PDA

View Full Version : Best Toy Line Of 2002

Prince Xizor
01-01-2003, 02:57 PM
This past year has been the biggest collecting year for me. I bought more toys this year than I think any other years combined. There have been many very cool lines, and a some pretty bad ones as well. But my question to you is which one do you think is the best?

Toy Lines: (Forgive me if I forget a few)
Star Wars: Saga
Lord Of The Rings: Two Towers
Harry Potter
Marvel Legends
Spider-Man Movie
Transformers: Armada
Masters Of The Universe
Star Wars: Unleashed
G.I. Joe
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Star Trek: Enterprise/Nemesis
Movie Maniacs
Muppets
Simpsons
DC Direct
The Hulk Movie
E.T.
WWE
Power Rangers: Ninja Storm
Lego
Star Wars: Playskool
Gundam
X-Men Evolution

I am torn between Two Towers and Marvel Legends. They are both so damn good. But I think I will go with.... Marvel Legends, because they are more playable than Two Towers. And that's what toys are supposed to be, playable.

Adam
01-01-2003, 03:22 PM
I say Marvel Legends as well, as they are everything I've wanted from toybiz for years. Well except for Toad. ;)

QLD
01-01-2003, 03:49 PM
I am torn between Marvel Legends and Lord of the Rings figures.

But, I will go with LOTR figures for this reason.

I have, only once, seen Marvel Legends figures in the store. That was series one, MONTHS and MONTHS after they were released, and I had ordered them from ebay. When I ask sales people, they just stare at me, blinking.

Also I go with LOTR figures, because of them having a larger selection of figures as well.

But both lines are amazing.

2-1B
01-01-2003, 03:53 PM
That's easy . . . .

Mulletheads !

Greatest toy line ever, I couldn't believe it when I learned of them on the shelves at Media Play.

Second place goes to the bobbleheads of Colonel Sanders and Andre the Giant. :)

Wolfwood319
01-01-2003, 04:09 PM
I'd also have to go with Marvel Legends over LOTR. Marvel Legends is quite frankly the best toy line ever, its got everything one could want. I've had no problem finding any of them, so that's not a factor. LOTR was also excellent, but not quite up to Marvel Legends.

I would've gone with MOTU, but since distribution and case assortments sucked, I bumped them to third. Also, not all the figures were in scale, which was disappointing.

OzOtter
01-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Lots of praise for the Marvel stuff, but I'm not into it at all. i was torn between the Muppets and Masters of theUniverse. Long live nostalgia!

I think I'm going to go with the He-man stuff. They are the ones I have displayed at home, while everything else has been packed up to send back to Australia.

187-Maul
01-01-2003, 09:09 PM
my favorite toy-line of the year is Mcfarlane Spawn series 22 which you forgot on your list;) ) since the figs are just so cool from that line, especially Skullsplitter, and he even features a total of 20 point of articulation and is 7 3/4 inches high
here's a pic of mine in case somebody doesn't know what he looks like:)

jpak001
01-01-2003, 10:37 PM
My top five picks would be:

1) Marvel Legends = Like Wolfwood said, the best toy line ever!

2) LOTR = Beautiful toys, almost at the same level of Marvel Legends. Well done Toybiz!

3) Movie Maniacs = Some really nice stuff this year, we got McFarlane Aliens & Predator!!!

4) Star Wars Unleashed = A new direction for Hasbro, really more like nice little statues than action figures.

5) Star Wars Saga = While some of the action features were dissapointing, the metal lightsabers were great. And we did get some really great figures, like Ephant Mon.

OzOtter
01-01-2003, 11:40 PM
I can't get my Skullsplitter to grasp his sword (two handed, point to the ground) like they do in the promo shots. I've given up trying, seeing as in trying to replicate the promo shots for my troll, I promptly snapped his arm off.

While beautiful to look at, McFarlane's stuff can be quite delicate. I'm afraid to take my Alien/Predator out of the packaging. And I am usually an opener.

evenflow
01-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Masters of the Universe

jjreason
01-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Star Wars Saga. What an array of products offered up this year, something for every collector. Nearly too much to keep up with though.

Marvel Legends. About time they got back to the basics and did it right. My other 100 or so Toy Biz Marvel Figures are completely obsolete now.

The Two Towers LOTR. Also by Toy Biz, which has decidedly upped the ante in detail and paint application. I hope they decide to resculpt Aragorn's face for a later release so it can match the excellence of the newer Legolas figure.

Being a lifelong fan of Marvel comics Im very happy to see their toy lines doing so well, and being so well received. It wasn't too long ago that Marvel looked like it might be nearing the end....thank goodness for Ike and Avi at ToyBiz. Great job guys!!!

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 06:53 AM
Caesar, how exactly is a bobblehead a toy? :D

While I think MOTU and Marvel Legends are both great lines, there's one line that stands way out in front of them for me this year:

Gundam

So many giant robots (I know, they're "mobile suits", I don't care ;)), so much articulation, so many killer accessories, and plenty of sub-lines for different tastes; Gundam just owned my action figure collection this year. Tons of creative additions to a line that I thought was going to totally run out of steam after 2 waves of repaints of last year make Gundam my choice for best toy line of the year.