PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst of 2002

wedgeA
12-31-2002, 06:57 PM
Throw in your five best and worst that you have seen this year.

THE BEST:

1) The Two Towers- LOTR is now the standard for epic genre filmaking. I really like the Prequel Trilogy, but this is a class above.

2) Signs- Although he may be overhyped, I do feel that M. Night is worthy of the label of filmaking genius. True. he does tend to crib from other directors, but at least he does it right, hence a "homage".

3) Insomnia- I thought Robin Williams deserves a best supporting actor nomination for this role. Far superior to the overhyped and tame One Hour Photo. Pacino does his usual schtick, but it plays off really well against Williams.

4) Auto Focus- Dafoe should also get a best supporting actor nomination for his role. An excellent character study with injections of great dark humor.

5) Barbershop- Endearing film that manages to be thought provoking without becoming an informercial for any type of socio-poltical agenda.

THE WORST (in no particular order)

MIB2
Queen of the Damned
Scorpion King
The Tuxedo
tie- XXX and One Hour Photo- both started pretty good in their own way but tanked in the last act.

Prince Xizor
12-31-2002, 07:11 PM
I don't know about five best/worst, but I can give you a couple.

Best:
Catch Me If You Can
Two Towers

Worst:
Time Machine
Windtalkers

derek
12-31-2002, 08:00 PM
i started watching windtalkers the other night on pay-per-view, and the opening battle scene was about as lame as they come. it looked like something i'd expect to see on walker, texas ranger or some hokey show like that. simply horrible.:dead:

O.K., i had to check box office mojo to recall this years films. i was suprised to find out i'd only seen 25 movies in 2002. a few years ago, i would go to about 3 films a week, at least.:)

My Favorites of 2002

1. Road to Perdition
2. The Two Towers
3. Count of Monte Cristo
4. The Ring
5. Red Dragon

Worst of 2002

1. Queen of the Damned
2. The Tuxedo
3. Jackass
4. Collateral Damage
5. Orange County

Biggest Disapointments of 2002

1. Attack of the Clones
2. Signs
3. Minority Report
4. Goldmember
5. Insomnia

wedgeA
12-31-2002, 08:05 PM
Yeah, to think that Windtalkers was a John Woo film, disgraceful. Hard believe that this guy was responisible for such great action films as The Killer and Hard Boiled. He really tanked when he came over to the US.

2-1B
12-31-2002, 08:35 PM
derek, The Count of Monte Cristo was released in 2001. :)
still, leave it on your list because it was really cool indeed !

derek
01-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
derek, The Count of Monte Cristo was released in 2001. :)
still, leave it on your list because it was really cool indeed !

but i saw it in 2002.;)
was it released in late 2001? :confused:
i was just going on box office mojos list of the top grossing 150 films of 2002, and since no film really blew me away, i had to check the list to refresh my memory.:)

QLD
01-01-2003, 11:33 AM
The Best: (in no particular order)

My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
Harry Potter: And the Chamber of Secrets
Punch Drunk Love
Undercover Brother

The Worst: (in no particular order)
XXX
Men In Black 2
Reign of Fire
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
Jason X

As a side note, I know this movie came out in 2001, but I just saw it the other day. And I have to say, that MONKEYBONE, is without a doubt, one of the WORST movies I have ever had the displeasure of seeing.

Thank You.

2-1B
01-01-2003, 02:44 PM
That's curious derek, I looked it up on IMDb and they also have it listed as 2002 . . . see, when I saw it I took notice of a pro football player who was there to see it too, and I don't think he lives here year round. However, maybe it was during the playoffs in January ? ? ?

I can't say for sure, but I was CERTAIN I saw it in November 2001. :crazed:

Oh well, sorry for the confusion. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
01-03-2003, 03:00 PM
I didn't see many pix in 2002 but I will say that the best I saw the whole year was FOTR (yes, I know it was released in 2001, but I didn't see it til Jan.), followed closely by TTT. I would add MBFGW to my best list if I had a chance to see it. That looked like an original and funny movie.

The worst was Goldmember. I can't believe my bud talked me in to wasting a whole 2 hrs. of my life watching that tripe. Second would be MIIB; another waste of money. It would have been more entertaining if the producers made a two hour CSI episode instead. Third was the first half of AOTC. Only the second half makes the film worth watching.

Rogue II
01-03-2003, 03:16 PM
I only saw 2 movie in the theater this year (which is 2 more than I usually see).

The best film was Lord of the Rings: Two Towers

The other film was Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, which was ok. But, technically, I suppose it was the worst film I saw in the theater this year:confused:

I'm kind of suprised no on has mentioned Spider-man yet.

QLD
01-03-2003, 03:24 PM
I thought Spiderman was average. Not the best, not the worst.

Rogue II
01-03-2003, 03:33 PM
I saw Spiderman on DVD. It was better than I thought it would be, but still an average movie.

Funny how an "average" movie can be the top grossing film of the year.

2-1B
01-03-2003, 03:44 PM
The two flicks I most enjoyed this year were AOTC and Goldmember.

I really liked Road to Perdition, Gangs of New York, and Two Towers. Undercover Brother was pretty fun too! And if Monte Cristo, DID come out in 2002 :D , then that one is top five material too.

As for the worst, well that goes to Wes Craven Presents They.
Worse than Jason X !

Okay, I'll put Spider-Man on my worst list, I'm not afraid to say it. :crazed: I did enjoy it, but didn't buy the DVD - and that says A LOT since I buy so many DVDs. Tobey was good but Dafoe as the AssGoblin was just unwatchable.
To me Spider-Man is just as "good" as xXx since that's another one that was fun to watch but that I refuse to buy.

Biggest surprise of the year goes to 8 Mile, since I didn't expect much but really enjoyed it. I'll buy that one.

bigbarada
01-04-2003, 12:33 AM
I didn't see too many movies this year either:

Of the movies that I have actually seen these are the best of 2002:
1. LOTR: The Two Towers
2. Black Hawk Down (although I think it was released in 2001)
3. Spider-Man
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Monsters Inc.

The worst:
1. Vanilla Sky
2. Scooby Doo

Those are the only really bad films I saw in 2002. I watched Windtalkers and thought it was pretty good (I've never seen a John Woo film before since I don't like action movies), it just wasn't one of the best. Some movies I will never watch are:
8 Crazy Nights, xXx and Goldmember.

derek
01-04-2003, 09:56 PM
caesar,

boxoffice mojo says the count of monte cristo was released on january 25, 2002.:)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=countmontecristo.htm

Eternal Padawan
01-05-2003, 10:01 AM
The Best

Nothing really jumped out at me this year like Memento and Moulin Rouge! did last year. But I would say my top five are (in no particular order) :

Lilo & Stitch. What an incredibly quirky, fun little film. :)
The Two Towers. A slight step down from FOTR, but excellent in a year of turds.
Spider-Man. Had a good chance of being merely okay, I came out of this one giddy and ready to sit down and read my entire comic book collection straight thru (that's about 60,000 issues)
Attack of the Clones Star Wars! Yeah!
Catch me if you Can. Good stuff.

Honorable mentions go to Road to Perdition, Red Dragon, 8 Mile, The Ring, and Van Wilder all for various reasons.

The Bad

Unfortunately, this list is always longer than the good list. Why? Because Hollywood is afraid of originality. First the mediocre films:

Scooby Doo, K-19, Serving Sara, Transporter, jackass, I Spy, etc etc etc
Then the truly awful children's film, which were so numerous, they are a category unto themselves:
Powerpuff Girls, Hey Arnold, Stuart Little 2, Spy Kids 2, Veggie Tales, Tuck Everlasting.

Then there are the truly heinous films of 2002 like Extreme Ops, They, The Tuxedo and 8 legged Freaks.

Until we come to the abomination that is the Worst 5:

WindTalkers: Long. Boring. Is it possible to have an hour long war scene in the middle of a two hour long war movie? John Woo proves the answer is both yes and no.
Four Feathers Longer. More Boring. I feel sorry for Djimon Honsou, Wes Bentley, and Heath Ledger for being in this. But not Kate Hudson.
The Sweetest Thing. WTF??!? Who greenlit this turd? Did they read the script beforehand? Oh well, at least Jason Bateman is getting work.
The Truth About Charlie. As a guy at work attempted to sum it up to some customers "uhhh...it's about a guy, a girl...and some stamps...I think." The entire audience left thinking the same thing.

And the number one crappiest movie of the year....

Couldn't be just one film. Because both of these films were soooooo bad I couldn't choose which one was more eye-gougingly awful. So it's a tie between

My Big Fat Greek Wedding and xXx. Take your place beside Vanilla Sky and the Blair Witch Project...

wedgeA
01-06-2003, 04:42 PM
To update my list, I have to say that I thought Gangs of New York was a terrible film. The film had only two good things going for it- the quality period look, and Daniel Day Lewis.

However, I thought that the film was long and tedious. Leo and Cameron were devoid of any charisma, passion, and chemistry. The film lacked any dramatic intensity, unless someone was getting killed.

Overall, it was emotionally bankrupt, like Costner's Wyatt Earp. I think that this would be in or near to my bottom five.