PDA

View Full Version : loose or boxed?

sergiurusu
01-02-2003, 03:44 AM
In another thread I asked where do you keep your collection. I think this is the next question. Loose or boxed? and most important: WHY?

I collect loose because of some reasons:

1.cheaper (I told you before about $ in Romania)
2.really want to touch and feel the toys and see all their great features
3.cheaper transport (overseas)
4.no place to display boxed toys (I don't have yet enough place to display loose toys- but think loose toys look better on display than boxed ones)

cloneemperor
01-02-2003, 02:31 PM
I keep all my collection loose. Action Fleet, Action Figures, LEGO, everything.

My reason is simple. Boxed toys don't display as well as loose (in my opinion).

good shot jansen
01-02-2003, 04:06 PM
not to mention that you can't play with em very well if they're boxed.:sur:

unlike hasbro's new selling point of the newly released action fleet.

"they are pleased to announce that display stands will still be included with each one":rolleyes:

phuleeeze :rolleyes:

SWAFMAN
01-02-2003, 07:31 PM
At least one of each - boxed + opener. I like the way they display both boxed and opened, plus I like the openers so I can "examine their features" (people my age don't play with toys.... yeah, sure ;) ), and share the fun with my kids.

posted by good shot jansen:
unlike hasbro's new selling point of the newly released action fleet.

"they are pleased to announce that display stands will still be included with each one"

As I said before, apparently Hasbro considers the process of opening the box and un-twisting the twist-ties as the main play-feature of their Action Fleet.

I FORKING H A T E YOU, HASBRO. YOU SUCK MOPWATER. BITE ME!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

sicqnus
01-03-2003, 04:18 AM
I love the boxes, the packagings, but the most important thing is the toy in itself.
I keep my collection stored in my attic. All the Action Fleet and most of the figures are in big carboard boxes, protected from light. I love to keep my items in their packagings, some of them are really cool like the Battle Packs : very unusual with this folding and the rivet on the upper side. To me it's also a challenge to find boxes in good condition because the AF and BP boxes are beautiful but very fragile. It's an interesting part of the hunt.

I also bought later all the classic AF, one more time but loose (primarily to make pictures). (I had to keep them hidden because when some people see them, they look at me and think that I must play with like a child :evil: I know they think "he's completely weak!"...). For the common people, the SW fans are a curious species (isn't it SWAFMAN ?).

I would love to keep my collection for many years and when I will be older I could do the same thing as my father did with me, when I was a child he showed me his boxed Dinky Toys metal cars from the 50' and the 60', the old metal train toys and he tried to explain me what was his childhood.

Well that's why I prefer to keep them boxed. I had a few vintage Kenner toys and I was very worried about the yellowing plastic on almost every figure or ship. The one or two items kept in box had not yellowed. I sold the vintage toys and I bought more AF's...

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Loose, it's not a toy to me until I can open it and enjoy it. Sometimes it's "loose in box" like my 12" figure collection, and there are a few "boxed only" pieces that are special, but in general everything's gotta be open.

Banthaholic
01-04-2003, 11:16 AM
I'm a box freak at this point. I just love how neat evertything looks. If I was an opener I'd end up saving every box since it has Star Wars written on it, and I don't have enough room.
Maybe one day I'll open them all, but for now they stay sealed.

Plus the way I look at it is a boxed collector can easily become an open collector \, althougha loose collector has to spend mucho time and $$ to become a boxed collector.

SWAFMAN
01-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Banthaholic, you sound just like I was a few years ago. I only originally intended to go for a collection of boxed AFs. But once I completed my boxed collection, after about a year, the temptation of seeing all those ships in their boxes - so near but yet far..... - plus reading other foruMMer's posts about the cool features they were finding on their AFs, it was just too alluring to resist.

I knew I could never open my boxed ones, lest I "uncomplete" my collection, so I started trading & e-bay-ing to try to complete my collection of openers. I still have several openers yet to score, but the thrill is in the hunt. I've been laying-off for a while, hoping the market will settle down a bit as the EP2 buzz fades, but I've recently started peeking around a bit again, to see what's out there.

Don't be surprised if the same bug bites you one day.....

P.S. (just some additional fuel for your "rationalization" process)the empty boxes from the openers are perfect for setting up a tiered display of boxed AFs. I have my boxed collection setup in a sort of stair step arrangement, with the empty boxes behind the full boxes, creating the "step" supporting the next higher row of full boxes. My Star Wars original trilogy items alone (not including the OT Series Alphas) is five rows of full boxes high, by approx 7 boxes across (twin-packs & classic duels take up more than one column in some rows), with empties & boxes of duplicates entirely comprising the inner supporting box structure. I use the same tiered arrangement for my boxed EP1s, other AF lines, and Battle Squads, too.

~~~~give it a try~~~~ ~~~~give it a try~~~~

~~~~logon to Paypal~~~~ ~~~~logon to Paypal~~~~

~~~~transmit all your $ to Swafman~~~~

~~~~Resistance is Futile~~~~ ~~~~Resistance is Futile~~~~

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

short4astormtrooper
01-05-2003, 11:56 AM
I am an opener, but keep a boxed version of ships that belong to key characters. My son likes to play with them, but when I saw an e-wing selling for $75 on e-Bay a few years ago, I stopped letting him take it to bed with him at night!

Jedi Idej
01-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Loose. I need to feel and smell the toy, try out the features, and examine the detail.