PDA

View Full Version : Why is Crispin Glover so weird?

2-1B
01-02-2003, 05:01 AM
why didn't Spielberg lock him up early for the BTTF sequels thus leading to that forgettable replacement and the lawsuit with Spielberg?

why did Crispin not want to go through with the sequels, yet this year he's showing up again in the new Charlie's Angels flick? :p

why was he so funny in the fourth Friday the 13th movie? (can't go into details on this site :D but he is just hilarious in that movie, check it out :crazed: )

why is his hair so long and crazy in this pic ? :eek:

vulcantouch
01-02-2003, 10:26 AM
"sthtorieeeesssth. . . sthciencthe ficthtion sthtorieeeesssth" -cg, BTTF1 ;)

derek
01-02-2003, 11:12 AM
why didn't Spielberg lock him up early for the BTTF sequels thus leading to that forgettable replacement and the lawsuit with Spielberg?

they didn't plan on making a sequal until the original became a big hit. what's the story on the lawsuit?

why did Crispin not want to go through with the sequels, yet this year he's showing up again in the new Charlie's Angels flick?

my guess is that his career hasn't turned out as well as he thought, and he's now just glad to be working.

can't help ya with the other two, but does anyone know why they used two different jennifer parkers in the films? the first one seems to have left showbusiness shortly after BTTF was released, but no one knows why. even the audio commentaries went into depth about glover, but didn't mention why the first jennifer left.:confused:

JON9000
01-02-2003, 11:51 AM
The loss of Glover is why I do not care for the other 2 films. 3 might have been okay if Seamus McFly had been played by Glover and the part had been expanded.

2-1B
01-02-2003, 12:26 PM
derek, I just learned of the lawsuit myself . . . apparently Spielberg and others never got Glover's permission to splice in footage of him from the first film with new shots of the pseudo-George.

See, I assumed the sequels were only done because of the huge success of the first, but with that open ending I'd think it would be prudent to lock them up for potential sequels. Then again, Spielberg doesn't seem to be that fond of sequels (Jaws :D ).

derek
01-02-2003, 01:11 PM
but with that open ending I'd think it would be prudent to lock them up for potential sequels

are you talking about the ending where doc takes marty and jennifer to the future? bob gale, the co-writer, said the end of BTTF 1 was a joke. if they had planned on doing sequals, they wouldn't of put jennifer in the car because it presented too many problems. in the audio commentaries, they said the idea of a sequal only came up after the original was successful.

crispin glover, bob gale said, made many unreasonable demands to be in the sequals. he wanted more money and perks than michael fox was getting. i think with the charlies angels films, he now understands his place in the industry.

so, was that lawsuit recently filed, or was this from a while back?

on another related note, i had known that eric stoltz was originally cast to play marty, but i didn't know that c. thomas howle was their choice to play marty(after fox) before the studio insisted on stoltz.

Beast
01-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Yeah, Crispin wanted even more perks to come back for the sequels then they were even giving to Michael J. Fox. I guess he even wanted top credits, next to M.J.F. So they laughed at him and didn't even bother to try to negotiate a reasonable contract with him. Of course he's also a drug addict, and after BTTF 1 was in rehab a few times. I believe they go into it in one of the Audio Commentaries or Q&A sessions on the BTTF DVDs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Fulit
01-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
derek, I just learned of the lawsuit myself . . . apparently Spielberg and others never got Glover's permission to splice in footage of him from the first film with new shots of the pseudo-George.

Pseudo-George? Am I missing something, did a different person play George in 2 & 3? I must be very unobservant.:confused:

derek
01-02-2003, 06:52 PM
did a different person play George in 2 & 3

the stuff were you saw him in 1955 was stock film from the 1st movie. the future george stuff was a different actor.:)

Exhaust Port
01-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Man, I never knew that. I've got to pick up the DVD and take notice this time.

2-1B
01-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, I've not listened to the commentaries yet.

derek, I think they used fake-George for some 1955 stuff too.
For instance, before he lays out Biff -- Marty sees him from the office and that stuff just can't be from the orginal shoot because the angles are wayyyy different. Also, with so many other shots, it feels like they're "hiding" George. Like when Marty starts to leave for the DeLorean after his parents kiss . . . know what I mean? I think it's when Lorraine talks about how 'Marty' is a nice name . . .

For the 1955 stuff, he's really more of a stand-in.

jjreason
01-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Crispin Glover was so weird on David Letterman that Dave got really mad and went to commercial. Glover's never been back on. Pure comedy, I wish I had that on tape somewhere (this is, of course, way back in the 12:30, NBC days, when Glover's career was actually noteworthy). Caesar, you're right. That pic is weird. He looks like one of the "didn't make the team cuts" from the set of Reservoir Dogs. Wow, come to think of it, he would have added even more interest to that already brilliant opening in the diner... imagine Harve Keitel getting Crispin Glover to "cough up a buck", that would have rocked. Or not.

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
Pseudo-George? Am I missing something, did a different person play George in 2 & 3? I must be very unobservant.:confused: Jefferey Weissman played George McFly in BTTF 2 and 3, even got an opening-credits credit in BTTF 2. Before that, Jeff had been a struggling actor, did some local theater here, and was the Stan Laurel and Charlie Chaplin at Universal Studios for a while which is how he got the job as replacement George; before BTTF2, his most notible role was of the younger, dim brother in the Clint Eastwood film "Pale Rider". He's a friend of my family, went to high school with my dad, but it's been a while since I've talked to him personally.

2-1B
01-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Cool JT,
I was reading that Weissman originally auditioned thinking it was just for a job as stand-in for Crispin/George - did you hear anything about that?

Reason,
from what I was reading the other night on IMDb, well let me just quote them:
Once was seen as throwing a kick at 'David Letterman' on pre-recorded TV. David Letterman walked off the show and when they came back Crispin was gone. Crispin has been back several times, but the incident remains an enigma.

jjreason
01-03-2003, 07:25 PM
That must have been it, though I don't remember the kick. I just remember them getting kind of heated, then a strained weird silence. Dave wasn't shaking hands, which was weird then. Then commercial and on to the next thing. Glover must have been on something - unheard of, I know, in the realm of the late night talk show. Better than Madonna's F word tirade by a mile. Im surprised to read that he was back on the show after that.

EricRG
01-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Ruben and Ed. Great movie....Crispin at his weirdest (besides, of course, when he's on Letterman).

JediTricks
01-04-2003, 04:06 AM
Caesar, I don't remember hearing anything about that, but at that time it's not unlikely that this was the way it went down - especially when you see how much makeup went into his "old George" look that we only saw upside-down, most co-starring actors would demand a stand-in for that. :D

As for Glover, I think the guy is talented in a certain way, he's got that odd spark that Sean Penn and Harry Dean Stanten seem to share (at least, that's what I think), but such massive talent has to come at a price and be built from something pretty deep. Thus, weirdness is abound.

scruffziller
01-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by JON9000
The loss of Glover is why I do not care for the other 2 films. 3 might have been okay if Seamus McFly had been played by Glover and the part had been expanded.

I would think too that it would have been more interesting for Crispin to play Marty Jr. as well!!!
It would have been more fitting that the McFly males would alternate (approxamately) the Crispin look one generation and the Michael J Fox the next. The only flaw is what would George McFly's dad have looked like?

Beast
01-15-2003, 01:15 AM
Speaking of Crispin Glover being weird, he's starring in the remake of the movie Willard. So he should be turning in a realistic weird performance in that. Here's a promotional picture. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-14-2003, 05:48 AM
Crispin was on the Letterman show tonight ! ! !

Of course, Dave wasn't there as Will Ferrell guest hosted. :D
I was hoping the issue would be raised, and they did talk a bit about the "Letterman kick" . . . Crispin basically referred to how the legend has grown over the years . . .

When commenting on Crispin's suit, Will was awesome in working in a Great Gatsby reference. :crazed:

And to my great delight, Will asked Crispin about his experience in Friday the 13th The Final Chapter (part 4). I assumed it would be a topic Glover wouldn't care to talk about, but to his credit he rolled with it and was very funny while discussing it. :p

Oh, as for his "weirdness" -- he spoke about how much he is into counterculture and previous eras . . . and how he's often described by others as being eccentric. He's fond of that description, and I can see why - it certainly fits ! ! ! :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 06:05 AM
He's going to be on Conan tonight.

scruffziller
03-14-2003, 08:17 AM
It is because he is COOL. A true talent.

scruffziller
11-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Due to the release of Beowulf, I will reopen this thread.
Crisping Glover has his credit in the movie listed as CRISPIN HELLION GLOVER

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!:D:thumbsup: That is too awesome. Not many around like him anymore.

Tycho
11-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Darn it! I thought it was the same actor in all 3 films and now you guys just ruined the experience for me. I wished I hadn't read this thread nor known that the original Godzilla was not an iguana!

Amongst other things that ruin movies for me is knowledge that stuff like Star Wars was not actually filmed on location on other planets.

Also, the Transformers in the recent movie were not real.

Don't tell me these kinds of things. I like to enjoy my movies.

I suppose you're also going to say that the mini-pizza they hydrated at level 5 in BTTF 2 wasn't real also. I think of that scene sometimes when I'll order a pizza!

Gosh, the next thing you guys will tell me is the Japanese did not really attack Pearl Harbor - they just alledged that so Michael Bay could make a movie.

DarthQuack
11-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I thought he was awesome in Willard.