PDA

View Full Version : Is there a new Simpsons on tonight?

Fulit
11-06-2001, 05:09 PM
I just saw an ad for a Simpsons Halloween Special tonight. Is this a new episode, and, if so, am I missing something? Wasn't Halloween last week?

Mandalorian Candidat
11-06-2001, 07:11 PM
I believe there is a new one tonight, right after That 70's Show. I keep hearing radio ads today about it.

I guess they didn't have it on last week because of the World Series on Fox.

...My poor Yankees... :(

Fulit
11-06-2001, 07:41 PM
Ha! I'm watching it and just now, they showed a Gypsy and a Leprachaun being wed by Yoda. He said "Husband and Wife I pronounce you now, hmm."

LTBasker
11-06-2001, 09:58 PM
Yeah, it was a new episode, it was their 12th annual Halloween special....even if Halloween was a week ago. It was pretty good too. :D "Could I be anymore of a house?!" LOL! Did Marge covered in hair remind you of maybe...Chewbacca? :p

master jedi
11-06-2001, 10:16 PM
When I saw Yoda marry the gypsy and the leprachaun I fall over laughing. I wish they would've shown this episode last week.

Fulit
11-06-2001, 10:17 PM
The best quote besides the Yoda one was Homer, "Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer is the smartest thing we've ever done".

hamsterboy
11-07-2001, 12:54 AM
I really didn't care to much for this one. It seemed like they took bits and pieces from past Halloween Episodes and put them together. The leprachaun reminded me of the Krusty doll. Either that or that little gremlin from the Twilight Zone spoof.

SWAFMAN
11-07-2001, 07:52 AM
I thought the Harry Potter bit was pretty well done. Even though it was lowbrow, the barfing "mistake frog/prince" that Bart conjured up had me laughing. And the line the frog says - something about every moment he lives is agony - you just don't get enough quality comedic entertainment like that anymore ;)

I also thought I noticed (didn't notice) the names in the credits weren't changed to sound more "scary" like in past Halloween episodes.

Still, this show has been on for what - nearly 15 years or something? I think the writing has been exceptionally solid over such a long run, compared to any other comedy series.

JediTricks
11-07-2001, 08:43 AM
Wow... I hated that ep. I haven't liked the Simpsons in a few seasons, but last night's episode was, IMHO of course ;), pure junk. Only the Matthew Perry mini-cameo made me not frown. I hope the new season (which doesn't officially start till this Sunday) is better.

El Chuxter
11-07-2001, 02:09 PM
Gotta go with Hamsterboy and JT on this one. Sayeth Comic Book Guy, "Worst [Halloween] episode ever!"

The gypsy one was corny. I saw no point for Kang and Kodos there, nor for Yoda. Still, it was better than the house bit, which was better than the Harry Potter bit. (Can't understand Simpsons episodes, don't get to see Star Wars trailers on the big screen. . . . Jeez, I should just become a HP fan. ;))

Only the Trix gag made me laugh. And I laughed at it a few days earlier, when I saw it in the ad.

Fulit
11-07-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

I saw no point for Kang and Kodos there, nor for Yoda.

Does there need to be a point to everything? It's only the Simpsons, after all, not like they're known for obscure cameos or anything. :rolleyes: Ahh, I guess everyone sees things differently..........sorry you guys don't care for the Simpsons anymore, but I still find them entertaining to some degree, not as good as it used to be, but I tend to ride things to the bitter end. Well, anyway, to each his own.

:D

Mandalorian Candidat
11-07-2001, 08:57 PM
I give it a thumbs up! I really liked this Halloween edition! The Harry Potter parody was sooo timely.

The best line of the whole episode was from Marge: The good thing about going to this Gypsy wedding is that I'm not the harriest woman.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2001, 09:38 PM
Well, JT, it seems you don't like The Simpsons. Or have I read things the wrong way? ;) I think that the show's making more fun of itself than society at-large now. Shame on you all for blasting the "greatest American television program in history." Quote exists only in Otherspace, a magical land with happy-faced unicorns and dancing gnomes. :D

JediTricks
11-08-2001, 02:32 AM
Last season, I pretty much bowed out of being a fan of the Modern Simpsons; but at least I'll always have seasons 2 through 7. ;)

I think part of what I dislike about the show now is the comedy writing is all about self-parody or simple gags you'd see on Mad TV or modern-day SNL, nothing's funny because of the situation or the family's foibles, and the whole "canon" thing is just not working for me. It's like the writers aren't trying anymore, they're just coasting. I find Futurama (look for this show sometime in DECEMBER, thank you very much Fox!) and Family Guy (look for this show sometime TOMORROW, thank you very much Fox! :D) to be ten times funnier than the modern Simpsons.

What's really frustrating is when a few folks say "oh, the new Simpsons was really funny" and I get into that mind set where I hope there's a chance it'll actually be good, then I watch it and it's just not, and I get hooked into thinking "oh, the next one MAY have some hope". Damn my apparently-phoney cynisicm and pragmatic demeanour betrayed by my secret optimism! (And if that were a Lisa Simpson line from season 12, Homer would walk in and get hit in the head with a monkey)

LTBasker
11-08-2001, 06:01 AM
And that's not funny? :D Yea I know....easily amused. Actually though, just that happening wouldn't be funny, I like it when it leaves little things like that in to build up to it, like when you watch a scene and you remember that monkey running off but not exactly where it ran off to.......... ;)

El Chuxter
11-08-2001, 11:32 AM
I still enjoy the Simpsons quite a bit--I even thought "Land of the Jockeys" or whatever it's called was hysterical. Like a lot of shows, it goes through ups and downs.

This particular show, though, was really forced. The Yoda was unexpected, but in a stupid way. Kang and Kodos have only showed up in the last couple of episodes because they're expected in the Halloween specials, not because they're worked into the story. Last year's cameo was at least funny, with them worrying about not getting the call to appear. This cameo, though, seemed like, "You wanted Kang and Kodos? Well, here they are! Hope you're happy!"

El Chuxter's patented formula for telling whether an episode of The Simpsons will suck:
1) Is Lisa out of character in the first five minutes of the episode?
2) Do the commercials for the episode make a bigger deal out of celebrity appearances than the story?
If the answer to either question is yes, the episode will be sub-par.

ThomasLane
11-11-2001, 10:17 PM
I didn't see the Halloween episode, but I did see the season opener tonight. Pretty much what I we've been fed on a weekly basis for the last three seasons. It's been a while since I remember seeing a good "new" episode.

JediTricks
11-12-2001, 09:51 PM
It's weird, you'd think they'd want to put their best foot forward, but if this is their best work... :frus:

ThomasLane
11-12-2001, 10:58 PM
It just seems that the writers are getting bored and just milking the cash cow until it dies (or maybe some of the better writers moved on to something else?). It may be time to put this cow out to pasture... I'll be sad to see it go, but I'll be even sadder if they continue to crank out the lame episodes that have been showing up the last few years.

Fulit
11-13-2001, 08:21 AM
The best line in the season premiere was when Moe said no kids were allowed in the bar "since those Bush daughters came in".

I have closed captioning on my T.V., and I put it on sometimes, and on some shows, esp. the Simpsons, you see different dialogue flash across the screen than what is said audibly. Apparently they have last minute script changes or something. Anyway, the other night when Moe made the crack about the Bush girls, a different joke came on the closed captioning, something about a tricycle wash that got out of hand. Since it takes months to produce these episodes, I'm betting they slipped that in there back when the Bush daughters were having their little run ins with the law. (Duh). Anyway, I thought that was hilarious, can you picture the Bush twins at Moe's? Helluva lot better joke, too, than a tricycle wash.

No matter how overall lame an episode is, if I can find one good line like that, it almost makes it worth my half hour. Yes, that is an admission that the season premeire was not so great, in general.

JediTricks
12-03-2001, 11:49 PM
Last night's ep, the "Fortune Cookie" one, was terrible in my opinion. I hope it's the worst one of the season, because this one was as unfunny IMO as the Africa one and the Jockeys one - only this one wasn't bad in a grand way, it was just mediocre-bad.