PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else given up their life to Animal Crossing?

plasticfetish
01-03-2003, 03:15 AM
OK.
So it's been something like 25 years since I started playing video games that involved me having to kill things. I've been flying, running and blasting my way through 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128 bit fields of destruction for quite a while ... and now, I have these new friends that just want to chat and share fruit.

What am I talking about? If you don't know, it's this ...
Animal Crossing (http://www.animal-crossing.com/welcome.jsp)
... and if you do know about it, welcome to your new life.

But seriously, Santa brought a new Game Cube this year and with it came Animal Crossing. I can't believe I even have time to write this, as I'm afraid that my tiny village of sarcastic animal friends needs tending to. Who will shake the trees for fruit? Who will pull the weeds or chat with the Mayor? Remember, beware the bees! Hopefully soon I will get an ax so that some good old fashioned destruction can begin.

So, uhh ... has anyone else put down the blaster for now to play with these new friends ... or is it just me?

QLD
01-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Yeah, for the first 4 months after it came out, my fiance and I both were totally addicted. We have neglected our little town for a while now, but it's a FANTASTIC game.

mrmiller
01-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Me and Master Chief are going to ride our Waethog through the middle of you're litte Utopia since you are all just obvious Flood mutations. I can't control the violent tendancies. All your base are belong to us! <Rat.Tat.Tat.Blam!.>:Pirate:

=MATT=

Rogue II
02-05-2003, 11:26 AM
We just got a GameCube. This was one of the first games we bought for it. I had no intention of playing it because I figured it would be one of "my wife's games." Well, she played it for a couple days and said she needed to start another town. She talked me into trying. Now I'm addicted...I actually quit playing Rogue Leader and Jedi Outcast to play this game. I feel so ashamed.

Speaking of video games with killing in them, is there any way to get rid of that stupid cat on the train?

plasticfetish
02-05-2003, 12:49 PM
No, the cat can't die. But, if you're rude to him when he asks if he can sit down it's pretty funny.

Oh, and by the way ... now you're ONE OF US, ONE OF US!!!

I've gotten my inlaws and another friend to buy a cube and enslave themselves to this game. I'm still amazed at how much time I put into this ... oh, gott'a go ... Nook's got a sale on rugs.

Lord Malakite
02-05-2003, 01:29 PM
If you think this game is addictive, just wait until Animal Crossing 2 and The Sims are out for the GameCube.

12inch Lando
02-05-2003, 01:30 PM
No but I laugh at people who have.

plasticfetish
02-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
If you think this game is addictive, just wait until Animal Crossing 2 and The Sims are out for the GameCube.

You know, that's the funny thing ... I'm not really into The Sims. I think it's the "silly" factor of this game that's most amusing. Having a cartoon wolf tell you to "shut up with the shutting up!" when you push him around too much. Very funny stuff.

I've heard about Animal Crossing 2 ... wonder what the changes will be. I've heard more than a few people wonder why the game doesn't have online capabilities.

QLD
02-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by 12inch Lando
No but I laugh at people who have.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

SHUTUP YOU STUPID FACE!!!!!!!!

It's.....a good game...really....it is....*sob*

Teeska Mon Eebon
02-07-2003, 10:54 AM
That game is the reason I haven't been one here for a while... In fact playing it right now!

Teeska Mon Eebon
02-07-2003, 10:55 AM
BTW has anyone ever missed a day or something? I fugured out how to use time travel... you get really weedy but it works.

plasticfetish
05-14-2003, 08:43 PM
OK. I'm still playing. How about you?

We just got a GBAsp, so we're spending time on our little island now. Life is so nice and simple on the island.

The only real complication is that I just got Grand Theft Auto 3 and now I'm a little torn between pulling weeds and collecting bugs in one game or stealing cop cars and smashing pedestrians in the other ... eh, such is life.

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 01:33 AM
I've been meaning to try out this game for a while now. After reading this thread I'm not so sure if I should.;)

Although I do know how it is when you become addicted to a video game at the expense of a healthy social life. I was that way for weeks when I bought Harvest Moon for the Super Nintendo (easily one of my all-time favorite games). I can't wait for the upcoming Gamecube version.:cool:

plasticfetish
06-18-2003, 01:57 AM
I had a friend tell me that she used to zone out while playing the Sims for huge periods of time. I wont go near the Sims ... but I suspect it's pretty much the same as Animal Crossing. I'll admit ... my dedication to the "town" has become a bit less frequent. My whole family is playing (wife, kid and me ... good family fun) and we pretty much just wander around once or twice a week or when something "special" is going on. This month was the "fishing tournament".

The funniest thing is how my in-laws have gotten into this game. My father in-law retired last year and they bought a Game Cube. He'll sit down, play a little and then take a nap. The game's worst problem is that it's so relaxing that it makes you drowsy.

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 02:12 AM
A "virtual-sedative?":D

Rogue II
07-07-2003, 10:29 AM
A "virtual-sedative?":D

Pretty much. I have fell asleep sevaral times while fishing late at night.

This game is way better than the Sims. In the Sims, you have to worry about eating, sleeping, personal hygene, using the bathroom, your job, and advancing skill levels. In Animal Crossing, all you have to do is collect furniture, find money, talk to the animals, catch bugs, and go fishing. AC is much more relaxing.

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Okay, I bought AC about two weeks ago and I can't stop playing it! Everytime I think I am going to put it down for good and go on to something else, I wake up the next morning thinking, "Oooh, I wonder what fossils I got in the mail this morning." Then the madness starts all over again.

BTW, is there any real negative aspect to getting stung by bees? I get stung on average of about 5 times a day, and it never does anything but elicit some amusing reactions from the townsfolk. The swelling goes down as soon as you Save & Quit or travel to another town, so I can't see any reason to really avoid it. Although actually trying to capture the bees in the bugnet is just an exercise in frustration. Anybody been able to catch these little buggers?

Anyways, this is easily one of the most addictively-fun video games I've ever played.

Rogue II
12-22-2003, 12:27 AM
I still play this game almost every day. Make sure you only mail 3 fossils per day. you won't get any more than that in the mail. This weekend, I actually got my HRA up to 209,000. I have the hidden nintendo theme upstairs and the Thanksgiving theme downstairs. The codes for the nintendo theme were in Nintendo Power magazine, but you can find them on the intertnet pretty easy.

Bee stings don't have any lasting effect. The animals will laugh at you when you first talk to them, but that's about it. Catching them isn't that hard. When you shake the tree, make sure you are standing on the north side of the tree. When the hive falls, turn around so that you are facing north. Grab your net. When the swarm of bees get to the 3 o'clock position or so, swing the net. It comes down to timing.

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 12:50 AM
So, wait a minute, if I mail out five fossils in one day does that mean that two of those fossils will vanish into thin air? :eek:

Anyways, thanks for the info on the bees, if Tom didn't pay out 4500 Bells I wouldn't bother; but for that amount of money it's worth a try. :greedy:

plasticfetish
12-22-2003, 01:20 AM
Rogue II ... 209,000 HRA is crazy! I've got 150,000ish and that was hard.

Okay, I bought AC about two weeks ago and I can't stop playing it! Everytime I think I am going to put it down for good and go on to something else, I wake up the next morning thinking, "Oooh, I wonder what fossils I got in the mail this morning." Then the madness starts all over again.
Ah, hahahaha ... you're trapped!

We've really slacked when it comes to keeping our town up. I haven't been around much since October ... and I keep rolling the clock back so I wont miss Halloween. (I'm so behind now it's sad.) Christmas time is the best with the igloos and being able to score the entire winter/snow furniture set. Man that game will haunt you even when you're no where near it.

(We picked up Mario Sunshine and have been stuck on that for a while.)

But, my in-laws still play AC on a weekly basis ... I think they have 2 towns going on different memory cards.

The bee stings only serve to make you look ugly and freak out the animals. As you know, they'll make fun of you and scream and stuff like that. Catching the bees is pretty hard, I've only done it twice in a year.

See ... now that your playing, you'll end up freaking out and saying ... "Oh, I wonder what the town is doing for Christmas." Then you'll run off and spend the holidays with the animals. Last New Years, instead of watching the "ball" drop in Times Square, we watched fireworks in our village. :classic:

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 11:36 AM
I have another question about this game, is there another way to get music for your stereo aside from seeing KK on Saturday nights? I've been busy the last two Saturdays, so I missed getting any new songs. Even when I did get a chance to meet up with KK at the train station, he would only give me one song. At this rate it would take over a year to get every song. Is there another way?

plasticfetish
12-22-2003, 05:08 PM
No, pretty much KK on Saturday is it. He's there until midnight I think. You can request a specific song and he'll give it to you, otherwise he picks one.

Here's a good fan site with lists and tips and all sorts of info ... www.animalxing.com (http://www.animalxing.com). There's a list of KK songs on the "event guide" page. (When you type in the song names, remember that it's case, punctuation and spelling sensitive.)

Lord Malakite
12-23-2003, 03:05 AM
I have another question about this game, is there another way to get music for your stereo aside from seeing KK on Saturday nights? I've been busy the last two Saturdays, so I missed getting any new songs. Even when I did get a chance to meet up with KK at the train station, he would only give me one song. At this rate it would take over a year to get every song. Is there another way?
I was under the impression you can also get them with e-Reader cards. That is if you have a GBA or GBA SP, a GCN/GBA link cable, an e-Reader, and the right selection of e-Reader cards from Animal Crossing Card Series 1 through 4 (plus Promo cards).

plasticfetish
12-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Yeah ... you may be right, but I haven't gotten an e-reader yet to try it. We have hooked the GBASP up so that we could visit the "island". Kind of silly, but we were able to score a bunch of off season bugs there for our collection.

Rogue II
12-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Is the e-reader really worth the $40? Not to mention the $3/pack for the cards. I know there are a couple NES games that you can only get with the cards.

I'm a surfboard shy of collecting all of the island items. So I'll be visiting my island a lot this weekend.

Lord Malakite
12-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Is the e-reader really worth the $40? Not to mention the $3/pack for the cards. I know there are a couple NES games that you can only get with the cards.

I'm a surfboard shy of collecting all of the island items. So I'll be visiting my island a lot this weekend.

I'd say it depends on what GBA/GCN games you own that uses it and whether you plan on picking up any e-Reader card games. The only 2 NES games I know that are exclusive for e-Reader cards only on Animal Crossing are Mario Bros. and Ice Climber (both of which are found in Series 4). It does add a bit of a new element to the game though that you don't usually get with other video games. In addition to trying to complete your collections in the game, you are also in the hunt to complete your card collection outside the game. So its like you are playing the game even when you aren't. :D

Being the Star Wars collectors we are, it sounds like something right up our alley. ;)

plasticfetish
12-30-2003, 04:16 AM
I've just been waiting to see the e-reader go down to $20 or something. I see the cards and really have to resist the urge to buy them even without an e-reader.

Anyone know if the e-reader works with the GBA SP? I looks like it wouldn't, but I haven't held one or tried it to find out.

Man, I am soooo behind on AC now. I have the clock held at like October 30th... so I can do Halloween still. I'm gonna have to sit down one afternoon and fly through the months of November and December, just so I can get caught up with the new year. :ermm: My animal friends will hate me now... it's all Mario and Luigi's fault. The kid got Mario Kart - Double Dash!! for X-mas. (That, and we bought Bounty Hunter today with X-mas money.)

Lord Malakite
12-31-2003, 10:59 AM
The e-Reader does work with the GBA SP. The only difference is how you hook it up to your system. In the GBA SP it dosen't block/connect to the extension port like on a normal GBA, so you would hook the GCN/GBA cable directly to the GBA SP instead of to the e-Reader.

On a similar note, I just got this game for Christmas and have some good news and some bad news about getting songs with the e-Reader. The good news is that I indeed got one (K.K. Ska) from the promo Animal Crossing card that came with the e-Reader. The bad news is that it is the only one that gave me a song, so the other cards may not have them.

How many NES games does everyone have so far? I currently have three. Excitebike (memory card gift), Pinball (memory card gift), and Soccer (website promo).

Rogue II
12-31-2003, 04:02 PM
I have Balloon fight, Baseball, Clu Clu Land, Donkey Kong Math Jr., Donkey Kong, Excite Bike, Golf, Pinball, Soccer, Tennis, and Wario's Woods. I also have Super Tortimer (April Fool's day gift), and the NES (anyone know that it is for?)

I've been playing almost a year, so I'm getting real close to collecting all of the items. The only things I'm missing are from Redd's Tent, Gulliver, the Lottery, and the surfboard from the island. I have all of the cartpets, fossils, and tools/umbrellas/pinwheels/fans. After tomorrow, I will have all of the paper. I need 2 more wallpapers, and a dozen or so more shirts. There is only 12 million bells in my bank account, so it is going to take me a loooooong time to earn the post office model.

If anyone needs a certain item (that is tradeable) post your name and town, and I'll send it to you.

plasticfetish
01-01-2004, 07:35 PM
...and the NES (anyone know what it is for?)
I'm pretty sure it's good for nothing. Just an empty NES... HRA points maybe?

Between the 3 of us playing in my town (wife, kid and myself) we've got... Donkey Kong (which honestly doubles the value of this game for me), clu clu land, tennis, golf, excitebike, balloon fight, "super tortimer" and the empty NES.

bigbarada
02-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Hey guys, sorry I only get to visit here once in a blue moon. I managed to find a solution to many of the problems with only getting one song a week from KK and one carpet from Saharah, one wallpaper from Wendell, etc. Just create three towns!! I had bought my brother a copy of the game in the hopes that he would play it and help me complete some of the furniture sets; but he's afraid that the game will take up too much of his time (pretty much the exact same reason I waited over a year to try it out). Anyways, I was running three towns throughout most of January and was able to get quite a collection of merchandise (not to mention collecting ALL of the fossils for the museum and saving up over 2 million Bells in the Post Office). Unfortunately with a new college semester starting up I had to delete two of the towns yesterday (after cleaning out all three of Tom's lotteries). It was just getting too stressful trying to keep up with everything.

I'm still trying to complete the Boxing Theme, however. All I need at this point are the Red Corner, the Blue Corner and the Judge's Bell. Do any of you guys have access to these items? I'm not sure how the password system works, but I think we can trade items even over the net. As long as you know the exact name of the player and town, you can pretty much send them anything. Anyways, just let me know what you guys are looking for and we can give it a shot. I'm working in our college's Macintosh lab this semester, so I will be able to visit here a little more frequently.

Rogue II
02-01-2004, 04:37 PM
I just got the Red Corner the other day. I've had the Blue and bell for a long time. Post your town and name and I'll hook you up.

bigbarada
02-02-2004, 01:12 PM
My name: Koby
My town name: Pittburg

Thanks, it's been driving me crazy every time Redd shows up and he only has three items and two of them are just overpriced garbage I can get at Tom Nook's anyday. Post a list of any items you are looking for and I will send them to you if they're in my catalog already or keep my eyes peeled for them in the future.

BTW, these are the items I got out of Tom's lottery the other day, let me know if any of you guys need them:

Lovely Kitchen
Hi-Fi Stereo
Jukebox
Garden Pond
Mario Trophy
Ranch Hutch
White Queen
Black King
White King

Thanks again, Rogue II!! :cool:

Kidhuman
02-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Reading this entire thread makes me happy I dont have a gamecube. This game sounds like fun, but I would never have the time to play it. And hey BigB long time no see.

plasticfetish
02-03-2004, 04:17 AM
The worst thing is that if you run out of time to play it, or get distracted by other games... you start to feel really, really guilty. (But it is fun!)

OK. I found this over at the Takara toys site...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/takara-bako/257610/

...so cool.

http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/takara-bako/img1063599832.jpeg

There's also a little Nook's set. :)

El Chuxter
02-03-2004, 10:51 AM
My wife loves sim-type games, and she got me a GameCube for Christmas. I was debating picking this up, since it sounds kinda cool, and the NES games make it an added bonus.

However, after reading the posts here and seeing how addictive it is (not to mention the major turn-off of "real-time playing"), I have decided to preserve both our sanity and pass. :p

I'm practically widowed to the Return of the King game as it is. lol

bigbarada
02-06-2004, 09:48 AM
I've heard rumors floating around about Animal Crossing 2. I wonder what new features that would have. With as much as I love this game that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of improvements. For instance, more distinct personalities for the animal residents - when you start getting more than seven residents you start to notice a few animals have the exact same personality and every once in a while they even repeat the same dialog. Also, less emphasis on letter writing unless Nintendo plans to release a keyboard accessory.

What improvements would you other AC-junkies like to see?

bigbarada
02-06-2004, 09:56 AM
The worst thing is that if you run out of time to play it, or get distracted by other games... you start to feel really, really guilty. (But it is fun!)

OK. I found this over at the Takara toys site...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/takara-bako/257610/

...so cool.

http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/takara-bako/img1063599832.jpeg

There's also a little Nook's set. :)

I just got around to clicking on those links, how cool!! I wonder if any of those will ever make it over here.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what residents do you guys have in your towns? Right now my town has:

Samson
Tank
Cobb
Gruff
Mitzy
Tiara
Hornsby
Jane
Octavian
Mallary
Jambette (but she plans on moving the next time I visit another town)
Spork
Portia
Cookie
Kitt

bigbarada
02-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Hey, Rogue II, don't worry about the Blue Corner anymore, I just got it yesterday through a little bit of creative cheating. I think I can use the same method to get ahold of the Red Corner and Judge's Bell also, it will just take more time.

What I did was create another town as my guinea pig town and I did a little time travelling. I would set the clock to register as 10 AM on the last day of each month so I could get an advanced look at the lottery items being offered. I just kept jumping forward month after month after month after month...... fast forward to June 30th 2010, when the Blue Corner was finally offered in the lottery. I then reset the clock back to about the middle of June and went crazy stocking up on lottery tickets, I was trying for 25 sets (since you can only hold a total of 25 items in your inventory and letters) but had to settle for 24 sets when I just ran out of money (buying out Tom's inventory everyday puts a major strain on your wallet). In any case, it was enough, when I jumped forward to lottery day the Blue Corner was still up for grabs and I won with about 13 sets of tickets to spare.

Getting the stuff from Redd might be a little tougher since he shows up on a random schedule. Actually, I guess I could just keep jumping from Sale Day to Sale Day (in November) until the stuff I want becomes available (I think I can go all the way up to 2099 with the clock).

The cool thing about all of this was that the 6 year time difference didn't have any effect when I traveled to my primary town (Pittburg) and buried the Blue Corner.

It was pretty funny when the animals in my trial town would complain about not having talked to me in 67 months. But they were all quick to forgive (one actually thought I was running from collection agents :D ) and the next time I talked to them it was business as usual.

The only real downside is that the weed problem gets pretty out of hand. If a fruit tree is surrounded by weeds then, when you shake it, the fruit won't drop it will just disappear since it has nowhere to land (the same holds true for the daily 'money rocks' that you have to hit with a shovel).

If anyone else has come up with some new ways of manipulating the game, I'm all ears.

BTW, what purpose do the DUMMY and Pitfall serve?

Lord Malakite
02-16-2004, 12:48 PM
If you bury a pitfall and one of your animal neighbors walk over the spot, they fall into a pit. Serves as a mean little practical joke. The DUMMY is a leftover item the programmers used to test the game out during development but forgot to take out in the final version. It serves no purpose.

bigbarada
02-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I've watched animals fall into the Pitfalls before (and have even fallen into a couple myself); but I wasn't sure if there was any other purpose aside from just being mean.

That's pretty interesting about the DUMMY, I received one from an igloo resident a while back and it was just a plain white triangle with Japanese lettering on it. At least I know not to risk 3000 Bells trying to get one again.

Well, my little time-traveler jumped from Sale Day to Sale Day on Sunday night and I finally got ahold of the Red Corner and the Judge's Bell (along with the Wide-Screen TV and the Super Toilet). So I finally completed the Boxing Theme, but for some reason the HRA is docking me about 12,000 points in my home design. I'm a little stymied as to what's wrong.

I have the Boxing Theme on the first floor of course, and the complete Nintendo Set and the Lucky Nintendo set on the second floor (the Playroom wall and carpet are on the second floor also). The only reason I think I might have been docked so many points is for having too many unrelated special items in both floors (both fishing trophies, the spring medal, a dracaena, fireplace, snowboard, samurai suit, etc.); but I thought those items were supposed to boost your score not get you penalized. :confused:

Right now, I will try to figure this our systematically. I've removed anything not related to the Boxing Theme or Nintendo Sets from both floors and I will see how the HRA scores me. Then I will add stuff back in little by little to see where the problem might be.

Any suggestions from the more experienced players here would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

Lord Malakite
02-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Any suggestions from the more experienced players here would be greatly appreciated. :cool:
You might also want to mess with the arrangement of your themed items. This game also works on the principal of Feng Shui. I've heard the better your Feng Shui, the better your HRA score tends to be. This guide (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/animal_crossing_feng_shui.txt) should be able to help you.

bigbarada
02-18-2004, 07:38 PM
You might also want to mess with the arrangement of your themed items. This game also works on the principal of Feng Shui. I've heard the better your Feng Shui, the better your HRA score tends to be. This guide (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/animal_crossing_feng_shui.txt) should be able to help you.

That link sent me to an error message, but I'll try it again later.

Anyways, I cleaned out all the unrelated unecessary crap from my house and put a little more thought into my furniture layout and my HRA score jumped from 89,000 to 117,000. Which is cool, all I really wanted was to get the Manor Model and the HRA can go plotz for all I care. Thanks for the help, though. :cool:

Next question, are the NES games only available through the lottery?

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Just copy and paste this into your address bar: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/animal_crossing_feng_shui.txt

Lord Malakite
02-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Next question, are the NES games only available through the lottery?
Not all of them.

bigbarada
02-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Not all of them.

Is Punch-Out available through the lottery? Even better, is there a list somewhere that maps out how to get each game? My player's guide doesn't give any hints as to where the games come from.

Boba Fettfield, thanks for the link. I never realized that there was a connection between feng shui and the stacks of stationery I've been getting. In fact, I was getting so much stationery that I quit doing favors for the village animals. I guess I'll have to feng shui up my house and start up again.

James Boba Fettfield
02-20-2004, 04:14 PM
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/animal_crossing_nes.txt

Do the copy and paste thing again since gamefaqs.com doesn't allow direct linking. It tells how to get the games and even lists the games that you cannot get unless you have an Action Replay (it's a cheat device, like a game genie)

Lord Malakite
02-20-2004, 09:46 PM
The link JBF provided does an excellent job of explaining how to get them. I'd suggest getting soccer while you are online. :)

plasticfetish
04-01-2010, 03:01 AM
Seeing as how the Wii version of this game seems to eat up at least a few minutes of every day, I'm gonna bump this thread and ask... anyone else still given up their life to Animal Crossing?

Darth Jax
04-01-2010, 07:41 AM
i've fallen victim to the AC virus

Lord Malakite
04-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Seeing as how the Wii version of this game seems to eat up at least a few minutes of every day, I'm gonna bump this thread and ask... anyone else still given up their life to Animal Crossing?
Haven't played either the DS or Wii games (although one of my younger brothers has the DS one). I'd like to maybe someday, but I'm a bit hesitant to get into it with the limited & one time "online/Toys"R"Us kiosk download" items that were introduced to both games. Also one of my bigger turnoffs for Pokemon games (with the likes of Mew, Celebi, etc.).

I like having the ability to "collect everything" without having the pressure of knowing that if I don't go online or visit a particular store/promo within a limited time span that those items become almost impossible to get without either a cheat device and/or an online trade partner. This applies even more so to the Wii version since those "online exclusive items" aren't preprogrammed into the game to find with a cheat device if you do miss them.

As for the GCN version... I haven't played the GCN version in probably a little over a year now. But that has more to do with the fact that I have beaten/completed 100% of that game. At least 100% of what is humanly possible without a cheat device. I managed to get several e-Reader cards and make special memory card "train travel" trades with people personally from other GCN towns to get all 15 station models. Through Guyute's help I was able to obtain the e-Reader cards for the e-Reader exclusive NES games (Ice Climber & Mario Bros.). I also (thanks to Animal Crossing's passcode system being "universal" despite the game's release region) was able to get the NES game Punch-Out!! (never made available in the US), as well as Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, and CluClu Land D thanks to contest codes from Nintendo's UK Animal Crossing website (much like how I got a contest code for Soccer from Nintendo's US Animal Crossing website). I even managed (after nearly 1 1/2 years of buyng 500,000+ bells on turnips and selling them on the stock market on an "every week" basis) to save the 999,999,999 bells needed to get the post model.

Only thing I'm missing from the GCN game now are the 2 "non-catalog/cheat device only" NES games (The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros.) & the 8 "removed/non-catalog" shirts (plum kimono, blue sweatsuit, etc.) that are impossible to get without a cheat device or by hacking the Nook trade passcodes.

Oh, and my physical set of eReader cards for the GCN game are no where near being complete if anyone is wondering about those.

ncbarrett
04-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Have played all of them, and currently playing City Folk. Just restarted my town.

plasticfetish
04-04-2010, 02:31 AM
I even managed (after nearly 1 1/2 years of buyng 500,000+ bells on turnips and selling them on the stock market on an "every week" basis) to save the 999,999,999 bells needed to get the post model.Uh... errr... I enjoy making the animals say dirty words. ;)

But seriously, I don't know what it is about this game. It's so mundane, and yet I feel the need to sign in to see if I've got mail, or check to see what c**p Nook has for sale pretty much every day.

Lord Malakite
04-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Uh... errr... I enjoy making the animals say dirty words. ;)
Yeah, thats fun too. :p I just simply ran out of things (aka accomplishments/goals) to do in the game.

Can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of it though. Got the game for Christmas 2003 as a "Player's Choice" title (which made it only $30). I must have played it practically every day of every week from that day on up until late 2008 or early 2009 when I finally got the post model the legit "save 999,999,999 bells at the Post Office" way, which also got me my final "purple catalog star" at Nook's. Certainly a lot more time spent on this one game than in many others from recent years.

Aside from my main character being 100% complete (all "purple star" catalog, completed every "personal" task possible, attended every holiday/event possible), my town (in the general sense) is also 100% complete. Every fruit tree grows in my town, the Museum has all its donated items, Nook's place is is upgraded to Nookington's, all 4 houses are 100% upgraded (with their butterfly plaque & fish weather vane) and all 4 statues (gold/silver/bronze/jade) are present.

joanaugusts
04-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Animal Crossing is almost like real world.The difference is that this game is in cartoon form other than that it's almost same like that, you can plant flowers,learn about culture,beauty treatment and many more such things.

bigbarada
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, I'm a little late in catching up with the newest versions of this game, but I did pick up City Folk a couple weeks ago. In some ways, I still prefer the original Gamecube version, but there are a lot of aspects of CF that I think are huge improvements.

Major improvements in the Wii version of Animal Crossing:
1. Being able to wear different hats, helmets and various accessories on your head/face; along with different hairstyles.
2. Making "Pro" designs.
3. Redd's store is now open every week and his prices have dropped significantly.
4. Slingshot!
5. Blathers can now appraise fossils on the spot.
6. Emotions are awesome, I just wish you could have more than 4 at one time.
7. The "rolling log" effect has some positives (travel through the town is more smooth now, easier to catch fast moving bugs), but....

Stuff that I think is actually a step backwards compared to the Gamecube version:
1. The "rolling log" effect has some negatives as well - mainly the boundaries between acres are less obvious making it difficult to get the proper number of trees planted.
2. I really dislike how the grass wears away as you walk on it. In high traffic areas, you end up with giant patches of brown dirt and it looks ugly.
3. Some of the more anti-social animal personalities from the Gamecube game seem to have been toned down too much. Mainly the snobby-girl and grumpy-guy personalities.
4. Not a big fan of the autocensor when setting catchphrases, I think I should be allowed to have my animals cussing like sailors if I want them to (although I can understand the decision with the emphasis on online play).
5. The controls just feel slow and cumbersome.
6. Too much focus on multiplayer features at the expense of the single player experience for me. I loved how you could just buy a new memory card and create a new town on the GC version. If you want to run multiple towns on the Wii, you would have to buy a second Wii console. It should allow you to store a second town on an SD card (especially for those people who have no internet connection).

Anyways, I knew that there would be changes that I wouldn't be happy with, that happens with every game series. However, there are enough cool, new features in CF to keep me checking back everyday.

Some questions for those who have been playing City Folk for a while:
1. If I have a friend with a Wii, but they are not interested in this game, can I still go and create a town on their console (using my game disc) and visit that town even though they never play it? Or am I only allowed to visit their town while they are actually playing the game? Would it still require two copies of the game?

2. When transferring a file over from the DS version (when you are given that option at startup), exactly what all is transferred over? Would I still keep items in my inventory, catalog and house? Does that require a Wi-Fi connection?

Lord Malakite
03-24-2011, 03:05 AM
1. If I have a friend with a Wii, but they are not interested in this game, can I still go and create a town on their console (using my game disc) and visit that town even though they never play it? Or am I only allowed to visit their town while they are actually playing the game? Would it still require two copies of the game?
I haven't played City Folk bigb, but I did do a little bit of research on your questions. From what I have read it sounds like both players must own and be playing the City Folk game at the same time if you wish to visit another person's town directly via online (from your Wii to his Wii).

Before connecting to anyone on another Wii, you'll need a friend code. Remember that the Wii doesn't operate like many current gen systems: you can't just hook up to some random player in another country. First, you'll need an active connection to the WFC, which is beyond the scope of this guide (check out the game manuals or nintendo.com for more information).

Once you've got an active connection, you need to head to the town gate at the north edge of town. Talk to Copper (the dog on the right) and select the "Friend Code!" option. After your system connects to WFC, you'll get your friend code. Write it down if you wish, though you can talk to Copper anytime to hear it again. Note that if you ever completely rebuilt your town, you'll need to get a new friend code.

Now, you and your friend need to exchange friend codes. You can register your friend code from anywhere by going to the "Friend Roster" option in the menu. Once you and your friend both have each other's friend codes, it's time to visit!

If you are hosting a visitor, you need to go to Copper and select "Invite Friends." He'll open the town gate, and... that's all you gotta do. You can run around and continue to live life as normal, fishing or bug collecting or whatever. If you are visiting someone else, you need to tell Copper "I wanna go out!" Then, select "Nintendo WFC," and select your friend's town from the list. (Note: if he's already got several visitors, you may be unable to go for the time being.) Once Copper verifies the connection is good, he'll open the gate and let you out.

When you visit someone over WFC, you're more limited in your actions. You can't go to the city and you can't assist your friend with his museum collection directly. Of course, you could drop the items on the ground and let him pick them up, if you're doing some sort of trade that way. Still, you can play together and chat with either the in-game keyboard or the new Nintendo voice chat thingy... Either way, it sure beats playing alone!
There does seem to be a way to bypass this visitation problem though using only one City Folk disc and not requiring your friend to play. But to do so you'll need a DS and you would have to visit your friend in person and have him let you play on his Wii directly.

If your friend lives nearby and you're planning on visiting him in person, you can use the DS to temporarily hold your character's data. Make sure your battery is full before doing this, as it can be a bit of a drain. (In fact, you'll definitely want to take your DS power adapter with you!)

Okay, the first step is to power on your DS. Go to the system menu, then select "DS Download Play." This should open communication between the DS and Wii, and the DS will have a message that reads "Looking for software available for download..." The DS will wait at this screen for eternity, until you cancel it manually, so don't worry about things timing out on you.
Okay, now... on City Folk, take your character to Copper, the dog on the right at the town gate. Select "I wanna go out!," and then select "DS Suitcase." Confirm you want to go out, and the DS should present you with a suitcase icon after a few seconds. Press A on the DS to accept it, and the DS will download your character's data. Once done, your character will run through the gate on City Folk, and you'll be transferred to the title screen.

Now, you can use the DS to run around the other person's town. Close the DS but don't power it down; this way it's in sleep mode and you can save some battery power. Once you're at your friend's house, on his title screen, select "DS Suitcase." His Wii will then look for any DS signal. Open your DS, and select "Connect to Wii" from the menu. After communication, your character data will transfer to his Wii, and you can run around to visit at your leisure.

When you're ready to go home, just repeat the steps. Have your DS download your character data once your character is done. Keep the DS on in transit, and when you're back at your house, select "DS Suitcase" from the title menu. The DS will transfer your altered data, and your character will finally be back home. With that, you're good to go, and finally turn the DS off.

If at any point something messes up, note that you can play your character on City Folk without needing to transfer him back from the DS. However, if you do this, anything you got from your friend is obviously lost. Worse still, any item your Wii character was carrying when he initially went to the DS will be gone. His house will be safe, but if he had any money on him, it will be gone. Be careful, and be sure to move back from the DS to the Wii to make sure it doesn't happen!

2. When transferring a file over from the DS version (when you are given that option at startup), exactly what all is transferred over? Would I still keep items in my inventory, catalog and house? Does that require a Wi-Fi connection?

From the looks of it it sounds like when you begin a new character on City Folk using the DS transfer option that your DS character's name/gender/face is transferred to your City Folk character. It also sounds as if most of the purchasable items from your DS game's Nook catalog (what you can purchase from Nook's store by mail order) is also transferred to your City Folk's Nook catalog. Money and actual items in your DS character's inventory/town do not transfer to City Folk however. Your DS character's town/items should remain intact on the DS game itself. Also, a wireless internet connection is not required to connect the DS to the Wii.

1. Insert Animal Crossing: City Folk into the Wii and turn it on.

2. Start a new game. Rover will ask you if you want to create a new character or if you want to move a character from your DS.

3. Insert the Animal Crossing: Wild World cartridge into your DS and turn it on. Tell Rover you want to "Move from DS!"

4. Choose "DS Download Play" on your DS, and select the Moving Van. Choose the character you want to transfer.

5. Transfer the data. When the data is transferred, Rover will prompt you to register your character. Select "Yep!" and your character from Animal Crossing: Wild World will now be available for play as a character in Animal Crossing: City Folk.

bigbarada
03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info. That kind of stinks about the friend code thing. Now my wheels are turning to see how I can get around that. I bought the game used for $25, so purchasing another copy to give to a friend would cost another $25, which is about what this game would have cost me brand new. So that might be an option. The other option would be to rent a Wii for a night, create a new town and visit it; but that would probably only get me some foreign fruit and a few other items.

Does anyone else on here play this regularly enough that you would be willing to exchange friend codes?

bigbarada
11-21-2013, 09:39 PM
So, is anyone playing New Leaf on the 3DS? I bought it last week (I bought a 3DS for the sole purpose of playing this game) and I love it. Definitely the best version of Animal Crossing so far. There's so much new, awesome stuff to do in this game, that I haven't even been trying to find ways to cheat my way into finding new items.

Deep sea diving is my favorite new feature. It takes a little bit to get used to the control scheme (plus you need to buy a wet-suit), but once you get it down it feels totally natural. You can also get Pascal to visit you every single day by diving for scallops, making it really easy to get his special items and complete the Pirate Theme.

The permanent island is a welcome addition as well, as you're no longer locked into one season while playing the game. It's always summer on the island, so you can go there to catch summer bugs and fish during those long winter months. Plus, you can participate in "tours", which are really just mini games, that give you access to an almost infinite number of randomly generated islands. Which is a great way to get foreign fruit. The mini games do serve a purpose, though, since you get badges that you can trade in for items that are only available on the island (like a wet-suit).

I haven't done too much with the mayor thing yet, except build a couple of bridges and a park bench. But it's nice that you have so much control over the look of your town. You can also set ordinances that cause stores to open earlier or close later (great for those of us playing this game with day jobs). The game also gives you the ability to choose the layout of your town before you start playing.

The Streetpass feature is probably the biggest surprise of the game for me. So far, I've already exchanged Streetpass data with 4 people just from keeping the 3DS in the glove compartment of my car (in sleep mode) while I'm at work. If you do get Streetpass data from someone, then you can actually visit their home, in the HHA showcase, and order any furniture that they have in their house (as long as the furniture is order-able). This is an amazing feature especially if you just happen to Streetpass with somebody who has completed a furniture set that you're interested in.

Now instead of just having hats and one-piece outfits, you get hats, shirts, pants, socks and shoes. So there is so much more mixing and matching and customization options for your townie. Also you can change your hairstyle AND the color of your eyes (although I haven't unlocked that feature yet). You can even cross-dress and wear clothing designed for the opposite gender, if that kind of thing appeals to you (I think it's a feature you have to unlock, though).

There are now a total of 19 expansions you can get for your home, plus you can customize the outside of your house with different roofs, outdoor paneling, fences, doorways, pavements, and even your mailbox.

Even though I haven't taken the risk yet, you can actually open your town up to other players who can visit your town over the internet. From what I understand, any random person with an internet connection, who just happens to be playing at the time, can visit your town if you do this. Which is obviously a danger because they can do a lot of damage to your town; but you can terminate the connection pretty quickly if they start cutting down trees or tearing up your flower garden. This is all based on what I've read. Like I said, I haven't tried the feature yet.

The Dream Suite is another major new addition and this one allows you to actually visit another town in a "dream" and you can do whatever you want (even destroy stuff) and none of it really counts because it's just a "dream". This is another feature that I haven't unlocked yet. I don't know if there are any lasting benefits of the Dream Suite or if it just allows you to go buck-wild in someone else's town with no consequences.

There's so much more to talk about: the thrift shop (which is awesome if you're tired of selling your furniture items at 25% of their value), furniture customization, the ability to hang items on the wall (including KK Slider's songs - which appear as posters), the fortune cookies, 360 camera rotation inside houses, and the list goes on…. you can even catch a whale shark with a fishing rod! :D

If any of the longtime AC fans are still hesitant to get this game, I can assure you it is totally worth it. Even if you have to buy a 3DS (or 2DS) just to play it.

Speaking of the 2DS, the 3D feature in this game isn't utilized at all; so you won't be missing anything if you decide to go with the 2DS instead of the 3DS. The only reason I went with the 3DS XL was because of the larger screen size. I think I turned the 3D feature on once with this game, just so I could look around inside my house in 3D, but I turned it off after that and haven't used it since.

Lord Malakite
11-21-2013, 09:50 PM
So, is anyone playing New Leaf on the 3DS? I bought it last week (I bought a 3DS for the sole purpose of playing this game) and I love it. Definitely the best version of Animal Crossing so far. There's so much new, awesome stuff to do in this game, that I haven't even been trying to find ways to cheat my way into finding new items.
My sister bought a copy of New Leaf for the 3DS back when it came out. I don't think she has played it much though with all her college stuff currently going on.

bigbarada
11-25-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm actually surprised at how popular the game seems to be. Supposedly it's one of the best selling 3DS games in Japan, even outselling games like Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and even Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. In the US, it's behind many of the Mario franchise games, but it's still outselling the Pokemon franchise and 3D Zelda. No idea how the most recent Zelda game will change the rankings, but New Leaf is currently the 4th best-selling Nintendo 3DS game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_3DS_video_games

Hopefully, that means we'll be getting an even bigger version of the game on the Wii U pretty soon. Then I'd actually have an incentive to buy a Wii U.

Also, even though I live in a small farming town, with a population of about 4000, I've still managed to exchange Streetpass data with 6 other people playing this game just by keeping my 3DS in the car while going about my daily routine. I'm sure most of them are young kids, because most of the results I get are around fast food places like McDonalds or Dairy Queen (where I work right now). But, judging by the size of their houses, many of them appear to have been playing for several months now. So, it's definitely worth keeping Streetpass running at all times while playing this game.

Maybe I could get more results if I drove around schools and playgrounds… but, I could see that backfiring pretty quickly: "Honest, officer, I'm not a drug-dealer or a pedophile, I'm just trying to get Streetpass data for my Animal Crossing town." :sur:

Lord Malakite
03-30-2014, 12:35 AM
Just a heads up. On May 20, 2014 Nintendo is going to permanently discontinue the Wi-Fi Connection service for the original Nintendo DS and original Wii. This means that online functions will no longer work for any of those systems' games (even if they are played on a 3DS or Wii U). This includes Animal Crossing: Wild World (for the original DS) and Animal Crossing: City Folk (for the original Wii). So if anybody is still playing those and have any town travelling left to do in either game or certain "online exclusive" and/or "foreign country exclusive" items you need to track down for the Wii game you don't have much time left to do so. Discontinuation of the Wi-Fi Connection service will have no effect on being able to purchase/download from eShop/DSiWare/WiiWare/Virtual Console via online.