PDA

View Full Version : 12" vs 3 3/4"?

Jaff
01-03-2003, 01:34 AM
I collect every 12 and 3 3/4, and some days I can't decide which I like better. Zuckuss, and Lando 12" just stun me every time I look at them. Then there is the 3 3/4 FX-7, Ephant, and Palpatine figs. The playability and diaroma opportunities for 3 scale is limitless, but the 12" detail is glorious. So hypothetically if you had to part with one of these two formats which would you pick 12 or 3 3/4? I want to say 12" (speeder bike and scout!!!), but my heart says 3 3/4". I have no intention of quiting either, I'm just wondering what your opinions are, right, wrong or profane! Sith opinions welcome!

stillakid
01-03-2003, 01:58 AM
In my opinion, the only 12" figure ever made that even remotely looked accurate was the Scout Trooper on his Speeder Bike. The rest had heads too big for their bodies and equally terrible clothing. A scant few of the aliens looked sort of okay, but on the whole the look of that line turned me off completely.

1 vote for 4".

2-1B
01-03-2003, 02:38 AM
I vote for 4" as well. :)

I've found I can do just as much with 4" as other collectors do with 12" ;)

Playability is DEFINATELY a big issue . . . there's usually so much more you can do with 4", while the 12" can sometimes be just too big and clumsy, taking up wayyy too much space. :)

jjreason
01-03-2003, 04:55 AM
Yep. Space is an issue for me, and Im happier looking at a crowd of 50 or 60 little figues, and one cool ship than I am at 6 or 7 12 inch figs. I did love my Luke with Wampa and Han with Tauntaun sets a lot, they looked amazing, but when the finances started shrieking for help I had no qualms ditching the 12 inch stuff. My heart's always been with the small figures.

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 08:02 AM
I too would go with 4".

BTW, I'm copying this thread to the 12" section.

Exhaust Port
01-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Booooo, 12" all the way.

Darth Cruel
01-03-2003, 12:16 PM
I just don't know. I would have to say that I would keep the 12" simply because we get fewer rehashes, and the detail is better (not perfect, just better). The articulation is better (no where near perfect, just better), and they are much easier to see in a display from across the room.

Now, on the other hand, if Hasbro would improve the 4" line, I might change my mind.

mini-rock
01-03-2003, 03:08 PM
12" or 3-3/4"?

Been there done that. I gave up my 3-3/4" figures a long time ago. I think it takes alot more dedication to collect the 3-3/4" line since there are obviously more figures, but like J, and DC said the detail is better. And of course b/c they are bigger.

SIZE DOES MATTER!!:D

sith_killer_99
01-03-2003, 06:24 PM
IMHO, the best 12 inch Star Wars figures are made by Marmit!

With that said, I do prefer the 3.75 inch line. I don't really like Hasbro's 12 inch line, with the exception of their droids and a couple of the non-human Bounty Hunters (IG-88, Zuckuss, 4-LOM).

JediDBM
01-16-2003, 06:46 PM
4" are the best, but I am starting to see an interest in the 12". Only because I have got to get something new, and it isn't happening waiting on Hasbro to release new 4" figures.

Wookieboy
01-25-2003, 03:40 AM
My vote, I like them both. They both have their own unique qualities to them. The 4" have the versitility with playsets, ships, and diorama posibilities, while the 12" just look freaking cool displayed all together on a shelf. Yeah, there are the rehashes of old figures just changed slightly to appear "new", but heck, if I see another rehash version of Han Solo from classic Wars, I might turn to the darkside. I can't wait until 2006, the Star Wars movies will have come and gone, and hasbro will have to think of new ideas to keep us collectors still buying their products. There are so many things they could make that it boggles the mind. Perhaps someday in a far off distant planet, Hasbro would have made everything that our little collector's hearts could ever imagine. Always remember, it could be worse. Just look how horribly the Batman action figures have been handled. How many freaking Batman variations are there? Holy Bat turds Batman!!!

carnifexold1eye
01-25-2003, 12:29 PM
I like the 3 3/4 inch simply becasue of cost. I do however collect both, but it really depends on the figure. I couldn't see spending 20 dollars on the Zam.

bobafrett
01-26-2003, 10:32 PM
I have bought what I can, when I can of both the 4" and the 12" figures. I see good and bad in both lines. I loved the 12" Darth Maul, and the TaunTauns with Luke and Han. If I were trying to build an army of 12" stormtroopers, it would wipe me out financially, not to mention the amount of space it might take up. The 4" figures come in much better for that purpose. :D

Jaff
02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
True the costs for 12" are up there, but since the Saga line has been released there is one thing you can count on with the 12". Neutral poses!!! God help us if they put action features on the 12".

humsup
02-17-2003, 12:04 AM
I would keep 12" with the same reasons as Darth Cruel.