PDA

View Full Version : The error Hoth set on the front page, real or fake?

Turbowars
01-04-2003, 10:46 AM
I say fake. Back when these things were hard to get a hold of, I saw a few of these that had been opened with a blade at the bottom. Someone would cut between the 2 layers of cardboard and the cut throught right where the bubble curves up. Pretty good job, not noticable at 1st, but I was sure something was not right. The one I found had the old POTF2 Hoth trooper. It was missing a few items to. I also found a Endor set with the helmets tore off the rack. It had to be the same guy. Some people just have to much time on their hands.

Beast
01-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Of course it's fake, just a chance for Thrawn to mud sling at Hasbro. He even knows people do this sort of thing. He's answered questions about people finding stuff with older figures in the package. He's said time and again that people stole the figure, and returned a cheaper figure in it's place.

And for cripes sake, there is even what appears to be a small white tear line in the lower left hand corner of the card where the bubble was pulled up. As I said in the other thread about this, next he'll claim all those Royal Starships with the wrong Astromechs are examples of Hasbro's "Screwups or Super Cheap Recycling". :rolleyes: :p

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16850

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
01-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Yeah, and another thing is, this isn't NEWS. I read better news in the forums than on the front page. We get Photos that turn out to be real and they never see the light of day on the front page.

Mace Windex
01-04-2003, 11:07 PM
I saw the SAME figure on all three packs today at Target. Does anyone have a side by side comparison? Maybe I didn't see the old hulking rebel but it sure looks like the one on the page!
Mace

sith_killer_99
01-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Your best bet is to check them out by opening them one at a time. Just go to the collectors database to get the pics. Go to Saga and Accessory sets, click on Hoth then go to the bottom and click on "carded Front" then click on "carded front NEW". The window will alternate from one pic to the other.

You can see pretty clearly that the Target Accessory set Hoth Trooper is different. He is still a big hulking POTF2 style figure, but the difference is noticable when compared.

jjreason
01-05-2003, 01:46 AM
It's all in the paint. The new one is wearing worse makeup than Julie Andrews in "Mary Poppins". Me no likey that figure. The old one is better, and SHOULD have been included in this set.

sith_killer_99
01-05-2003, 09:56 AM
It's not just the paint.

For example, the old Hoth Rebel had goggles molded to him and the Accessory Set Hoth Rebel does not. The differences are actually pretty striking when you look at one then the other.

187-Maul
01-05-2003, 10:30 AM
the actual rebel included is the POTF2 luke hoth body with the hoth rebel head and the "new" one is the complete hoth rebel (in case anybody didn't know):)

sith_killer_99
01-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Yep, I was just looking at my copy of "The Action Figure Archive" and it is indeed the body from Luke Hoth with the head from the original POTF2 Hoth Rebel (only re-painted).

Thanx;)

Turbowars
01-05-2003, 12:14 PM
I thought is was the POTF2 hoth lukes body and the new hoth set head. A boil and pop job.

Beast
01-05-2003, 02:18 PM
The Rebel Rehash included in the Hoth Accessory Set, was meant to copy the old vested Hoth Soldier that was in the vintage line. It was a cheap way to try to get that figure done. It sort of works, because some of the Hoth Rebels did have uniforms like that that were more like Luke's. Only thing that would have made him better was goggles on the hat. Though I did find one image of one of the Rebels without the goggles on his hat. :)

http://decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/hoth/light/images/calalder.gif
http://decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/hoth/light/images/tamizanderrey.gif
http://decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/hoth/light/images/tigranjaniro.gif

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

targetdude
01-06-2003, 04:35 PM
these sets are cheeply glued together i see them falling off the card all the time it would be vary easy to glue them back together with a diffrent figure in them.