PDA

View Full Version : Rare Dr. Doom Marvel Legends?

gsr-jedi
01-04-2003, 03:40 AM
I don't collect the Marvel Legends line yet, I plan to start after I pay for school. But I know that the Dr. Doom figure is short-packed to begin with, but he also comes with a variant. What are the two Dr. Dooms? Thanks in advance.

jpak001
01-04-2003, 03:50 AM
The two Dooms are:

The real Dr. Doom (human face under the mask)
Doombot (robot face uder the mask)

The Doombot is the rare variant, and it is pretty rare indeed. They currently go for around $30 - $40 on ebay. Sure wish I could find one at a store!

Prince Xizor
01-04-2003, 06:18 AM
I have only seen Doom once, I snatched it up right away. He isn't the greatest figure, but he still looks cool.

And Good Luck on starting now. Around here all that is left is Iron Man and Cap. America. I would get figures like Hulk, Thing, and Torch online if I were you.

QLD
01-04-2003, 12:14 PM
I have never seen a Marvel Legends figure in the store yet, and I haven't gotten any of series 2 or 3 yet.

However, I don't care for collecting variants, so it's all good.

sith_killer_99
01-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Actually, they also made a Gold Dr. Doom variant.:rolleyes:

Darth Cruel
01-04-2003, 12:46 PM
They also made a Gold Iron Man Variation. And a Yellow Daredevil variation. I like the way they do the variations.

Jayspawn
01-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Usually I don't like variants, but the Marvel Legends varients are pretty cool. I didn't find Yellow Daredevil or the Doom Bot, but I was lucky enough to find the silver and gold Iron Man. It looks cool!

gsr-jedi, my TRU still gets in Captain America and Iron Man along with Series 2, so you could still get them at retail.

Just a reminder, Series 3 is already out.

QLD
01-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Well fortunately, the variants have been version that I didn't want.

Such as Blue/Gold Iron Man, Doombot, gold Doom, Trenchcoat Thing, Yellow Daredevil, etc.

If they made the regualar versions, variants, like McFarlane does with their sports figures, that would **** me off, and I might not buy them. I still don't understand why they make a teams more popular colors the "variant". Oh well. Guess I'll stick with Vick in his road jersey.

sith_killer_99
01-04-2003, 01:01 PM
The other day I saw Thing with overcoat on, I guess it's a packaged variation.

All of these variations would drive me crazy, I'm actually glad I decided not to collect these. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great, but too many V.V.V.H.T.F. variations, like the Gold Doom/Iron Man or the yellow Daredevil.:crazed:

It would be one thing if it was just a packaged variation, coat on vs. coat off. At least you can open them and go along your merry way. With these things, it's pretty much a completly different figure.

Although I gave up with the SAGA SW figures, I'm still pretty much a completist by nature.:cool:

QLD
01-04-2003, 01:14 PM
I have been a completist, but not with variants. I just like to make sure I have the one version of the figure.

But yeah, the variants are annoying. But they know it adds "collectibility" to them, because it adds a sense of value.

But I refuse to pay more, for the same figure with a different paint job. That darn Michael Vick variant is going for over 50 bucks now! :eek:

gsr-jedi
01-04-2003, 03:15 PM
I think around here I might have a little trouble finding series 1 now, but series 2 I have generally seen all of them pretty consistently. Thanks for the help.

jpak001
01-04-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the gold Doom is just the poster version. Meaning = all non US ML figures come with a mini poster instead of the comic. Series 2's had gold trim on the posters. I've seen all 4 figures like this. Also, I think for series 2 they distributed some through U.S. cases, cause I've actually seen one or two at a TRU. I don't think there's an actual gold Dr. Doom figure, but someone please correct me if i'm mistaken :)

I usually don't go for variant figures either, but since ML only releases 4 figures per series (and don't usually do more than 3 variants per series), it makes it a little easy if you want to be a total completist. I'll be happy with just the regular ones, but it would be nice to have 'em all! So far I've found Gold Iron Man & Yellow Daredevil (I know it's Spiderman Classics, but these are ML figures to me).

Marvel Legend variants so far (that I know about), If I miss any someone please correct me!:

Gold Iron Man (series 1)
Blue Iron man (Wal-Mart exclusive)
Hulk w/articulated hands (series 1)
Doombot (series 2)
Human Torch without the "4" on his chest (series 2)
Thing w/trenchcoat & glasses (Wal-Mart exclusive)
Wolverine without mask (series 3)

And if you count 'em as Marvel Legends, variants from the SpiderMan Classics series:

Spider man 2099 (repaint of black spiderman, KB exclusive)
Scarlet Spider (repaint of black spiderman w/new accessories, KB exclusive)
Yellow Daredevil (series 2)

I'm sure they'll do some more from Series 3 too, I wouldn't mind seeing a Thor with his beard & different battle helmet, that would be cool!

jjreason
01-05-2003, 01:54 AM
I like the variations, but am not hunting for them. I too include Spider-Man Classics (as well as the villains from the new "Spider-Man" run as well, the red carded ones) in my ML collection. Too bad I can't find the super poseable Hobgoblin!
I would like to have found the yellow DD, but then my evil money grubbing scum nature may have popped up and placed the dang thing on ebay :o . Im so ashamed, yet I did nothing wrong! Mens Rea.

jpak001
01-05-2003, 03:23 AM
Keep looking for that Hobgoblin! I've seen him pop up more frequently lately, and he is one awesome figure. The best of the Spider-Man series so far IMO.

I'm still searching for the new Venom myself....

jjreason
01-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Im actually thinking of ordering from our Sears catalogue, they're offering a series of 6 figures including Lizard, Ock and Hobgoblin as well as venom and 2 silly Spideys. That way I can sell the spideys to recoup a little cash and keep the ones I want. I was hoping they'd come to our store, but no luck yet. I don't want to wait any more!

JediCole
01-06-2003, 02:28 AM
I found one of the Doombot Dooms at TRU and decided to put it on eBay. As a JOKE I put a Buy it Now price of $60.00! In less than 24 hours it sold!
I could not believe that anyone would really pay $60.00 for that thing!

Prince Xizor
01-06-2003, 03:06 AM
Damn $60...

I have new the Venom from the Spiderman classics (The new one, not the dumb one with the mouth wide open and tounge sticking out). I had to open up a case on a Walmart floor to get it. There were 3 in the case.

It's a pretty cool figure except for the v-cut legs, which suck.

I also got the Super Posable Hobgoblin. That figure rules!

jpak001
01-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
I found one of the Doombot Dooms at TRU and decided to put it on eBay. As a JOKE I put a Buy it Now price of $60.00! In less than 24 hours it sold!
I could not believe that anyone would really pay $60.00 for that thing!

Yeah.. I also remember the Yellow Daredevil going for over $200 at one point. It's just insanity!!!!

I hope the unmasked Wovie isn't going to be this HTF. That's one variant I really DO want to have....

Oh yeah, I scored the new Venom & Spider Sense SpiderMan at lunch today too. Looks pretty sweet, can't wait to get home and bust them open!

smurfvader
01-06-2003, 08:10 PM
I am desperetly looking for the Doombot because I like this figure. I have the variant Iron Man, but I negelected to buy the Spider-Man 2099 from KB and am regreting it. The Hobgoblin is the better of the new line of Spider-Man figures, I just wish they would have done the colors a little closer to his actual costume. The new Venom is okay, but I hope that one day we can get a real Venom with no beak and no stupid tounge.
The yellow DD came down in price a while ago because some company got a hold of them and sold a lot of them overseas. I'd still like to get one.

JIm

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-06-2003, 10:41 PM
Saw the Dr. Doom figure with regular face today at a comic book shop uptown. I wasn't impressed. The guy working there and i both commented how his face isn't nearly mangled enough. They just have some random scratch on his cheek. IMHO, the best marvel legends figure has been that Hulk. Amazing figure. Wolverine is a close 2nd, but Hulk is just awesome. :D

Adam
01-07-2003, 02:12 AM
The unmasked Wolvie is ok I guess, but a variant I would buy would be Wolvie's redish-brown costume. Be nice if they threw in a different base, but thats just a pipe dream. :(

jpak001
01-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Sweet!

My girlfreind called me from Target A little while ago, turns out they had a Human Torch variant (without the 4 on his chest). She scored it for me, and it's on the way!

I know it's not a major variation, but I never did like the idea of a flaming 4 on his chest, I don't remember seeing that in any Fantastic Four comics......

JediCole
01-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Saw the Dr. Doom figure with regular face today at a comic book shop uptown. I wasn't impressed. The guy working there and i both commented how his face isn't nearly mangled enough. They just have some random scratch on his cheek.

Unfortunatly Toy Biz chose to go with the John Byrne version of Doctor Doom. During Byrne's tenure on Fantastic Four, he established the "official" Dr. Doom origin in which Victor von Doom suffered a disfiguring accident that led to his decision to lock his horrid face away behind a mask. Of course Byrne's von Doom was so vein that his cruel disfigurement was a tiny scratch on his beautiful visage! It was amoungst the lamest of lame comic book concepts. Byrne is notorious for this type of thing. He swings from brilliant to pathetic with terrible rapidity and repitiion!

Dr Zoltar
01-15-2003, 08:18 AM
jpak001,

Are you sure the Human Torch without the 4 on his chest is the variant? That's all I seem to find at my local Target.

jpak001
01-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Actually, I just read yesterday at another site that this was a running change in the line. So I guess it's not an official variant, but is a variation of the figure (like the Hulk w/different hands). I forget which site it was but think I have it bookmarked at home (at work now :dead: ).

So maybe the one with the 4 on his chest will end up being the rare one, or mabye neither will, who knows? I still like the one without the 4 much better!