PDA

View Full Version : Armed Forces Star Wars Collectors

Rogue II
01-02-2003, 10:41 AM
I thought I'd set up a thread where us military guys could discuss Star Wars collecting.

Branch: US Air Force
Time in Service: 9.5 years
Current Location: Washington DC Area
What do you collect?: Classic Trilogy 3 3/4" figures, some Legos

So, has anyone been stationed overseas? I was in Korea from July 99-July 00. My wife stayed in the US, so she bought me all of the figures I wanted during that year (and while I was deployed in 2001. While I was in Korea, I picked up some bootleg SW figures. Man, they're ugly. I got "Episode 1" Qui-Gon and Anakin with fake Commtech chips. I also bought some figure 8-packs. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I have one extra.

Most of my collection is loose for 3 reasons:
1. They are more fun
2. PCSing every 2 years takes it's toll on carded figures
3. Military housing doesn't have much room for large collections

I saw AAFES started to carry some Star Wars figures again. Well, since I don't go to the BX very often, the only figures I saw were Jar Jar Senator and Dexter. Nothing like the good old clearance days back in 98-99.

So how about you?

chrisc
01-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Branch: Army
Time In Service: 6 Years
Current Assignment: 344th MI Bn Goodfellow AFB, Texas
What I Collect: All 3 3/4 figures and ships from old and new trilogy

I am currently attached to a training battalion for training Intelligence personell. I have been to Germany ( to cold!)
Korea ( Tolerable) and England (I Love it). Military has been very interesting as far as collecting Star Wars. You can get your bootlegs in other countries and you get robbed blind by the english if you are not careful. The PX's and BX's I've been to have not had any selection at all mostly the same three figures. I get most of my figures from traders on this site or ebay. My Mom and Wife also help me in collecting to when I'm overseas. Thank God I'm stateside again!! I an actually buy figures in stores again at reasonable prices. Rogue II you are right PCSing does take its toll on good carded figures. I take that risk on most of mine although there is still stuff I just can't resist opening (i.e. Republic Gunship, Tie Bomber and Interceptor). Some stuff is just to cool to keep in the box.

sith_killer_99
01-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Branch: Army
Time in service: 9 years
Current assignment: Fort Knox, KY
Collect: 3.75 inch US and non-US carded figures.

I am currently looking at getting Pro cases for all of my carded figures to avoid problems with PCSing. I only lost a couple SW cards to the last move. Unfortunatly all of my McFarlane Movie Maniacs suffered greatly. I have decided to stick to 3.75 inch stuff with a few (very few) exceptions.

I am also collecting the TRU Trans Formers Commemorative Series line.

Best deal I ever found at the PX/BX was a MOMC CommTech Leia for $3.95!!!

I was in Hawaii for 4 years before moving out here 18 months ago. There are no Target's in Hawaii so I missed out on the Skiff much to my dismay.:(

I heard that after the fiasco of EP1 AAFES refused to carry Star Wars action figures. Indeed, for the last year that I was in Hawaii I never saw a new shipment of Star Wars figures hit the PX/BX. Since I arrived here the only time I was able to find Star Wars figures at the PX was during the initial release for the movie.

I pretty much buy from TRU and Wal-Mart these days. During the holidays my wife, daughter and I drive to Canton Ohio and spend time with her family. I have had a lot of luck at the TRU outside Cincinnati (Ephant Mon, Endor Soldier clean shaven and re-issue Optimus Prime).

Next summer I will be driving to Colorado for my 10 year High School reunion. I will be on the look out. :D

r2dee2
01-04-2003, 12:36 AM
I am not the one in the military, except for being a military dependent all my life, but my father and hubby were both Air Force.

Branch: Air Force (hubby)
Time in service: (father 30 years) (hubby 20 years)
Current assignment: retired in Colorado

I've found a few good deals at the BX in the past, but the BX's in my area (Colorado Springs) haven't been carrying much of the Saga line either, as previously mentioned by sith_killer_99 and Rogue II. They had STACKS and STACKS of Ep I stuff, and had to clearance it at quite a loss.

I collect just about ANYTHING SW.

Oversees assignments:
Clark Field, PI
Hamilton AFB Bermuda
Ankara, Turkey
Oxford, England

Rogue II
01-04-2003, 12:58 AM
I was in Colorado Springs for 3.5 years. I found a lot of stuff at the Peterson BX.

I hope to get back to Colorado someday.

sith_killer_99
01-04-2003, 10:46 AM
WOW, I'm actually from Colorado, I was born in Minnesota and my family moved to Colorado when I was 10 years old.

We lived down in Ellicott (sp?) just east of Colorado Springs my freshmen year. That's where I learned to drive.

The rest of the time we lived in Commerce City. Then I joined the Army and went to AIT at Fitzsimmons, USAMEOS (United States Army Medical Equipment and Optical School). They shut down Fitz and moved our school to Shepard AFB in Texas.

Duty Assignments:

Ft. Belvoir, VA
Tripler, HI
Fort Knox, KY

Rogue II
01-04-2003, 11:08 AM
I've worked in:
March AFB, CA
Cheyenne Mountain, CO
Osan AB, Korea
Travis AFB, CA
and currently at the Pentagon.

jobi
01-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Branch: Air Force
Time in service: 8 years
Stationed at: Shaw AFB, SC
I collect: Mostly 3 3/4 but some 12" and miscellaneous as well.

I was stationed in England for 6 years. That's where I got back into collecting SW stuff. A lot of exclusive stuff I had to pay English collector prices (a whole lot of $$$). But now that I'm back in the states I have Wally World so all is good now. Most of my collection is carded so when it's PCS time I package it all up myself. I use hard plastic cases and loads of packing materials.

r2dee2
01-04-2003, 06:15 PM
I'm not surprised several of you have been stationed or once lived in Colorado, since we have Fort Carson, Air Force Academy, Falcon now Shriever, Cheyenne Mountain, Peterson in Colorado Springs alone, plus Ent AFB many moons ago, then Denver having Lowry (where Celebration I was held) and Fitz, both now closed. Lots of military love it so much they come back and retire:)

Rogue II, my hubby worked at Space Command at Pete, but also worked often up at Cheyene Mt. Small world:) I did find that the Pete BX had more SW in the Toyland area than the Academy BX too.

Rogue II
01-23-2003, 11:07 AM
I KNEW there was a reason I didn't join the Navy....

GO AIR FORCE!

Order of the day: You three don't get anywhere near each other!

(keep in mind, original line-up said GO NAVY)

Vortex
01-23-2003, 11:28 AM
So any of you Air Force folks Fliers?

I always wanted to join up to learn how to fly or attempt it. My grandfather was a flight instructior during WW II and taught me some things as a kid, and I always wanted to give it shot, but with my health issues I never would have been accepted.

Asthma combined with the various sports injuries, like tearing 3 ligaments in my ankle, I picked in my teens, a recruiter never would have wasted his breath on me.

But to all those defending the nation...keep up the good work and this Minnesota boy is a supporter.

r2dee2
01-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
So any of you Air Force folks Fliers?

I always wanted to join up to learn how to fly or attempt it. My grandfather was a flight instructior during WW II and taught me some things as a kid, and I always wanted to give it shot, but with my health issues I never would have been accepted.

Asthma combined with the various sports injuries, like tearing 3 ligaments in my ankle, I picked in my teens, a recruiter never would have wasted his breath on me.

But to all those defending the nation...keep up the good work and this Minnesota boy is a supporter.

My hubby got his wings at Columbus AFB MS (T-41, T-37 and T-38), was an instructor pilot at Vance AFB OK, flew the twin-otter (the one that lets the parachutists jump out over football games:) and flew flight test at Edwards AFB CA (F-15 and F-4). He also checked out in the C-47 Gooney bird, one of those staples in the AF.

Although the AF would perhaps not allow you to fly with your health issues, you can always get your private license....like Harrison Ford:)

Vortex
01-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by r2dee2
Although the AF would perhaps not allow you to fly with your health issues, you can always get your private license....like Harrison Ford:)

I only wish I could afford classes and a twin prop jobbie. Maybe one day when this star wars hobbie has died off, I sell off half of my collection for a small profit, the stock market turns around, and I get a long over due raise from the firm...

Besides, I don't think it could ever compare to the jets *sigh*:(

jesterX
01-26-2003, 01:50 AM
BRANCH: U.S.A.F

Time In service; 8 YEARS

Stationed: Lackland AFB TX

I collect the 3 3/4 figures. I have all but five figures from when they were re released back in 95. I went to a toy show and picked up some old figures for dirt cheap. I actually like to open my figs and display them.

Rogue II
01-30-2003, 09:55 AM
How is it some people ignore Operations Security?

I was driving into work today, listening to a Washington DC Rock Station. For the 2nd time in 3 months, some Marine calls in and tells the world what base and country he is getting deployed to. They both also mentioned what job they hold, how many peole are with them, and when they were leaving. Idiots. After the guy called in today, an Intelligence Officer called in and called the guy a moron, and how he may have compromised info.

I feel better, I just had to vent.

underdog25
02-15-2003, 07:24 PM
U. S. Army 7 years, Army Reserves 3 years
Stationed: Ft. Campbell, Germany, Bosnia and Ft Riley:-)
Currently: 309th Trans in Greencastle, PA And shipping out in a few days for the big one:-O
Collect: 3 3/4, 12" and store displays. Also have over 100 12" Gi Joe and Ultimate Soldier MODERN soldiers. Not to mention vehicles.
I was in Germany from 94 to 97 so I missed alot of stuff from the first few years. I picked up most of what missed when I came back. PCSing didn't really take too much of a toll on my stuff. I packed it myself and signed the waiver for the shippers and transportation. I got off active duty in 2000 and I have been a TRU store Mgr for the past three years! I love my job and help as many people as I can. Since my current situation won't permit me to collect I will miss it. Good luck to all of you this year in finding those new figures.

sith_killer_99
03-22-2003, 09:39 AM
I just thought I'd drop in and see how everyone's doing. Is morale high? All I can say is I'm doing my part, Op Sec and all that.;)

Anyway, I do hope that all troops (Multi-National) make it back safe.

Good luck and God speed.

r2dee2
04-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
I just thought I'd drop in and see how everyone's doing. Is morale high? All I can say is I'm doing my part, Op Sec and all that.;)

Anyway, I do hope that all troops (Multi-National) make it back safe.

Good luck and God speed.

DITTO to that sith_killer_99!! I'm so proud of our troops and I pray for their safe return. ....and congrats again on your little one:)

SUPPORT OUT TROOPS (http://r2toyforce.net/freedom.htm)

Rogue II
05-09-2003, 01:09 PM
This isn't Star Wars, but since the military is popular once again, everyone wants to give us discounts.

Check out this:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/907858.asp?cp1=1

And I got this in an e-mail from our First Sgt. today. I've already applied to Sandals.

A platoon of discounts and freebies for the valorous men and women of the armed forces

May 5 - It’s not only President Bush who is publicly thanking the troops for their courage and sacrifices. A number of travel companies are expressing their gratitude with special discounts and freebies, to ease the troops passage home and reward them with a bit of R&R once they get settled.

WHETHER OR NOT these outpourings are altogether altruistic (or simply an effective marketing ploy—heck, they got my attention), there are some excellent bargains out there for the savvy sailor, soldier, airman or marine.

AIRFARES
First priority for many is simply getting home or visiting loved ones in the hospital. To that end a number of carriers have offered special discounts for servicemen and women and their families:

Alaska Air and Horizon Air are cutting fares by 40 percent for active and reserve military and their immediate families traveling with them. Ask for the “Thank you Fares” which will be valid for travel through Feb. 12, 2004, but must be purchased by Sept. 30 of this year. Travel must originate in the United States and requires a Saturday-night stay-over and a three-day advance purchase. To book “Thank You Fares” call Horizon at 800/547-9308 or Alaska at 800/ALASKA-AIR (800-252-7522). The airlines also have special bereavement and medical emergency fares.

ATA is offering free travel for immediate family members of wounded active military personnel. It’s extending this free service to family member who need to travel to attend funerals as well. Call 800/435-9282 and ask for ATA’s “Military Family Travel Assistance Program”.

Continental Airlines is waiving advance purchase requirements and minimum stay requirements for family of members of the US armed forces who were injured in Iraq. Call 800/468-7022 for more details.

Delta Airlines is discounting fares from the US to Germany and Puerto Rico, for those who need to visit their loved ones hospitalized overseas. Travel must be completed by June 18. Call 800/325-1212 and tell the agent you speak with to refer to page 12147 for more information.

United Airlines is offering an additional discount off its normal “emergency” and “bereavement” fares. The program is called the “Special Care Fare”. Call 800/864-8331 to learn more.

US Airways has put together a “Salute Savings” program for members of the military (active duty and reservists) and their immediate families. Contact a government-contracted travel agency for more information. Discounted travel is available everywhere US Airways flies, be it within the United States or to Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico or Europe. Departures must originate in the United States, with travel completed by Feb. 12, 2004 (purchase tickets by Dec. 31).

THE BIG GIVEAWAY IN TROPICAL RESORTS

Now on to the R&R, or “Operation Relax” as the company behind the offer calls it. Sandals and Beaches, those swanky chains of all-inclusive resorts, are giving away free four-night vacations, good for the next two years. Well, I should say “almost free” as military personnel will have to pay their own airfare to get to the Caribbean (the resorts are located in St. Lucia, Antigua, Jamaica, Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas). But once they’re on site, everything will be taken care of—all meals, drinks (even premium liquors), snacks, tips and all activities from water skiing to scuba diving to golf. It’s quite an offer, especially considering the plush amenities of these two chains.

Military personnel are requested to go to the Beaches (www.beaches.com) or Sandal’s (www.sandals.com) websites on May 9 to download an application form. Completed applications must be received by Aug. 9 at the latest. The parent company of Sandals and Beaches plans to give away $2 million worth of free vacations, with each one worth $2000 per person (you do the math).

TORTOLA FOR TWO
Set on a mile-long swatch of powdery white sand, the Long Bay Beach and Resort is considered one of the finest on Tortola. It’s now saluting America’s finest by presenting 10 lucky couples with a free “Romance Package”. How romantic is it? Well, there’ll be ocean view accommodations, four candlelight dinners for two, champagne in room upon arrival, an island tour (or one-day car rental) and complimentary daytime tennis, nine-hole pitch-and-putt, snorkeling equipment, roundtrip airport/ferry transfers, and live ocean side entertainment. This is a first-come, first-served giveaway, so call 877/906-2525 as soon as possible. For those who don’t get one of the ten slots, Long Bay is giving those who served in the Iraq war a 50 percent discount on stays through Dec. 31, dropping the price of a room to $77/night, including breakfast. For more info go to www.longbay.com.

TRADE THE BARRACKS FOR A HOTEL

For the entire month of May, most Knights Inn and Villager Inns will drop their rates to a flat $28/night for all active and retired members of the US military. Military personnel can book stays by calling either chain’s toll-free reservations line and using code “LSGM”. Stays at Knights Inn hotels can be booked by calling (800) 843-5644 and stays at Villager locations can be booked by calling (800) 328-7829.

Those visiting the Big Apple will get a break at Hotel Thirty Thirty (please click here to read our review of this property). Thirty Thirty is giving twenty, twenty percent that is, in discounts for the troops. Go to www.3030nyc.com or call 800-497-6028.

The Four Points LAX, located near several military bases, is lowering its rates to $59/night for military dependents. That rate drops to $49/night for weeklong stays. Go to www.fourpointslax.com for details.

A SALUTE FROM SIN CITY
Over sixty of Vegas’ top hotels have joined together in a promotion called “Operation Welcome Home” which will net military personnel a 20 percent discount at any of the participating properties (the Aladdin, the Luxor, Excalibur, Paris Las Vegas, Stratosphere, Terribles and many others). Along with discounts on rooms, there should be some savings on dining, shopping and entertainment. Before jumping at the 20 percent, however, we’d suggest shopping around, as one often sees deeper discounts with such companies as Expedia, Hotels.com and Quikbook. For more info, go to www.vegasfreedom.com (click on the “Great deals” section) or call 877/VISITLV.

A FREE RIDE AT THE THEME PARKS

Anheuser-Busch is not just a brew-meister. It owns five of the most popular theme parks in the US: SeaWorld San Antonio, SeaWorld Orlando, SeaWorld San Diego, Busch Gardens and Sesame Place.For the upcoming months, it will be waiving the entrance fees to all five for all active duty military and reservists, US Coast guard, National guardsmen and their dependants for visits between Memorial Day and Veterans Day (Nov. 11). To learn more go to www.anheuserbusch.com.

CRUISE NEWS
The savings don’t end on land. We’ve heard from the folks at Cruises Only (www.cruisesonly.com) that Norwegian Cruise Lines is marking down for the military as well. Some of the discounted sailings include a 14-night “Exotic Caribbean” itinerary aboard the Norwegian Dawn for just $399, and seven night New York-Bermuda voyages (aboard the Norwegian Sea) also for $399. Contact Cruises Only or your favorite cruise agency for more information.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER STAYS

A company called Real Resorts, which owns almost a dozen properties on the Mayan Riviera, will be discounting rates by 50 percent at three of its properties: The Gran Porto Real Resort and Spa in Playa del Carmen, the Gran Caribe Real Resort and Spa in Cancun and the Costa Real Hotel and Suites. With the discount, all inclusive rates will start at $80/person, per night from now through May 20, from May 28 through July 1 and from Aug. 20 through Dec. 20. Call 800/543-7556 or go to www.realresorts.com.mx for more information on the “Red, White and Blue” rates. The offer is open to active duty military and reservists, US Coast Guard and National Guardsmen.

In addition, the town of Puerta Vallarta has gone on a discounting spree, gifting US military at a number of properties including the Hotel Rosita and El Pescadro. Both are located in the heart of Puerto Vallarta, adjacent to the oceanside walkway in the center of the city. Hotel Rosita offers a special military offer of $50, or $58 at the El Pescador, both with daily breakfasts (call 877/813-6712) for travel through Dec. 21. Until Dec. 23, 2003, the Club Embarcadero Pacifico (a nautical style beach hotel in the heart of the exclusive area of Marina Vallarta) is offering special military rates at $70 (call 011-52/322-221-1177). For more information about other participating Puerto Vallarta properties, or for general PV info, call your 888/384-6822, or log on to www.visitpuertovallarta.com.

MUSEUM ADMISSIONS

Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum, NYC: It may feel like a bit of a “busman’s holiday” but for Fleet Week this year (May 21-27), military personnel on active duty will be allowed to tour the USS Intrepid absolutely free. Many will take part in arm wrestling and tug of war competitions. The museums site is www.intrepidmuseum.org

Old Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge, MA: A chance to journey back to the early 19th century, with a visit to this historically accurate, recreated village set on 200 acres of land. Military personnel receive a 20 percent discount on admission and children under 6 are free. Go to www.osv.com or call 800/SEE-1830 for directions and additional information.

Battleship Cove, Fall River, MA: The largest collection of historic naval ships in the US is on display here, so it’s only natural they’re welcoming back current day sailors (and soldiers and marines) with a 50 percent-plus discount on admission. Military will pay $4.50 (as opposed to $10) to enter, but if they wear their uniforms, they get in free. Learn more at www.battleshipcove.org

Mead Art Museum, Amherst, MA: Free admission and a gift (either a key chain, postcards or a flashlight key chain) with military ID. The museum is affiliated with Amherst College and has an unusually fine collection of American paintings. Go to www.amherst.edu/mead.

CAPE COD CAMPING

Our final offer comes from Peter Pond Park, a campground in Sandwich, MA, which will be cutting its rates by 50 percent for those who served in Iraq. Visit www.campcapecod.com for pictures, prices and other details.

bigbarada
06-17-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm a veteran, does that count?

Branch: US Army
Time in service at separation: 10.8 years
MOS: 31U - a glorified radio repairman

I've been overseas a couple of times:
165th MI, Darmstadt, GE (Dec 1991-Dec 1993)
62nd Engineer Bn, Bosnia/Croatia (Sep 1996- May 1997)
122 Signal Bn, Uijongbu, South Korea (Feb 2000-Feb 2001)

After taking a break from collecting for a while, I'm kind of getting back into it little by little (it was the upcoming Removable Helmet Vader that brought me back).

Anyways, I'm in the process of trying to get into the Reserves, but have gotten too fat since I have been out. I'll go back in October for another tape test (I was only 0.62% over on my bodyfat!). So wish me luck.:)

Rogue II
06-18-2003, 09:10 AM
Hey BigB, how have you been? I haven't seen you around here in a long time. Were you one of those SW fans who jumped ship to the LOTR? I don't blame you if you were.

They announced my organization is being outsourced. That means I'll be at my 6th duty location before my 11 year mark.

BTW, I just hit my 10 year mark on the 16 Jun. That is a $84.9 /per month raise. Yeah!

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 10:32 AM
I took a break from collecting anything for a while; but I'm kind of creeping back into Star Wars again. Strangely enough, no matter how much I like the LOTR films, I just can't bring myself to collect any of the merchandise.

I can't guarantee how regularly I will be visiting however.