PDA

View Full Version : Will we see a Jedi Holocaust? Concentration Camps?

Tycho
11-06-2001, 06:15 PM
You know, Lucas loves to preach. Here he has a chance to mass educate about the Holocaust, like Spielberg did - and the two are buddies. If "Joe growing up in Arkansas" doesn't know, care, or empathize with the Jewish Holocaust (or Bosnia, Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq...etc but mostly the Jewish Concentration Camps), when they are the Jedi being mass murdered (hero characters we've come to love) it will bring out the desired empathy and understanding. With religion and immaculate conception (which didn't happen but was likley a set-up), Lucas can't keep from preaching.

Personally, I like it. It does make you reflect. And it's intelligent writing.

The Sith vs. Republic is an age old debate about the kind of most effective government, violently played out.

Well, I opened up a can 'o worms for something to talk about.

Fulit
11-06-2001, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
If "Joe growing up in Arkansas" doesn't know, care, or empathize with the Jewish Holocaust (or Bosnia, Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq...etc but mostly the Jewish Concentration Camps), when they are the Jedi being mass murdered (hero characters we've come to love) it will bring out the desired empathy and understanding. With religion and immaculate conception (which didn't happen but was likley a set-up), Lucas can't keep from preaching.

Well, Fulit growing up in Arkansas has been aware of it since 2nd grade. (Off the subject, why does everyone always connotate Arkansas with ignorance? I hear there's hillbillies in West Virginia too. :D ) I don't think anyone in this state or any other needs a Star Wars movie to teach us about such things, and I sincerely hope Lucas doesn't choose such a route, as it's a bad idea on many levels. I'm with the mindset of a lot of SW fans that think the Jedi violence will probably be more implied than anything.

Co Jo-Da
11-07-2001, 02:35 AM
I agree... I doubt well see a holocaust situation in Episode III. I think that Episode II will badly damage the Jedi ranks and Palpatine will use the CloneTroopers with Count Dooku (and later Darth Vader) will hunt down the last remaining Jedi's.

Tycho
11-07-2001, 03:32 AM
First, of course I didn't mean to imply that people in Arkansas were ignorant.

Next, I did not mean we'd see a showing of violence, like mass executions. We're seeing plenty of violence as it is:

Maul being cut in half, Qui-Gon impaled.

Jango being beheaded by Mace, Jedi falling in battle.

Finally, Obi-Wan permanently maiming Anakin.

But this sort of violence is curiously different from the sort of killing you see in Schindler's List: civilians lined up against a wall and shot. Now Leia was shot in ROTJ, but it was in the line of combat. This is looked upon as different. Or else why cut out Anakin slaying Tusken women and children?

What I was getting at, was that I think some Jedi will be pacifists, and they will be carted off for execution. Showing that, not necessary the actual executions, might evoke the emotion one should feel when seeing this happen to the Jedi, and knowing this is wrong.

By the way, I think Palpatine has this set up so the mass populace wants to lynch all the Jedi. Making the Republic's citizens believe that the Jedi were the ones that started this, or let it happen, and they also wronged the Sith, hence why Vader can later rule openly as the Dark Lord of the Sith. But if you read the New Jedi Order books, they are following the same theme. The Yuuzhan Vong promise to halt their invasion if the New Republic turns over all their Jedi to them.

It's a wrongful judgement laid upon a group of people who are different from you, and the extinction of the Jedi Knights is the wrong that will come (in the Prequels at least).

Finally, in the Teaser Trailer, we saw Obi-Wan, captured and held prisoner in some kind of energy device designed to contain a Jedi. Dark Empire comic books showed Dungeon Ships they used to use to cart Jedi off for execution. While dark, I think this is a cool concept used to illustrate this great mass execution. I know that this energy device used to contain Jedi is portable, else how does Dooku move Obi-Wan to the arena to feed him to the Reek in the end battle? (on Geonosis).

JediTricks
11-07-2001, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't be totally surprised if Lucas did this, as he did borrow a lot of concept from the 3rd reich for Star Wars' empire, but I don't think it'll happen since getting a bunch of Jedi together in one place will probably just make them stronger. No, it'd be better for the pace of the film AND for logic's sake if Palpatine's empire simply cut down each Jedi as soon as they found them.

Eternal Padawan
11-07-2001, 09:58 AM
I don't think you'll ever see the Jedi Purge on the big screen. It happened after the twins are born which doesn't happen til the end of the film. I think it's best if the Purge is implied, rather than shown. It might be melodramatic and somber to see some fleeting images of Jedi being turned in by common citzens or rounded up into transports for extermination. But I don't think it'll happen on screen.

Magnolia-Fan
11-07-2001, 11:22 PM
Please give an example of "Lucas loves to preach."

bigbarada
11-07-2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Magnolia-Fan
Please give an example of "Lucas loves to preach."

Yeah, I'm having some trouble grasping that one myself.

Co Jo-Da
11-07-2001, 11:56 PM
Both a holocaust situation is a bit to far, aspecially for Star Wars.

Taichi
04-21-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Fulit

I hear there's hillbillies in West Virginia too.

Oh, there are most DEFINITELY hillbillies in WV.....

they're the home, ORIGIN of Hillbillies.....

I've met families, here in the 21st CENTURY that have never seen, let alone USED a telephone......no lie.......

snakeplkn
04-21-2002, 04:16 PM
I'd rather see the Jedi have a last stand at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, like the Alamo. Just massive amount of Clone Troopers fighting to get inside. When they finally breach as Megatron once said, "Let the slaughter begin!" Yoda gives the evacuation order and it's every Jedi for themself. As everyone tries to flee, Mace, and a few others decide to delay the Clone Troopers to allow some Jedi the chance to flee. Then Obi-Wan with baby Luke and Yoda talk together for one brief moment at their respective ships before taking off, never to reunite until The Empire Strikes Back.

(just my vision of what I would like to see happen)

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

Eternal Padawan
04-22-2002, 09:04 AM
What snakeplkn said.

A good portion of Jedi die on-screen in AOTC.

It is implied that the Clone Wars between Episode II and III decimate their ranks even further.

A giant Hoth-like battle at the beginning of III will shrink their numbers even more.

Finally, the last stand at the Jedi Temple where Vader invades and whups on Plo Koon, Ki Adi Mundi, and other assorted Council members. Clone troopers come in and there is a tense scene where the younglings are hiding in a room protected by Yaddle and/or Adi Gallia, the clone troopers rush in, the doors shut ominously.

Leaving only Yoda, Obi Wan, and Mace who escaped the temple before Vader got there.

Naturally Mace offers himself up as a diversion and sacrifices himself so Yoda and Obi can escape with preggers Padme.

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 09:13 PM
If you've been reading holonetnews.com, you may have noticed that a lot of Jedi have already been dying before the AOTC events, but it's all just normal-sounding stuff. I think we'll see Vader give the Emp advice on what types of situations to set Jedi up for the kill with, but we won't see a lot of rounded-up Jedi being wholesale slaughtered.

RooJay
04-25-2002, 10:46 PM
Wow Tycho, that sounds pretty cool to me, but I doubt Jedi would allow themselves to be executed like that. Afterall, they do use the Force for defense, and I doubt they'd hesitate to defend themselves against Palpatine and anyone who would actively hunt them down. I'm all for seeing the Jedi purge on screen though! I'd tend to be just a bit disappointed if we don't get to see the awesome lightsaber battles these scenes would bring!

Darth Trymybestus
01-02-2003, 04:27 PM
I think that a holocaust/concentration camp style thing in Episode III would be a little too harsh for Star Wars and also, Lucas wants everybody to enjoy his movies.
It would be insensitive to a jewish person who has maybe lost relatives to the holocaust to have that in an entertainment movie.
Stuff like the holocaust should be left to documentaries and movies like Schindlers List etc.

OC47150
01-22-2003, 04:14 PM
I imagine the Jedi serving as the officer corps for the new clone army. During the course of the war, the number of Jedi is reduced to a few hundred, who will then be hunted down by Vader.