long time ago, but that's water under the bridge.

I think he knows that this is for real this time- last time I did sell stuff I bought for profit 'cause I had extra. This, I am not...I already lost my POTJ B-Wing...and AT-ST and so on and so forth.

I have made about $1200 so far...the biggest surprise is the NES copy of Final Fantasy 1 going for $225...I had one factory sealed from a long time ago...

I am selling my ILM VFX crew stuff now and THAT sucks. Hell, the whole thing sucks, but all I can think about is not making by March 5th- and I have to do it somehow...

I do plan on getting it all back someday- I am keeping an unbelieveably accurate list and I have pics of them all as they sell. I'll know what to get again someday.

It's hard though. It's like selling love- and there's no price you can put on it...

I'm not sure what to do with my 3D life size Oit Droid, Battle Droid, Destryoer Droid and R2-D2...I want them, and shipping will be major $$$ when I do sell them...

I have decided, however, that I am keeping my Star Wars Legos- and that I will continue to collect them as well. Makes my UCS Blockade Runner all the more cooler :D

AND- I love the Mini ones :D

So, keep watching Ebay- I havn't started into my MM's yet- but I am about to start into the Action Masters (Metal ones) soon.

jeddah
02-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Congratulations BC3

I am very happy for you. :) I wish you both a long and happy life together with BC3jr. I am also glad that you could enjoy your DCs in the flesh [or metal?] too.

Why Budapest though?

jeddah

britcit3
02-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Thanks Jeddah.

Why Budapest ? Bored of Amsterdam (where we always go on stag do's (& the mrs wasn't very happy with the thought of me going there on mine !!)).

Also - pints of beer are allegedly 10 pence in Hungary - bargain !!

BC3

PS here is a web page that I have sent to my friends who are coming in June - have a look at the hall where we are staying........

http://freespace.virgin.net/james.hobson/wedding.htm

good shot jansen
02-24-2003, 11:47 AM
having spent a little bit of time in budapest, (the jansen clan are originally from hungary, and we had an office in pest, eevn designed and built a few buildings there too boot), i can vouch for the cheap cost of brew, at least it was back in the daze of communism. (havn't been back since 1990).

a favorite haunt of mine was a punk rock club called feketeuk (black hole in hungarian). spent many a drunken night slam dancin' behind the iron curtain.

there was a bar called fregatt located in pest which prolly was the closest thang to a british pub.

in buda is the new york bar. the decor and architecture of this particular establishment harkens back to a beax arts style. excellent chech pilsner is served on draught in enourmous glass goblets (at least half a yard's worth as i recall) (like i'm to recall anything after that much suds).

that's about all i can remember about my foggy nitelife in hungary.

britcit3
02-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Hey GSJ

If they are still there, I'll let you know.

Cheers

BC3

vulcantouch
02-24-2003, 11:07 PM
didn't freud observe he could handle his enemies, that it was his friends that worried him? :dead: i always sed wimmin'll be the death of honor- not counting our own r2 of course, maybe cuz she ain't no woman, she's a lady (http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/6666/index.html)? :kiss: (and yes, ws' true motive is wimmin too, cuz we all know how starlets hang offa directors like dirty shirts; how Else was tarantino gonna bag mirasorv? ;)
geez bc3, aincha even gonna list what you're parting with here first, to see if someone here might pony up a good offer? after all, considering the Pathetic yield you reaped when ebayin your sst & other mip mms ~a year ago it might be wise from a strictly business standpoint :p now that i think of it, you never did take my advice to post in the trade forum for that af you sought, did you?
ws: while reproducing my scalper def at above link i was goin thru various archived printups so as to not re-invent myself unnecessarily & you're right, on the old forum i kinda Did carve u a new one during our last go-round re this issue, didn't i? :evil: wonder where that ol fiery vt went, kinda miss him. oh well maybe his era's passed & he hit the sunset trail :Pirate:

jdah: sigh, looks like your instincts were dead-on right from the start-
vt

haggie
02-25-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
"your definition is a bit extreme and isn't fair in every respect"
-one must pick one's battles, even re "fairness"; but feel free to point out which "unfairnesses" of my def (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=224333#post224333) (newly reproduced at gendiscuss for our convenient reference :D ) bug ya specifically :)

Sorry, but your wading through your "definition" is like trying to read eBay's privacy policy. :crazed:

"I'm just a caveman. Your overly long post frightens and confuses me! My primitive mind can't grasp this concept." :confused:

I'll stick with the definition on my website (http://www.starwarsactionfleet.com/swaf.cgi?s=glossary): Scalper - Person who buys up collectible products with the sole purpose of reselling said products to the collectors for a profit.

vulcantouch
03-05-2003, 10:43 PM
cmon give it a shot, it's not so incomprehensible, just axe if any quextions :) besides i know that like UCL you're more savvy than you let on & this paleo-rube persona's (http://www.mitchsanders.com/caveman.stm) just a strategic feint to get yer client off :crazed:

Warstar
03-30-2003, 03:11 AM
The plot thickens...

So what do you do if you need $925 in three days?

'Cause I need it- and my auctions ain't selling well...-_-;

ARGH!

*Cries*

jeddah
03-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Maybe you could set up a career as an Absent Father? You seem to have all the qualities required, you know, dropping in out of the blue, then disappearing again for months on end. :evil: ;)

jeddah

vulcantouch
03-30-2003, 10:35 PM
ain't sellin well eh ws? first bc3, now you; why o why don't people Ever listen to me when i tells em "that bad karma, it's gonna git ya" :dead:
of course, depending on what you have left there's Still time to cut a deal w/me & b'jr, which would prolly go a long way towards restoring your rep at "karmassian central command" :)
karmic agent vt

Warstar
03-31-2003, 11:08 AM
I have my moments, Jeddah ;)

I am not an Absent Father per se, but simply a collector being forced into the "EX Collector" realm who desperately doesn't want to stop but *Scarlett O' Hara Voice* "Can't afford to go on! *End Scarlett O' Hara Voice*

...grr...

Actually, VT, they are selling fine- problem is I have run out of time- this month has sucked because my best friend (Read: Girlfriend/Buddy/Spent too much time together) is a member of the 143rd Garrison MP Batallion in the Montana National Guard. She's one of 6 women in the unit...and she was shipped out to Ft. Benning, GA Saturday and is now out there. After "1-3 weeks," they are "crossing the pond." Her Sgt. thinks they'll end up in either Kuwait of Qatar (since Qatar needs some MP's apparently).

So, between saying my farewells to her and helping her move, I spent little time thinking of myself this month (which is what I do when I put stuff on Ebay, admittedly)...

So, I face no way to pay rent or a car payment and my colloquial "Other Half" will be gone on orders for at least a year (of course there is a clause saying that could be lengthened or shortened...I am hoping shortened!)

Broke and alone. Kind of sucks :( My only salvation? Selling things that were once everything to me...

Sad sick little man I am, yes? :cry:

(I'll make it though- always have...)