PDA

View Full Version : It's time for a good figure of YODA!

Tycho
01-03-2003, 03:13 PM
I just finished setting up a display case with 4 scenes from AOTC:

Dooku shooting lightning at Yoda (I used the lightning Yoda comes with).

Dooku and Yoda fighting with lightsabers.

The Deluxe Crane and some of Padme's Arena collumns falling on Obi-Wan and a one-arm-less Anakin while Dooku escapes Yoda.

and finally, Yoda witness to a distressed Padme running straight to wounded Anakin in the aftermath. (I used those clear rubber bands to hold Padme's arm down!)

But it occrured to me that all my scenes looked good - save for one figure: YODA!

I'm using the Carded Saga, 1 Deluxe, and even 1 Flashback, in my scenes. The FB looks about the best - but the others don't even look like they're from the same product line as Dooky, Obi-Wan, and Anakin.

I'm talking about Yoda's head detail, and his outfit and molded accessories.

The vintage had a cloth Jedi robe, a removeable belt, (an orange snake :rolleyes: ) , a properly colored brown walking stick, and 2 poseable legs!

It took Hasbro 3 years in their modern collection just to make a Jawa with 2 legs... They've had 6 years to get Yoda right!

Who here wants to see a definitive Yoda figure?

*I hate resculpts, but this is ridiculous!

Beast
01-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Well, we have atleast 2 Yoda's on the way for next year. I'm sure both of them of them will be good. I'm doubting that we'll get soft goods, but you never can tell. The vintage figure was pretty nice, but most of the modern versions of Yoda are superior. Hopefully we'll see pictures of the Yoda w/ Youngling 2-pack soon. Since it's from a exposition scene, he will be neutrally posed atleast. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
01-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Since they haven't made a good Yoda since 1980, I don't even want them to keep trying. They refuse to do him right, so they should just STOP!
The vintage Yoda will be good enough for me. :)

Prince Xizor
01-03-2003, 03:32 PM
I don't know, I kinda think that the first Yoda from the Saga line is pretty good. He is an action-scene specific figure, but I still like it.

Beast
01-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Here's a thread where we discussed the best Yoda sculpt from a while back. And a link to the comparison pictures of Yoda thru the years. Like I said in the thread, the only complaint I have with the comparison pictures is that they used the dark green Saga Yoda. But the 1999 FB Yoda and the two Saga ones, are still superior to the goofy smiling vintage version. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11988

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=133272

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-03-2003, 04:17 PM
With legs. a soft plastic lower inner robe with legs underneath or better yet soft goods lower inner robe with legs underneath. I'm fairly happy with the head sculpt of the saga Yoda but I want a Yoda with little legs. They did it for the Jawa and they can manage tiny little legs on salacious so they can do Yoda no sweat if they try a bit harder.

187-Maul
01-03-2003, 07:05 PM
I definitly want a new AOTC yoda too, preferable 2
one in a normal standing pose with his cane (hopefully the yoda with apprentice will look cool so that we don't need him then anymore)
and one from the ligthsaber duel (yes, another one) that can finally hold his lightsaber in TWO friggin hands, like he did in the movie

then I would be pleased:)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2003, 09:43 PM
What amazes me is how Hasbro has yet to make a Yoda with the right feet (let's worry about legs later). On all the figures from 1995 - 1999, he had 3, count 'em, 3, toes on each foot. On the first two Saga Yodas, he has 5 (3 in front, 1 on each side). On the new Council one, he has 3 (obviously because it is from the 1999 mold). Have the Hasbro people never watched The Empire Strikes Back? It's clear he has 3 toes in front with another toe-like thing in the back. So he has 4 things sticking out of each foot, not 3, not 5, but 4. C'MON HASBRO!!!

Jaff
01-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Holy crap jabba john what a revolation. I looked at my flashback yoda from 98 and he had 3 toes. Then the new super stance yoda and he had 5 toes. And I thought that new figure couldn't be any worse.

Adam
01-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Since it's from a exposition scene, he will be neutrally posed atleast. :)

I don't know about that.. wedding Anakin isn't exactly neutrally posed..

Beast
01-05-2003, 12:41 AM
How isn't he? The arms do go down you know, that's what he has articulation for. Just because all we've seen is him with both arms raised, doesn't mean they're locked in place. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

187-Maul
01-05-2003, 09:35 AM
yeah he can put his arms down but according to the pic we have seen you can't really put him in a neutral pose like for example POTF2 luke jedi

Rogue II
01-05-2003, 10:36 AM
I'd like a definitive ESB/ROTJ Yoda that has Real legs, soft robe, and artuculated arms so he can rest on his cane with both hands. They could pack in some cool accessories....bed/blanket, pot/fire, iguanna, orange snake....something like that, but the sculpt is more important.

fourtwo
01-05-2003, 12:07 PM
i could really see them sticking the same yoda in that 2 pack just cause thats how things seem to go latley.

Beast
01-05-2003, 12:56 PM
It will be a new Yoda sculpt, they have had the time to actually sculpt one up. The only reason that they rushed out that rehashed one in 2002, was because they hadn't expected Yoda to be as popular as he was. But the kids were still clamoring for more Yoda, and they threw that one together to get it out there to please the kiddies. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jpak001
01-05-2003, 01:13 PM
I would like a Yoda w/soft goods & legs too, that would be nice!

Although out of all that have come before I think the "spirit" yoda has the best looking sculpt. It would be cool to have that in a colored version, I wouldn't mind if Hasbro released that also.

Has anyone here ever tried to paint one of these ?

Beast
01-05-2003, 01:27 PM
I think I saw a custom once where the painted the spirit figure up. It actually looked pretty good. Because he has his hands clasped infront of him he's perfect for ESB scenes where he's leaning with both hands on his cane.

If they do a new Luke: Dagobah in a few years, they should include a soft goods backpack and that Yoda molded in full color. Hmm, I may have to buy a Jedi Spirits Cinema Scene next time I hit KB, so that I can paint one up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-05-2003, 02:40 PM
They still have Jedi Cinema Scenes at your Kay-Bee??? How much are they? Perhaps we could work out a deal . . .

JediDBM
01-05-2003, 04:45 PM
I think Kenner did great on the clothing and uniforms of some of the vintage figures, but the overall details of the 1990s figures, WOW, there really is no comparison, but I must say, Kenner did make the best Yoda, Hasbro cut corners (I think) on the smaller figures. Leaving out minor details, like seperate, moveable legs, poses where the figure can actually stand up, (I.E. the Genosian warrior) hands that can actually hold the weapon that has been given to them, and I think the biggest thing Hasbro has left out is some kind of a stand for their figures, especially the ones that dont stand very well on their own. Sorry if I got too far away from original topic everybody, the vintage Yoda is still the best, and maybe Hasbro should go back, study the original and decide how they can improve what they have now.

Princess_Leila
01-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Look at him when he is flying in the gunship. You can clearly see the two separate legs. He is not wearing some inner robe like the figure depicts, but really pants. The vinatge figure was more accurate in that respect (well maybe he wasn't wearing pants in Empire...).

Give me my E2 Yoda with two handed lightsaber grip and PANTS!

Jargo
01-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Cullottes like girls wear. or perhaps his attire was based on Eastern attire like the Raj palace princes used to wear, y'know thief of Baghdad and all that? I think giving yoda legs that work independently of each other 9is a small thing to ask considering he never comes with much in the way of accessories. The basic AOTC Yoda had that brown thingy but what the hell was that?!!! a piece of crud that's what. Yoda should have working legs and come with his hover pod and his cane and lightsaber. his outer robe should be soft goods like the vintage one but in that thin flimsy fabric like they used on the soft goods Maul had. The head on the AOTC Yoda is fine for me, can't see much improvement on that needed. Even if they made his outer robe plastic having legs would mean you could pose him more upright instead of all hunched over so you can't see his face like they already did twice. Give him movement in his neck that allows him to look up and ball jointed shoulders that aren't impeded by his body or his robe. It's just a tiny figure but he's such an important character he should be given some special treatment sometime. I always get the impression with yoda figures that they sort of stop halfway through the sculpting process and just give up on him. Well it's time they went the whole nine yards. With a soft goods outer robe they could give him a bicep cut on his arms and make him really poseable. Superflipflopflyin' Yoda is long overdue.