PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Rocks vs. Lapti Nek

Pendo
01-03-2003, 06:30 PM
The Special Editions replaced the Lapti Nek song in Jabba's Palace with the Jedi Rocks song. But which one do you prefer.

I prefer Lapti Nek, it seems more Star Warsy and alien-like than Jedi Rocks. Plus puppet Sy Snootles is by far better than the dreaded pixelated one :p.

So what do you prefer?

PENDO!

Beast
01-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Gotta go with "Jedi Rocks". It's just a wild outlandish alien musical number. Besides, that one line of "Lapti Nek" that sounds like she's singing "He's Muscle Man" makes me groan everytime I hear it. The extended band and back-up singers/dancers just seems more like somthing Jabba would reveal in. His extravagent tastes just scream "faster, more intense". ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
01-03-2003, 07:45 PM
I like the song and puppets of Lapti Nek, but I like the extended band/dancers of Jedi Rocks. I don't like the title of the song "Jedi Rocks." They could have been a little more creative.

So, overall, I guess I like Lapti Nek better.

LTBasker
01-03-2003, 07:51 PM
I dunno, can't really decide.

Lapti Neck - Quite subtle but it seems more like something they'd be playing late at night or something. Hated the "macho/muscle man" line but that could easily be changed in the soundtrack.

Jedi Rocks - The dance number wasn't that great and was too distracting from the rest of the film (hated Sy's basic "uh-oh!" when Oola fell in) plus the CGI wasn't done very well. It seems like something that would be in Jabba's Palace cause it seemed more like a less-strict nightclub which would have that sort of music, the whole music video scene just doesn't fit though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2003, 09:57 PM
On the SE VHS from 1997, GL said that he thought it would be kinda funny to take a break and have a big musical number in the middle of a Star Wars film. I think I saw Lapti Nek when I was 7, but I don't remember it other than the bad puppet Sy. Oh well, I like Jedi Rocks a lot, but 1997 CG is a no-no.:dead:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-03-2003, 10:13 PM
I prefer Jedi Rocks.

JediTricks
01-04-2003, 03:36 AM
I can't stand Jedi Rocks, this piece should be renamed "Rick McCallum Sucks". One of the most offensive uses of CGI in all of SW combined with one of the least-inspired and most-Earth-sounding pieces of music ever to leech its way into the films - I simply cannot abide this disgusting creature known as "Jedi Rocks".

Now that I've shamelessly bashed the other side, let me tell you that I do indeed like Lepti Nek... a lot. I thought that bit had a song that felt very otherworldly and yet seedier than the Modal Nodes' tunes in the ANH cantina - thus setting a nice piece of atmosphere. As for Sy Snootles being very puppety, I agree but I prefer puppets to CG almost every time because I find it easier to suspend belief with something tangible.

Also somewhat related to this, I prefer the Yub Nub Ewok celebration song waaaaaaay over the new ROTJ end-tune for basically the same reason, the new song sounds too Earth-based; of course, I also think it feels too much like it's trying much too hard to produce overemotion and was hammered into the film in a very ham-fisted fashion.

mini-rock
01-04-2003, 10:50 AM
I'm going to have to say Lapti Nek. I don't know if it's b/c I'm used to that over the Jedi Rocks tune, but that's what I prefer. Now if they can do that with the CG Sy that would be better.

About JT's comment on the end tune of ROTJ I have to disagree. I do like the "Yub Yub" song (in 6th grade my music teacher made us sing it for God sake) but the new tune seemes more like a victorious end ending, and fits the closing of the Saga better IMO.

Which ever GL decides to use for the AE's is all good with me though.:D

stillakid
01-04-2003, 11:30 AM
As a musical piece, I like Jedi Rocks better. But I have to put that aside and say that Lapti Nek is better suited as an "alien" kind of sound that I would expect a distant civilization to have. Jedi Rocks is a little to Brittany Spears "pop-py" to me. Now, maybe if GL CG's in a shot of In-Sync...:rolleyes:

BoShek
01-04-2003, 07:31 PM
The Lapti Nek song for sure!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-12-2003, 03:45 PM
I listened to my tape (as in cassette tape, pre-CDs) a whole buncha times and I think I found the lyrics to "Lapti Nek." I like that one the best. "Jedi Rocks"? Jedi Stinks! :frus:

bobafett07728
01-13-2003, 10:37 AM
Jedi Rocks is a disgrace!!!!!! That is one of the main reasons I don't watch the ROTJ Special Edition. The added band members, and dancers was cool. . . I'll give George that, but the song just seemed too cheesy. CG Sy was pretty lame too. . . I kinda liked the puppet better. That, and the fact that the Ewok Celebration Song is gone, and the dance around the fire looks horrible are the reasons why my ROTJ:SE has gone unviewed.

Darkross
01-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Yes...I like the Lapti Nek song WAAAAYYYYYY better than the Jedi Rocks song. I don't care for the CG in ROTJ...and wish they would undo the Sarlaac pit changes. I liked Sarlaac the way he was...a PIT! Anyway...GL is going to do what GL wants to do...and RM is a YES man along with alot of other people who work for GL.

stillakid
01-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Darkross
Yes...I like the Lapti Nek song WAAAAYYYYYY better than the Jedi Rocks song. I don't care for the CG in ROTJ...and wish they would undo the Sarlaac pit changes. I liked Sarlaac the way he was...a PIT! Anyway...GL is going to do what GL wants to do...and RM is a YES man along with alot of other people who work for GL.

The Sarlaac alteration was just another in a long line of "influences" that George "borrowed" from Frank Herbert's DUNE series.

In fact, the "new improved" Sarlaac is nearly identical to the sandworm as depicted on the cover art of Heretics of Dune (paperback).

It's crystal clear that George is trying his utmost to emulate DUNE in many ways whenever he has the chance to illustrate Tatooine (even using his desert planet as the "hub" of activity, just as Dune does).

mini-rock
01-13-2003, 01:53 PM
I have to agree with you there DR. The Sarlacc pit should have stayed the way it was, or maybe just more tentacles. That beek he has now reminds me of something I've seen before (in another movie perhaps). Just can't put my finger on it.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
That beek he has now reminds me of something I've seen before (in another movie perhaps). Just can't put my finger on it.
Feed me, Seymour!
To be a dentist... you have a habit for causing great pain!

Is that it, m-r?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
The Sarlaac alteration was just another in a long line of "influences" that George "borrowed" from Frank Herbert's DUNE series.

In fact, the "new improved" Sarlaac is nearly identical to the sandworm as depicted on the cover art of Heretics of Dune (paperback).

It's crystal clear that George is trying his utmost to emulate DUNE in many ways whenever he has the chance to illustrate Tatooine (even using his desert planet as the "hub" of activity, just as Dune does).
That, and the old one looked like an evil female reproductive system with teeth and tentacles.;) :p :crazed:

But it doesn't look too much like the thing you posted, just a little bit.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-24-2003, 09:12 PM
I found my lyrics to that great tune, on my word processor. What? Never heard of it? Well, before everyone had a computer, everyone had a word processor. Anyway... :rolleyes:

“Lapti Nek”
Ahhh quicktin ick fizzi.
Zong, haukin chicki his jahoo. Oww!
Nah kupaqueen ah sufrsfah.
Koochaz bastik soosizza it.

Chimi tusky mori.
Queek nek beeug ahzinun.
Hah nahkti nux atnuthin.
Koochaz bastik soosizza!

Lapti nek, hutta wah weejek gutta feetwee ek.
Lapti nek, keepa hotta wet, juxtbe pahpep.
Lapti nek, hutta wah weejek zubba zohjaget. Wow!

Ah quicktin ick fizzi.
Chimi tusky mori.
Queek nek beeug ahzinun.
Hah nahkti nux atnuthin.
Wah doh piquee kuh strikikah.
Koochaz bastik soosizza it!

Lapti nek, hutta wah weejek zubba zohjaget. Wow!

Tek soosizza it!

Chimi tusky mori.
Queek nek beeug ahzinun.
Hah nahkti nux atnuthin.
Koochaz bastik soosizza!

Lapti nek, hutta wah weejek zubba zohjaget.
Tek soosizza it! Wow!

Lapti nek, lapti nek.
Lapti nek, lapti nek.
Lapti nek, lapti nek. Wow!

Lapti nek, lapti nek.
Lapti nek, lapti nek.
Lapti nek, lapti nek. Wow!

They're not necessarily the true words, but they sound about right!

mini-rock
01-25-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Feed me, Seymour!
To be a dentist... you have a habit for causing great pain!

Is that it, m-r?

Little Shop? Nahh! But I can just imagine that Sarlacc beak sayin "FEED ME!"lol:p

El Chuxter
01-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Oh, c'mon, Bel-Cam. As everyone knows, I revealed the true words to Lapti Nek in another thread a few months ago :):

I turned in a Guernsey
So? Hocky chicky his-jow, ooh?
OW! I'm caught between two superstars
Could jazzman exert his eyes?

Jimmy touched my mommy
Could Nate be under Zima?
Eh, Lapti Nek's a nothing

Lapti Nek
Better run to Jacque, who you think we are?
Lapti Nek
Keep your hat on it, just keep it there
Lapti Nek
Better run to Jacque, Zabu's all you get
Woah!

I turned in a Guernsey
Jimmy touched a mobile
Would you make me some more Zima?
Eh, Lapti Nek's a no fun
Well don't pick any superstar

Lapti Nek
Better run to Jacque, 'cause you think we are
Lapti Nek
Keep your hat on it, just keep it there
Lapti Nek
Woah!

Man zoos his eyes!

Jimmy touched his mommy
Well, main New York is zoomin'
Eh, Lapti Nek's a no-pan

Lapti Nek
Better run to Jacque, who you think we are?
Lapti Nek
Keep your hat away, just keep it there
Lapti Nek
Man zoos his eyes!

Woah!
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Wow!

Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Wow!

:crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Chuxter, I wasted several minutes (perhaps even up to hours) of my life about 10 years ago to come up with the EXACT lyrics. Yeah, you heard me right. I retract my "They're not necessarily the true words" statement. :rolleyes:
And to prove that I am a moron, I wasted even more minutes (perhaps even up to hours) of my life listening to the worse of the two songs to come up with the 'correct' words to "Jedi Rocks," too. See?

“Jedi Rocks”

Gooh nee teh.
Nah, nah, nah.
Ah lahwah.
Gooh nee teh!

Tahtah eemaytay tooraw mee-ee doo.
(Eemaytay tooraw)
Pah mee nocka chang hoh gong ong teka doo, ooh.
Teetah kootuh oopapa chicka nah tee hay.
(Chicka nah tee hay)
Yoo bang withma commbay aywang peeuhlang. Zay!

Gooda wang chooku tiki papa teka wippatah yallee-oh.
Yo. Ahhhhhhhh! Ya yee, uh!

Ee meh tsa sah moe mah kee.
Sayow la ooh jah see.
Mow mah!
(Nah too dah)
Tek yoosahma la soozah.
(Nah ya dah)
Hey! Poo ehday ya!
(Poo doo see)

Huz wuhkee yooza.
Woop… uh oh!

Ooh… wah.
Yow wah!

Sigh... brilliance and genius are so emotionally taxing... :p

Deoxyribonucleic
03-28-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I can't stand Jedi Rocks, this piece should be renamed "Rick McCallum Sucks". One of the most offensive uses of CGI in all of SW combined with one of the least-inspired and most-Earth-sounding pieces of music ever to leech its way into the films - I simply cannot abide this disgusting creature known as "Jedi Rocks".

Now that I've shamelessly bashed the other side, let me tell you that I do indeed like Lepti Nek... a lot. I thought that bit had a song that felt very otherworldly and yet seedier than the Modal Nodes' tunes in the ANH cantina - thus setting a nice piece of atmosphere. As for Sy Snootles being very puppety, I agree but I prefer puppets to CG almost every time because I find it easier to suspend belief with something tangible.

Also somewhat related to this, I prefer the Yub Nub Ewok celebration song waaaaaaay over the new ROTJ end-tune for basically the same reason, the new song sounds too Earth-based; of course, I also think it feels too much like it's trying much too hard to produce overemotion and was hammered into the film in a very ham-fisted fashion.

Hmmm, let's bring this one up again too :)

I feel the same way you do about Jedi Rocks JT, allbeit, maybe not AS strongly :)

But I LURVE Lapti Nek, I can't believe they took it out! In fact, as I often watch my orginal original trilogy set, I find myself singing Lapti Nek wherever I go! Strange looks from passersby do not deter me from one of my favorite tunes of all time. In fact, I take pride in knowing that only a select amount of people even remotely know what I'm singing ;)

As for Puppets v. State of CGI (1997), the Unanimous decision of this court (this court being of sound, mind and body) rules in favor of Puppets.

TheDarthVader
04-13-2003, 06:31 PM
I don't have a preference. My vote is undecided. I just go with what is given to me. If I want to hear Lapti Nek I just pop in cd4 of my four cd star wars trilogy soundtrack collection and hit track 11. I am not as "depressed" about Lapti Nek leaving as some here. But I can understand your demise. I like Jedi Rocks. I do not like the name because it sucks but I like the way Lucas decided to redo it. It seems to fit the environment of Jabba's palace better...unorganized, loud, and exciting.

JediTricks
04-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
I like Jedi Rocks.... It seems to fit the environment of Jabba's palace better... unorganized, loud, and exciting. Are we talking about the same "Jedi Rocks"? I'll give you loud, though I don't remember Jabba's palace really being loud so I'm not sure I see how that'd fit. Same with exciting, Jabba's palace seemed seedy and low-key to me, like everybody was plotting and whispering, but not doing anything for fear of setting off situations that would get them killed. As for "unorganized", Jabba's palace does seem that way but Jedi Rocks is anything but - it's this choreographed, orchestrated song & dance number, certainly not unorganized.

TheDarthVader
04-13-2003, 10:22 PM
I think leia pulling out a thermal detonator was both unorganized and exciting. I believe it was exciting when oola fell into the rancor pit. I believe it was unorganized with all the "goons" and aliens all standing around, walking around, not knowing for sure where they stood with Jabba. It was exciting when luke tries to kill jabba. It became unorganized when luke killed the rancor (he was supposed to die). It was unorganized when Bib Fortuna allowed luke inside (he was supposed to not admit him). I believe it was exciting when han was released from the carbonite chamber, same with when joh begins to sing and the audience gets a screen full of mouth as he bellows out loudly. So, I would have respectfully disagree with what you said.

JediTricks
04-13-2003, 10:54 PM
I already agreed with you on "unorganized", remember? :D However, all your "exciting" examples are examples of actions, not environment. You said it fit the ENIVIRONMENT of Jabba's palace, the environment up until Jedi Rocks contains none of those actions and doesn't seem to have any excitement "in the air", as it were.

Your only "loud" example is from Jedi Rocks itself, that can't count now can it? :D

TheDarthVader
04-14-2003, 12:16 AM
oh...I'm a fool :D I see what you mean. Everything is cool except for the fact of Jedi Rocks being unorganized! Oops... sorry about that. ;) Yes, I guess the moves are pretty organized!!!!!!!

Jayspawn
04-14-2003, 05:05 PM
I like Lapti Nek better. It's more alien-sounding and it's classic as well.

TheDarthVader
04-14-2003, 07:29 PM
As far as the beak of the sarlaac, I think it looks like the tremors monsters. Is that it, mini-rock? Or is it the space slug in ESB?

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 08:26 PM
A buddy loaned me his DVD bootlegs and one of the scenes I cued up to check the quality (they're not DVD-quality images, but they're nicer boots than most I've seen) was the Lepti Nek scene. It's been a while since I saw it in widescreen since I only have the THX pan-n-scans (not by choice) and it really is a great, lively scene, much much better than the overproduced Jedi Rocks. Part of what makes Lepti Nek so great is that there's this sleazy tune being belted out and all the aliens in the sides of the screen are grooving out on it like they're drunk or high or something adding to the sleaze atmosphere. I can't imagine how Lucas & McCallum felt Jedi Rocks would reproduce that feeling which helps set the tone of the entire first 3rd of the film.

Kidhuman
08-02-2004, 09:55 PM
I loathe Jedi Rocks. Lapti Nek rules

jeddah
08-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Lapti Nek. All the time. Jedi Rocks doesn't belong in SW Universe but I like it on its own merits, esp the RnB influence backing singers. :cool:

jeddah

Bosskman
08-03-2004, 05:08 AM
Lapti Nek is absolutely awesome. It, Jabba, Ewoks and AT-STs are what came to mind as a kid when I thought of ROTJ. Jedi rots blows. I hate it with a burning hatred beyond explanation. The puppet Sy was one of the coolest aliens in SW ever. It has now been ruined by that CG piece of Garbage. I like the new band members, but why did they ruin that magnificent specimen of seediness that WAS Jabbas palace to me?

Curse jedi rots! We hates it FOREVER!

JEDIpartner
08-03-2004, 08:13 AM
"Lapti Nek" for sure. It still had that "otherworld" sound. "Jedi Rocks" is far too terrestrial sounding. It's like the original "Cantina Band" track. Yes, it sounds much like old 1940s music, but the curious additions of steeldrums as well as other instruments not otherwise used in such music gave it a much more alien feel.

bigbarada
08-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Jedi Rocks made Jabba's palace seem like a bad musical (or any musical for that matter) in which the characters suddenly erupt into perfectly choreographed song & dance numbers at the drop of a hat. Stupid. :stupid:

Lapti Nek gave Jabba's Palace a much more sleezy vibe, sort of like an alien version of a Vegas night club. :cool:

Thus, I choose Lapti Nek for setting the proper mood within the context of the movie and not grinding the entire story to a screeching halt just for a silly musical interlude.

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Jedi Rocks made Jabba's palace seem like a bad musical (or any musical for that matter) in which the characters suddenly erupt into perfectly choreographed song & dance numbers at the drop of a hat. Stupid. :stupid:

Lapti Nek gave Jabba's Palace a much more sleezy vibe, sort of like an alien version of a Vegas night club. :cool:

Thus, I choose Lapti Nek for setting the proper mood within the context of the movie and not grinding the entire story to a screeching halt just for a silly musical interlude.What scares me most is that you just nailed Lucas & McCallum's intentions when adding Jedi Rocks! That is precisely what they wanted and precisely what they forced onto us, and I too think it is stupid.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-03-2004, 11:13 PM
I think Lucas and company were looking for something to change in order to entice more people to see the S.E. and they decided that Lapti Nek was one major scene they chose, completely unnecessary of course. Jedi Rocks reminds me of a bad MTV video.

Lapti Nek is better because of the reasons mentioned above. Max Rebo and co. are the house band, jamming away, with no glitz or glitter. Plus it has a better melody and a tune you can hum to.

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 01:16 PM
You could almost argue the point that Jedi Rocks was only added so Hasbro would have an excuse to sell 'all-new' action figures based on the ROTJ:Special Edition. But, of course, the simple fact that no new Jabba's Band action figures were made until over a year after the Special Editions were released would discredit that.

If Lucas was so desperate for something to change in ROTJ, then why not complete the sequences with Ten Nunb and the B-Wings?

Turambar
08-04-2004, 01:39 PM

Exactly! It reminded me of one of those Simpson's musical episodes where everything starts out normal, then they start singing and suddenly everyone in the whole town is singing!
It's just plain silly. Not to mention probably the WORST CGIs used in cinema to date. I can't think of one worse. Although JarJar and Nass were overall more irritating, even those cartoons weren't as phony looking as the jedi rocks singers. That scene where the bug-like singer opens his mouth really wide for a closeup is sooooo looney tunesey that I cringed every time I watched it.

JediTricks
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
If Lucas was so desperate for something to change in ROTJ, then why not complete the sequences with Ten Nunb and the B-Wings?That's an excellent question. As I've stated before, Lucas made changes to ESB and ROTJ simply on a last-minute whim, the Special Edition project was originally only about saving ANH's print before it deteriorated beyond use, the ESB and ROTJ prints were in no danger. Lucas felt that while he was "saving" ANH's print, he might as well go back and fix the Jabba thing that had always haunted him, and once there make more changes and more changes. Then, when the buzz got out about the ANH SE coming out for the 20th anniversary and people were getting excited, Lucas felt he might as well do the same thing to the other films and release them altogether, and thus made arbitrary changes to ESB and ROTJ. Like the beak in the Sarlaac, where the heck did Audrey 2 come from and why is it there? Where is this giant drum in Jabba's Palace that needs 2 guys to pound on in every other scene? Why fix the mattelines around the snowspeeder interiors that nobody ever noticed but leave the horrible matting issues on the Rancor scene and the awful rotoscoped black-outs for the Emperor's close-up lighting rig in his hood?

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 03:32 PM
That scene where the bug-like singer opens his mouth really wide for a closeup is sooooo looney tunesey that I cringed every time I watched it.

That scene really bothers me, as it is just a really poor directorial decision to go ramming a camera down Joh Yowza's throat, if anything in the SEs screamed "look at me! I'm a brand-new, state of the art special effects shot!" that was it. Yet another example of 'just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.'

JT, I never understood why Lucas would suddenly change his story on ROTJ and complain about how he didn't have time to complete everything he wanted to complete. Previous to the Special Editions, Lucas and ILM were pretty much unanimous as to how ROTJ was a dream to work on and it came out so perfectly in the end. Was this just more of the Lucas-snowjob?

CropDuster
08-04-2004, 10:41 PM
This is without a doubt, and no surprise, a slam dunk for lapti nek. The only surprise on this thread was that someone actually voted in favor of the cartoon musical. Well, I guess it was no surprise considering who...

JediTricks
08-05-2004, 06:43 PM
BB, Lucas has always maintained since '77 that the Jabba ANH scene went unused because the technology was not around to allow him to properly insert the Jabba character into the film and make it look real. However, that's pretty much the only sequence I know of that Lucas has ever lamented his hands being tied on from that long ago. I think as the years wore on, Lucas took more and more critical looks at the first film the further he got from it and saw the seams showing and by '97 had pulled a midlife-crisis maneuver when the repair job on the ANH print allowed him to do more. Power corrupts, as they say, and that's what it seems like happened here.

As for all the character interaction with the camera in Jedi Rocks, I hated that so much the first time I saw it, these awful cartoon monstrosities were not just making goofy music and de-sleazing a great scene, they were also breaking the 4th wall and removing this audience member from the fantasty universe.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-05-2004, 09:52 PM
As for all the character interaction with the camera in Jedi Rocks, I hated that so much the first time I saw it, these awful cartoon monstrosities were not just making goofy music and de-sleazing a great scene, they were also breaking the 4th wall and removing this audience member from the fantasty universe.

That was a great post. I've always disliked that since the first time they did it with boba fett in SE ANH. :rolleyes: People can like the SE's all they want but for me it will always be the orginals. There's absolutely nothing in the SE's that makes them so earth shatteringly better than the orginals to warrant any "happy feelings" on my part. In fact, I get embarrassed for the horrible changes Lucas made to them. It's like he travelled back in time and made them worse.

2-1B
08-06-2004, 01:55 AM
I'll take Lapti Nek over JR any day . . . it just works better on all levels.

I think the old 3 piece band fits the mood of Jabba's palace much, much, better.

However, I do have a love for Rappertunie and I really think he's cool and doesn't seem out of place.

I could live with them wiping from 8D8 to a new shot of Rappertunie playing his instrument and then lead into Lapti Nek with that . . . but you know, I always loved the editing of the Gonk's scream right into Snooty, so I don't know how Raps could be inserted very well.

I could definitely take him as a background player, that's for sure. I like the Wequay on the gong, that's cool, too.

But like I said, I can live with just the 3 piece. :D

scruffziller
08-06-2004, 08:20 AM
I like Lapti Nek better. It's more alien-sounding and it's classic as well.Exactly. The problem with the SE and the PT is that GL was trying to assimilate too much of our pop culture into the SW universe. Like Jar Jar, saying Esqueeze me! Where did he see Wayne's World?:rolleyes:

Lapti Nek always seemed kooky, strange and gloomily smooth, if that makes any sense. Which seemed to set the mood of Jabba's palace of being spooky and a place you would not like to be in like a haunted house. Jedi Rocks sounds too happy and makes me feel that Jabba's palace is a happy fun land and makes me feel way too relaxed and unthreatened. So Jedi Rocks steals away the emotion I got from the OR-ROTJ.

Knightfall
08-09-2004, 12:26 PM
I loathe Jedi Rocks for one reason, and his name is Joh Yowza. That stupid looking thing drives me nucking futs! That idiotic sequence in general, and Joh Yowza in specific, is the reason why I haven't seen RotJ in years (since the only copy I own is the SE). The phallic Sarlacc doesn't help matters, either. Lapti Nek, on the other hand, rules, and I listen to it on a regular basis.

bigbarada
08-10-2004, 04:35 PM
The phallic Sarlacc doesn't help matters, either.

Alright, enough comparison of the Sarlacc to genitalia. Before the SE, everyone thought it symbolized either a woman's nether-region or an anus. Now that Lucas changed it people are calling it phallic? :confused:

Jeez, talk about one-track minds. :rolleyes:

Knightfall
08-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Sorry, from now on I'm referring to the SE Sarlacc as "bratwurst-esque." ;)

tagmac
08-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Definitely gotta go with Lapti Nek. It fit the mood of Jabba's palace so much better, and the Sy Snootles puppet wasn't all that bad - heck it was 100 times better than that lousy CG version.

Overall, I've never really had a problem with the changes in the SE's, including the end song (miss the "Yub yub" version, but the new one is alright). Only major issues I ever had was Greedo shooting first, and the ignoring of the matte lines on the Rancor. Empire's changes (Wampa, Bespin shots) were actually pretty good. As for the sarlaac, well....I always thought the change was made to put an end to the initial comparisons of the original version (and the ridiculous "Freudian" explanation because Lucas had been going through a divorce around the time Jedi was being made). While the beak didn't bother me at first, I can see how these new "comparisons" make the pit version seem much better by comparison.