PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Insider / Membership Kit ?!?!?

bobafett07728
01-03-2003, 01:09 PM
I wasn't sure where to place this thread, so I guess this was the best place. Has anyone recieved the newest Star Wars Insider? The last one I recieved was with Fett on the cover, and the first issue of Bantha Tracks. I am concerned as to if the Fan Club is once again giving me the "screwgie." I renewed my membership (2 Years w/subscription) in August of 2002. As we all know soon after, the fan club changed hands. Months passed, and I did not recieve any membership kits, or any Insiders. The only one I had recieved up until now was the Fett issue. I placed a call to them before recieving that issue, asking them when my membership / subscription actually began. They assured me it didn't begin 8/02, but it begins with my first Insider. OK, that was what I wanted to hear. . . I didn't want to be paying for a membership that wasn't doing anything. . . although only time will tell if that is actualy the case. Also, when I renewed my membership I was promised numerous things, one of which being a $10 certificate for the Jawa Trader. Now I had planned on using this towards a Carbon Chamber, or Signed Episode I Novel. . . but ended up ordering it without because I really wanted them. Of course. . . that certificate would be useless now, but I'm still a little peeved I didn't recieve it, or anything else I was supposed to. Now. . . I recently checked out the new Fan Club owner's site, and they speak of the new Insider, and membership kits being shipped in Decmeber. Hmmmmm. . . now I never recieved this new Insider yet, and I NEVER recieved a membership kit. I would imagine that I would be getting this kit, but who knows? The site says that anyone who purchased a multiple year membership before the fan club changed hands (that would be me) would be revieving the membership kit, and all others would reciev it when they renewed their current membership. I know I wasn't in the running for any of the TIE minis, so I wasn't expecting that, but I have been waiting for some type of "welcome back to the Fan Club" membership kit since 8/02. . . and all i have recieved was one issue of the Insider. Before I go and contact these guys again, I wanted to see if there was anyone else out ther in my boat, and get some suggestions from all the knowledged forumites. Thanks to everyone who reads, and responds.

Vortex
01-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Wish I could help, but I've never gotten a membership kit, and I've renewed before their listed date and I've never gotten any kit, pen, keychain, package of whatever.

The other thing that gets me, is this double warning they just sent me. I renewed my subscription the last part of nov. Check cleared the bank, so I think good...all taken care of...then I get another notice in the mail yesterday asking me to renew, at a slightly higher price. Glitch, or trying to soak me? There was a wood workers mag that pulled the same thing. Check cleared but were always sending me warnings about this is your last issue...needless to say I dropped the mag.

I don't think they have the bugs worked out of the system yet. If nothing more call them. But I've never gotten what they promise.

Even when I order things from them and you get a free gift...I get shorted.

I ordered 2 toy fair vaders from them and I was entitled to get a free episode I figure, but when the vaders arrived...nothing more, no free figure, but ody mandrel was listed on the packing slip. So I called, and got a run around and the gal on the other end said they cancelled that and I should have gotten a notification the offer was no longer good. So I asked why its listed on the invoice, yet she didn't have a reason.

But in any case good luck with that. I hope you have better luck than I do.

bobafett07728
01-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Hmmmm. . . Thanks, looks like I'll be giving them another call. At least you are getting notices in the mail though. . . I get nothing!

Vortex
01-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Yea too bad the notices are just the good old renew before this date and save...

El Chuxter
01-03-2003, 01:41 PM
I mentioned this under the Comics and Books forum, but here's the gist of my long, sad story. :)

I got a notification toward the beginning of November and sent a check to Paizo. It's based in Escondido, CA, which is less than two hours from where I live in Redlands. A month later, the check hadn't cleared the bank, and I was pretty worried (normally mail going to Escondido arrives in no more than two or three days).

So I called up just before Christmas to ask about it. I explained the situation, and the lady told me to fax a copy of the cleared check and it would be taken care of. (Obviously she wasn't listening.) I explained again that it was the fact that the check hadn't cleared that got me concerned. She pulled up my account information and told me that it hadn't been received yet. She then told me that mail around the holidays is slower and I should check back after Christmas, since they're very busy. (I kind of got the impression from the way she said it that it translated as, "We're really behind. We probably haven't gotten around to it yet.")

A couple of days later, I call the bank to check my balance and the phantom check has cleared. One less thing to worry about. The day after that, I get a second notice from the Insider in the mail. I figure it was sent out before my membership was credited, but call anyway just to make sure.

I'm immediately put on hold for about three minutes, and a lady comes on the line. She pulls up my account and tells me (and I still don't understand this one bit) that the payment isn't posted on my membership, but there's a note that a check was received and deposited. She explains it's a glitch in their system and they've gotten lots of calls about it, but no reason to worry.

Meanwhile, I can't help but wonder if I'll receive the new Insider. Hopefully I don't have any more problems, since I'm about fed up with dealing with Paizo already. As for the membership kit, I'm not too concerned about it. I figure there's a 50/50 chance at best that they'll even produce them.

bobafett07728
01-03-2003, 01:48 PM
What phone number are you using. . . I have this number:

(425) 289 - 0060

Is there a toll free number I can use?

Vortex
01-03-2003, 01:50 PM
YEA I'm not the only one getting lost in the shuffle!

El Chuxter
01-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by bobafett07728
Is there a toll free number I can use?

Yes, but unfortunately I'm at work and don't have it. :( It appears in all the legal small type on the table of contents page in the Paizo Insiders. (I think the Fett cover is one of Paizo's.) It's under (I think) a heading called "Subscriptions" or "To Subscribe."

Dr Zoltar
01-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Yep, me as well. I ordered the member kit on-line on 12/26 but I don't think the charge has gone through on my credit card yet. The last Star Wars Insider I received was issue 64 -- That's the one with Boba Fett on the cover. I too received two renewal notices -- one in November and one just a few days ago. But the price was $28.50 on both of them.

As for the (425) 289 - 0060 phone number, that is a Seattle surrounding area phone number. Which leads me to believe that it's a Hasbro/WOTC customer service line.

Dr Zoltar
01-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Nope, I'm wrong. The 425 number is for the Paizo office in Bellevue, WA. Just east of the lake separating Seattle and Bellevue. Looks like they have some emails for contact if that helps.

Vortex
01-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
But the price was $28.50 on both of them.

Huh...I wrote my check for 28.95. I still have the stub in my work bag too. I'd have to check the mailing I just got, but I thought it was 29 something...

Dr Zoltar
01-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Here's the contact info for Subscriptions:

(800) 692-3836
swinsider@pcspublink.com

I keep my issues at work so my co-workers can read them. :D

InsaneJediGirl
01-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Wow I thought I was the only one who had problems!I have not recieved the new insider or my memebership kit,although back in early December I got an email that the kit was "on its way":rolleyes:

Heres where the problems all started-

My parents sent a check for a 1-year subscription to the Insider(When WOTC was in control)as a X-Mas gift(X-Mas of 2001).Three months later I still hear nothing and finally just had my check sent back.

Flash to 4-5 Months ago-

My parents and I decided to give this another try,and the Insider was already under management by Piazo.Anyways..we send out a check again,hear nothing for a month.After calling them at least 6 times and threating a contact from my parents lawyer,I finally got Issue #64.

Are they brainless?How hard is it to slap an Insider in a plastic bag,put my address on it and send it to me?!?!?!:crazed::crazed::crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-04-2003, 06:30 PM
I got the newest one yesterday (65 I think . . . with Vader on the cover and Leia on the flipside) but no sign of the kit. Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is.:eek:

Ji'dai
01-04-2003, 08:58 PM
I just renewed my subscription online a couple of days ago and used their promotional sign-up where you get a LEGO mini TIE.
The confirmation email said I would get my mini TIE in a few weeks and my next issue would be #66. Their website also said that the membership kit will be available in early '03. Who knows if I'll get either promo.

I did get issue #65 yesterday though.

Dr Zoltar
01-05-2003, 12:27 AM
Wow! I didn't even see the link to renew my subscription with the new mini lego tie fighter. I wonder if they will send me one anyway.

bobafett07728
01-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I'll be giving them a call in the next few minutes. I will let you all know what they have to say, being that a lot of you are in the same boat I am. Hopefully we can figure out this puzzle.

bobafett07728
01-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Dammit!!!! I continually get a message to call back at a later time. It appears that a great many people are complaining to them at this time. I guess my gripes will have to wait until later on today. I will surely keep you all posted though.

JediDBM
01-06-2003, 02:43 PM
This is all alarming news to somebody who is getting ready to join, but not a member yet. Does anybody have a posiitive experience to share? To convince me this is not a mistake...

Vortex
01-06-2003, 02:58 PM
nothing overly positive...

The only benifit you get is you can order stuff on line earlier and at a buck or two less than non-members, and get 1st shot at other star wars merchandise, but other than that...

there's nothing special about it. Sometimes I feel I'd be better off just buying it when I pick up my comics...but it would cost me a few bucks more but I wouldn't have deal with the renewal junk.

bobafett07728
01-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Finnally got through. . . they claimed that my new issue was in transit, and was probobly being held up due to the holiday season. Weak excuse. As far as the membership kit is concerned. . . they claim that their subscription year starts in April / May, therefore all membership kits will be sent out then for new members (or members who have more than a one-year subscription). That may explain why some of you have been getting renewal slips in the mail. Just at thought. I will say that the person on the other line was extremely flustered when I asked questions. I will believe everything when I see it though. Hopefully I will recieve my new issue shortly, and just keep my fingers crossed about the membership kit.

As far as if it is worthwhile to join. . . I agree with all that tjovonovich stated in his post. Yeah. . . you get "exclusive" stuff earlier, and for a few bucks less. The magazine is cool, but most of the information is old by the time you get them mag. . . especially if you are in these forums. Back before Wizards of the Coast ran the club, I used to have no gripes about it. Everything seemed to go as planned, or better. It all seemed to go downhill right around the time that the club switched ownership to WOTC. I am still clinging to the hope that the club will return to the good ol' days. . . but only time will tell. JediDBM. . . if you join the club just prepare yourself for some possible grief. If you go in thinking it will be perfect. . . you'll be dissapopinted. Also, not everyone has problems with the fan club. . . there are a lot of forumites here who I'm sure have never had any problems. Your experience may be the opposite of what I have had so far. If you do join, good luck. . . and welcome to the club.

stillakid
01-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Just plucked it out of the mail this afternoon!

Contents:

1 welcome letter from Lisa Stevens
1 letter from George Lucas
1 patch that says "Bantha Tracks" with a picture of a Bantha and Sandperson
1 membership card (hard plastic like a credit card)
3 post cards (Kamino, Coruscant, Geonosis)
1 sticker sheet (4 stickers: Dexter's Diner, Boota Eve Classic, Outlander Club, Han Solo with sayings)
1 Mini-Standee cardboard kit

I also received the newest Insider at the same time (Feb. 2003, #065 Darth Vader on cover)

bobafett07728
01-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Hmmmm. . . sounds cool. Still waiting for mine.

I guess that proves that the April / May statement they gave me was nonsense. . . hmmmmm.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-09-2003, 06:56 PM
You are quite lucky, stillakid. BTW, did the Kit come in the same bag as the new Insider? I got my Insider with Galactic Map recently, but no Membership Kit. :(

stillakid
01-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
You are quite lucky, stillakid. BTW, did the Kit come in the same bag as the new Insider? I got my Insider with Galactic Map recently, but no Membership Kit. :(

No, just same day. I don't know if was just a coincidence or what. But it felt like the good old days. I have a membership card again! Now I'm officially a fan. :rolleyes:

bobafett07728
01-10-2003, 10:51 AM
I think this whole situation is more confusion than who erased Kamino from the archive memory.

Yoda will have to meditate on this I think.

QLD
01-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Hmm.....with all of that stuff....how can I continue to pass :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Well, I got my Membership Kit today. It's cool, except for the fact that my mail carrier bent the envelope, which in turn dented every piece inside of it. :frus: :mad: I especially like the written personally to me letter from George Lucas. ;)

Darth Sidious
01-11-2003, 06:54 PM
I got mine today, it's pretty cool. :) Of course, it would be better if they sent us Jorg Saculs and Toyfair Vaders, but hey, it's not a bad little kit.

bobafett07728
01-13-2003, 10:40 AM
I have still recieved nothing. I think Paizo will be recieveing another call. At this rate newstands will get this sissue before I do. I am SOOOOOO glad I got myself a two-year membership.

TK924
01-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Got mine today too! :D

Neat stuff, but they could have added a little more, don't you think? I'm not sure what, but something more.
Anyways, I like what's there.

DarkArtist
01-14-2003, 03:29 PM
:confused: :confused:
Just recieved my membership kit in the mail today but no Mini lego TIE. I thought these were to be sent out with the kit to all members who renewed and still had a membership at this time?

I want my mini lego Tie. Haven't seen any of the sets anywhere here in Jersey and refuse to pay scalper prices. One store wanted $50 for the Slave 1 and Jedi Starfighter set. :frus: :frus: :frus:

dr_evazan22
01-14-2003, 06:58 PM
I received my kit today as well. I thought it was pretty cool! I like the post cards, they'll make a good addition to my 'frig. Also included were some stickers, and a small punch out display featuring Obi, Ani and Yoda. The only real disappointment for me was that the membership card doesn't say I'm a Jedi Knight, but a "member of the SW galaxy of fans."

Overall, it's a lot better than WotC where you had to buy a seperate FC membership in addition to the Insider (and yeah, I know that Paizo is part of WotC, but it's still better).

bobafett07728
01-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Well. . . I recieved my issue of Star Wars Insider yesterday. While I was happy to recieve the mag, and I enjoyed the history of Star Wars video games, I am still disappointed in how long it took. Oh well, due to the change in ownership delays are expected. However, I did not recieve a membership, so that is still a mystery. Hopefully I will recieve it shortly. I will keep you all updated on the situation.

Ji'dai
02-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Received my free LEGO Mini TIE Fighter today from the Fan Club. The small polybag set came in a yellow padded envelope.

I renewed my subscription online around the first of the year and used the LEGO promo link on their website. I'm surprised that I actually got one.

Still, I have yet to see the membership kit that was promised for all new and renewing subscribers. But hope remains...

Fulit
02-08-2003, 07:03 PM
I haven't recieved an issue in about 3 months, and I called them to make sure my subscription renewal went through, and they said they were "backlogged." That was about a month ago, and I still haven't gotten an issue.

Ji'dai
02-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Received the Membership Kit today. No secret decoder ring though, which is just as well. I don't need a reminder to drink my Ovaltine.

Mmm... Ovaltine...

scruffziller
02-20-2003, 07:27 AM
All I receieved when I signed up was letter from GL.
I am not renewing. I get all the SW info I need right here on SSG.