PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Disc Read Error

Rogue II
01-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Help! I was playing my PS2 the other night and it locked up on me. I restarted it and no matter what disc I put in there, I got a disc read error. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

I can still access my memory cards.

mrmiller
01-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Oh no! Might be a CD drive going out. First try and clean your CD drive. You can buy a lens cleaner set anywhere. Hopefully that will work. If not- better box that bad boy up and exchange it somewhere that's still doing all the Christmas returns ;)

=MATT=

Rogue II
01-03-2003, 11:42 AM
I've had the PS2 for over a year and a half, so the box is long gone. I'll try cleaning it again tonight. If that doesn't work I have to get it repaired, any ideas who might do it?

QLD
01-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I learned a long time ago to keep all of my game system boxes. Plus it's great to have when you move!

Anyway....you could always buy a new one, at Wal-Mart or somewhere, and swap out the deck. But I didn't just say that.

Lord Malakite
01-03-2003, 01:45 PM
You could also try the following site.

www.videogamerepair.com

mrmiller
01-03-2003, 01:59 PM
The bad news is, with the cost of repair (about $100) and shipping, it's almost better to just buy a new one. :(

=MATT=

Rogue II
01-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Wow, that's more money to fix it than I thought:

If it is the "laser eye" it would be $120 + Shipping.

Is there a big difference between different versions of the PS2?

Lord Malakite
01-03-2003, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't think that there would be that much of a difference between different versions the PS2, unless you are comparing imports from other countries.

Dar' Argol
01-06-2003, 01:56 AM
The other thing to do is go under Version and try the self Diognostics.

Rouge II, on the back of you PS2, what's the model # It should be SCPH-30001 or SCPH-30001R.

Rogue II
01-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Well, I bought a can of air and now my PS2 is working again.:D

I have a SCPH-30001.

I changed the Diagnostic to "on" but nothing happened. Did I miss something?

Under Playstation Driver, there is Disc Speed and Texture Mapping both are set for Standard. What are they for?

Lord Malakite
01-07-2003, 01:28 AM
The System Diagnostic feature of the Playstation 2 will automatically configure your PS2 to be able to play DVDs on your TV.

The Playstation 2 can play original Playstation games too. You can experiment on texture smoothing to enhance the graphics by using the texture mapping option. But some games will slow down when textures are smoothened. The other option, disc speed, will change the CD read speed. You can actually increase the speed in reading PS games, therefore minimizing load times as you experienced in the PS console. The catch is that some games won’t work if the Speed is increased. Choose Standard for both if you want to play the game normally.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Mine had NEVER done anything like this, but i bought "Signs" and tried to watch it and last night, it was fine, but today, it keeps saying error and won't boot it. crap!! :D

mrmiller
01-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Have you tried other disks- both DVD's and Games? Maybe your disk was scratched or something.

=MATT=

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Hey bust this y'all: I called the Sony of America consumer hotline thing and tried to get some support over the phone. I told the guy what my problem was (it won't read certain DVD's and takes longer to read games now) and he gave me some basic steps to troubleshoot it. I gave him some basic info, like serial and model numbers and after a while, nothing was fixed yet. So, he gave me the address to send it to, as well as what i have to send with it and stuff, and since he couldn't give me help over the phone, they were going to fix it free of charge!!! I asked him if i was guaranteed my own system back, that they wouldn't do a swap and he said i'd get my own. rock the casbah!! :D

Bobajames
01-12-2003, 03:08 PM
my ps2 was doin the same thing but i called sony and they said that since the thing gave me the message "disc read error" she was authorized to waive the repair fee. sounds good to me! :)

Rogue II
01-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Ok, now my PS2 won't read games with blue backs, but games with silver backs work. Any advice on this?

LTBasker
01-16-2003, 06:18 PM
I had this type of error for DVDs a few nights ago. My sister was trying out the VHS/DVD player she got for Christmas, and so we watched a few DVDs on that, and played games on the PS2 (of course) but after the VHS/DVD player was taken out and the DVD wouldn't work on the PS2 with a disc read error. No matter what DVD we tried it wouldn't work, but after I played a game of Bounty Hunter, the DVD worked fine with not even a glitch! :)

Pretty weird, though I'm glad it works.

DARTH PECKER
01-20-2003, 12:22 AM
call sony at 1-800-345sony for customer support..... they will take info for and give you an address to mail you ps2 they will fix it free of charge.:crazed: :cry: :dead: :kiss: :greedy: :stupid: :happy: :zzz: :sur: :evil: :eek: :confused: :frus: :p ;) :D :) :( :o

Rogue II
01-20-2003, 12:30 AM
Thanks.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to adjust the voltage to the CD reader, but I can't figure out how to do it. I may as well call Sony.

Trip J
01-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Don't send it in to Sony! The DRE (disk read error) is a very common problem with the older PS-2s (SCPH-30001 ). Though Sony denies this, but enough users have experienced it to lead me to believe that it is true. Save yourself the time and money (not to mention being deprived of your PS2 while the geniuses at Sony fix it!) and do it yourself!

GameFaqs has an excellent FAQ on cleaning the laser and adjusting the voltage to fix the problem. I have done both myself, and the problem was fixed easily.

The only thing is that it will involve opening up your machine, which will invalidate your warranty (which is only 90 days anyway).

Anyway, here is the link to GameFaqs (PS2 Hardware):

GameFaqs (http://www.gamefaqs.com)

Click on PS2 at the top of the page, then on PS2 Hardware FAQs. There you'll find all of the PS2 Disk Read Error Faq.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Rogue II
01-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks. I've had the system for a year and a half so I figured the warranty was already gone. I opened the system and cleaned it and now it plays DVD games. I read the FAQ on adjusting the voltage, and it made me a little nervous. I haven't called Sony, yet. I will probably look at that guide again about adjusting the voltage. If I don't think I can do it, I'll call Sony and see what they say.

My wife is ticked off because she bought The Sims for PS2 and can't play it because it is a CD based game.

Trip J
01-21-2003, 09:33 AM
I completely understand being a bit nervous about opening up your PS2.

I hope you get it working again!

Rogue II
01-28-2003, 09:36 AM
A funny thing happened...

I've been putting off messing with the PS2 again. Well, my wife was bored, so she thought she'd try putting The Sims in the PS2 again. Sure enough, the dang thing worked. I don't know why, or how the PS2 magically cured itself, but now it runs all games.

Trip J
01-28-2003, 12:59 PM
That IS goofy. I've had it happen where if i change the way my PS2 sits (horizontal or vertical) it may fix the problem. Never tried just letting it sit for a few days.

At any rate, glad to hear yuo're back in business.

LTBasker
03-02-2003, 05:36 PM
*Sigh* Now I'm getting the error again. It was playing DVDs fine there for awhile, no flaws, but then I had some trouble with some scratched discs from BlockBuster (thanks alot for checking your merchandise, schmucks!) and ever since I tried to play a scratched disc (I didn't know it was scratched, I figured since I was renting it from a famous store such as Block Buster, they did checks on their items when they were returned, and considering this thing had a GASH in it and not just a scratch..) it won't play DVDs. I can play DVD features from games such as Bounty Hunter, but I can't play a DVD. I've tried to go over the different graphics and speed running options but they didn't help.

Do you think a lens cleaner thing will help or something?...

QLD
03-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Not sure what to do, but I can assure you, having been a employee at BB, once the game or movie is rented twice, it will be scratched to hell, and no, most employees don't look at it. Oh, and after being rented twice, do not expect an instruction book either.

Teeska Mon Eebon
03-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Same thing the DRE has happened to everyone I know who has Demolition and I found out that having your playstation standing verticle that it will start to srew it up that is why they discontinued the stand and stuf everyone I know (again) who has had their PS2 verticle has started messing up but all mine did was get extremely slow in gameplay and loading

Trip J
03-04-2003, 08:53 AM
You can try using a commercial lens cleaner, but they best way to do it is to open the case and clean the lens yourself with some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. That will take care of about 90% of DREs. I posted a link to Gamefaqs earlier with detailed instructions what to do.

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Trip J
You can try using a commercial lens cleaner, but they best way to do it is to open the case and clean the lens yourself with some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. That will take care of about 90% of DREs. I posted a link to Gamefaqs earlier with detailed instructions what to do. Do not use rubbing alcohol or q-tips on your laser lens. This is a massive mistake that people have been making with VCRs for years, I'm sorry to see it's passing over to the DVD side. The problem with rubbing alcohol is that it's not pure enough, when the alcohol evaporates, it leaves behind all the other crap which sticks to the lens building other stuff up on this crap or sometimes even eats the lens depending on what brand of alcohol you use. The q-tip is unwise because the cotton fibers are far too rough and scratchy on your lens and can come off and get into other systems. Less harsh materials include chamois swabs and pure alcohol (it evaporates fully leaving no additives behind) - though the alcohol may be strong enough to melt plastic housings and eat up small gears and their lubricants so be super careful.