PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Obi-Wan Kenobi use the Jedi mind trick on Jango in Jango's apartment?

Darth Trymybestus
01-04-2003, 02:56 PM
I thought about this while watching the movie a few nights ago.. it could have been like this...

Jango Fett: I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: *waves his hand *You will come with me to Coruscant, we have a lot to discuss.
Jango Fett: I will come with you to Coruscant... we have a lot to discuss.

Then again, we wouldn't have had the rumble in the rain and the movie would have been completely different, ahh just a theory I have :D

sith_killer_99
01-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Mind tricks only work on the weak minded.

Beast
01-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Plus remeber that Obi-Wan doesn't really know what to think of the whole clone army and Jango Fett situation. It was possible that the Jedi did order them. He had to report back to Yoda and Mace to get further orders on how to proceed. That's when Yoda and Mace told him that the Council never authorized a clone army and to bring Jango back to Coruscant for questioning. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
01-04-2003, 03:11 PM
well.. my next question is... why didn't he use the mind trick when he ran out of the doors? I know that the fight started pretty much straight away... but surely, he could have used it then? :)
And also... Obi Wan knew this was the guy behind the plot to kill Senator Amidala so he could have taken him away just for that? :)

Pendo
01-04-2003, 03:21 PM
I'll have to go with Sith Killer's post, mind tricks only work on the weak minded. I wouldn't exactly call Jango Fett weak minded.

But on the other hand, his Clone Stormtroopers are weak minded in Episode IV, but remember - they were made more dosile than the original host. Obi-Wan knew this so tried his powers on the Stormtroopers.

PENDO!

Beast
01-04-2003, 03:22 PM
He would have had to take the time to try to calm his mind, when Jango's pulling out his blasters and shooting at him. I don't care what Jedi you are, you get that saber out there so you can deflect incase their mind isn't that weak. :)

Obi-Wan thought he was the guy, but didn't have concrete proof at the moment. He also just got the info about the Clone Army dropped in his lap. He probably wanted to proceed with caution, and cosult Yoda and Mace first.

Plus remember that he never actually sees the rocket suit inside the closet, so he doesn't have any rock solid evidence, other then the saber dart. Once on the landing pad, he sees Jango in full armor with Boba, so he's got his proof.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
01-04-2003, 03:27 PM
I thought he did see the suit? because when Jango moves to tell Boba to "rood echk so heet" or whatever he says :D Obi Wan had a clear view of the room?
I think Jango is weak minded isn't he? Well, he's not strong minded like a Jedi Knight. I mean the mind trick has worked on lots of beings?

Beast
01-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Nope, check the DVD audio commentary. They shifted Obi-Wan's head so that he only gets a quick glimpse right before the door shuts. They wanted people to be sure that Obi-Wan didn't get a good enough look to be sure what he saw. :)

Nah, just look at how Zam resists Anakin trying to force her to tell. I'm pretty sure that bounty hunters of the Old Republic era specially train themselves to try to resist a Jedi Mind Trick. Even if it would have worked, it doesn't seem to be an instant effect. Look at Anakin calming the reek in the arena, for an example. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
01-04-2003, 03:47 PM
they are all interesting thoughts but that's the way movies are, I've always watched movies and said "why didn't he do this?" etc but that's what Star Wars is, lots of cliffhangers.
I am still a little baffled as to why Jango chose to stay on Geonosis and fight because it was dangerous and he has a kid, if that was me, I would have left when the Jedi arrived :D
But if he hadn't have stayed.... Boba wouldn't have been orphaned and grown up to be the bounty hunter we all know and love :)

Jaff
01-05-2003, 03:04 AM
I'm with Jar Jar on this one. Jango is dangerous and not weak minded. In the Episode II book Obi - Wan thinks that Jango is a very dangerous person, and anyone with enough discipline to stay cool and calculate attacks against a jedi is very focused. Why else would Dooku/Tyrannus pick Jango. If your going to clone someone who's not a jedi pick the next best thing.

mini-rock
01-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Hmm, I don't remember anyone saying that Obi-Wans head was shifted so he couldn't see the suit in the audio commentary. I'll have to listen to it again. From watching that scene though I thought it was clearly obvious that Obi-Wan had seen the suit. As jango is moving from Obi-Wan's view telling Boba to close the door, Obi-Wan (to me anyway) is looking directly at the suit and then kinda looks down a bit as if to say yeah, this guy's a friggin liar.

Also you have to remember that Obi-Wan's assignment was to investigate, not to apprehend(sp?). Doing so would exceed his mandate.

Beast
01-05-2003, 03:53 AM
The audio commentary states what was intended, but that it was left ambigous. So that we arn't supposed to be sure if he saw the suit or not. Likely he saw a glimpse, or wouldn't have been so suspicious of Jango.

But good point about the exceeding the mandate thing. Obi-Wan is a buy the numbers, follow the rules, do what your told and not a thing more, kind of guy. He didn't inherit Qui-Gon's attitude of, "We will do what we must".

He shows that in Padme's apartment when him and Ani get into the argument over exceeding the mandate. Good one Mini-Rock, that coupled with the whole not getting a good look at the rocket suit explains everything that happens in that scene. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Gungan Warrior
01-06-2003, 04:50 PM
If you remember what anakain skywalker said to padme you would haver your answer. The mind trick only works on the weak minded. I seriously doubt Jango Fett had a wee mind:D

The Overlord Returns
01-06-2003, 05:02 PM
something tells me anakin screaming "Tell us now!!!" like a child wasn't exactly a prime example of the jedi mind trick.....

Jaff
01-07-2003, 11:10 AM
The answer to this thread is in the novelization. One of the coolest parts of the book was the conversation between Jango and Obi-wan. Obi-wan thought he saw armor but wasn't sure. Jango was facing off with obi-wan, and obi-wan knew he was dangerous. He couldn't read jango, and had to keep an eye on him. That was why jango moved while they were talking.

mini-rock
01-13-2003, 02:00 AM
The answer to this thresd is on the screen too. Watch the scene. You can clearly see Obi-Wan lean to the left a bit while he is talking to Jango, and that is why Jango has Boba close the door.